Wifi Laser Printer - Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dimitri

Wifi Laser Printer - Recommendations?

Post by Dimitri »

I have a circa 2005 Brother DCP-1000 laser printer. Love it - no problems. It scans (which I have never figured out) and copies (which I do occasionally). I've decided to go Chrome. Sick to death about viruses and the like. I am too tired to deal with computer nonsense - I just want to log on and do what I need to do with no worries. To that end I've ordered an Acer Chromebase. I already have an Acer Chromebook. But the issue is with printing. Right now I've been using an Acer laptop as a "print server (wrong terminology I know, but it is logged on to Chrome and physically connected which lets me print from the Chromebook)" which is physically connected to the Brother printer to print files from the Chromebook. I could keep doing this but want to simplify my life.

I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive wifi laser printer. I might print 10 pages a month. I have no interest in color printing. Maybe inkjet has gotten better over the years but I would prefer laser as I'm used to it and in my opinion it is higher quality. The only requisite is that Samsung is not in the running (don't ask). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.
blueman457

Re: Wifi Laser Printer - Recommendations?

Post by blueman457 »

I have a Brother HL-2270DW printer that I use as a wifi printer. It's reliable and I haven't had to do anything other than change the laser cartridge.

Blueman
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

You'll want to look at how much the toner and drum cost to replace.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
telemark

Post by telemark »

Ink jets have not improved, especially if you don't print very often. You will waste more ink (and time) cleaning the heads than you ever put on paper. Stick with a laser printer.

For a Chromebook you need a printer that supports Google Cloud Print. I have a Brother HL-2270DW and am very happy with it, but it doesn't support Google Cloud Print. I'd suggest looking at

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-printer/

They like the Brother HL-L2340DW, which does work with Google Cloud print, and list some alternatives as well.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

If you already have a Brother DCP-1000 that you're happy with, you could just buy the optional wireless print server for it. The challenge is going to be that that printer is pushing 10 years old, and the accessory probably isn't made anymore. Might have to search Ebay, or call Brother and see if one of their newer wireless print server accessories would work with it.

NC-2200W (external wireless print server)
http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDet ... fS8RJfO_aU

If you don't do that, I'd suggest watching the deal websites for sales on entry level wireless laser printers. I picked up 2 Dell wireless color laser printers a few months ago on closeout from Staples for like $40 each.
cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 »

I bought a Brother DCP-7065DN for $110 in June 2014, which sounds like about what you are in the market for. I don't think they make this anymore.

The big thing for me was that it was compatible with the very cheap TN450 toner cartridges. Non OEM cartridges made by Monoprice or Linkyo frequently pop up on slickdeals.net for $12, rated for 2600 pages. I have had to replace it once. Just a warning that toner can clump if not used regularly.
Sent from my iphone
sydbogle

Post by sydbogle »

I too have a Brother HL-2270DW which does a good job and is reasonably economical. Only downside is that it isn't compatible with AirPrint (wireless printing from iPhone/iPad) which is something that would come in handy on rare occasions.
southbay

Post by southbay »

Dimitri wrote:I have a circa 2005 Brother DCP-1000 laser printer. Love it - no problems. It scans (which I have never figured out) and copies (which I do occasionally). I've decided to go Chrome. Sick to death about viruses and the like. I am too tired to deal with computer nonsense - I just want to log on and do what I need to do with no worries. To that end I've ordered an Acer Chromebase. I already have an Acer Chromebook. But the issue is with printing. Right now I've been using an Acer laptop as a "print server (wrong terminology I know, but it is logged on to Chrome and physically connected which lets me print from the Chromebook)" which is physically connected to the Brother printer to print files from the Chromebook. I could keep doing this but want to simplify my life.

I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive wifi laser printer. I might print 10 pages a month. I have no interest in color printing. Maybe inkjet has gotten better over the years but I would prefer laser as I'm used to it and in my opinion it is higher quality. The only requisite is that Samsung is not in the running (don't ask). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Brother via Amazon. Look for the bestsellers.

They practically give these away, and make $ on the toner. Great printers though. I have bought about 5 of them.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

I bought a Brother HL-L2380DW (print/scan/copy) this year when someone here was complaining that their ink jet cartridges would dry out after long periods of non-use. There were many here that seemed to recommend the Brother laser printers. I think I paid $109 but I had to wait a couple of months before the price dropped to that level - some got it for $99 I believe. Funny thing is my inkjet printer is only 2-3 years old now but I don't ever use color so it just sits there unused.
If I am stupid I will pay.
rakaye47

Post by rakaye47 »

+1 for the Brother. I have this one: http://amzn.to/1NpqhAW
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I bought a brother HL-2360DW last year, this replaced a dinosaur HP Laserjet 4P that was made in 1994! That HP 4P kept going and going, 20 years for a printer not too bad lol. The HP was starting to jam every other page plus it had very little memory and took forever to print.

The Brother prints fast, was easy to setup and the toner cartridges are not all too expensive.

The brother printers have a separate drum kit which keeps their toner cartridge prices down, the drum kits are good for 12,000 pages and run about $80. With two kids in school printing a lot of reports and my own printing I still doubt I will need to replace that drum kit. In about 1 year I have printed only 800~ pages.

The toner cartridge that comes with the printer only lasts for about 500 pages so plan on buying the high yield cartridge when you see it go on sale. That one lasts 2,600 pages.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
TNL

Post by TNL »

I have an HP 8560. Bought it at Costco about 18 months ago. I print about 10-20 pages a month and have not yet changed the cartridges, but they are about due. I do not know anything about its Chrome/Google compatibility but it probably would not be too hard to find out. It was very easy to set up. I had it out of the box and up and running in about 30 minutes (and I am NOT a highly technical person).
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

Recently bought a Brother L2380DW - it has been great so far. On sale for around $150 at Best Buy. Very convenient to have the ability to scan and copy from home, and doing so is extremely straightforward.
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

NaOH wrote:Recently bought a Brother L2380DW - it has been great so far. On sale for around $150 at Best Buy. Very convenient to have the ability to scan and copy from home, and doing so is extremely straightforward.
Me, too. $90 from Amazon, April of this year.
No hassles, just like the non-wifi Brother laser printer I had before it. After 10-15 years, I buy a new printer instead of new toner.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I have had a $99 Brother HL 2270 DW for 4 years, no problems. I use these after market toners
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SI ... ge_o00_s00
, never a problem.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

I have the Brother 2270DW..excellent printer....a little tricky for envelopes...but once you figure it out it works great. Can be somewhat difficult to configure initially. This replaced HP Laserjet 5L and 6L both great printers but no longer supported..wifi is nice feature...
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

ieee488 wrote:You'll want to look at how much the toner and drum cost to replace.
With about ten pages per month that wouldn't be too high on my list of priorities :)
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Been extremely happy with the Brother 2280DW I bought two years ago. Leave it on all the time and anytime I want to wireless print something it will wake up and do the job. Makes life simple.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 15-time loser
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

No question. Get a Brother. They are wonderful.

I have a 2270DW that is duplex (prints on both sides) and wireless. (It is wired into the network, though.) The cartridge is cheap and prints something ridiculous, like 2,600 pages.

I got an e-mail the other day from newegg.com, where they were selling a newer model for $150 with free shipping. I buy my cartridges from them. I bought the printer itself at Staples - they go on sale regularly.

Here is the model: Brother DCP-L2540DW 2400 x 600 dpi Wireless Monochrome Duplex Multifunction Laser Printer.

I long ago gave up on inkjet and color laser printing. The costs per page, when I figured it out, were insane. Especially when I discovered that my HP laser printer was using color toner to print B&W even though it had a black cartridge.

Also, be careful. I fired HP when I discovered they sell new printers with almost-empty cartridges that will run out after printing about nine pages. Check the printer box for the model number of the cartridges included.

With my last HP color laser printer, the cost of a set of cartridges, plus belts and other recommended replacement items, was more than double the original cost of the printer. To Freecycle it went.

L.
Last edited by Leeraar on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

telemark wrote:Ink jets have not improved, especially if you don't print very often. You will waste more ink (and time) cleaning the heads than you ever put on paper. Stick with a laser printer.

For a Chromebook you need a printer that supports Google Cloud Print. I have a Brother HL-2270DW and am very happy with it, but it doesn't support Google Cloud Print. I'd suggest looking at

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-printer/

They like the Brother HL-L2340DW, which does work with Google Cloud print, and list some alternatives as well.
In a fit of creativity, I figured out how to get my wife's ChromeBook to print on the 2270DW. You have to connect the ChromeBook to another (Windows) computer that is network connected to the printer. Then, for the ChromeBook to print, the other computer needs to be on.

This is sometimes a problem, but my wife loves the ChromeBook, and she does not complain about printing too much. I shut my desktop down when I travel, so I do not get into Google Drive sync problems. So, she cannot print when I am away on a business trip.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

TravelGeek wrote:
ieee488 wrote:You'll want to look at how much the toner and drum cost to replace.
With about ten pages per month that wouldn't be too high on my list of priorities :)
That is true.

Though I don't know how reliable the drums are.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
physiorol

Post by physiorol »

Get a brother from costco. They do not limit printers to the 90 day return policy like other electronics. Returned a color brother as it was chewing up too much ink.
Topic Author
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Looks like another Brother it is. Thanks for all the responses. The prices sure have fallen a lot over the years (I remember buying my first HP LaserJet for $1K+ way back when - the current Brother DCP-1000 was something like $350 if memory serves correct). I'll update when I pick one up.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

You'll want a printer that specifies it's for "Google Cloud Printing," not any regular wi-fi printer will do. You'll actually be printing through the internet.

I'd begin by Googling "best Google cloud laser printers" and you'll find lots of information. From there you can Google for reviews on the printers that look most interesting.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
telemark

Post by telemark »

Leeraar wrote:In a fit of creativity, I figured out how to get my wife's ChromeBook to print on the 2270DW. You have to connect the ChromeBook to another (Windows) computer that is network connected to the printer. Then, for the ChromeBook to print, the other computer needs to be on.
Yes indeed, and the original poster has that working with his existing printer, but he doesn't want to do that any more.