Features for a new toilet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
reneeh63

Features for a new toilet

Post by reneeh63 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:50 pm

My current toilet is clogging frequently for no good reason - I have to snake it a couple times a month. I don't try to flush stuff I shouldn't and have no kids to drop weird things down it. :confused

Anyway, the house is 13 years old so I'd like to get something new, preferably a one-piece that's easier to keep clean. What's everyone's opinions of:
- Round seat vs. elongated
- "Chair/comfort" height vs standard height seat
- LPF - it can be hard to find this measurement but I want the highest possible for flush power! - this is different than GPF (gallons per flush)
- GPF - how low should I try to go?

Any other features you found were really important after you purchased?

Also, some variations seem to go as high as a $1000 - I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible while still getting a decent one-piece style.

Carl53

Re: Features for a new toilet

Post by Carl53 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:02 pm

We had a problem commode such as you. About 10 years ago I installed a Toto, not sure about the model, but it was one of the higher seat ADA models. Since then I do not believe that it has required unplugging. At that time, I did some google research and found a couple of studies that evaluated the effectiveness of various commodes in flushing floaters and sinkers. I recall that the Toto's in general did well. I'm not sure what they used to simulate both but do remember that it was successful in being able to flush a large number of golf balls without fail.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:06 pm

The Toto's I bought when I remodeled 13 yrs ago have a much larger outlet size than most toilets.(where the flapper goes) This means when you flush it , it empties in about 2 seconds so does the flush with gusto. Much better than the American Standards that were there before.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Are there any hydraulic lifting toilets?

I ask because this emphasis on chair height commodes goes against the traditional Asian style of 'squatting' to eliminate. There has been some thought that the Eastern position more effectively empties the bowels, leading to improved colon health and possibly lower rates of colon disease.

I have no idea if that's true, and don't want to speak too personally about this matter.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... uat-or-sit

If nothing else, it might save time.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:24 pm

I was told the one piece toilets are near impossible to replace the seat. Ask a pro.

Prefer oval for the man of the houses aim.

Prefer regular height to raised as it is closer the the natural squatting position the body prefers.

TMI? LOL!
“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:27 pm

American Standard Champion Series, Elongated, Comfort Height. The best :dollar200 I spent 5-6 years ago.

The thing to look for is a toilet with a simple flush, ours has the old school flapper but its like 3" round, works like champ, it came from Home Depot. Its a two piece, if they have a single piece with the same parts I'm sure that would work just as well.

A new wax ring, bolts and a braided supply line + and hour of your time and you are good to go!

Four in the family, one bath house, its gets a lot of use :wink:
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

wilked

Post by wilked » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:47 pm

I agree with the others, get a Toto

reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 pm

letsgobobby wrote:Are there any hydraulic lifting toilets?

I ask because this emphasis on chair height commodes goes against the traditional Asian style of 'squatting' to eliminate. There has been some thought that the Eastern position more effectively empties the bowels, leading to improved colon health and possibly lower rates of colon disease.

I have no idea if that's true, and don't want to speak too personally about this matter.

I have heard similar thing about the importance of "position" - a lower seat meaning less time sitting and more "getting down to business"! But seems I've also seen other comments elsewhere from women that being less than 5'6" meant the higher "comfort" seat was not comfortable at all for them.

daveatca

geberit

Post by daveatca » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Easy cleaning
Beautiful

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:51 pm

With my remodel I got a Toto to replace a 25+ year-old toilet that used to clog frequently. Works like a charm even with less water. I chose low height because I'm short and non-elongated because space is at a premium. Contractor added a soft-closing lid, which is great except that I sometimes forget when I'm using the other toilet that the lid on that one is not soft-closing. BANG.

A former colleague highly the toilet that is sometimes advertised flushing strange stuff, including golf balls. American Standard Champion 4, I think. I may look into that model if/when I get around to replacing the other toilet.

bpp

Post by bpp » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 am

Washlet.

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:13 am

Shark Tank has a simpler solution for this issue:
http://www.amazon.com/Squatty-Potty%C2% ... atty+potty

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:17 am

wilked wrote:I agree with the others, get a Toto
Ditto+++
I just put one in about a month ago and it is a blessing. I got the ADA compliant version as it makes it easier to get up when your knees begin to go bad. Additionally, I used to regularly plug the old one up but this one has yet to have that problem. Elongated seat.

letsgobobby

Re: geberit

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:19 am

daveatca wrote:Image
Easy cleaning
Beautiful
That is beautiful. Toto also makes similar, possibly even in a washlet model. What is the weight limit?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:23 am

Elevating your feet on a footstool while using the toilet achieves the same result. Much cheaper than buying a special toilet.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:46 am

One more vote for elongated shape. Height not as important as having all of them in the house the same height so you you don't get unpleasant surprises when using different ones especially in the dark.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 am

UncleBen wrote:

Shark Tank has a simpler solution for this issue:
http://www.amazon.com/Squatty-Potty%C2% ... atty+potty
They've got them in the original 7" height, and now the 9" height, for the higher (ADA-type) toilets.

"Better yet", I just browsed online to see if these were really available (they are, plus competition, no surprise), and for those with more aesthetic preferences, there are teak versions.

We haven't tried any of them. (Yet?)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:13 am

reneeh63 wrote:- LPF - it can be hard to find this measurement but I want the highest possible for flush power! - this is different than GPF (gallons per flush)
Isn't LPF "litres per flush" ?

Same thing as GPF but in metric measure

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:16 am

While we're at it, I'd love to get a Toto-type bidet washing toilet seat, but that will require adding an electric outlet nearby. In interim, wife has bought several (for the several toilets) cheaper versions that run $100 and even less. These are pretty darn nice. Maybe as good functionally as the models costing up to $1000 and more. Really great for kids, older people, anyone.

JohnF

Post by JohnF » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:19 am

I installed Toto Drakes in our bathrooms (3) almost ten years ago and have not had one problem with them. Here’s a forum that helped me select and install the toilets –

http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?f ... ussions.3/

reneeh63

Re: geberit

Post by reneeh63 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:03 pm

daveatca wrote:Image
Easy cleaning
Beautiful
This does look great...I'm a little spooked not having the same kind of access to the tank...how fast can you turn the water off if the unthinkable clog actually happens? Is it immediately behind the little door? How is it serviced?

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Toto Drake
Elongated bowl; standard height; soft close lid option.

I'd get the Drake I if you can find it as the Drake II seems to have a little more limited flushing power. (Our 2009 remodel has the Drake I and 2015 remodel has the Drake II.) That being said, I have never had a clog or needed a double flush (except when my 2 year old screams because she didn't get to flush).

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Whatever you do, sit before you buy. I got a lovely looking eurotoilet and it is so much more uncomfortable than the Kohlers we have in the 2 other bathrooms. Sit sit sit before you buy!!

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Have you recently switched TP to the "stronger" brand. :?:

A toilet with a better glaze will resist stains.
We also upgraded to washlet bidets. Which is the low cost alternatve.
Your Comfort Level May Very. (YCLMV) :mrgreen: :oops: :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:37 pm

reneeh63 wrote:My current toilet is clogging frequently for no good reason - I have to snake it a couple times a month. I don't try to flush stuff I shouldn't and have no kids to drop weird things down it. :confused

Anyway, the house is 13 years old so I'd like to get something new, preferably a one-piece that's easier to keep clean. What's everyone's opinions of:
- Round seat vs. elongated
- "Chair/comfort" height vs standard height seat
- LPF - it can be hard to find this measurement but I want the highest possible for flush power! - this is different than GPF (gallons per flush)
- GPF - how low should I try to go?

Any other features you found were really important after you purchased?

Also, some variations seem to go as high as a $1000 - I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible while still getting a decent one-piece style.
I replaced all ours after they were clogging every couple of weeks - We haven't had a clog since. You can get a great toilet for under $500 - we upgraded all ours at around $200 a pop - I saw one advertised at Home Depot that could flush a bucket of golf-balls and that sold me :)
Features to look for:
- Elongated - definitely my preference - personal preference.
- Like the comfort height versus standard - think this is personal preference.
- LPF - the more the merrier.
- There is also some measurement in Grams on how much maximum waste can be removed - the more the better!
- GPF - the more the merrier - I think in the US the law limits you to 1.6Gallons per Flush. I don't believe in the dual-flush models that deliver half the water and hope that things will get clean. What's a couple of extra gallons a day.
- Trapway size and shape - SUPER IMPORTANT - look at the exit pipe in the porcelain - the ones with small/sharp corners will tend to clog more. Some toilets (like the one I bought) are also larger. You want a larger exit with a smoother curve to it. Take a look at your current toilets if the porcelain allows you to see it - I bet you will see some sharp angles - look for smoother transitions.
- Flush-Valve size - also important. I think the ones we bought have a 4".
- Soft/slow-clothing lid - good for us men when we drop the seat down - we don't have to move it gently or let it slam - just tap it and down it goes (you could replace the seat after purchase but many come with this now.
- Anti-bacterial seat - not sure if this is just a marketing gimic or a real thing....

We bought 2 American Standards and one Kohler - but not the kinds with the basic flap inside - they have the higher-powered mechanisms for a few dollars more which flush better - and a larger trapway with smoother curves. I suppose the downside to the larger flush-valve with more powerfuls design is it might be harder to replace than a basic flap but with no longer un-clogging toilets a couple of times a month after doing so for several years I don't care! We bought these at Home Depot for around $200-$300 each as I recall. When we went to the fancy bathroom store with the $1000+ toilets - they looked pretty - but didn't have the better waste-removal specs! The higher pricing was all around look/design rather than function.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Rupert wrote:

Elevating your feet on a footstool while using the toilet achieves the same result. Much cheaper than buying a special toilet.
I asked my wife why we still had a kiddie-stool in our bathroom even though they were now teens - she told me because she still uses it and sent me a bunch of links. Here is one:
http://www.squattypotty.com/

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Rupert wrote:

I asked my wife why we still had a kiddie-stool in our bathroom even though they were now teens - she told me because she still uses it and sent me a bunch of links. Here is one:
http://www.squattypotty.com/
You don't actually need a Squatty Potty, of course; any footstool at the proper height will do. But the technique will change your life :beer

cowboyinasia

Post by cowboyinasia » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:30 pm

A built-in bidet or washlet is great. I had those while living in Japan, and they were available also in many commercial public facilities. They make the post event activity easier and more complete . Nuff said.

Shapes and sizes and flushing mechanisms are just variations on the same theme.

NateH

Post by NateH » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:07 pm

dbCooperAir wrote:American Standard Champion Series, Elongated, Comfort Height. The best :dollar200 I spent 5-6 years ago.

The thing to look for is a toilet with a simple flush, ours has the old school flapper but its like 3" round, works like champ, it came from Home Depot. Its a two piece, if they have a single piece with the same parts I'm sure that would work just as well.

A new wax ring, bolts and a braided supply line + and hour of your time and you are good to go!

Four in the family, one bath house, its gets a lot of use :wink:
Best.
toilets.
ever.

I bought 8. They never clog.
I replaced 3 in my 1950s house, then replaced all 5 toilets in my next house.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:31 pm

ChrisB wrote:Toto Drake
Elongated bowl; standard height; soft close lid option.

I'd get the Drake I if you can find it as the Drake II seems to have a little more limited flushing power. (Our 2009 remodel has the Drake I and 2015 remodel has the Drake II.) That being said, I have never had a clog or needed a double flush (except when my 2 year old screams because she didn't get to flush).
I've been researching this, as I'm looking for more water-friendly toilets for the bathrooms. Toto has recently come out with a derivative of the Drake line called the Entrada. The Entrada has the same basic features of the original Drake, but with a narrower tank. Based on the online reviews, it has avoided the issues some have had with the Drake II. The Entrada is also cheaper than the Drake II and has a better MAP flush rating (Entrada has a 1000 MAP rating while Drake II has 800).

Anyways, I don't have one yet, but the Toto Entrada has risen to the top of my list. Also, the Drake II at the last hotel I stayed at was not bad, but a week of using it at a hotel is not the same as having it in one's home. The Toto Ultramax II, which I experienced during another hotel stay, also had satisfactory flushing performance during the week-long stay.

Edit: These are the Terry Love forum threads that tilted me towards the Entrada:
http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?t ... 4ef.53932/
http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?t ... oto.59578/

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:07 pm

Toto is good but even better is a power flush toilet, similar to what you find in a public restroom. Ask your plumber about it. They are not cheap - parts and labor are over $500.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Have you considered trying to find a Japanese toilet like a TOTO? When it comes to the toilet, the Japanese have outdone themselves. Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xnm1syPnwE

If you can find a 110v Japanese toilet for the states, please let me know, I absolutely must get one someday.

jcar

Post by jcar » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:11 pm

I have installed a couple of the "toilet to go" that I purchased at Lowes. They do great. It is two pieces but I understand the one piece you cannot replace seat. I would stay with normal height if possible for health reasons.

nervousnovice

Post by nervousnovice » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:17 pm

we got an icera muse toilets-one piece skirted design (very modern) with ada seats. i love them, flush great, easy to clean, easy to sit on. i highly recommend the ada comfort seat and one piece design at a very minimum.

i have also replaced a seat on my 1 piece toto without any issues.