McDonald's has good coffee: McDonalds has Senior Coffee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leeraar

McDonald's has good coffee: McDonalds has Senior Coffee

Post by Leeraar »

It seems to be something of a secret, but MacDonald's has a "senior coffee".

It varies by restaurant, but if you are over 55 they will generally give you half off the price of a size that they choose. Just order a "senior coffee".

IMO, their coffee is actually pretty decent.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
ilovepiano

Re: MacDonald's has good coffee: MacDonalds has Senior Coffee

Post by ilovepiano »

Yes, "McDonald's" coffee is decent, better than sbux in my opinion.
Leeraar wrote:It seems to be something of a secret, but MacDonald's has a "senior coffee".

It varies by restaurant, but if you are over 55 they will generally give you half off the price of a size that they choose. Just order a "senior coffee".

L.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Half off and a free refill.....what's not to like.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It varies unpredictably, and it's never posted, so you need to ask and risk the sting of rejection.

In my experience it is typically not offered in locations like airports or train stations. On the other hand, success rate in strip malls has been 100%. But you won't know if you don't ask.

A surprising number of other places also have unadvertised senior discounts. If you can overcome your pride, you should always ask everywhere.

For several years I wondered about McDonalds' coffee ambitions, because even after they started the McCafe thing, their coffee was still awful (by which I mean, typically, stale-tasting), but they must have mastered the trick of having their employees make fresh coffee frequently because I've found it to be quite acceptable and quite reliable. Always served too hot--I have a ritual, I open the lid, and using my best singing breath control blow three slow full lungfuls across it, and then it is just right.

It is my personal honest opinion that Starbucks "Veranda" (so-called "blonde" roast) is absolutely, positively, every bit as good as McDonald's and only costs three times as much.

I don't quite "get" Dunkin' Donuts--it's OK, but to me it has a kind of hamburger-flavor overtone, definitely beefy. Not fruity, chocolaty, nutty, earthy, or spicy--beefy. No, it's not just at one place (it's not traces of "Angus Steak"). Does anyone have any idea what that is?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Their coffee is worth it if you can get good (any) service. That's the hard part around here.
Topic Author
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

:D My only recent complaint is that it took three minutes, because they needed to brew a new pot. This now happens all the time. They will now make you wait, rather than serve you stale coffee.

And, yes, it's too hot. I always buy it inside and add an ice cube from the soda dispenser on the way out.

L.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

nisiprius wrote:I don't quite "get" Dunkin' Donuts--it's OK, but to me it has a kind of hamburger-flavor overtone, definitely beefy. Not fruity, chocolaty, nutty, earthy, or spicy--beefy. No, it's not just at one place (it's not traces of "Angus Steak"). Does anyone have any idea what that is?
How old is your memory of this?

Dunkin' Donuts used to use lard to deep-fat fry their donuts. Perhaps the general "atmosphere" of the place took on an animal fat bouquet that infused their coffee-making process. (exposed grounds?) Did you drink the coffee at the shop and get exposed in that way?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tim1999

Re: McDonald's has good coffee: McDonalds has Senior Coffee

Post by tim1999 »

I don't qualify for a senior discount but I think Mickey D's coffee is decent even at full price. Starbucks tastes too burnt for me.
Norris

Post by Norris »

53 cents and unlimited refills. Glad to have McDonald's. They're the "big dogs" and easy to pick on and ridicule but I think most of us would miss them if they were gone. And yes, since sometime in the nineties they improved their coffee and, IMHO, it's as good as any!

Norris
Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage »

nisiprius wrote:I don't quite "get" Dunkin' Donuts--it's OK, but to me it has a kind of hamburger-flavor overtone, definitely beefy. Not fruity, chocolaty, nutty, earthy, or spicy--beefy.
I've always found both Starbucks and McDonalds coffees to be bland and possessed of one-note flavors. But I've really liked what I found to be a more complex flavor in Dunkin' Donuts coffee, a sort of something extra. Now I know why.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

Cherokee8215 wrote:I don't qualify for a senior discount but I think Mickey D's coffee is decent even at full price
Not old enough? I didn't know there was an age limit... I thought senior coffee was available to juniors just like a happy meal is available to seniors.

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
grndcomm

Post by grndcomm »

Most every morning I get the Senior MD coffee. At exit 102 on I-85 North, just before entering NC. Cost is even 50 cents. My only suggestion would be that they redesign the lid to the coffee. As stated it is hot, and the lid opening can burn your lip.

Price does vary, however, as when I go up I-26 West, I stop at exit 40 (in NC) and the cost is 63 cents. NC/SC tax difference I assume.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Leeraar wrote:It seems to be something of a secret, but MacDonald's has a "senior coffee".

L.
McDonald's coffee is my favorite. It seems like a best kept secret. I never cared for Starbucks and was a Duncin Donuts coffee drinker for years, but McDonalds is even better than Dunkin.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I have always found McDonald's coffee to be pretty undrinkable. However, paying under $1 for an hour on the internet, even in regions with NO CELL COVERAGE, is well worth the price (especially when you need to book a hotel room).

McDonalds, Panera, Krogers, and Starbucks internet is always reliable and is generally not a problem to log on.
Topic Author
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

jlawrence01 wrote:I have always found McDonald's coffee to be pretty undrinkable. However, paying under $1 for an hour on the internet, even in regions with NO CELL COVERAGE, is well worth the price (especially when you need to book a hotel room).

McDonalds, Panera, Krogers, and Starbucks internet is always reliable and is generally not a problem to log on.
There is a MacDonald's in Bowling Green, Ohio where the coffee is reliably undrinkable. There is a MacDonald's in Waterford, MI, where the Internet is reliably unusable. But, most locations are pretty good, for coffee and for wi-fi.

L.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

bertilak wrote:
nisiprius wrote:I don't quite "get" Dunkin' Donuts--it's OK, but to me it has a kind of hamburger-flavor overtone, definitely beefy. Not fruity, chocolaty, nutty, earthy, or spicy--beefy. No, it's not just at one place (it's not traces of "Angus Steak"). Does anyone have any idea what that is?
How old is your memory of this?

Dunkin' Donuts used to use lard to deep-fat fry their donuts. Perhaps the general "atmosphere" of the place took on an animal fat bouquet that infused their coffee-making process. (exposed grounds?) Did you drink the coffee at the shop and get exposed in that way?
No. I still notice it today, and most of them don't even make their own doughnuts, they have them trucked in. And I have noticed it in Dunkin' Donuts ground coffee that I've brewed at home.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

grndcomm wrote:
Price does vary, however, as when I go up I-26 West, I stop at exit 40 (in NC) and the cost is 63 cents. NC/SC tax difference I assume.
Not necessarily. I stop at three different McDonald's with 5 miles of my home from time to time, all in the same state, none in a city that adds a city tax. The price of a Number Two Meal is not the same at any of them, and varies by about 50 cents one way or the other.
Zott

Post by Zott »

I'm not as fond of Starbucks coffee as I used to be--the dark burnt taste is unpleasant. I agree that McD's coffee is good, but my favorite is Wendy's. Around here (Northeast) they provide senior coffee for free. Can't beat that.
Topic Author
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

nisiprius wrote: And I have noticed it in Dunkin' Donuts ground coffee that I've brewed at home.
Is "Beef lard" on the list of ingredients? :P

My taste has migrated to mild coffee with no additives. Which is a problem with my wife, who wants dark roast with high caffeine, tempered by lots of sugar and cream. Plain MacD's is perfect for me.

L.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Yep
Senior coffee at Mickey D's.
Been drinking it for 9 years
"Senior Coffee" can vary in price from area to area :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UZ7IMS/ref ... 4D8RHFFN5H

Folks,

By the way, this is the coffee supplied by McDonald USA. It is pretty good.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Most of our domestic travel is road trips. When we need to take a break that doesn't include gas or lunch, we always look first for a McD's, for the senior coffee and/or the 99c ice cream cones. I can't remember finding one that didn't have senior coffee, even though it's not usually on the menu (or if it is, it's very well hidden).

For lunch we prefer something healthier like Subway.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Toons wrote:Yep
Senior coffee at Mickey D's.
Been drinking it for 9 years
"Senior Coffee" can vary in price from area to area :happy
No senior coffee in my area of NJ. It's $0.95 at our condo location in another state. But I think franchisees in different locations also choose the size of the cup for senior coffee. Always seems to be unlimited refills even for non-seniors.

I really like their $1 menu sausage burritos. I buy a bunch and freeze most for later reheating in the MW. I find them better than the other frozen alternatives available in the supermarkets. They're $1.05 in NJ and $1.45 at our condo, both plus tax. So much for the $1 menu name.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Senior coffee .60 here in Tn
Ditto on the refills :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

(Does "senior coffee" mean the coffee that has been sitting in the urn for the longest time?)
Topic Author
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

nisiprius wrote:(Does "senior coffee" mean the coffee that has been sitting in the urn for the longest time?)
No, it means half off the price of their best coffee for those customers over the age of 55

L.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

$0.25 Small Coffee @ Whole Foods for month of Sept.

FYI
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Our local McDonalds here in East Tennessee has any size coffee for $0.99....

BTW... what's the age for a senior coffee?
TheGreyingDuke

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Leeraar wrote:My taste has migrated to mild coffee with no additives. Which is a problem with my wife, who wants dark roast with high caffeine, tempered by lots of sugar and cream. Plain MacD's is perfect for me.L.
The implication here is that dark roast has more caffeine than light roast; the darkness of the roast has no bearing on caffeine level, roast bean A light or dark , the caffeine will be the same.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
partner

Post by partner »

They have senior Coke also.
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

I learn something new here almost everyday. I haven't been in MD's for 20 years, but I guess I'll have to try the coffee.

The only problem is, I need my coffee in order to leave the house without stumbling. :oops:

That reminds me, National Coffee Day is coming up 9/29, I believe, and you can get a free cup almost anywhere.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
John3754

Re: TheGreyingDuke

Post by John3754 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Leeraar wrote:My taste has migrated to mild coffee with no additives. Which is a problem with my wife, who wants dark roast with high caffeine, tempered by lots of sugar and cream. Plain MacD's is perfect for me.L.
The implication here is that dark roast has more caffeine than light roast; the darkness of the roast has no bearing on caffeine level, roast bean A light or dark , the caffeine will be the same.
Actually you're both incorrect, the darker you roast a coffee bean, the less caffeine it contains.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I like BK better. :mrgreen:
BK coffee is 50¢ vs MD is 65¢. MD also is crowded with old people. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

John3754 wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Actually you're both incorrect, the darker you roast a coffee bean, the less caffeine it contains.
Darker roast coffee also has lower acid content. So folks who think they're helping their acid reflux by drinking lighter coffee actually have it exactly backwards. One of the darkest roast coffees in the world, Sumatran, has the lowest acid content of all.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Burger King has free senior coffee, and it's worth every cent.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

About 15 years ago I went into a McDonalds and ordered a coffee. The very nice girl automatically rang up my senior coffee.
That was the first time I was offered senior coffee and I was shocked and somewhat offended that I was considered a senior.
I insisted that she take the full price for the coffee. I was not a senior in my mind. It was not one of my prouder moments.

However, now I have become a senior both in age and mentality, I get a senior coffee when I can remember to ask for it.

Dan
Dan999
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Dan999... Obviously you were a senior. You were already starting to act crotchety. :P
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Yes, that was my thought a while later.
Dan999
Dan999
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Dan999 wrote:About 15 years ago I went into a McDonalds and ordered a coffee. The very nice girl automatically rang up my senior coffee.
That was the first time I was offered senior coffee and I was shocked and somewhat offended that I was considered a senior.
I insisted that she take the full price for the coffee. I was not a senior in my mind. It was not one of my prouder moments.

However, now I have become a senior both in age and mentality, I get a senior coffee when I can remember to ask for it.

Dan
Two things I remember:
  • The first time some kid called me "mister." I was set back for a second because I didn't at first realize he was talking to me. I recovered quickly and played it cool. This was a looong time ago. I remember the event but none of the details of where or when or what that kid wanted.
  • The first time I ordered from the senior's menu. It was at a Denny's about 15 years ago. Their criteria for "senior" was age 55. It was within a year or so of my 55th birthday. I was more interested in looking for a fairly light breakfast and when I spotted what I wanted it was on the senior's menu. I remember thinking "Hey I'm eligible for that!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

I remember a few decades ago, my wife was crushed when the stock boy in the supermarket called her Ma'am.
Sad day for her.
Dan999
Dan999
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I was with a person in their 40's that got senior coffee but to a teenager 40's looks old. LOL
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

rec7 wrote:I was with a person in their 40's that got senior coffee but to a teenager 40's looks old. LOL
I remember my first job out of college. My supervisor was 32 which shocked me because he didn't look like a senior citizen. :shock:
LSWarrior49

Post by LSWarrior49 »

Well while in the New England and part of the Mid-Atlantic states, as well as Florida, you can consider Cumberland Farms, Inc. coffee. 99 cents any size, anytime, any day. And expect FREE coffee Fridays in October.
Zapped

Post by Zapped »

Rupert wrote: Darker roast coffee also has lower acid content. So folks who think they're helping their acid reflux by drinking lighter coffee actually have it exactly backwards. One of the darkest roast coffees in the world, Sumatran, has the lowest acid content of all.
Hi Rupert - I'm not a coffee snob & I do enjoy McDonald's, Starbucks and other chains. Bad coffee is a little like bad pizza; even when it's bad it's OK. I've also purchased green (raw) beans from Sweet Maria's and played around with home roasting.

I just wanted to differ with your comment about Sumatran coffee being "one of the darkest roast coffees in the world". Roasting profile (e.g. dark) and coffee source (e.g. an Indonesian Sumatra) are two independent variables. It's true that Sumatrans are commonly roasted dark in many coffee shops, but the two do not have to go hand-in-hand.

I believe that you're correct about dark coffee being lower in acidity. Any reflux is usually a by-product of the Sausage McMuffin & hash brown that came along with our coffee ;)
- Jim in Austin, TX
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I am surprised they don't advertise the senior coffee deal -- that's cool.

I am also not a coffee snob, but I disagree that all coffee is OK. There is bad coffee. I'm thinking of the original McDonald's coffee, or the sour, watered down concoction they serve at work. I guess it's OK in the sense that I will still drink it if I'm desperate. But I will happily drink any decent coffee, including McDonald's, Starbucks, Dunkin', etc.

Unfortunately the McDonald's by me is pretty run down and it's kind of depressing to walk in there. And every time I order coffee it gets handed over by someone that gets grease all over the cup. Hmm maybe I'm not a coffee snob, just a regular snob. :mrgreen: But there's something to be said about the Starbucks model in that the environment is pleasant and you feel the workers can potentially make a living.

In my opinion I make some of the best coffee myself. Costco Kirkland brand fair trade coffee (whole beans). I store it in the freezer. Make sure your coffee maker and coffee grinder are clean. Grind the beans. Optionally add a dash of cinammon before grinding. Add filtered water, turn on the machine, and enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I am a coffee addict. Also by owning index funds I probably own a minuscule fraction of all the companies mentioned in this post.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I don't understand the attraction of coffee in McDonald's. If I want cheap coffee, I make it at home. If I want to go out, I go to places with better ambiance.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

But you won't get the chance to meet Ronald McDonald or the Hamburglar in those places Victoria.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

VictoriaF wrote:I don't understand the attraction of coffee in McDonald's. If I want cheap coffee, I make it at home. If I want to go out, I go to places with better ambiance.

Victoria
VictoriaF,

I am very picky with my coffee. For example, I do not think Starbuck's coffee is good enough. But, the McDonald's coffee is pretty good. It is good enough for me to drink. You may want to try it.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

VictoriaF wrote:I don't understand the attraction of coffee in McDonald's. If I want cheap coffee, I make it at home. If I want to go out, I go to places with better ambiance.

Victoria

Agreed. If the coffee is not as good as I can make at home, why bother. Lately, I would rather take a Thermos of my own coffee than resort to buying fast food coffee or paying the price for Starbucks.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

The best cappuccino I have ever bought was in the Ibis Hotel near the Amsterdam airport (Schiphol). The worst cappuccino I have ever bought was in the McDonald's near the Amsterdam airport.