DIY Alarm System for Home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

DIY Alarm System for Home

Post by ruanddu »

Hello,

Looking to purchase a DIY alarm system for our home. Something fairly basic with a motion sensor, door sensor, outdoor siren and a way for my smart phone to be triggered if sensor goes off. Any suggestions?

Sidenote, I also have a Foscam FI8918W IP camera I can use as well.

Thank you.
dbltrbl

Re: DIY Alarm System for Home

Post by dbltrbl »

Costco sells these for about $ 300-500 I believe. Check on their website.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks, anyone have experience with the Costco DIY stuff, or anything else for that matter?
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

I don't have personal experience, but there have been at least a couple threads here in which people recommended the SimpliSafe system. Based on those recommendations as well as our own research, we plan to put one of those systems in our next home.
Last edited by DFrank on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
davebo

Post by davebo »

I just bought simplisafe and have been testing it out for the last 2 weeks without the home monitoring to get everyone used to it. I personally think it's an awesome system. You can buy the base system, which gets you a keychain (with panic alarm), motion sensor, 3 entry sensors, keypad, and base unit. I was worried about the motion sensor setting something off in case I have a balloon floating around my house or something, but you can actually set the motion detector to just text or email you if it goes off (as opposed to sounding the alarm).

I plan to add a couple panic buttons and the outdoor siren as well. Very easy to setup and seems to work very well.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks for this! Will check Simplisafe out further.
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

I am using SimpliSafe and I am happy with it. I like that you can start/stop the monitoring service any time.
JDot

Post by JDot »

I've heard good stuff about Simplisafe as well. I plan on using this when I get around to it...
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

terrier...
Mick

Post by Mick »

Most alarm systems only alert to a break in and hopefully scare the perp away. I prefer a more active approach of video. That way, you can hang the dude even if he runs away. Many of the video DVR controllers have motion sensing through the video feed and the capability to set off an alarm. Add the ability to see what is happening in your home remotely via video through the internet. Many will also text/email when the alarm goes off.
powermega

Post by powermega »

We recently got a system Link Interactive system through Costco and we are very happy with the system. Link Interactive uses Alarm.com sytems and equipment, which is one of the heavyweights in the industry. You get a bunch of equipment that you install (it's easy) for very little up front, and ongoing support and monitoring is $30/month. I love the home automation capability that the system has too, which Simplisafe doesn't have. If you don't care about home automation, and you also don't want central monitoring of the system, then Simplisafe could be a good option since they don't require monitoring or contracts. You could also look into Smart Things if you don't want monitoring. They have nice automation and non-monitored alarm system components.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks. I wasn't aware Simplisafe allowed you NOT to have their monitoring? To clarify, you can just use their hardware with no monthly fee? If you do use their monitoring, do they call cops like ADT, etc? Thanks.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
akd00d

Post by akd00d »

ruanddu wrote:Thanks. I wasn't aware Simplisafe allowed you NOT to have their monitoring? To clarify, you can just use their hardware with no monthly fee? If you do use their monitoring, do they call cops like ADT, etc? Thanks.
There would be no monthly fee if using the system without remote monitoring, but the system would not provide notification to a smart phone. Only their monitoring service can be used with their hardware, but the monthly rates seem reasonable at $15/$20/$25. All three rate plans will notify police, but the mid-level one will also send a text message and/or email if the system is set off. The top level plan adds access to web-based controls which allow the user to activate/deactivate the system and make changes to the system remotely.

Smoke detectors are available as options and the monitoring service would notify the fire department if a detector detects smoke. A police department and/or fire department permit may be required for the monitored system, depending on local regulations.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

ruanddu wrote:Thanks. I wasn't aware Simplisafe allowed you NOT to have their monitoring? To clarify, you can just use their hardware with no monthly fee? If you do use their monitoring, do they call cops like ADT, etc? Thanks.
One caveat, if you do not sign up for their monthly service, you will have an annoying (cannot connect to dispatcher or something warning) showing up (including audio warning), until you call them and go through a slightly tedious process of updating the system. And then if and when you want the service again, you have to do it again. The customer service is excellent and they are helpful, but just be aware there is an extra step for declining and readding service.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks for this info!
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

ruanddu wrote:Looking to purchase a DIY alarm system for our home. Something fairly basic with a motion sensor, door sensor, outdoor siren and a way for my smart phone to be triggered if sensor goes off. Any suggestions?
We've been very happy with FrontPoint and a big part of it has been their excellent customer service. They're another company that uses Alarm.com and includes some home automation (Z-Wave) capability that we have found useful. Not sure how well they would be suited to your specific requirements. I don't think their system will work without their monitoring service.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

I've been using Simplisafe for a year with no monitoring. I was going to get the monitoring, and I like their program quite well. It's reasonably priced and uses a cell signal to call out (my building has no phone land line). But after setting it up and trying it for a month or so, I decided that the presence of the motion detectors, door sensors and siren, along with window stickers, was probably enough. I've been pleased with the system, and we've only accidentally set it off once.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

A few years ago we built our retirement home and DIY installed a wired system from http://www.homesecuritystore.com/. At the time they were very helpful and we are very happy with it overall.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

I switched from expensive Brinks/ADT last year to SimpliSafe, from $35 to $20/month. Mine is basic without Smartphone apps to monitor when I'm out of the house.

For clueless like me, it was very easy to put together. Just make sure that you put on one set at a time (they were numbered).

One negative my wife did not care for: she was so used to the old system with the red light indicator, she kept forgetting that the new alarm was on which she used the small remote dongle to turn off.

So far, I've no complaint.
rkuklinski

Post by rkuklinski »

I'll add another :thumbsup for simplisafe. An aspect to consider is whether your home insurance offers a discount and what the requirements are for that discount. My policy with Amica requires the alarm to have central monitoring so I have the basic $15/ month plan and with the discount the cost is nearly a wash.
'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"
PS241

Post by PS241 »

Sorry no help. We leave the doors unlocked with keys in the ignition in the car in our driveway. :beer
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks everyone. I ordered a refurbished Simplifsafe 6 component system. Appreciate the help.