Recognizing fabrics similar to EMS Techwick?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Recognizing fabrics similar to EMS Techwick?

Post by nisiprius »

I have gotten very fond of EMS Techwick... undershirts. That's what I usually wear as an undershirt these days. They are very pleasant to the touch, they are amazingly durable, the long-sleeved ones are great for adding just a touch of warmth on a slightly-too-cool day or serving in lieu of sunscreen.

But they're pricey.

The label simply calls them "100% polyester." It's pretty clear that they don't have an exclusive on this fabric, other pricey outdoor clothiers have similar items with similar names at similar prices. It's also becoming clear that discount department stores are starting to have things that look and feel similar when I handle them in the store--but there are also cotton fabrics that look and feel similar, so obviously I can't tell!

Anyone have any clues as to what the generic name for this kind of fabric would be? And how I can spot cheap shirts in Walmart or T. J. Maxx that might be just as good? (The problem with "buy one and try it" is that offbrand names come and go quickly and you can't be sure of finding the same thing again...)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Steelersfan

Re: Recognizing fabrics similar to EMS Techwick?

Post by Steelersfan »

Here's a thread from 2010 that says a lot are similar:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 69997.html

I have one of these but rarely wear it:

http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-Running-E ... B005OZ7RC0

I don't like that it wicks way moisture (and warmth) so fast, but you might.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

nisiprius wrote:But they're pricey.
Don't know what they are, but the EMS web site has them discounted heavily, though it could just be marketing and anhcoring. The shirt I looked at is much less expensive than my high-tech cycling jerseys which would have the same function for me.

The underarmor shirts I have are just stretch polyester shirts (no sidedness at all) and not CoolMax which has a different "weave" on inner layer and outer layer. All the "wicking" fabrics have a very slightly raised mesh so that the fabric does not touch your skin in 100% of the area it covers. Capillary action moves moisture into the fibers, but since the fibers are hydrophobic (unlike cotton), the water doesn't hydrogen bond to the fibers and is evaporated away by your body heat.

The raised mesh is probably only a factor when the shirt is stretched tight onto your skin. With a loose-fitting shirt, I don't think it would matter. The underarmor shirts I have are essentially compression shirts and show off my abs very nicely.

Here is a photo of 3 shirts showing 2 with different kinds of the "raised mesh" (white) I was writing about and 1 UnderArmor (blue). I think all are made of polyester (as opposed to polypropylene or other polymer).

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Slightly cool days,,,
Russell Men's Performance Dri Power 360 Tee

They have both long and short sleeve,,luv em :happy

Russell Men's Performance Dri Power 360 Tee

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Russell-Men-s ... e/37601998
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
etarini

Post by etarini »

I just bought some more T-shirts (white) like those you describe for summer running. It's a very soft, fine mesh (no nipple abrasion when I get sweaty). I got them online at Target, though they are available in their stores, just not the one nearest me.

They're called "C9 Champion® Men's Tech T-Shirt" (I guess if there's no cotton in a shirt these days, it's a "tech" shirt.)
The "C9" line of activeware is made by Champion and exclusive to Target. They're good quality, and I presume they're trying to steal business from more high-priced versions of similar clothing. Here's the blurb about the t-shirt:

"The C9 by Champion® Men's Tech t-shirt helps keep you cool and comfortable with fast-drying, wicking fabric and comfort seams to reduce chafing. Fabric blocks harmful rays with at least 15 UPF protection"

They're $14.99 and come in a lot of different colors; free shipping over $25. Go to the Target website and enter
"C9 Champion Men's Tech T-Shirt" in their search box.

Edit: they're not compression-fitting; I wanted something loose enough not to chafe. I've worn it as an undershirt and it has the properties you describe.
Eric
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I like Hanes cool dri Amazon sells them.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have more than a dozen polyester athletic shirts/jerseys. After posting the earlier image, I looked at my inventory and found 10 different styles of "mesh" as described in my previous post.

The Champion shirts I have do have a mesh (not smooth) texture but the grid pattern is "finer" (not as deep, closer spacing) than the photos I showed. They also snag on non-smooth fingernails.

So I would like to see a close-up photo of EMS Techwick. The online photos are not close-up enough and it appears to be more like the non-mesh UnderArmor I showed earlier.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

etarini wrote:I
They're called "C9 Champion® Men's Tech T-Shirt" (I guess if there's no cotton in a shirt these days, it's a "tech" shirt.)
The "C9" line of activeware is made by Champion and exclusive to Target. They're good quality, and I presume they're trying to steal business from more high-priced versions of similar clothing. Here's the blurb about the t-shirt:

"The C9 by Champion® Men's Tech t-shirt helps keep you cool and comfortable with fast-drying, wicking fabric and comfort seams to reduce chafing. Fabric blocks harmful rays with at least 15 UPF protection"

They're $14.99 and come in a lot of different colors; free shipping over $25. Go to the Target website and enter
"C9 Champion Men's Tech T-Shirt" in their search box.

Edit: they're not compression-fitting; I wanted something loose enough not to chafe. I've worn it as an undershirt and it has the properties you describe.
Eric

I'm a big fan of the Champion C-9 line from Target. I wear the t-shirts for spinning classes because I sweat like crazy and they dry out pretty quickly. They're also quite comfortable. There are also a number of other C-9 items that I've bought (running shorts, gym shorts, compression undershorts for working out, etc. And they're on-sale from time to time so I don't th ink I've every paid full price.
Friar1610
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I like the Target line as well. Though I mostly use them for exercise.

They come in tank top, sleeveless, short sleeve and long sleeve.

Cheap and long lasting.

My wife exercises in them more or less daily and likes them. The women's versions tend to have a flattering cut and nice colors.

Their running shorts are a good value as well, for whatever that is worth.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Another vote for the Target Champion C9 100% polyester shirts for sweaty exercise (though they have difference weaves; my favorite is the smooth one).

Their cotton-poly blend shirts are also my favorite non-exercise t-shirts (I'm wearing one now, so pulled it off to look: "Duo Dry" 60% cotton/40% polyester).

I think I recall a similar thread a couple of years ago (looking for economical UnderArmour alternatives IIRC).
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)