LED fluorescent tubes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CABob

LED fluorescent tubes

Post by CABob » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 pm

I noticed in the store recently that LED tubes are available that look like and can replace fluorescent tubes. The ones I saw were about 4-foot long and used in pairs.
Is anyone familiar with these and do you have any comment? It occurs to me that the fluorescent fixtures they are used in generally have things like ballasts, transformers, starters, and things like that that I don't fully understand while LED lights I thought had current going directly to the LED. What happens to all of the additional stuff in the fluorescent fixture?
Bob

mikep

Re: LED fluorescent tubes

Post by mikep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:10 pm

I just ordered this 8ft from amazon last week since my fluorescent tubes died in my garage and work great (they had a 1-pack available).
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon%C2%AE-e ... t8+8ft+LED

1 of those was brighter than 2 60W fluorescent tubes, so I just put 1 in the fixture.
I had to remove the ballast which took about 20 minutes, plenty of videos on youtube. Leaving the ballast in can damage some LED bulbs so make sure to remove it unless you get the kind that can work with the ballast. The ballast doesn't do anything for LEDs other than burn extra power so I suggest removing it.

Works great!

dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:22 am

This site has some information:
http://www.designingwithleds.com/catego ... ineartube/

Most require getting rid of the ballast (that is, direct connection to AC power), but some require it, and others can work with or without. It's best to get rid of it since it's another point of failure.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:40 am

I did some quick checking and I'm not seeing the energy savings with 4' LED versus fluorescent. Over the years, the 4' fluorescent tubes I used were rated at 40 watts. I now see a number online rated at 32 watts. Sometimes "energy saver" bulbs just reduce output and thus wattage. The ones from Amazon mentioned above are rated at 36 watts and the Amazon listing compares them to 75 watt incandescent bulbs when it addresses energy savings (which isn't really a good comparison if they are designed to replace fluorescent). So I'm not sure there would be a lot of energy savings.

The LEDs would have some nice advantages like eliminating ballasts, instantly coming on, no more bulb changes etc. I've seen some flat LED fixtures that are designed to replace the entire fluorescent fixture (like in the 2'x2' or 2'x4' size commonly used in suspended ceilings). I'm waiting for them come down a little in price and then I will be able to stop changing bulbs. I suspect at some point in the future, light bulbs will be a thing of the past. We will just buy a fixture with built in LED technology and change the whole fixture when the LED dies. Maybe not for decorative fixtures like chandeliers but I think this is very likely for small fixtures like hall lights.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:38 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:I did some quick checking and I'm not seeing the energy savings with 4' LED versus fluorescent. Over the years, the 4' fluorescent tubes I used were rated at 40 watts. I now see a number online rated at 32 watts. Sometimes "energy saver" bulbs just reduce output and thus wattage. The ones from Amazon mentioned above are rated at 36 watts and the Amazon listing compares them to 75 watt incandescent bulbs when it addresses energy savings (which isn't really a good comparison if they are designed to replace fluorescent). So I'm not sure there would be a lot of energy savings.
I agree for a small wattage difference like this, one should not go LED before the fluorescent fails on its own accord. Since LEDs are very much the technology of the future, at that point I would go to LED (or change the light fitting).
The LEDs would have some nice advantages like eliminating ballasts, instantly coming on, no more bulb changes etc. I've seen some flat LED fixtures that are designed to replace the entire fluorescent fixture (like in the 2'x2' or 2'x4' size commonly used in suspended ceilings). I'm waiting for them come down a little in price and then I will be able to stop changing bulbs. I suspect at some point in the future, light bulbs will be a thing of the past. We will just buy a fixture with built in LED technology and change the whole fixture when the LED dies. Maybe not for decorative fixtures like chandeliers but I think this is very likely for small fixtures like hall lights.
+1

This is very much how I see it going. In my kitchen, we have an IKEA clear plastic cable with LED lights, under the cupboards, for countertop lighting. That is how it is done these days-- you wouldn't be able to replace a bulb. Works great.

mikep

Post by mikep » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:17 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:I did some quick checking and I'm not seeing the energy savings with 4' LED versus fluorescent. Over the years, the 4' fluorescent tubes I used were rated at 40 watts. I now see a number online rated at 32 watts. Sometimes "energy saver" bulbs just reduce output and thus wattage. The ones from Amazon mentioned above are rated at 36 watts and the Amazon listing compares them to 75 watt incandescent bulbs when it addresses energy savings (which isn't really a good comparison if they are designed to replace fluorescent). So I'm not sure there would be a lot of energy savings.

The amazon ones are compared to 75 watt fluorescent, "incandescent" is probably the default category. I've never seen an 8ft incandescent tube.

I wouldn't recommend proactive replacing, I replaced mine when the tubes and/or ballast died. 36w single tube replaces 120w (2x60w) fluorescent + whatever the ballast was burning was worth it for $38 for me.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:46 pm

mikep wrote: The amazon ones are compared to 75 watt fluorescent, "incandescent" is probably the default category. I've never seen an 8ft incandescent tube
I didn't read your post closely enough- you said they were 8' and I totally missed that. My bad. Amazon says "incandescent" but I'm with you in that I don't think they mean that. An 8' tube should put out more than a 75 watt incandescent buld.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Not sure what you are looking at, but most of the 4' LED tubes are 18w, most 4' Fluorescent are 32-36w.
There is also the difference in heat generated. A traditional fluorescent fixture with a ballast puts off a considerable amount of heat (my infared contactless thermometer says mine is about 90* on the outside of the fixture).
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:35 am

My whole house has been changed over to LEDs except the garage. My wife made me put the LED fluorescent tubes back at Costco where they sold at 2 for $36. Next time I was at Walmart, I picked up two GE Fluorescent tubes for $6. Guess I don't need LEDs that cost 6 times as much and lasts for 45 years in a garage.

The LEDs bulbs come on instantly and have a warmer, brighter light. Well worth the money. The dozens of old fluorescents are in the dark, no windows basement. Not so great because they take time to come to full brightness. Maybe when the price of LED bulbs come down, I'll make the change.

Drifting Along

Post by Drifting Along » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:14 pm

FandangoDave5010 wrote
Guess I don't need LEDs that cost 6 times as much and lasts for 45 years in a garage.
Depends on what you use your garage for. We work on cars, build furniture and boats in our garage. We need lots of light. The 8-foot T-12 fluorescent tubes were flickering and the ballasts were buzzing so I replaced them this spring with LED tubes from Hyperikon. These are a great improvement. They are bright, the color is good, they come on instantly and silently...I forgot what I paid for them at Amazon but I'm sure it was worth it.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 am

FandangoDave5010 wrote:My whole house has been changed over to LEDs except the garage. My wife made me put the LED fluorescent tubes back at Costco where they sold at 2 for $36. Next time I was at Walmart, I picked up two GE Fluorescent tubes for $6. Guess I don't need LEDs that cost 6 times as much and lasts for 45 years in a garage.

The LEDs bulbs come on instantly and have a warmer, brighter light. Well worth the money. The dozens of old fluorescents are in the dark, no windows basement. Not so great because they take time to come to full brightness. Maybe when the price of LED bulbs come down, I'll make the change.
Prices will come down. The better quality of light though tipped me over into buying LEDs. Any marginal power saving too helps, as my electricity price is about USD 22 cents/ kwhr.

stratton

Post by stratton » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 am

Valuethinker wrote:Prices will come down. The better quality of light though tipped me over into buying LEDs. Any marginal power saving too helps, as my electricity price is about USD 22 cents/ kwhr.
As an example, LED 100 watt equivalent bulbs are apparently fairly recent. Price at Costco

3x60 watt equivalent $14.99
1x100 watt equivalent $13.99

Puget Sound Energy has an extra $2 off per bulb. So now $3 per 60 watt bulb or $12 per $100 watt bulb after rebates.

100 watt equivalent LED is very expensive. Buying three 100 watt equivalent is still less expensive than new fixtures. 60 watt equivalent are most of the bulbs I've been buying.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.