Deleted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Re: MP3 player for 8 year old

Post by Toons »

You don't have to pay high prices.
Check it out 20.00,or something along this line :happy

http://www.amazon.com/G-G-Martinsen-Mul ... mp3+player
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
crg11

Post by crg11 »

iOS (which runs on the touch) allows you to set various parental restrictions, such as preventing access to Safari, installing apps, etc. Maybe that will help you out:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

I would consider an iPod Touch or iPad Mini. You can download music using the iTunes App, Google Play, or Amazon Music. You can also sync the device to your computer. I would avoid the shuffle and nano. Shuffle is OK for workouts. Nano is limited functionality compared to touch. You can also set parental controls on iOS devices. It sounds like you have multiple iPads. Could you give her one of those?
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
daveatca

Post by daveatca »

iPhone 6
She is worth it
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

letsgobobby wrote:I am also interested in getting an apple TV to add to my AV receiver, primarily so she can play her music over the stereo and not in headphones: I need to know what she's listening to.
Another alternative is to get a decent set of computer speakers (w/built-in amp) and an adapter cable so she can listen in her own room. I don't like the idea of young children using earbuds and/or headphones. Apparently I'm not alone in this.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=9797364
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24488862/ns/t ... -me-later/
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Sonos speakers may be an option to consider. They're wireless and can play music from your music library as well as online sources like Pandora, Spotify, Amazon etc. Each speaker can be controlled separately i.e. Classical in Dad's study, Taylor Swift in daughter's room, Motown in kitchen. Speakers can be grouped into stereo pairs or larger groups. The sonos system is controlled from apps on PC, Mac, IOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) or Android device. You can open the sonos app and see what is playing on each speaker.

Pandora may give someone the option to play different kinds of music without the need to update music libraries on your computer. Pandora can be free with commercials or commercial free with paid subscription.

I copied my entire music library from my laptop to a USB drive and plugged that USB drive into my router. The sonos speakers can play the music on that shared USB drive so there is no concerns about me taking my laptop out of the house or a desktop PC being powered down.

Sonos is for use at home. iPod is portable. iPod Nano does not have wifi. iPod Nano cannot control a sonos system. iPod Touch has wifi and is essentially an iPhone without the phone.
Wiki
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

iPod Nano does not have internet and must be connected by cable to PC/Mac to update music. No wifi connectivity means no Pandora, no Spotify, no Sonos control. There may be speakers that she can dock the Nano so she can play music over speakers.

iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone so full internet via WiFi. Apple has parental controls in IOS but I have not used any of them. Google iPhone parental controls. Here is one link from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

If you have an old iPhone, try locking it down and see if you're comfortable with it as a device for your child. Does your child have access to your iPads today? That can be used to control sonos speakers.

One downside of iPod Touch and iPhone is that kids love them for games and they can get addicted.
Wiki
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Apple recently updated the iPod touch, now on the 6th generation. It has the same processor as the iPhone 6 but still has the 4" screen. The camera has been updated from 5 to 8 megapixels with better software. Prices start at $200 for the 16GB and go up to $400 for 128GB. B&H Photo has the 16GB for $194 free shipping and they don't charge sales tax. The older 4rth and 5th generation iPod touches are still available some places cheaper but I would go with the latest.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

I think that the iPod Touch is good for an 8 year old. They can even text with their friends if they get the right app.

Why don't you find out what all her friends are using, or better yet, what she'd like?

- Tim
black jack

Post by black jack »

timboktoo wrote:I think that the iPod Touch is good for an 8 year old. They can even text with their friends if they get the right app.

Why don't you find out what all her friends are using, or better yet, what she'd like?
I bought my daughter an iPod Touch when she was 10. She loved it, and took good care of it; it survived 3.5 years before it went missing for good (once it was stolen by a school mate, and returned by their sibling a month later).

One misgiving I had about getting it was about contributing to the arms race of gizmos among her friends at that time. One or two already had cellphones, while others had no devices. At that age (well, to judge by some of my coworkers, at every age) such devices are status symbols, and I didn't want to make other kids feel deprived, put their parents on the spot, or make my daughter feel deprived - no good move there either way. I apologized to a couple of parents after giving my daughter the iPod.
letsgobobby wrote:The dilemma is I don't see how to give her access to the music she wants without having free rein to the internet.
Almost certainly your router has settings that allow you to limit the internet access of connected devices on a schedule you determine. Check your manual or Google your router for instructions on restricting access.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)