Dental savings discount plans for implants?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author

Dental savings discount plans for implants?

Post by 10041797 »

My wife and I no longer have dental insurance and are looking into implants. Anyone know of any national dental discount/savings plans that would include implants and the abutments and crowns that are placed on them? We looked for dental insurance plans but didn't find any that covered implants.

Thanks.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: Dental savings discount plans for implants?

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I don't, but in addition to national discount plans you might look into local ones. Does your county, or municipality, or state, have something like a department of senior services or senior affairs or of the aging or anything like that? They may know of, or even sponsor, something local that doesn't require you to be of a certain age.
PJW
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Have you looked at http://www.dentalplans.com yet? Here's what's available in my zip code... http://www.dentalplans.com/dentalsearch ... =main&f=pr Go to this page http://www.dentalplans.com/dentalsearch ... countplans check Implants & Veneers, enter your zip code, and click Find My Plan to see what might be available in your area.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Clip8

Post by Clip8 »

Good luck.
I just got through spending almost $5,000 and multiple office visits for a single implant and crown.
My dental insurer, Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia, paid $22 with the rest being out of my pocket.
I have since been looking unsuccessfully for insurance or a dental plan that includes implants and bridges.
Topic Author

Post by 10041797 »

Thank you both for the suggestions. Using the link I found a couple of plans and several area dentists that participate. Has anyone had experience with these discount plans for implants?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I have long felt that if auto insurance were run like dental insurance, it would cover you for an oil change but not a collision.

If I were getting a "routine" implant, I guess I'd consider a discounted procedure. My most recent implants (still in progress), required a sinus augmentation, bone grafts, etc. I just had stitches removed from the sinus procedure today, and the next visit is ... in June 2016. The surgeon had initially opened 6 months ago, didn't like what he saw, left some graft material and closed it up. I am convinced that a lesser dentist might well have forged ahead. The risk would have been on me.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Dental implants I have had were totally on me for payment being on medicare. They are costly and few dental insurances cover them. The only consolation comes in itemizing deductions at tax time. Prior to dental implants, we were not able to itemize.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

My dentist submitted an implant proposal to MetLife federal dental, high option; they covered practically nothing and I never went though with it. Actually, there are so many exceptions in the plan (and MetLife is considered one of the better ones) I don't know why I hold on to it.

There are one or two implant outfits that advertise in the DC metro area claiming they can do the job in one visit. Can anybody explain how this is even remotely possible?
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

skepticalobserver wrote:My dentist submitted an implant proposal to MetLife federal dental, high option; they covered practically nothing and I never went though with it. Actually, there are so many exceptions in the plan (and MetLife is considered one of the better ones) I don't know why I hold on to it.

There are one or two implant outfits that advertise in the DC metro area claiming they can do the job in one visit. Can anybody explain how this is even remotely possible?
My understanding (as explained to me as a patient...) was that the one-visit claims are related to only the installation of the implant... not the extension (if needed) and crown. And that it requires the surrounding bone to be in good shape and for the hole left from the extraction to be smaller than the implant. For me it wasn't an option.

For me I had the tooth extracted and prepped to help the bone grow. After that occurred I went back and had the implant put in. Then after that had a while to set (i.e., bone to grow around it) it was back to have the extension put on the implant and then the crown put on that. Since you're waiting for bone to grow it's not a 1-2 day wait but weeks or months.

I wound up paying for everything but the extraction out of pocket. Insurance would have covered a bridge... but I live far below my means so I can afford the better choice.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I wonder what percentage of people actually benefit from the one visit implant. I think most of us had some bone loss that necessitated the implant, although I guess a young person who lost a tooth in a contact sport might be a candidate.

For me, I'd be happy with a one-year process, much less one visit!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

10041797 wrote:Thank you both for the suggestions. Using the link I found a couple of plans and several area dentists that participate. Has anyone had experience with these discount plans for implants?
If you do decide to go with a discount plan be sure to talk to the dentists you're considering before you sign up to verify they're still participating and will give you the discount advertised.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Years ago my employer didn't offer dental insurance so I looked at a few dental discount clubs. When I called a few dentists from the list, they didn't participate and never even heard of those plans.

One dentist asked me why pay for a plan when you can just ask me to work out the payment and discount directly?

I think you maybe better off negotiating with a dentist since they know you don't have insurance they may charge you less and put you on a payment plan.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

I just finished having one done at mu regular dentist and it was about $6,500.00 and took about 9 months. Before I had it done I talked to my sister-in-law who had retired frem a dentist office. She told me that for all of the implants that their office had to repair or that were troublesome, they were done by a "One Day" dentist.

Additionally, another friend with no insurance had to have 10 teeth pulled. I told him about the dental schools and he went to the University of Texas dental school and he was very pleased. Price was about $150/tooth. I also told him that extractions were simple compared to implants so if he was considering an implant, and he is, to consider that. I dont know if I would trust their experience for an implant.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Dental insurance isn't real insurance... When you really need it, it pays little to nothing. Covered services, such as cleanings may or may not equal the amount paid in premiums throughout the year.

In my opinion, it's only worth having if someone else (employer) is paying for it.

I did look at a discount plan through a web search that identified my dentist as a member and when I called to verify found they did not participate in that plan.

Dental insurance = personal savings or emergency fund for us.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

tbradnc wrote:Dental insurance isn't real insurance... When you really need it, it pays little to nothing. Covered services, such as cleanings may or may not equal the amount paid in premiums throughout the year.

Dental insurance = personal savings or emergency fund for us.
Agreed. I really wish the government would just allow everyone to have HSA without the need for HDHP. Oftentimes, dental work is a lot more expensive than the deductible on HDHP. I know someone who's had to fork out $25K for bone graft and implants.

Heck, I've had some expensive dental work done, too (~$10K for root canal and crowns). Thankfully, I had FSA with my employer and I was able to get all the dental work done in the 2 years before Obamacare lowered the FSA cap to $2,500.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Back when I got 3 implants in the early 2000s I got my Medical/Dental Insurance to pay for a good portion of the work. My dentist and oral surgeon filled paperwork saying this was medically necessary work. This got the sinus lift and the bone grafts covered under medical. Then my company insurance covered $2K of the implants per year. And since the work was done over 2 years I only paid a few $K.

Talk to your dentist and oral surgeon about the work and see if it might be covered.

Good Luck.
Topic Author

Post by 10041797 »

Thank you everyone for your valuable contributions. I've had 2 implants done this year. One failed and was replaced at no cost by the dentist. Have to wait 3 months to go back for the abutments and crowns. If my lowers get completed with implants, I think I'll opt for dentures for the uppers as I've read that they have a much greater likelihood of failure and sinus cavity issues. I have too many teeth missing now to be a candidate for bridges, partials or other such devices.

Implants appear to be a very expensive, lengthy and painful process. It is very difficult to find a good dentist. I visited a half-dozen dentists last year to get estimates. I had screened the dentists just by their online reviews. It was like going to buy a used car. I got high-pressure from the dentists and their front-office to sign financial commitments immediately after the visit. The cost and the approach was markedly different for practically every dentist. Another anomaly that surprised is that practically any dentist, periodontist or oral surgeon can do implants. No special post-grad degree or training required. Looks to be a very lightly (if at all) regulated business.

Has anyone had experience with both dentures and implants and could comment on which ended up to be the better option? A liquid diet is looking better all the time:-)