Any Regrets Getting Rid of Land Line?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FrugalInvestor

Re: Any Regrets Getting Rid of Land Line?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:34 pm

We don't have a landline but we do have a VOIP line for the house - similar to OOMA but a different service (Voipo). I could certainly live without it but find that the line quality is better than our cell phones. It also has features we like and can configure online such as call-forwarding and voice mail that goes into our email, a nice feature especially when we're traveling. It's very affordable - about $7 per month - so we keep it.

Edit: As others have mentioned, having the VOIP "landline" also serves to keep our cellphone use in check which allows us to use very low-cost prepaid plans. We're typically able to use the VOIP line for calls that are going to use many minutes (i.e. catching up with family and friends).
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:05 pm

livesoft wrote:Our land line is used for our internet. We do not have cable..
You still use dialup? I didn't know that was offered anymore.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
livesoft wrote:Our land line is used for our internet. We do not have cable..
You still use dialup? I didn't know that was offered anymore.
:) Yep, but they call it DSL now.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:14 pm

BigJohn wrote:For those that have cancelled their land line..... Did you do anything for emergency contingencies before you cancelled? Do you have any regrets?
Nope. There are certainly situations where a landline is more reliable here such as hurricanes but we have not found it worthwhile to maintain a landline solely for that reason. The last reason we needed a landline was for our prior security system. We changed over 3 years ago to one that is cellular and have never needed a landline since. The only people we know of with landlines are elderly (e.g. our parents and so on).

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:21 pm

mptfan wrote:I cancelled my landline several years ago, and I do have one regret...that I did not do it sooner.
Exactly. Now we get to eat dinner without getting 'surveys' on whether we plan to buy replacement windows.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:26 pm

About as much as I regretted giving up rotary dial for pushbutton phones.
Or abandoning the mechanical adding machine for the laptop.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:48 pm

We got rid of our old POTS service 7-8 years ago. Verizon had stopped maintaining their copper infrastructure and the sound quality and reliability was atrocious. When Sandy went through we lost cell towers and cable internet so no phones at all for a few days. One of our neighbors still had POTS but that went out too because the local exchange had flooded.

In some cases Verizon declined to repair the copper infrastructure. People who were on that were given a cell phone base station instead.

Johno

Post by Johno » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:21 pm

We got Oooma to replace phone co landline service using the same phone number, $4/mo rather than $30+ (with $125 upfront for the machine, however long that lasts). No problems. That number is just for 911 or other emergency or unusual situations outgoing, and a valid number we can give to all the people and entities who want a phone number but we don't want to talk to. If you give your cell as primary number sooner or later it will attract lots of junk calls too. We return maybe 5% of the messages on that answering machine, and I see it blinking all the time with people, or machines, calling who don't leave messages, 99% of whom I wouldn't want to talk to. :D

And when Sandy hit this area cable (our internet) was out for a few days; the Verizon landline was out for weeks. That was actually our cue to get rid of it.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 pm

No regrets. Only happiness.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

hmw

Post by hmw » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 pm

I haven't had a landline since 2005. No regrets.

privateer79

Post by privateer79 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 pm

none... switched to ooma to have a house phone, and keep down the cell minutes... 4$/month

southbay

Post by southbay » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:27 am

I haven't had a land line since about 1999. No regrets.

The only thing close to a landline I have now is Ooma at my office. I don't even use it much, but it is a handy back-up to my cell or when I need to use 2 lines at the same time. It's a voip internet phone service that is free every month (you have to buy the device, which runs around $129 these days), although due to government rules I have to pay around $4 in monthly utility tax.

I also have Skype and Google Voice accounts, I don't use these often, but when I travel outside the U.S. the Skype app on my phone is handy for making calls over wifi.

southbay

Post by southbay » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:29 am

Johno wrote:We got Oooma to replace phone co landline service using the same phone number, $4/mo rather than $30+ (with $125 upfront for the machine, however long that lasts). No problems. That number is just for 911 or other emergency or unusual situations outgoing, and a valid number we can give to all the people and entities who want a phone number but we don't want to talk to. If you give your cell as primary number sooner or later it will attract lots of junk calls too. We return maybe 5% of the messages on that answering machine, and I see it blinking all the time with people, or machines, calling who don't leave messages, 99% of whom I wouldn't want to talk to. :D

And when Sandy hit this area cable (our internet) was out for a few days; the Verizon landline was out for weeks. That was actually our cue to get rid of it.
I also have Ooma and you can get your voicemail service turned off. It's a permanent choice. But if you don't want callers leaving messages you may be interested. Just contact them and request it. My Oooma number will ring forever and no machine picks up.

brak

Post by brak » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:40 am

This month's Consumer Reports has an interesting article on the possible health dangers of cellphones. The bottom-line is there is not enough research out there to indicate whether or not the radiation emitted from cellphones is dangerous, but it was enough to give me pause about the wisdom of giving up my landline.

CMartel2

Post by CMartel2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 am

I do miss the days when parents had a clue who was calling their kids. New guy on the line asking about your daughter? You will never know now. Or he will text/snapchat.. It is easy to say that they will just tell you. Hmmm... they were simpler times when I was a teen. :)

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 am

There was some initial hand wringing prior to our decision, but once it was jettisoned we never missed it.
Best part ... no more calls from solicitors.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:28 am

Landlines are no more reliable than cell phones where I live.

1. Landlines work when the power is out.

My cell phone works just fine when the power is out. I have Usb solar panel and wind up chargers in my emergency kit. Landlines have no advantage.

2. 911 has your address when called from landlines.

My cell phone has E911 that I set up with my carrier to my home address. Landlines have no advantage.

3. In emergencies, landlines are more reliable.

Last major earthquake in my area, ALL circuits were busy, land and cell. The news said stay off the phone if you don't need to so emergency operators can communicate. Landlines have no advantage.

The only thing I miss from landlines is I am no longer able to fax. And it boggles me why I still have to fax medical records.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:52 am

CMartel2 wrote:I do miss the days when parents had a clue who was calling their kids. New guy on the line asking about your daughter? You will never know now. Or he will text/snapchat.. It is easy to say that they will just tell you. Hmmm... they were simpler times when I was a teen. :)
Amen!

I kinda pity the kids today who can't easily be off the radar. As a kid, when I drove off in my parent's car, I was totally detatched from them; with kids today cell phones tether them to the mother ship.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:59 am

Like OP, all of our landline calls are spam and junk calls. So we are planning on disconnecting it soon. The only negative is that we'll have to upgrade to a wireless security monitoring system, which will cost extra $10 per month and involve some upfront installation fees. But we will save money in the long-term.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:07 pm

got rid of ours many years ago.
ported the land line number to my wife's cell phone.
absolutely no regrets.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Most replies sound like those I hear from my friends and neighbors. We have poor cellphone service at our home; consequently, we still have a landline. For $30 a month, we have unlimited service to all of the USA and Canada. Of course taxes and fees raise the bill to $46! I'm retired and have serious health problems, so a landline makes sense since I make most calls from home. TWC offers phone service via my cable service, but their service is unreliable. Last year a storm knocked out electric, cable, and cell service. Since our landline is buried, I was able to call the electric and cable companies to report the outages. My neighbors were glad that the guy lost in the sixties lived in the neighborhood. We do have Tracfone cellphones and Bluetooth technology in the car!

DMW

essbeer

Post by essbeer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:45 pm

Last edited by essbeer on Sun May 06, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blevine

Post by blevine » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Have cable bundle.
Used by burglar alarm.
Better quality than cell phone 4G.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Atilla wrote:No regrets except for the ugly, unused wall mount phone jack in the kitchen wall.
About 11 years ago when we went to cordless phones, we had the same problem.

Anyone, feel free to steal my idea, but I always thought it would make a nifty business to sell a product to cover them...art or something functional. How many homes must have this problem?

We use VoIP through the cable company. It is cheap...our phone/Internet bundle is cheaper ($46 after taxes/fees, 15/1 mbps) than most Internet only plans. If that changes come time to re-negotiate, I'll investigate other options. I tried Ooma before but it did not work well. A lot has changed since then (different cable company, faster speed, etc.)

I don't have a cell phone and don't want one. Cell phones do everything well except the "phone" function, especially on speakerphone (which i use 90% of the time). But my wife has a $20 cell we keep meaning to add minutes to for emergency use or the occasional "where are you?" call. So maybe I will do that someday.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:58 am

Ironically enough, these days, your "land line" might fail just when you need it the most. The phone company switched us over to their internet gizmo some months back. The phone is "supposed" to work when the power goes out with a back-up battery. Well, guess what? When both power and internet fail, so does the phone.

So, we called the phone company. After the power came back on. Asked if we could have at least one "old fashioned" land-line which would always work. Preferably with our current phone number. I suspect you know the answer.