McDonald's has good coffee: McDonalds has Senior Coffee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heartwood

Re: McDonald's has good coffee: McDonalds has Senior Coffee

Post by heartwood » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:05 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I don't understand the attraction of coffee in McDonald's. If I want cheap coffee, I make it at home. If I want to go out, I go to places with better ambiance.

Victoria
I only go to McDonald's for the sausage egg McMuffin and for the breakfast burrito. The coffee is just ok. The ambience varies as does the service and the patrons. But the sausage egg McMuffin ...

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Young lady behind the counter gave me the "Senior Coffee" today. I asked..."is it that obvious?" She just smiled.

MCD coffee is fine in my estimation. Also eat their parfay for $1.

Other than that...love the stock, neutral on the food.

Ed

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:16 pm

As a Boglehead investor I'm fortunate they don't means test for senior discounts. :greedy

SamB

Post by SamB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:22 pm

I did not know this. It might be a reason to visit a McDonalds in the future. There is little else on the menu that I would eat or drink. If I bought some kind of combo meal I would have to eat the burger without the bun and throw out the fires. I keep hoping to see some fast food place that goes Paleo, but I doubt that will happen. Real food just does not lend itself to "fast food."

It is interesting to me that the fast food industry does not want my money. I would not have any problem paying double or triple for real food, but they don't want my business. Note that a lousy salad with low-fat whatever, is not going to get me in the door. I am definitely not a vegetarian.
Since I run on fat, I have no problem not eating for 24 hours, so if they think I can't avoid them, they need to think again.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Our local BK & MD have complimentory WiFi :mrgreen:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 pm

heartwood wrote:But the sausage egg McMuffin ...
'got to agree, sausage McMuffin with egg is the perfect breakfast sandwich.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:46 am

Our McDonald's USED to have senior coffee for a buck but they stopped that nearly two years ago.
Instead, they went to the rather odd (to me at least) system of "all sizes of coffee, sm. med. or lrg, 1 Dollar!" Odd, unless they determined that 90% of their coffee sales were to people over 55 (?)
Our's is a franchisee, not company owned, so maybe that is the explanation.
I can understand why franchise-owners might be given a little leeway to make indep. policy. To account for local customs. But I think it is a mistake with something so basic as this - coffee and senior citizens. MickeyD built their business model on consistency throughout the brand, maybe that is why their stock has been falling recently. People should have an expectation of the same no matter which one they patronize.

I have no idea what the policy is on re-fills for people who are inside - I just use the drive-up window. Never go inside. Too many old people, along with really, really bad counter service from the types they employ.
FWIW - No one around here can make up their minds - Arby's used to give a free drink to seniors with their food order; now they changed it back to nothing free anymore, just a flat 10% Off for seniors. So, then KFC changed the senior discount rate, and went to no discount, just the free (small) beverage with order.

Maybe a little off-topic, but it should be noted our McD has always been odd man out. Even tho the actual National Historic District is way downtown, over a mile away, and the proposed McD was on the highway, the town fathers here would not issue the permits unless they agreed to reduce the size of the "Golden Arches". It was deemed standard-sized Golden Arches were too massive, would be a jarring sight, just toooo horrible, for a town supposed to be dedicated to preserving historic (b.s.) charm.
So the developer was obliged to make them tiny. And they look ridiculous, lol.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:06 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I don't understand the attraction of coffee in McDonald's. If I want cheap coffee, I make it at home. If I want to go out, I go to places with better ambiance.

Victoria
Good coffee(.65),,excellent wi-fi...and a sausage burrito(1.00) to boot,,I"m in ,
I like the lighting :D :D

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm

If I'm on the road and need coffee, I prefer Tim Horton's to either Mc Donald's or Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. If I'm not on the road I prefer my Aeropress to anything else I've ever tried.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:$0.25 Small Coffee @ Whole Foods for month of Sept.

FYI
Is this EVERY Whole Foods?

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 pm

drawpoker wrote:I have no idea what the policy is on re-fills for people who are inside - I just use the drive-up window. Never go inside. Too many old people, along with really, really bad counter service from the types they employ.
I'm the opposite - I always go in. From my observations, seniors get free refills on coffee.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 pm

prudent wrote:
drawpoker wrote:...Never go inside. Too many old people...
I'm the opposite - I always go in. From my observations, seniors get free refills on coffee.
That's why there are "too many old people." Free coffee refills. Like leaving bowls of food out for stray cats.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:50 am

Saving$ wrote:

FYI
Why would you shop at a grocery store that does not have free coffee?

http://www.papajoesmarket.com/about-locations.php

Their selection is almost better than SBux. Of course, they hope you buy a pound.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:51 am

tludwig23 wrote: That's why there are "too many old people." Free coffee refills. Like leaving bowls of food out for stray cats.
The goal is to get people thru the door and to buy something that will cover the morning shift's overhead and hopefully make them a profit, which will increase the share price and be reflected into my Index. GO BUY A Cookie Please. :mrgreen:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am

I don't understand posters who said that you have to swallow your pride to ask for Senior Coffee at McD. I found out about Senior Coffee when they just automatically rang me up for it when I ordered coffee a few years back. I thought everyone understood that you're not Really Old until you automatically get Senior Coffee at McD without asking. That is the official Line of Demarcation between wasted youth and geezerhood. I knew it was all over for me when that happened -- and it's been all downhill since. :(
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 am

Browser wrote:I don't understand posters who said that you have to swallow your pride to ask for Senior Coffee at McD. I found out about Senior Coffee when they just automatically rang me up for it when I ordered coffee a few years back. I thought everyone understood that you're not Really Old until you automatically get Senior Coffee at McD without asking. That is the official Line of Demarcation between wasted youth and geezerhood. I knew it was all over for me when that happened -- and it's been all downhill since. :(
My feelings were hurt when they stopped asking for my ID at night bars.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:25 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
tludwig23 wrote: That's why there are "too many old people." Free coffee refills. Like leaving bowls of food out for stray cats.
The goal is to get people thru the door and to buy something that will cover the morning shift's overhead and hopefully make them a profit, which will increase the share price and be reflected into my Index. GO BUY A Cookie Please. :mrgreen:
The local McD here has the patience of Job evidently. Here's what I see from a quick look thru the Big Picture Window next to drive-up exit lane:

As stated before, McD here is doll-house sized due to ridiculous anti-business local regs. Even the Golden Arches aren't regulation size Arches, but miniatures. :shock: Yet, a group of sr. cit "regulars" will push 2 or 3 tables together so 7 or 8 of them can sit together, sip their cheap coffee, and gossip for next 60-90 minutes. Management seems to tolerate this, even on weekend mornings, which is surprising when dejected-looking parents park, come in with their little kids whining to go to McD's. Ergo, table space is badly needed around the 8-9 AM hours.

I know these stray cats are not buying any food, not so much as a Cookie. Every one of them was fed breakfast by their wives (this group is exclusively males) before driving down to McDonald's. (A by-product of small-town living, ya'know everyone's business :P )

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:36 pm

As the OP, in my defense:

I get coffee at McD's when I am driving. The ambiance of the place does not matter much to me.

L.

hudson

Post by hudson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:00 am

Great discussion! I always learn unexpected things from reading like discussions. I've been paying full price without thinking...my focus is gone...I've forgotten the face of my father. :)
During a stop at Bojangles, I asked for senior coffee. It turned out to be a small coffee for 50¢. It was good. I was hoping to get carded.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:34 am

I'd gladly pay 50 cents or a dollar to not have to drink a cup of the noxious swill that Mcdonalds sells as coffee. The last cup of McD's "coffee" I purchased a few years ago went directly into the nearest trash can after the first truly awful sip.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:47 am

prudent wrote:
drawpoker wrote:I have no idea what the policy is on re-fills for people who are inside - I just use the drive-up window. Never go inside. Too many old people, along with really, really bad counter service from the types they employ.
Refills,,oh yea ,this is true :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:02 am

jabberwock wrote:I'd gladly pay 50 cents or a dollar to not have to drink a cup of the noxious swill that Mcdonalds sells as coffee. The last cup of McD's "coffee" I purchased a few years ago went directly into the nearest trash can after the first truly awful sip.
Not only is it awful (to my tastes, ymmv), but it does give credence to the oft-mocked lawsuits about the temperature of the coffee. I swear it's hotter than 212 degrees.

This summer, my local roaster has been selling refillable bottles of cold-brewed coffee. I take that on road trips now; let's see if I continue in the winter. It's pretty strong, and I think it could withstand a 1:1 dilution with boiling water in the winter.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:44 am

jabberwock wrote:I'd gladly pay 50 cents or a dollar to not have to drink a cup of the noxious swill that Mcdonalds sells as coffee. The last cup of McD's "coffee" I purchased a few years ago went directly into the nearest trash can after the first truly awful sip.
While I'm no coffee connoisseur, McD's coffee today is light years better than it was a few years ago. Totally different.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 am

ITS NOT THE COFFEE!! People.
Its the breakfast Cookie, Egg McMuffin, Pancakes, and the ambiance of the Regular old guys. :annoyed

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:55 am

There are too many good things in the States, but one that is bad beyond comprehension is coffee. I just not understand!
Erwin

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:02 am

FYI
Scored at Fred G Meyer, McCafe, French Roast(other roasts available), $5.99/12oz pour over grind. Good to EoM. :oops:
Its comparable to other premium coffees. Drinking it now. :D

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:29 am

@Victoria, McDonald's coffee is ok when on the road, like tludwig said.
(And yes, that Aeropress is an amazing device for turning ordinary beans into magic coffee).
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:30 pm

I prefer DD coffee by a wide margin over McD which seems weak and bitter by comparison, however my local McD serves acceptable coffee and being able to get a large McD for $1 is for me a good value so if I am there for other reasons I'll take one.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:35 pm

linenfort wrote:@Victoria, McDonald's coffee is ok when on the road, like tludwig said.
(And yes, that Aeropress is an amazing device for turning ordinary beans into magic coffee).
Curse you, Bogleheads!

I just had to go out and get an Aeropress! :) $20 after 20% off at BB&B.

L.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Leeraar wrote:
linenfort wrote:@Victoria, McDonald's coffee is ok when on the road, like tludwig said.
Curse you, Bogleheads!

L.
Good move. With a little practice and a good burr grinder, Aeropress makes superb coffee.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:02 am

Saving$ wrote:

FYI
Yes

http://time.com/money/4034697/whole-foo ... ffee-deal/
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 am

There is a new, beautiful Fidelity office that opened up down the street.

I'm considering moving my funds over for the free Keurig coffee. :beer

I figure the cost savings will reduce my expense ratios 1-2 basis points per year yielding a slight advantage to their Spartan funds.

-FTC
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:48 am

Leeraar wrote:
Curse you, Bogleheads!

L.
Leeraar,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E58 ... ge_o03_s00

You may want to consider using this metal disk filter with your aeropress.

KlangFool

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:25 am

KlangFool wrote:Leeraar,

KlangFool
Klang,

Thank you. I already bought another pack of 350 paper filters, so I have about a lifetime supply of those. (You can rinse and reuse them.)

And, by the way, I just had the best cup of coffee I have had in a very long time. Quite remarkable.

L.

Edit: Rinse and reuse the filters is a tip from the manufacturer. After all, they cost more than a penny each!
Last edited by Leeraar on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:36 am

Leeraar wrote:
KlangFool
Klang,

Thank you. I already bough another pack of 350 paper filters, so I have about a lifetime supply of those. (You can rinse and reuse them.)

And, by the way, I just had the best cup of coffee I have had in a very long time. Quite remarkable.

L.
To paraphrase Mr. Bernstein, "when you've won the game, don't rinse and reuse filters."
If having great coffee waiting for you in the morning matters to you, consider a Remington iCoffee.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Leeraar wrote: Klang,

Thank you. I already bough another pack of 350 paper filters, so I have about a lifetime supply of those. (You can rinse and reuse them.)

L.

Edit: Rinse and reuse the filters is a tip from the manufacturer. After all, they cost more than a penny each!
Leeraar,

1) I have paper filter too. But, the steel filter make the coffee taste different.

2) I use paper filter when I travel. It is easier not to clean and just throw paper filter away.

3) I do not rinse and re-use paper filter. Re-use paper filter alter the taste of the coffee.

KlangFool

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:03 pm

1) I have paper filter too. But, the steel filter make the coffee taste different.

2) I use paper filter when I travel. It is easier not to clean and just throw paper filter away.

3) I do not rinse and re-use paper filter. Re-use paper filter alter the taste of the coffee.

KlangFool
Klang,

Thank you. The Aeropress seems to be a tool that accepts a range of "barrista" techniques.

I did go online to find there is a range of metal filters with different claims for not filtering oil and solids. I will probably get into trying them, but so far I have only made three cups!

I should say that I used the same grind and brand we put through our drip coffee maker. The difference is astounding!

L.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:12 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (general rant about patrons in a New York McDonalds). See: Personal Consumer Issues
...General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums.
Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:26 pm

After receiving a request, I have removed the off-topic comments.

This thread is now unlocked. Please stay on-topic, which is about McDonalds' coffee.

Remember that we have other coffee threads that are not from McDonalds: coffee
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Anyway, I tell the servers to put a few cubes of ice before they dispense the coffee. I want to drink it now. The second cup can be scalding but thsts OK because am gking to be on the BH forum. :annoyed

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:49 pm

It generally is not a problem during the morning hours, up to around 11 AM at least.

But if I am stopping for coffee in the afternoon or evening - when the voice at the driveup lane says
"May I take your Order please?"
I bark right back at them
"Is the coffee fresh?"
This usually elicits a pause, then a hesitant, mumbly - sounding "what did you say?"
So I bark it out louder
"Is the coffee fresh ? I want coffee but I don't want anything that has been sitting around since lunch!"
The usual reaction to this is a hurried "just a minute, please" while the order-taker person rounds up a manager, or perhaps just some sort of more senior employee, to ascertain which carafe, at which coffee machine, in which section of the restaurant, is deemed to be the most recent pot brewed.
Then the order-taker returns with a resounding "Yes, it is !"
This method has proven to be very effective at preventing receipt of stale, burnt coffee at Mickey Dee. - I highly recommend it.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Thank you for this topic. Considering I'm still depressed from reading the thread back in February titled "Aproaching 50...What to Expect," at least now I know there will be senior coffee.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:52 pm

drawpoker wrote:It generally is not a problem during the morning hours, up to around 11 AM at least.

But if I am stopping for coffee in the afternoon or evening - when the voice at the driveup lane says
"May I take your Order please?"
I bark right back at them
"Is the coffee fresh?"
This usually elicits a pause, then a hesitant, mumbly - sounding "what did you say?"
So I bark it out louder
"Is the coffee fresh ? I want coffee but I don't want anything that has been sitting around since lunch!"
The usual reaction to this is a hurried "just a minute, please" while the order-taker person rounds up a manager, or perhaps just some sort of more senior employee, to ascertain which carafe, at which coffee machine, in which section of the restaurant, is deemed to be the most recent pot brewed.
Then the order-taker returns with a resounding "Yes, it is !"
This method has proven to be very effective at preventing receipt of stale, burnt coffee at Mickey Dee. - I highly recommend it.
In recent months we usually have had to wait for coffee in the afternoon while they brew a new pot. We usually go inside since I need the ice cube and my wife is very particular about the minimal amounts of cream and sugar she wants.

L.