Buy a color printer [inkjet] or black and white [laser] for light home use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
random_walker_77
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for home use?

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
random_walker_77 wrote:The problem with inkjets and light use is that the ink dries out before you get a chance to use it. Laser printers don't have that problem, but color laser's don't have photo-level quality.

Look into getting a networked laser printer. Here's one that's $25, shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8145586-pantum- ... newegg-com
Wow, thanks random walker.

What's the replacement toner cost like for this inexpensive laserjet printer?
According to the wiki summary at slickdeals, $8 will buy you enough toner to get a few thousand pages printed. After that, you might check ebay for generic cartridges, or look into a similarly inexpensive printer. Heck, at those prices, buying a couple printers might be the way to go. There are also sporadic deals on color laser printers that go for under $100. How many pages do you anticipate printing over the next 3 years?

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:52 pm

random_walker_77 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
random_walker_77 wrote:The problem with inkjets and light use is that the ink dries out before you get a chance to use it. Laser printers don't have that problem, but color laser's don't have photo-level quality.

Look into getting a networked laser printer. Here's one that's $25, shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8145586-pantum- ... newegg-com
Wow, thanks random walker.

What's the replacement toner cost like for this inexpensive laserjet printer?
According to the wiki summary at slickdeals, $8 will buy you enough toner to get a few thousand pages printed. After that, you might check ebay for generic cartridges, or look into a similarly inexpensive printer. Heck, at those prices, buying a couple printers might be the way to go. There are also sporadic deals on color laser printers that go for under $100. How many pages do you anticipate printing over the next 3 years?
We don't print very much, it would be light use.

Interested in having a scanner feature for convenience.
Last edited by Fat-Tailed Contagion on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by wander » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:56 pm

I still use B&W Brother laser printer. I replaced cartridge once for $12. It took about 5 minutes. My office laser printer always complains low level toner, I am lucky not have to deal with it.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1705
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by F150HD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:Hi Bogleheads,

My Canon color printer is getting older and Canon will not support scanning drivers for WIndows 10.

Should I buy a black and white economical printer for home use and outsource color printing to Walgreens, Costco, etc.
or should I buy a new Canon color printer?

And what models of printers are most highly recommended for light home usage?

Thank you!

-FTC
Skip any inkjet, if you print infrequently, the heads dry up, royal PITA when you need to print. Maybe you've been there. I literally gave away a Canon for that reason....to replace the cartridges it cost more then the printer!

You can buy a nice HP wireless printer for under $100. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/HP-CE657A-BGJ-Las ... er+printer

It comes w/ a toner cartridge (read to verify). I should never need another printer again! No color prints....but I never print in color anyway.

random_walker_77
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for home use?

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:46 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
We don't print very much, it would be light use.

Interested in having a scanner feature for convenience.
You could go with a multifunction device as others have suggested. Another option is to get a standalone scanner. Google found me this flatbed scanner for $50 after rebate: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
If you look around, you might find better/cheaper flatbed scanners.

The benefit there is that it'll hopefully be better and have higher resolution (not sure -- worth checking) and allows you to decouple the scan requirement for any other printers you might get in the future if, for example, you decide to upgrade to a color laser. But it would take up more space.

I actually have an old inkjet multifunction printer, and the only reason I've kept it around is for the flatbed scanner. But it was slow and I haven't actually used it to scan anything in over a year. Most of the time, I just take a picture of whatever document, as that's much faster, easier, and more convenient. I save the scanner for docs that might need to be printed out again later. (An 8.5x11 at 300dpi is about 8 megapixels, which even my camera phone has)

random_walker_77
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:51 pm

On closer reflection, that scanner was a manufacturer refurb, but the reviews for the device are actually pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfection- ... B009KBLYDM

Oftentimes a device dedicated to a given function just performs better than a jack-of-all-trades...

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 pm

random_walker_77 wrote:On closer reflection, that scanner was a manufacturer refurb, but the reviews for the device are actually pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfection- ... B009KBLYDM

Oftentimes a device dedicated to a given function just performs better than a jack-of-all-trades...
Thanks, that's a good point to consider.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

wcshaff
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by wcshaff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:04 pm

I would weigh in also with the Brother monochrome laser (HL2270DW). I have two and they have worked great. The only caveat is that they signal needing toner well before the toner is depleted.

User avatar
snowshoes
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by snowshoes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Imho, well discounted refurbs are actually preferable to NIB. The factory does not want them back, "again". They fix them properly!

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:23 pm

wcshaff wrote:I would weigh in also with the Brother monochrome laser (HL2270DW). I have two and they have worked great. The only caveat is that they signal needing toner well before the toner is depleted.
I have heard of others having the same experience with that message.

Is there a way to disable that ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:24 pm

snowshoes wrote:Imho, well discounted refurbs are actually preferable to NIB. The factory does not want them back, "again". They fix them properly!
Thanks, where is the best place to find a refurb ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

daveatca
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Color, yes

Post by daveatca » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:31 pm

Brother
Pick your model.
C = color
D = duplex
W = wireless

stan1
Posts: 6079
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by stan1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:32 pm

These's days we've found that we use a color scanner much more often than a color printer. We try to minimize paper we keep around the house. We have a Brother B&W duplex networked laser printer that's now 13+ years old and we'll try to keep it going with repairs as long as we can since it is rock solid and has a lot of metal under the plastic case. We use a Fujitsu ScanSnap for quick scans (90+%) of paper we want to keep. We also have a Canon bed scanner that we keep in a drawer for when we need a high quality photo scanned. We've had no need for color printing in years.

User avatar
snowshoes
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by snowshoes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
snowshoes wrote:Imho, well discounted refurbs are actually preferable to NIB. The factory does not want them back, "again". They fix them properly!
Thanks, where is the best place to find a refurb ?
Unless I misunderstood this thread, which is entirely possiable, these 24.99, no tax, or shipping, new egg ones were "refurbs". Thats a great price!

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by telemark » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote: I have heard of others having the same experience with that message.

Is there a way to disable that ?
There's a setting so it will continue printing after the light goes on, but the indicator stays on. If that bothers you some black electrical tape should do the job :)

I'm up to 588 pages on the introductory cartridge, still going strong.

random_walker_77
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:15 pm

snowshoes wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
snowshoes wrote:Imho, well discounted refurbs are actually preferable to NIB. The factory does not want them back, "again". They fix them properly!
Thanks, where is the best place to find a refurb ?
Unless I misunderstood this thread, which is entirely possiable, these 24.99, no tax, or shipping, new egg ones were "refurbs". Thats a great price!
I'm pretty sure that $25 printer is brand new. The $50 flatbed scanner is a refurb.

B&W laser printers under $50 are a fairly common occurence on slickdeals.

dumbmoney
Posts: 2292
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by dumbmoney » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:54 am

Black and white lasers are a good value. Be sure to get one with "duplex" (double sided) printing, that's a great feature.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

virgingorda
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:30 am
Location: New England

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by virgingorda » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:30 am

We have a good scanner separate from the laser printer. You can actually use it as a copier and send the copy directly to the printer, even though the two are different brands and in different rooms! But with respect to scanning, more and more often I use the CamScanner app on my phone. It works remarkably well to create PDFs or jpgs, and works anywhere.

ljb1234
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:59 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by ljb1234 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:24 am

I picked up a Samsung C410W color laser at Staples on sale for $90.00. It goes on sale often and has wired/wireless/cloud and works with Windows 10. I bought a separate scanner for when I need to make copies or just scan (not that often).
Working great so far. Prints BW but also color if you need it.

Still do photos at Kodak Kiosk at CVS if I need to.

regards

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:51 pm

http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-Pro ... ct_1180386

I went to Staples today and the tech sales guy said this HP printer is more economical than a B&W laser printer.

He said that these HP's were designed to be lower cost printing as a response to the B&W laser market.

What do you guys think ? We really don't want to get involved in the monthly ink program they offer.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

crg11
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by crg11 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-Pro ... ct_1180386

I went to Staples today and the tech sales guy said this HP printer is more economical than a B&W laser printer.

He said that these HP's were designed to be lower cost printing as a response to the B&W laser market.

What do you guys think ? We really don't want to get involved in the monthly ink program they offer.
There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.

rs899
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by rs899 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:08 am

There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.
The Brother inkjet I have, with $2 generic cartridges, has a fair chance of beating a laser. Before you buy anything, check to see what the refills cost,

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:29 am

rs899 wrote:
There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.
The Brother inkjet I have, with $2 generic cartridges, has a fair chance of beating a laser. Before you buy anything, check to see what the refills cost,
What model do you have ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:30 am

crg11 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-Pro ... ct_1180386

I went to Staples today and the tech sales guy said this HP printer is more economical than a B&W laser printer.

He said that these HP's were designed to be lower cost printing as a response to the B&W laser market.

What do you guys think ? We really don't want to get involved in the monthly ink program they offer.
There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.
What model laser would you recommend ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Sourc3
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Sourc3 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:44 am

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
crg11 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-Pro ... ct_1180386

I went to Staples today and the tech sales guy said this HP printer is more economical than a B&W laser printer.

He said that these HP's were designed to be lower cost printing as a response to the B&W laser market.

What do you guys think ? We really don't want to get involved in the monthly ink program they offer.
There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.
What model laser would you recommend ?
I bought a Canon image class from Amazon for $90 that has scanner, copier, black and white printer, fax and wireless printer functions. It is simply the best printer I owned in 15 years. The original cartridge lasted me 2 years. Then I found a no name replacement on eBay for $10 a piece for $30 in a 3 pack. I strongly suggest you check it out

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 am

Sourc3 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
crg11 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-Pro ... ct_1180386

I went to Staples today and the tech sales guy said this HP printer is more economical than a B&W laser printer.

He said that these HP's were designed to be lower cost printing as a response to the B&W laser market.

What do you guys think ? We really don't want to get involved in the monthly ink program they offer.
There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.
What model laser would you recommend ?
I bought a Canon image class from Amazon for $90 that has scanner, copier, black and white printer, fax and wireless printer functions. It is simply the best printer I owned in 15 years. The original cartridge lasted me 2 years. Then I found a no name replacement on eBay for $10 a piece for $30 in a 3 pack. I strongly suggest you check it out

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A09UCY/ref ... B007RFYKO8

This one?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

User avatar
backpacker
Posts: 1620
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by backpacker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 am

+100 to getting a laser printer.

Home color printers don't print as well as commercial printers, so you'll get better quality paying for color the rare times you need them. Laser B&W white printers are faster and infinitely cheaper.

skepticalobserver
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:22 am

I tossed the color printer a few years ago. Really, who needs color, kids? If you're doing any serious commercial color printing it's going to be outsourced.

My low cost (>$100) B & W laser printer (HP LaserJet P1006) is reliable and the cartridge lasts much longer than individual color cartridges. When the printer dies it's cheap enough to replace, like a toaster. Are there any TV repairmen extant?
Last edited by skepticalobserver on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by knpstr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:24 am

I don't need color printing. But I recently went from an inkjet to a laser printer (HP), and it so much nicer in all respects.

I have a standalone ScanSnap scanner
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

DSInvestor
Posts: 10902
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:47 am

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:What model laser would you recommend ?
We recently bought 2 Brother HL-L2360DW B&W laser printers which is a duplex (prints on both sides of paper) and has ethernet and WiFi. It supports Google Cloud Print and AirPrint. AirPrint capability is great as it allows printing directly from iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and our Macs. I bought one for myself last thanksgiving week for about $90. I recently bought a second one for my daughter when I saw it on sale in Best Buy Canada for about CAD99 (USD70). I run mine on ethernet (close to my router) and my daughter runs hers on WiFi (no wire run to that location).

Brother TN630 standard toner cartridge is $29 (Amazon) and is rated for 1200 pages
Brother TN660 high yield toner is $49 (amazon) is rated for 2600 pages.
Third party toner cartridges are available at lower cost - $10-20.

We also have an older Brother HL-5250DN which is a duplex network printer. Very reliable and toner cartridges last a really long time.
Wiki

User avatar
FuyuKei
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Tennessee, United States

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by FuyuKei » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Hate to say it but "guy at the office store" doesn't always know best and have your best interests at heart. Sometimes they just need to move product because they have overstock/high markup on something. To me the main advantage of an inkjet printer is being able to print in color frequently. Since you're not doing that I'd go with laser. Inkjets also clog if you don't use them much, so that can waste your money.

This is a $104.95 Brother Laser Black/White Printer with Scanner capabilities. It comes with the first cartridge which should last you 700+ pages.
Standard refill: $29.95 1200+ pages
High Yield refill: $49.37 2600+ pages

Depending on your setup, you may want to also order a "Type B USB connector cable" (runs from printer to computer) to go with it.

Jonathan
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Jonathan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Figure out your toner/ink refill scam avoidance strategy beforehand. Home refill kit, piece of tape over the toner eye, adjusting default settings away from highest quality, printing in color #010101 instead of black, etc. Search forums for the EXACT model printer you're intending to purchase (not the next model up, after the company figured out the workaround), and make sure that the applicable scam avoidance strategy is still working.

Razor and blades biz model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing

Sourc3
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Sourc3 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:05 am

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
Sourc3 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
crg11 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:http://www.staples.com/HP-Officejet-Pro ... ct_1180386

I went to Staples today and the tech sales guy said this HP printer is more economical than a B&W laser printer.

He said that these HP's were designed to be lower cost printing as a response to the B&W laser market.

What do you guys think ? We really don't want to get involved in the monthly ink program they offer.
There is no way a ink jet will have a lower cost per page than a b&w laser. Most laser's last a long time too.
What model laser would you recommend ?
I bought a Canon image class from Amazon for $90 that has scanner, copier, black and white printer, fax and wireless printer functions. It is simply the best printer I owned in 15 years. The original cartridge lasted me 2 years. Then I found a no name replacement on eBay for $10 a piece for $30 in a 3 pack. I strongly suggest you check it out

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A09UCY/ref ... B007RFYKO8

This one?

Mf216N is the Exact number. It is slightly more expensive at $99 on Amazon.

crg11
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by crg11 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:29 am

I have the Brother HLL-2360DW, which is a B&W laser, duplex, and supports USB, wireless, & ethernet connectivity. Works really well, haven't had a problem with it so far.

The best part for me is that it supports AirPrint, so all of my iOS devices can easily print to it, which is very handy.

User avatar
SpringMan
Posts: 5370
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by SpringMan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:01 am

crg11 wrote:I have the Brother HLL-2360DW, which is a B&W laser, duplex, and supports USB, wireless, & ethernet connectivity. Works really well, haven't had a problem with it so far.

The best part for me is that it supports AirPrint, so all of my iOS devices can easily print to it, which is very handy.
I purchased the very similar Brother HLL-2340DW version over 6 months ago and am very happy with it so far. I dumped my Canon ink jet which took 6 ink cartridges which constantly were in need of replacement. While printing out my income tax the Canon wanted more ink and that was the last straw. The Brother monochrome satisfies our needs. Though it will work wireless, I simply plugged it in to a USB port on my desktop computer.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for home use?

Post by Marmot » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:59 am

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
tigermilk wrote:We went with a Brother compact laser printer, black/white only. We don't do much, if any, color printing, and those small ink cartridges are 1) expensive and 2) short-lived. The laser printer has been great. 1500+ pages out of the original cartridge and we haven't even installed the "higher capacity" cartridge yet. The replacement cartridges are relatively cheap. So cheap, in fact, you could probably afford to keep a cheap color printer in the closet for when you really need one. But for us, it was great to not be a slave to the ink cartridge replacement scam.
Thanks tigermilk for the feedback.

Yes, I am most interested in getting out of the color ink cartridge "scam" line of business.

This seems to be very apparent to me but for some reason people seem to continue to buy them?

We bought a brother based on the recommendations from this board. It is absolutely the best call. Dump the expensive HP inkjets.

User avatar
SpringMan
Posts: 5370
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by SpringMan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:19 am

Printer ink ounce for ounce costs more than blood. Ink jet printers are a lot like razors. They can give away the razors and make their profit selling expensive razor blades.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

User avatar
magellan
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by magellan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 am

For scanning and copying, many newer models can automatically scan both sides of originals, some with just a single pass. Apparently, the single pass approach uses multiple scanners for speed and to simplify document handling to minimize jams.

This $200 Brother printer has single pass duplex scanning:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRA ... 1_3&sr=8-3

SurferLife
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:57 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by SurferLife » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:54 pm

I've been using BW laser for nearly 25 years now (only 3 printers during that time and 2 still work) and I would never go to a color or BW inkjet. The cartridges just don't last long enough, dry out and have to be replaced, and then there is the cartridge scam that has been previously mentioned. Spend money on a laser toner cartridge and get a new one or refill every 18-24 months or so. Couldn't be easier, or faster, and I've never had a problem.

I did buy a color inkjet a few years ago and didn't use the color for awhile. The cartridges went bad, then my replacement cartridges didn't work. That printer was a money pit. I actually threw the thing in the trash I was so infuriated with it. It was a Lexmark Prospect Pro205. Give me my BW laser and I'll be happy. If I need photos done, I just use some of the services on the internet and have them mailed to me. So much easier, and I'm sure, cheaper in the long run for my purposes.

The two lasers I still have are a small desktop Samsung and Brother MFC that is rather enormous. My first laser, an HP4L was a champ, lasted forever. Hated to see that one go.

random_walker_77
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by random_walker_77 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 am

Happened to see another laser printer on sale. Dell B&W, with duplexing. $35, or 2 for $50.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8145586-pantum- ... newegg-com

Reportedly can use generic toner with a minor modification.

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:36 pm

We ended up getting the Brother MFC-J5520DW

http://www.costco.com/Brother-Business- ... 52311.html

Does anyone know if there are any ink hacks to be aware of for this model ?

Thanks, FTC
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

DSInvestor
Posts: 10902
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:We ended up getting the Brother MFC-J5520DW

http://www.costco.com/Brother-Business- ... 52311.html

Does anyone know if there are any ink hacks to be aware of for this model ?

Thanks, FTC
You'll get killed on inkjet cartridges. I'd return it and get a brother B&W laser printer. We have Brother HL-5250DN and two HL-L2360DW printers that we're extremely pleased with. Consumables last a long time (years) and affordable. The HL-L2360DW printer can print on both sides of the paper, has USB, Ethernet and WiFi connectivity (flexible placement options). It also supports AirPrint which is great for Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. Google Cloud Print is also supported. We bought our HL-L2360DW printers last november for about $99. Highly recommended.
Wiki

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:54 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:We ended up getting the Brother MFC-J5520DW

http://www.costco.com/Brother-Business- ... 52311.html

Does anyone know if there are any ink hacks to be aware of for this model ?

Thanks, FTC
You'll get killed on inkjet cartridges. I'd return it and get a brother B&W laser printer. We have Brother HL-5250DN and two HL-L2360DW printers that we're extremely pleased with. Consumables last a long time (years) and affordable. The HL-L2360DW printer can print on both sides of the paper, has USB, Ethernet and WiFi connectivity (flexible placement options). It also supports AirPrint which is great for Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. Google Cloud Print is also supported. We bought our HL-L2360DW printers last november for about $99. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else have suggestions?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

User avatar
DonCamillo
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for home use?

Post by DonCamillo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:45 pm

tigermilk wrote:We went with a Brother compact laser printer, black/white only. We don't do much, if any, color printing, and those small ink cartridges are 1) expensive and 2) short-lived. The laser printer has been great. 1500+ pages out of the original cartridge and we haven't even installed the "higher capacity" cartridge yet. The replacement cartridges are relatively cheap. So cheap, in fact, you could probably afford to keep a cheap color printer in the closet for when you really need one. But for us, it was great to not be a slave to the ink cartridge replacement scam.
This is what we did for each of the three computers in our house. Moved from 2 Canon and 1 HP Inkjet to Brother Laser. I got tired of buying at least one $12 cartridge every month, and having to use a different printer because one could not be used until the next time I went to the store. I tried stocking up in advance, only to find that my printer refused to use cartridges because they had an expiration date.

We almost never use printed pictures any more. Our best photos are on iPads and iPhones. The rest of our pictures are on a network drive attached to all of our computers, or in iPhoto on one of our iMacs. I also copy photos to my PC, because they are easier to access than iPhoto.

I will never buy another HP product. From bloatware on my PC to ridiculous prices for ink cartridges, this is a company that treats customers like dirt.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)

Drovor
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Drovor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am

I just bought the Brother DCP-L2520DW on sale ($90) at Costco which can also scan. Ordered online so can't give any feedback regarding the printer but it is a nice price! I'm replacing my Canon so I don't have to keep buying ink cartridges. Also if you buy the toner with the purchase, you get $20 off as well.

http://www.costco.com/Brother-DCP-L2520 ... 28069.html

Naismith
Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for home use?

Post by Naismith » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:41 am

random_walker_77 wrote:The problem with inkjets and light use is that the ink dries out before you get a chance to use it. Laser printers don't have that problem, but color laser's don't have photo-level quality.
This is true, but not everyone who needs color printing needs photo-level quality.

I do a lot of technical writing and report preparation, so I need color printing to have tracked changes printed in color so that I don't miss them as I am making final revisions, and for printing out colored graphs.

All very geeky to be sure. But for me, the color laser is the perfect fit.

I wholeheartedly agree with checking on the cost of toner before purchasing. Ours are sold at Sams.

Also, check that you have some way to update firmware on the machine....for our HP laser printer, only the Windows laptop could do the updates; for some reason our Macs could not (even thought they probably could).

brajalle
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by brajalle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:27 am

I bought a cheap-as-heck Samsung ML-1735 black & white laser printer many years ago. Probably at least 9 years ago.

The toner cartridges last forever - you can even refill them (only about once before you have streaking issues) if you want to save a few bucks. The only downside is the high price of them (around $90 for mine - I'm not even sure the printer cost that!). The little printer has handled massive jobs and tons of printing (thousands of pages a week for a year for a presidential campaign office), down to very irregular printing the other ~8 years.

Only downside, given it's age, is that it is a USB printer - not a huge deal, I just take the laptop downstairs and print, but it doesn't work on my wife's chromebook.

We print the rare color stuff at Target or Walmart or some such (usually photos my wife wants to print).

In short, I cannot recommend enough a B&W laser for most households. You'll want to check toner replacement costs, but you really can't go wrong on these. Just make sure it supports a couple things you may want - ie chromebooks, cloud print, that sorta stuff. If cost isn't a big barrier, and given the life of toner cartridges, then you can also do a color laser. If I wasn't so frugal I'd just buy one of those to have color in case I want it, but it's hard to get rid of something so cheap that works so well (I even have a spare toner cartridge & refill left - may last me another 10 years!).

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by dbr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:28 am

I find color printing so useful that having only B&W would be inconceivable. As it turns out we have both an inkjet and a B&W laser printer. Printers themselves are so cheap you can have two and economize on ink costs.

The best option to limit costs is to just not print so much stuff.

If the application is printing photographs and making albums, I can't help much with advice there.

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Will do good » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 am

Color inks are a rip off and their print head needs cleaning all the time which is ink wasted.
B&W laser printer is the smarter choice if you don't print that often. Laser toners lasted thousand pages per toner and their ink is stable and cheap.

Why do you think printer companies are willing to sell their printers that cheap? they more than make it up on the super expensive inks.

Phil1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Re: Should I buy a color printer or black and white for light home use?

Post by Phil1234 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 am

I agree with some of the others on here. My inkjet recently died and I was considering another inkjet or laser printer. I decided on the laser and am happy with the decision so far.

I purchased the Canon imageCLASS LBP6230dw Wireless Laser Printer from Amazon for $59.99. About the same price as some inkjets, but replacement toner cartridges will be far less expensive (especially if you buy generic). So far, so good. I figure we will use Shutterfly or something similar whenever we need color photos.

Post Reply