New Google Type Face

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

New Google Type Face

Post by CountryBoy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 am

Heads up to computer people who are aware of and care about type fonts.

Google has come out with Product Sans. More info here:

https://storage.googleapis.com/g-design ... ecimen.pdf

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.xamphyx.com/product-sans-download.html

I like it, downloaded it, and it automatically loaded into my MS Word with no problem.

If you like it, you may wish to give it a try.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: New Google Type Face

Post by nisiprius » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am

Is that what they are using for their new logo? What can you say about it? Well, it's better than Comic Sans, I guess.

(I view with alarm their change of logo. I always interpret this kind of change to mean means someone new is in charge, feels insecure about whether they actually have power, and is trying to bolster their ego by demonstrating that they can make a meaningless and arbitrary change-for-the-sake-of-change just to prove that they can).

I thought designers had finally figured out that sans serif type is less legible than type with serifs. (Imagine that, Goudy and Dwiggins and Garamont actually knew their stuff). For years, there was the objection that screens didn't have high enough resolution to render serifs well and sans-serif was somewhat better on-screen, but how ironic that we should abandon them just as "retina" and "HD" displays with >200 dpi, which display serifed fonds beautifully, are almost becoming the norm.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:52 am

P.S. I wonder if screen resolutions are so high that a typeface could actually succeed in having just the trace of extra shading around the top left edge, to convey the crisp look that letterpress has on the page? It's not a great big deal, but I felt that the reading experience lost something when everyone went from letterpress to offset--there's definitely a hint of flat grey appearance to offset. Of course all the designers nowadays seem to be enthusiastically celebrating flat grayness. Oh, well. Give the fad a few years to wear off and everyone to start using serifed type and drop shadows to give their stuff what they will call a fresh, contemporary look.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:59 am

I like the logo better than the old one. Not really a fan of that upward-slanting crossbar on the "e".

Should read better the the old, serifed font on smaller screens such as mobile devices, which is probably the point.
Stay on target...

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:12 am

astrohip wrote:If you really want to know why they did it...
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/ ... pdate.html
Except that's nonsense. They say they are doing it for small screens, and I've already pointed out that the resolution of today's smallest screens is higher than that of yesterday's desktop monitors. If they were happy with the rendering of the Google logo on a 640x480 or 800x600 desktop monitor, why do they need to revise it for a 960x640 cell phone?
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 am

Sorry, I think the change is ridiculous. Such a big deal about nothing. The old one looks better, and I can see it just fine on any device. Sheesh.

workingstiff

Post by workingstiff » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:08 pm

LK2012 wrote:Sorry, I think the change is ridiculous. Such a big deal about nothing. The old one looks better, and I can see it just fine on any device. Sheesh.
I agree. I thought the old one was just fine, and I don't really like the new one. It looks too childish for some reason. I'm always a bit skeptical when companies "update" their look, especially when the old one was just fine.
Maybe this change is to go with the new parent company called alphabet, which makes me think of singing the abc song. So the new simple kid-like look fits with that I guess, but doesn't make me think high-tech or cutting edge. Sometime simple is good, other times it's not what you want.
But as my wife would say, I don't like change (especially unnecessary change), so don't listen to me. :)

dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:18 pm

nisiprius wrote:For years, there was the objection that screens didn't have high enough resolution to render serifs well and sans-serif was somewhat better on-screen, but how ironic that we should abandon them just as "retina" and "HD" displays with >200 dpi, which display serifed fonds beautifully, are almost becoming the norm.
Sony just introduced a 5.5" phone with 800dpi (3840x2160). I don't know what it's good for (maybe people with excellent near vision who don't mind holding the phone right up against their eyeball?), but it's amazing.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:43 pm

If you really want to know why they did it...

And some commentary...
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... -logo.html

And finally, the actual system designers talk about the why, the how, and in far more detail than you thought possible...
https://design.google.com/articles/evol ... -identity/
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:51 pm

workingstiff wrote:
LK2012 wrote:Sorry, I think the change is ridiculous. Such a big deal about nothing. The old one looks better, and I can see it just fine on any device. Sheesh.
I agree. I thought the old one was just fine, and I don't really like the new one. It looks too childish for some reason. I'm always a bit skeptical when companies "update" their look, especially when the old one was just fine.
Maybe this change is to go with the new parent company called alphabet, which makes me think of singing the abc song. So the new simple kid-like look fits with that I guess, but doesn't make me think high-tech or cutting edge. Sometime simple is good, other times it's not what you want.
But as my wife would say, I don't like change (especially unnecessary change), so don't listen to me. :)
Yup.

Why don't they also add the horizontal lines, with the middle one made of dashes, so we know exactly how high to make the "e" and the "o", or the top of the lower case "g".
Let's see... was that second grade?
And in third grade we were really grown up and got *plain* lined paper!!!!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:15 pm

astrohip wrote:If you really want to know why they did it...
Except that's nonsense. They say they are doing it for small screens, and I've already pointed out that the resolution of today's smallest screens is higher than that of yesterday's desktop monitors. If they were happy with the rendering of the Google logo on a 640x480 or 800x600 desktop monitor, why do they need to revise it for a 960x640 cell phone?

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:18 pm

astrohip wrote:And finally, the actual system designers talk about the why, the how, and in far more detail than you thought possible...
https://design.google.com/articles/evol ... -identity/
And that's nonsense, too, and an insult to our intelligence. "A refinement of what makes us Googley, combining the best of the brand our users know and love with thoughtful consideration for how their needs are changing." If they think the appearance of the Google logo is "what makes us Googley," they weren't paying attention. What made Google Googley was filling a functional need, doing search far better than anything that had ever come before.

I like Google because it does useful things for me--Google Docs, for one.

It is very disturbing to me that they're fussing with the logo. They're not keeping their eye on the ball.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:51 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.

It's also not a Personal Consumer Issue
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.