So-called charity won't delete my name

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grandmacassie

So-called charity won't delete my name

Post by grandmacassie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:02 am

Need advice. A so-called charity that calls itself the National Diabetes Fund will not remove my name from its mail list or cease sharing my contact info with other so-called charities. (I refer to this entity as "so-called" because its solicitation materials state, in the fine print, that 75% of its revenue goes to fundraising activities and 5.79% to program services.) The materials clearly state that you can be removed from their list by sending them a postcard, and likewise you can ask them not to share your info with other entities. I have done this repeatedly to no avail. Anybody else know about these scam artists? Any tips on getting them to leave me alone? Also, it seems that the National Diabetes Fund is under the umbrella of an organization named Project Cure, Inc.. The Prostate Cancer fund and The Alzheimer's Disease Fund are also under this umbrella. What watchdog agency can I contact to get these people to leave me alone?

likegarden

Re: So-called charity won't delete my name

Post by likegarden » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:18 am

I would not respond to any mail and calls from these type of organizations, and they finally will get the message and leave you alone. We do not respond and have peace. You will not get involved with them by not answering their phone calls and messages and not opening their mails, simply delete and throw out. By responding they are hoping that you will break down and pay them something.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 am

Report them to your state Attorney General's office. In my state (and, I suspect, most states), any "charity" that solicits in the state is required to register with the Attorney General.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 am

One detail. If you actually want to take the time to get a government agency to take action against them, you need to be sure you can give that agency a good clear paper trail showing that you did request that they remove your name from the list and that they didn't do it.

For example, did you make the request in writing and mail it to the scam charity via certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep a record of the address that was sent and what the outcome was (whether they accepted it and signed for it, or whether it could not be delivered)? Do you have written evidence of further solicitations? (For example, if you got something in the mail and it's dated, copy it; if it isn't dated, make a copy of the piece sitting next to the envelope showing the postmark).

I don't say you should do it, I'm saying it's probably not worth the effort of going partway on this unless you're prepared to do that much.

Not surprisingly, "National Diabetes Fund," by that exact name, seems to be a difficult Google search. And I'm not turning it up at web pages like this one, America's Worst Charities

Does their material give a headquarters address and the name of its top officer? (I bet a nickel it's a P.O. box). (You can, of course, send certified mail, return receipt requested to a P.O. box and if it's straight you will get a signature).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:43 am

???? "Project C.U.R.E." with periods after the letters looks legit. They also do not appear to have any specific diabetes-related programs. I'm guessing the scam is claiming an association with a diffently-named, misleadingly-named umbrella organization?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:49 am

Do they send post paid envelopes? Fill it with other junk mail without your name/address. Stuff it very full. Mail it to them. It will cost them money to receive and handle it. It's called "trash mail" and is often used against junk mail senders.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:18 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Do they send post paid envelopes? Fill it with other junk mail without your name/address. Stuff it very full. Mail it to them. It will cost them money to receive and handle it. It's called "trash mail" and is often used against junk mail senders.

For the entities that are sketchy, I make their solicitation letter into a paper airplane and send it back to them in their postage paid envelope. Really creepy companies get my junk mail, as much as I can fit in. Not rally passive-aggressive as much as aggressive-aggressive, I know. :twisted:

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Do they send post paid envelopes? Fill it with other junk mail without your name/address. Stuff it very full. Mail it to them. It will cost them money to receive and handle it. It's called "trash mail" and is often used against junk mail senders.

I reluctantly admit I did this in past years. Or pursued repetitive phone calls, etc. Or asked robocallers to "take me off the list." Followed by reporting them to the National Do Not Call List.

Then for several years I used https://www.catalogchoice.org/login It took some time and effort but after several months most catalogs stopped to occasionally restart when they shared a new list. But we went from perhaps a hundred a month to mainly just the ones we wanted.

I recall they may have added a (charitable) solicitation function.

In recent years I don't have the emotional energy to go beyond just putting the envelope in the trash and getting on with my life.

Don't get me started on email spam.

grandmacassie

Post by grandmacassie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks for the replies. A web search verifies that Project C.U.R.E. is legit. Fie on Project Cure Inc. for co-opting the name! This Project Cure Inc is actually not a charity, though it masquerades as one. It is a 501 c 4 organization (non-profit trade assoc or lobbying org., I thnk). Again, revealed in the fine print. I know legit charities are exempt from restrictions such as DO NOT CALL lists, etc. What about the "c 4's"? I'm not going to give up. Sending a fat envelope full of paper shreds is a fun idea.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:31 am

grandmacassie wrote:Need advice. A so-called charity that calls itself the National Diabetes Fund will not remove my name from its mail list or cease sharing my contact info with other so-called charities.

I think you are talking about USPS mail. It took a long time (a couple of years) but I've had very good success with getting a rubber stamp made with "PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM YOUR MAILING LIST" and stamping all unwanted sales/charity/political type solicitations with that in red ink. Then we send back the first page of it in their prepaid envelope. It only takes a few minutes to do a stack of them. My mailman likes the fact that the post office gets their business both ways. :D

You have to be very persistent but after multiple repeats of this most of them have eventually given up. Some wise up and only stop including a return envelope that is postage paid, but even those seem to have significantly reduced their frequency of mailing. Anyway, our previously huge pile of junk mail has shrunk to something quite reasonable.
JW
Retired at Last

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 am

Jack FFR1846's reply reminded me of a friend's father. He was a dyed-in-the-wool union member and Democrat who somehow got himself on the Republican Party mailing list. They ignored his requests to remove him from their mailing list. He took the post-paid envelopes meant for you to send in donations and started taping each one to a brick and sending it back. It didn't take very many bricks before he was taken off their list :-).
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 am

There is little or nothing to be done.
You get HUGE leaway when classifying yourself as a non-profit fundraiser. The worst offenders give 3-5%. In some cases, the charity OWED MORE than the fund raiser raised and how to pay them out of pocket.
Research before you give -- and if you do decide to give; do it directly, not from fundraising calls -

Here are the best guides to charitable giving.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/
http://www.guidestar.org/

Getting them to stop calling can be a major problem. Goofing on them might work, or just making funny noises while they talk to you.
If you only waste their time, sooner or later they will probably put you on a "waste" list.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:02 am

I made the mistake of giving to the Alzheimer's Foundation - it's a legit charity, the contribution was made as a memorial to someone who had been afflicted with the disease. Anyway, they sold my name and address to other charities, now I've been bombarded with requests for money.....it's gotten kind of ridiculous, I don't answer the mail, I just toss it in the recycle bin.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 am

One great solution that probably won't work for you: move. After 20 years at the same address, I moved in May. I've gone from literally pounds of catlogs, solicitations and other junk mail per week to zero. It's lovely.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:I made the mistake of giving to the Alzheimer's Foundation - it's a legit charity, the contribution was made as a memorial to someone who had been afflicted with the disease. Anyway, they sold my name and address to other charities, now I've been bombarded with requests for money.....it's gotten kind of ridiculous, I don't answer the mail, I just toss it in the recycle bin.

That highlights the best feature of Donor Advised Funds. You can give anonymously (or with an innocuous fund name, as we do) ear mark it as a memorial donation and notify the family yourself that you made a donation anonymously to protect your privacy. Doesn't work that well at Vanguard Charitable unless you're very flush, but Fidelity Charitable really lends itself to this. :happy

DetroitRed

Post by DetroitRed » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 am

grandmacassie wrote:Thanks for the replies. A web search verifies that Project C.U.R.E. is legit. Fie on Project Cure Inc. for co-opting the name! This Project Cure Inc is actually not a charity, though it masquerades as one. It is a 501 c 4 organization (non-profit trade assoc or lobbying org., I thnk). Again, revealed in the fine print. I know legit charities are exempt from restrictions such as DO NOT CALL lists, etc. What about the "c 4's"? I'm not going to give up. Sending a fat envelope full of paper shreds is a fun idea.

What about quickly contacting Project C.U.R.E. and letting them know someone is co-opting their good name? The legit charity would have the most incentives to aggressively pursue the co-opter and get them to stop their activities.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:47 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:I made the mistake of giving to the Alzheimer's Foundation - it's a legit charity, the contribution was made as a memorial to someone who had been afflicted with the disease. Anyway, they sold my name and address to other charities, now I've been bombarded with requests for money.....it's gotten kind of ridiculous, I don't answer the mail, I just toss it in the recycle bin.

Make the donation, but give a temp email address.
IF you can, give a phony phone #; and if you can pay with PayPal it will shield your critical information.
One of my credit card shows only a po box that I have. That along with the incorrect phone number shields a lot of unwanted calls.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Don't know if this still works, but search for "mail a brick". Recall it could be as simple as taping charity's postage-paid return envelop to a brick. Then their solicitation turns into a USPO donation.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 pm

FYI, here's some info on the National Diabetes Fund which is run by Project Cure, out of FL. This is from the Tampa Bay Times, number 15 of "America's Worst Charities"," http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst- ... t-cure-inc

Some years ago I shared office space in a complex that offered a mail box service. I recall they received mailed-in donations for organizations with about fifteen variety of names for kidney disease charities. All that mail went to the same box.

It's too easy to get a 501(c)3 designation.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:12 pm

To all the people suggesting mailing heavy things in business reply envelopes: have you really seen any? It seems to me that it's been a good decade since charities used them. All the solicitations we have now just have a little printed square that says something like "Your stamp helps us fight melisma."
blueblock wrote:One great solution that probably won't work for you: move. After 20 years at the same address, I moved in May. I've gone from literally pounds of catlogs, solicitations and other junk mail per week to zero. It's lovely.
Good for you. Several people I know reported receiving all kinds of new junk mail after they submitted a USPS change-of-address form and are convinced the USPS sold their change-of-address information to direct marketers.

Google, click, click... apparently they are not paranoid, but apparently after 2002(?) the post office only sells your new address to companies that already have your old address.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:14 pm

I used to tape the post paid envelope to a brick and send it back to them.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Even reputable charities have used fund raisers that kept 20,30.40% and more of the money raised.
I never respond to a solicitation and will only donate to those that I have researched.
There is a lot of fraud and even among the reputable there is much misrepresentation.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:02 pm

How about combining two of the ideas offered above: Use the postage paid envelope to send them a cc of the letter you send to the state attorney general.

Somehow or other I got on the mail list of an org with political inclinations 180 degrees from mine. Each month I just tear up their newsletter, that contains columns and speeches by somewhat prominent people. But sometimes they send a survey and include a request for ideas about who I would like to see write articles for coming issues. If they provide a postage-paid envelope, I respond to the survey truthfully and I also recommend some contributors who would have them reaching for the smelling salts.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:07 pm

nisiprius wrote:To all the people suggesting mailing heavy things in business reply envelopes: have you really seen any? It seems to me that it's been a good decade since charities used them. All the solicitations we have now just have a little printed square that says something like "Your stamp helps us fight melisma."

I just threw two prepaid return envelopes in the recycling bin that were in today's shipment of donation requests. WWF and St. Jude. Both also must have received my new address from the USPS.

We have only lived at this address for four months and we are already drowning in those "handy dandy" address stickers that various charities send out with their donation requests.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 pm

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Zott

Post by Zott » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:48 pm

When my mother-in-law passed away about 3 years ago, we had her mail forwarded to us. That worked sporadically, many pieces were not forwarded. However, we did start getting her junk mail and solicitations, and she had plenty. :oops:

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:02 pm

You can thank the law firm in the story below for the legality of all these sleazy companies that charge 80-90% of whatever they raise for charity. There is a whole industry that he has defended state by state, and Federally and won every case.
Sleazy firms and IMHO very sleazy lawyer. He really beliefs he is upholding freedom of speech (or so he says)

http://www.tampabay.com/news/let-it-rin ... es/2141401

Errol Copilevitz started his legal career representing strip clubs and porn shops on the seedy side of Kansas City. Then he took free-speech arguments honed defending topless bars to a more lucrative field.

Philanthropy. Today Copilevitz is the undisputed king of the charity world.

pondering

Post by pondering » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Another vote for:

Report them to your state Attorney General's office. In my state (and, I suspect, most states), any "charity" that solicits in the state is required to register with the Attorney General.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (turned into general rant, topic exhausted). See: Personal Consumer Issues

...General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.