I am running out of excuses to not move out

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nakedbird226

I am running out of excuses to not move out

Post by nakedbird226 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Here I am two years removed from college at the age of 24, yet I still live with my parents. Living at home for a while seemed like a no brainer when I first graduated. I had student loans, no emergency fund, lived "close" to my first job, and had a girlfriend that lived next door (not anymore :D ). A LOT has changed in the past two years!

I paid off my loans, have 25k in my savings account (along with another 25k in a 401k/Roth IRA), and now have to commute to a new job that is an hour away. I am finally starting to get to the point where I feel like I am ready to make the move closer to work. I always found an excuse not to, but I feel like I would be a lot happier without having to commute 2 hours each day and having my own space sounds really nice.

The only thing that I am concerned about is the cost of rent around where I want to live. I am not ready to buy, and in order to get a decent apartment I will have to pay in the $1000-$1100 range each month. I can easily afford that, but have very few expenses the past few years makes that number hard to swallow. I know I just need to suck it up and go for it, but living at home has put into a "saving" mentality which can be a bit hard to break. I believe it is time to go experience life a bit more though on my own.

My salary is 62k

How did you know when it was time to move out? What was hard about it and what good came of it?
Last edited by nakedbird226 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investnoob

Re: I am running out of excuses to not move out

Post by investnoob » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:09 pm

This is personal and subjective, so I will just share my opinion.

In my opinion, you know it is time to move out when you find yourself using your parents' generosity to subsidise your lifestyle. If you are eating out a lot, going away for the weekend, taking nice vacations you are essentially asking your parents to subsidise your lifestyle and it might be time to move out into your own place.

However, if you are still living pay-check to pay check - maybe you need more of a cushion.

If you have a comfortable cushion and are just frugal and don't spend much, you should probably start a goal. To me, living closer to work would be enough. To others, saving for a down payment on a house is the goal.

good luck.

edit: to answer your other questions. I never moved out. Instead, my father moved out :P
I was 18 or so when my father moved into his girlfriends place. He handed over our apartment lease to my brother and I and we took over the rent and the bills.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Not having to commute 10 hours a week and having some independence at 24 sound pretty good to me. I wouldn't like having to pay 1k in rent though. Have you considered finding a roommate? It could save you quite a bit of money.

My husband lived with his parents after college to save money and I don't think he ever regretted it. I loved having my own place after college. I think the two hour a day commute could be a deal breaker for many people.

Good luck with your decision.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Its tough to say what you should or shouldn't do.

People two or three generations older than you will say you should have moved out the day you became a man on your 18th birthday. Of course they grew up in a time when land and rents were much less expensive than now and wages were higher.

I like the thought of living inexpensively at home. Many cultures have three generations under one roof. It will be common here in the US one day as well.

How about make a goal of having $50 or $100K in the bank, plus a fully funded ira and 401K, and revisiting this decision? Even if you're chipping in a few hundred of dollars a month to your folks to cover your expenses, it does not sound like it would take you too long to save that up. That would be a pretty decent financial headstart over many of your peers.

But, there is the whole dating issue. The right girl won't care if you live at home. But the ones you can have fun, while waiting for the right one, will care.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Roommates? Get an even bigger place for 1500, then slit it for 750 a piece (this would also make utilities and whatnot cheaper).

You will have to move out at some point. Generally I think living at home for a year or two after college is fine, but after you get your feet on the ground you need to move on.

Forget the $ part of this. Wouldn't it be nice just to be on your own?

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Maybe you should look to rent a room or share with roommates if you don't want to spend the money for a whole apartment. Or a small studio. That might soften the blow of the monthly expenses. If you got a small studio, you could always plan to go back to the parents for weekend to do the laundry and get some home cooked food.

There's no way I'd commute for an hour just to live with my parents. But then, I left home as soon as I went to college, and never looked back!
Sarah

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:34 pm

What kind of comments have your parents made? Are they happy you are there or are there references to "when you get your own place" which can be hints they are ready for you to be gone and for them to have their house back.

And FWIW, most parents would be charging you some kind of rent even if it's nominal.

surfer1

Post by surfer1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:37 pm

This is really a personal decision and depends largely on the relationship between you and your parents.

When I moved away for college, I never moved back and that was that. After college, went straight to an apartment and never even gave a thought to the idea of moving back "home". It wasn't an option. This made the fact of paying rent more of a no-choice decision, so I didn't consider it a luxury expense, which it sounds like you're considering it as.

nakedbird226

Post by nakedbird226 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Carefreeap wrote:What kind of comments have your parents made? Are they happy you are there or are there references to "when you get your own place" which can be hints they are ready for you to be gone and for them to have their house back.

And FWIW, most parents would be charging you some kind of rent even if it's nominal.
Honestly, I don't really think they want me to go, but I think they can kind of see that I am getting to the point where I am ready to move out. I have brought it up to them numerous times. I am very fortunate that they have let me live there for free.

BL

Post by BL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Good for you for paying off loans and getting in good financial shape. I am sure that was your parents' hope for you as well. Now it is time to re-evaluate.

How much are you helping your parents financially and otherwise? Do you pay a token rent (maybe you should increase it to fair market value)? Do you pay for your share of the expenses or take your parents out to eat regularly? Do you help with upkeep on the house and do your own laundry and clean-up? Do you cook meals at least now and then? In other words, are you being a responsible adult or are you mooching off your parents with no end in sight?

Remember, your parents need to be saving money to prepare for their own retirement, or are you planning to support them in their retirement? Maybe they would even enjoy having the whole house to themselves again, just as when they were first married! Perhaps they would feel their job was well done when they see that you can manage on your own with no help from them. Some parents have to kick their fledglings out of the nest in order to teach them to fly on their own.

Perhaps you could consider getting a room mate to help share the cost of an apartment. Again, you will need to do your fair share there as well. Don't buy a house yet, or you will have a similar problem when you change jobs again, and it will cost you to sell and then buy again.
Last edited by BL on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:42 pm

A two hour round trip commute each work day would be enough for me to move.

If you can get a small, well located, safe apartment for $1000/month you are in a relatively low cost of living area. I'd take advantage of that.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:43 pm

From a financial perspective, would you be willing to trade a $20 bill for an hour of time to do whatever you'd like?

That's essentially your financial trade off. Assuming your rent is in the $1000 a month range, and your shorter commute saves around $200 a month in fuel and wear and tear, you'll be spending $800 a month but getting about 41 hours of free time in return.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Does it help to consider that some women wouldn't want to date a man living at home at your age? Although the one hour each way commute would be more than enough motivation for me! Wow that's long.

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Got drafted for Vietnam War right out of college. Goodbye home. Hello Asia.

nakedbird226

Post by nakedbird226 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Leemiller wrote:Does it help to consider that some women wouldn't want to date a man living at home at your age? Although the one hour each way commute would be more than enough motivation for me! Wow that's long.
Ha...funny that you say that. Yes that fact plays a small role in wanting to move out.

kewper

Post by kewper » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 pm

nakedbird226 wrote:
Leemiller wrote:Does it help to consider that some women wouldn't want to date a man living at home at your age? Although the one hour each way commute would be more than enough motivation for me! Wow that's long.
Ha...funny that you say that. Yes that fact plays a small role in wanting to move out.
Some women would not want to date a man living at home. Others would respect that decision if it made financial sense! I would not base my decision on the opinions of silly people.

sesq

Post by sesq » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:58 pm

I wouldn't want to spend 10 hours a week commuting.

If you find the right situation roommates can be ideal. Adds some socialization along with cutting expenses. The wrong situation, of course, is much worse. Early in my career I fell into the remnants of a college house, $300/mo, where I had been paying $950. Not all of us got along perfect, but close enough.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:59 pm

You don't say how much you're making, so it's hard to say what type of financial burden it's placing on you to move out. For example, if you make $15K/year, then $12K in rental costs is probably not a good idea. I would guess that you're ready to leave.

I'll tell you my situation was that I made $24K/year when I moved out and was renting for $8500/year (not including utilities).

nakedbird226

Post by nakedbird226 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 pm

NightFall wrote:You don't say how much you're making, so it's hard to say what type of financial burden it's placing on you to move out. For example, if you make $15K/year, then $12K in rental costs is probably not a good idea. I would guess that you're ready to leave.

I'll tell you my situation was that I made $24K/year when I moved out and was renting for $8500/year (not including utilities).
Edited my original post. Thanks.

NYC34

Post by NYC34 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Move out. Make it work.

I do not understand this boards fascination with living at home. Yes, what you have done is admirable and put yourself in a great financial position going forward, but... There is a lot to learn about living independently and free from family. And in my personal opinion, that experience is worth more than a few thousand dollars. (Not to mention the saving of hours on a commute)

I would definitely find a roommate or two and see if you can rent a house.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Sounds like you work in a high C.O.L. area, and make a good salary.

In high C.O.L. areas (and even in low ones), its not uncommon for folks in their 20s to have roommates/apartment-mates. As a previous poster notes, it can even help with the loneliness of being on your own.

Ideally, do it with someone you know at least somewhat (to ensure compatibility). If you do need to take a shot in the dark with someone you basically don't know, then consider doing it in a way that allows either of you to bail relatively quickly if you don't click. (That can be hard though, because you'd probably need to sign a lease.)

vital15

Post by vital15 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:21 pm

NYC34 wrote:Move out. Make it work.

I do not understand this boards fascination with living at home. Yes, what you have done is admirable and put yourself in a great financial position going forward, but... There is a lot to learn about living independently and free from family. And in my personal opinion, that experience is worth more than a few thousand dollars. (Not to mention the saving of hours on a commute)

+1. Move out!

NonnyGoGo

Post by NonnyGoGo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm

vital15 wrote:
NYC34 wrote:Move out. Make it work.<br abp="600"><br abp="601">I do not understand this boards fascination with living at home. Yes, what you have done is admirable and put yourself in a great financial position going forward, but... There is a lot to learn about living independently and free from family. And in my personal opinion, that experience is worth more than a few thousand dollars. (Not to mention the saving of hours on a commute)<br abp="602"><br abp="603">I would definitely find a roommate or two and see if you can rent a house.
<br abp="604"><br abp="605">+1. Move out!
Yes! Run and don't look back.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Think of it as though you had paid your parents $1000-1100 per month for the last 2 years and now they have given it back to you in the form of savings and an IRA and they wish you good luck in finding your way from now on. (If they get sick and need your help back home, they will call you, so don't worry about that.) Some parents actually do refund their children's rent if they have collected it.

Move, but don't worry about your first apartment being "perfect". We all started out in less-than-ideal circumstances but that is why you set goals and move up. In 20, 30, or 40 years, you will have good stories to tell about your first apartment or roommate(s) and your "learning experiences". And if you get a nice place instead but something happens where you can no longer afford it, it will be demoralizing to move to someplace cheaper. So you might as well start with a cheaper place and plan on that "ideal" place for later.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

marathonwmn

Post by marathonwmn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Seems to me that it's not yet time if you're looking for an excuse.

Perhaps living at your parents' is a Win-Win situation for both of you. Hopefully you are paying rent which is a nice bit of tax free income for them. Like some wrote earlier in the thread "are you being an adult" and pulling your weight? Or are you mooching off of them? Have you discussed the pros and cons with them?

I lived at home after college and left the day I got married, never regretted the living arrangements - the marriage, well, that's a different story. :annoyed

Good luck with whatever you decide.
The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Put me in the "Move Out" column.

I'm the dad half of 3 children in their early 20's. We were happy to have them at home as long as they were getting established and we didn't run any of them off - but boy-oh-boy it is sure nice for my wife and I to *finally* have the house to ourselves.

Do it for your parents. :)

nakedbird226

Post by nakedbird226 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:40 pm

marathonwmn wrote:Seems to me that it's not yet time if you're looking for an excuse.

Perhaps living at your parents' is a Win-Win situation for both of you. Hopefully you are paying rent which is a nice bit of tax free income for them. Like some wrote earlier in the thread "are you being an adult" and pulling your weight? Or are you mooching off of them? Have you discussed the pros and cons with them?

I lived at home after college and left the day I got married, never regretted the living arrangements - the marriage, well, that's a different story. :annoyed

Good luck with whatever you decide.
I don't feel like I am looking for an excuse...I believe I had legitimate reasons to not move out initially, but I feel as if most of those reasons are no longer valid. I almost feel like it has reversed and that I have more reason to move out than to not move out at this point. Maybe I just need to do it and not look back like others have said.

Ken.

Post by Ken. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:46 pm

If you are able to continue with the 2 hour daily commute, how about taking the money that you used to pay of your loan and start putting towards a downpayment on a home, so that when you do move out you won't have to rent, or if you do you won't have to rent for as long before getting your own place.

alec

Post by alec » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Dude, just move out. That commute is enough reason.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

celia

Post by celia » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:54 pm

nakedbird226 wrote:I have more reason to move out than to not move out at this point.
It seems so to me too. We can't give you reasons to stay (unless your parents have medical needs that require your assistance), so why haven't you moved? You really don't even need a reason to move.

The world awaits! We will applaud if that's what you need! :sharebeer
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:19 pm

It sounds like you're ready, but your only real hesitation is your financial prudence. For that reason, here would be my votes in order of preference:

1. Move out into a roommate situation
2. Move out without a roommate situation
3. Stay at home

They're all pretty good options, but don't stay at home just because of inertia. (For what it's worth, I think wanting to save money is a perfectly good reason, but you are missing out on some other important things in life by doing so.)

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:30 pm

nakedbird226 wrote:I believe I had legitimate reasons to not move out initially, but I feel as if most of those reasons are no longer valid.
This is correct.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:13 pm

During college I had lived at my parent's apartment. After I finished college I got a job in a big city 10 hrs away and got my very own apartment and own furniture there. For me that was a huge step, now being alone and planning everything myself. I saw my parents and family only 3 - 4 times a year. This was the step into adulthood, becoming really independent. I would say, it is the OPs turn now to step into independent life.

Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Graduated spring 1976 with BSEE, got hired that Christmas. (Engineering recession then, as space program wound down, prolonged the job hunt.) Lived with parents for about 2 years. Paid school debts, paid parental debts, bought a beater, refurbed it in Dad's garage. I wanted to be my own man, needed separation from Mom, a place to bring a date would be nice, too.

Kept getting new-engineer raises. Guess I have one of those "steady jobs" I've heard about. Looked at apartment ads, noticed these "condominium" things that cost less than 2 years' pay. Visited four in one day, put a deposit on the one with a lake and a park out back, signed 9-3/8%, 30-year mortgage for $27k.

And I'm still living in it.

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:40 pm

You have done a wonderful job paying down your debt and building yourself a financial cushion! I bet your parents couldn't be more proud...and you should be proud of yourself for your accomplishments.

I agree with the other posters that it's time to leave the nest, and it makes sense to consider getting a roommate to save a bit on rent. Living on your own -- paying your bills, cooking your meals, doing your laundry and keeping your place clean -- is an important step in life, and one that will make you feel just a little more adult and a lot more competent. Go for it!

I do not agree, however, that you should buy a house as a first step. Houses are a lot of extra responsibility (with maintenance, for instance) and will tie up a lot of your net worth at a time when you should be building your cash savings even more than you have (shoot for 6 - 12 months living expenses) and starting that retirement fund. Also, in my observation, young people your age tend to switch employers every few years, so that house next to your office won't be so attractive if it prevents you from taking a new job in the future with a long commute. So my advice is move out, but rent so you're not too tied down.

Good luck, and best wishes,
Pogo

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 pm

An extra 2 hour commute at an average speed of 50 mph is an extra 100 miles a day, 500 miles a week, or 2000 miles a month. The US government feels that between gas as well as wear and tear on a vehicle, the cost is 57.5 cents per mile. Which means by moving 1 hour closer you will be saving $1,150. it is actually stupid for you not to move.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:46 pm

You're not a grown up until you live on your own :)

Move out. The commute is enough reason....but girls, too

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:13 pm

I never understood people living with their parents unless there are extreme financial hardships or medical issues. At some point you have to act like an adult. And that means being 100% responsible for yourself. Not relying on mom and dad for shelter or food or anything else.

The thought never crossed my mind to move back to my parents house. I was a college graduate. I should be a functional and responsible and independent member of society.

Move out. You'll meet a lot more people and have a lot more free time and adventures.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:36 pm

You did the right things:
- Paid off student loans
- Established emergency fund
- Lived close to work
Since 1 & 2 are done, they no longer need doing. 3 is no longer true so you need to fix it.
If you are commuting 1 hour each way, I'll wager you are at least 40 miles from work. 80 miles /day at $0.54/mile = $864/month. Yes, it really does cost that much to own, insure, maintain and fuel a vehicle.

Find a roommate, move into a $1400/month 2 bedroom in walking distance to work and it cost you $700+ utilities, which is probably still less than what you are paying to commute and you get your 10 hours week back, and you move forward with your life.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:54 pm

You are a single adult two years out of college. You make a significant amount more than the US household median income. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household ... ted_States). You have done well with your past, but it is now time to begin finding your own way. Move out. Worlds will open up to you.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:57 pm

It's time to move out.
"La Bella Luna"

TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:09 pm

nakedbird226 wrote:Here I am two years removed from college at the age of 24, yet I still live with my parents.
You're 24. It's time to get the hell out. I'm sure your parents love you, but they want you gone.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:10 pm

My personal observation is that if you live with your parents, the money you saved in rent will be spent on therapy.

triskelion

Post by triskelion » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:17 pm

When I was in roughly the same position 25 years ago, my dad, who never says anything, walked into my room and said, "When are you moving out?" I immediately started looking for a place and bought a little house two months later, got some roommates and a 2nd job. It'll all work out - really... and I didn't have YouTube to show me how to do home repairs. :D

island

Post by island » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:28 pm

vital15 wrote:
NYC34 wrote:Move out. Make it work.

+1. Move out!
Agree. It's time to go even if there wasn't a 2 hour commute to stay. Live an independant adult life and learn first hand what it takes to pay for it.

island

Post by island » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:33 pm

DTSC wrote:My personal observation is that if you live with your parents, the money you saved in rent will be spent on therapy.
OMG hilarious. :D Yeah and if not you then probably your future significant other.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:07 pm

nakedbird226 wrote: How did you know when it was time to move out? What was hard about it and what good came of it?
I turned 18 the same day that I moved to college, 3 hours away from home. It was time. I never wanted, nor needed, to go back, despite a mountain of debt (one of your excuses). I actually found it easier than living with my parents. I ate much better, I learned more about money, I learned how to interact with and strengthened relationships with people who are not my parents.

Another metric I might go by more objectively is earning somewhere around 30k/year in a place where $400-500/mo apartments are available. Even a $1000 apartment is less than half a 30k income. You are looking at 1000/mo and 65k, both double my numbers. You're gonna go far, kid.

I don't know, maybe I'm a grumpy old man when it comes to independence, but 24-year-olds in the high end of the 25% tax bracket should not be living with their healthy parents.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:32 pm

nakedbird226 wrote:to commute 2 hours each day
In addition to all the costs having that long of a commute likely gives you little time to get exercise which could be very important especially if you have a desk job. If you have gained some weight since you graduated and are not is as good of shape as you were in college then that could be part of the cause.

Putting on a few pounds a year is really easy to do and by the time you are in your 30's or 40's that can really add up.

If you had a shorter commute and went to the gym or even just walked for an extra hour a few times a week instead that could really help.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Time to move out man. Your financial situation is more than adequate, and your commute is rough. Take the advice of others and do your best to find a roommate, unless you're the personality type who likes to come home to a quiet empty home all of the time. You will probably miss even the human interaction of your parents if you move into your own empty place. Also, my best friends to this day are old roommates of mine. I'm not saying that will always happen, but don't believe all of the nasty roommate stories you hear. I do prefer my current "roommates" (wife and baby), though. :D

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:09 am

nakedbird226 wrote: ... The only thing that I am concerned about is the cost of rent around where I want to live. I am not ready to buy, and in order to get a decent apartment I will have to pay in the $1000-$1100 range each month. I can easily afford that ...
There's your answer. You can afford it. Your parents would probably let you live with them till they die, but you're adult age so act like an adult and start supporting yourself.

Personally I lived with my parents about 3 weeks after graduating from college, until my wedding day. Then new wife and I began our own life together.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.