Corelle Dinnerware, anyone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
countofmc

Corelle Dinnerware, anyone?

Post by countofmc »

We use Corelle dinnerware almost exclusively. A couple of sets we were given as wedding gifts a couple of years ago.

These things are supposed to be durable, but I noticed that the outer edges of my dishes and bowls are starting to completely peel off. I noticed this recently when one of my plates got really bad, and then inspected my other plates to find the same issue.

Anyone else here own Corelle dinnerware and seen this issue? Any idea what might be causing this?
terran

Re: Corelle Dinnerware, anyone?

Post by terran »

No problems here. Our "wedding pattern" Corelle is from 2011 and we also have some hand-me-downs that would be at least a bit older than that.

Post by 111 »

I don't know about "peel" off but I a few of our do have parts of the edge that are sort squared off where something has happened. I just assumed they had chipped, but I guess it is possible that they peeled.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Had ours for years. No problems.
Wiki
jane1

Post by jane1 »

We have had ours for over 20 years. They are used everyday. No issues. Look close to new.

OP, no idea what could be causing problems. Could be a bad batch? Or some very strong cleaners?
sport

Post by sport »

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer. There may be a warranty issue here.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

I know exactly what you are referring to because I have Corelle that is approximately 15 years old and there are spots on the edges of the plates that "peeled" or are missing. I believe this may occur from placing in the dishwasher racks, but maybe just aging. I talked to a friend who has used Corelle for years and she mentioned the same thing. Maybe the dishes are not made as well or maybe certain patterns are thinner on the edges just because of the shape of the dish. The Corelle holds up very well, but it is not chip proof.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Several of my Corelle pieces are literally decades-old (hand-me-downs) and like another poster said, they pretty much look brand new. I also have some pieces that I bought several years ago, and I can't tell the difference between the "old" and the "new".
Topic Author
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

EagertoLearnMore wrote:I know exactly what you are referring to because I have Corelle that is approximately 15 years old and there are spots on the edges of the plates that "peeled" or are missing. I believe this may occur from placing in the dishwasher racks, but maybe just aging. I talked to a friend who has used Corelle for years and she mentioned the same thing. Maybe the dishes are not made as well or maybe certain patterns are thinner on the edges just because of the shape of the dish. The Corelle holds up very well, but it is not chip proof.
Yes, and it seems our experiences are different from others who have owned dishware for a long time without any issues whatsoever. My sets are no more than 3-4 years old and all of them are exhibiting this issue. Same thing with a plate I took from my parents when I went to college, that one is 30 years old or so. That one also has the edge peeling. So I'm beginning to suspect an issue with our dishwasher as you suggested. Seems like it might be that rather than "natural aging", as others have had theirs for decades with no problems.
Topic Author
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

Actually, to those of you who have owned the dinnerware for decades with no issues, may I ask how you clean the dishes? I just stick them in the dishwasher with Cascade detergent, but I'm suspecting the cleaning process might be causing my problems.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Had ours since early seventies, with no issues. Do nothing special with them; use in dishwashers, wash by hand (and I guess those are the only two options). Part of me wishes they would deteriorate (just for a change), but they are easy to use, stack compactly and I think the plain white is reasonably attractive for everyday dinnerware.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

New Corelle is not the same as old Corelle. The newer Corelle isn't as durable as it was in the past. It isn't your dishwasher or anything you're doing. If you want your Corelle to last then try Goodwill or a second-hand store. Or branch out to real dinnerware.
Topic Author
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

campy2010 wrote:New Corelle is not the same as old Corelle. The newer Corelle isn't as durable as it was in the past. It isn't your dishwasher or anything you're doing. If you want your Corelle to last then try Goodwill or a second-hand store. Or branch out to real dinnerware.
Well it's a very small sample size, but I do have one plate that's been in our family for 30 years, and it's exhibiting the exact same wear issues, hence why I'm suspecting it's something I'm doing to the dishes rather than a problem with them being poorly manufactured or whatever.
jane1

Post by jane1 »

countofmc wrote:Actually, to those of you who have owned the dinnerware for decades with no issues, may I ask how you clean the dishes? I just stick them in the dishwasher with Cascade detergent, but I'm suspecting the cleaning process might be causing my problems.
Mostly dishwasher. Have used Powder as well as Gel (Cascade, Kirkland, other). Also hand-wash from time to time. No issues.
As someone pointed out, maybe the quality has changed over time.
AAA

Post by AAA »

We recently replaced our old Corelle with a new set of plain white plates, bowls and cups. Some were bought in a store, some ordered online.

It's too early to say anything about durability. But when I initially inspected the items, a number had chips or scratches. That was disappointing, but to their credit when I called Corelle they sent me replacement items without any questions asked. That was good customer service, but I kind of got the impression that the defects were not a big surprise to them.

Post by 123 »

I've had my Corelle Dinnerware over 30 years and it is as good as new. Maybe broke a couple of pieces along the way. When I married I found that my spouse had it as well, exactly the same pattern, plain white. Probably kind of boring to a lot of folks but it keeps its appearance very nicely.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

We've mostly used Corelle for going on 40 years. The dishwasher definitely takes a toll on them over time.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

countofmc wrote:Anyone else here own Corelle dinnerware and seen this issue? Any idea what might be causing this?
I have a bunch of Corelle serving bowls. They aren't peeling, but the edges look like they are nicked and dinged quite a bit and I don't bang spoons or anything on the edges. Turns out it is the way that I put them into the dishwasher, leaned up against the edge of the lower rack. It has taken years for them to get this way.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I inherited Corelle from my late step-mother. She had it for ten years and I have had it for 7 years. Everything has been perfect.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I've had most of my Corelleware for well over 30 years now. Had some problems when my old dishwasher had rusty spots on the racks and those transferred to some of the plate edges. Have bought a few extra items over the years. Noticed recently that the edges of some of my plates are stained and feel a bit rough. Is that what you mean by "peeling"?

Funny thing: I bought the initial set while I was in the Air Force. Plain white. A year or so later I visited my recently divorced father and discovered that he had outfitted his new apartment with exactly the same plain white Corelleware. Like father, like daughter?
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 »

I'm still using pieces (Indian Summer) from my mom's set from the late '70's! The band around the rim has faded a tiny bit but the pattern looks as good as ever!
celia

Post by celia »

I've been using mine for 30 years or so and they still look new---even the serving pieces and extra cereal bowls I bought on eBay about 15 years ago (same pattern as the original).

Maybe the manufacturing process changed somewhere along the line.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Watty

Post by Watty »

If the plates are damaged then you should not use them. When Corelle breaks it often shatters into hundreds of sharp shards because the it is a tempered glass.

If you google "Corelle explodes" you will find lots of stories about people that have had that happen.