New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
munemaker

Re: New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Post by munemaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Toons wrote:Get a Crv-EXL or touring model and have about 15-18k left to "invest" :D :D
+1

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:06 pm

sunny_socal wrote:OP, are you really using the "get a bunch of internet quotes and pick the best one" method, or are you still walking into the dealership to "negotiate"? Maybe I'm wrong about the Pilot (is it a hot new vehicle or something?), but I bought an Accord last year and it was trivial to get a great price using the internet quote method. The key factor: never step foot in a dealership to talk price. You can of course pretend to buy one and do the test drive, but after that go home and get online.
Jd1006 wrote:I've got 27k miles on the 2016 XC90 and it has been a fantasti vehicle. Way ahead of its peers in infotainment, excellent in the snow, easy on gas (28mpg this past summer!). Find a used 2016 for a good price on a great SUV. I drove all the options mentioned in this thread and none compared to the Volvo
Yes, this is my dream 3-row SUV at the moment! :) Will hopefully order one through their OSD program at the end of this year, and hence it will be either a 2018 or 2019 model.

My survey of vehicles in the $50k range:
(Along with my current impression)
- Honda Pilot: Seems like excellent value and quality. My wife doesn't like the current "minivan" look, otherwise we'd get one.
- Toyota Highlander: Another excellent vehicle! I wouldn't mind getting one, wife hasn't warmed up to it.
- Audi Q7: Nice car but wife didn't like the infotainment system. Expensive.
- Mazda CX-9: Not much room in the back
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: Pretty nice vehicle for the money! Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat reliability occupies all the bottom slots on the chart though :( Little room in the back.
- Acura MDX: Meh. Doesn't anything beyond the Honda, unless you like the looks.
- Lexus RX350: Got hit with the ugly stick. Wouldn't be caught dead in one of these. Little room in the back.
- VW Atlas: Poor man's Q7? Not available yet but seems great in every way.
- Volvo XC90: Fantastic value, you get a lot of features for the $$. Luxury car for the price of a Honda/Toyota. Initial adopters got hit with some bugs but Volvo is working through them. Roomy, looks great.
No I did not go to the dealership. No need to do so. Just email/phone contact and basically pitch one versus the others asking them if they can beat a given price and they slowly fade away until you get the lowest 2 or 3 dealers.
We need a 3rd row SUV and thus a lot on your list are not for us.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Browser wrote:How come nobody ever mentions the Jeep Grand Cherokee? I see a bizillion of them on the road.
Fabulous vehicle. Had one from 2001 to 2015. Bought another one 12 months ago. Looked at the others but for value the Jeep Grand Cherokee couldn't be beat. Same features and luxury options costs about $15k more in a Toyota. Electronic shifter problem has been fixed.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 pm

I just priced out a Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum Edition. Right at $49,000 MSRP. I'm not sure what the real price would be. I will probably buy this when I get rid of my pick-up.

Ralph

straws46

Post by straws46 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Same situation. Been shopping online and keep coming back to the MDX for its safety features and price versus the other luxury brands. I guess the fact we bought the first version MDX in 2001 and still have it and love it sways us that direction. But you can't go wrong with the two you first mentioned.

jainn

Post by jainn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Audi Q7.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Browser wrote:How come nobody ever mentions the Jeep Grand Cherokee? I see a bizillion of them on the road.
I don't know about the most recent ratings, but the Jeep brand is usually at or close to the bottom of the reliability rankings in Consumer Reports. Why take a chance? Stick with Honda or Toyota.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:04 pm

For high $30's, Chevy Traverse LTZ trim package would seat 7 comfortably and have all the amenities of a $50k SUV.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:04 am

( quoted below )
Last edited by LiveSimple on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:06 am

munemaker wrote:
I don't know about the most recent ratings, but the Jeep brand is usually at or close to the bottom of the reliability rankings in Consumer Reports. Why take a chance? Stick with Honda or Toyota.

Lease Jeep Grand Cherooke, here in Midwest leasing works better as well.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 am

southbay wrote:I have owned a couple 4Runners. Great vehicle if you plan to actually go off road. The limited edition has lots of luxuries.
I just pulled the trigger on a 2016 4Runner, love it! $36,400 out the door.

Highlander is a more comfortable ride.

Honda and Toyota will provide many trouble free miles and depreciate slowly.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:20 am

Get a base model Forrester.

Then folks on threads like this can call you cheap.

Take money saved, eat in nice restaurants and post in the How much do you spend at restaurants thread and have folks tell you that you are a spend thrift.

Or go for broke and spend the money saved on vacation and post in the How much do you spend on vacation thread, and get lit up!

:)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:53 am

For 50K you can probably get a base model (XLT trim) Ford Expedition. Not great on gas but the highest scoring vehicle in its class for Customer satisfaction according to Consumer Reports.

zadie

Post by zadie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 am

We are also shopping for a 3 row vehicle with captains chairs in 2nd row. Already have a minivan. Have you looked at the Buick Enclave or the gmc acadia? We test drove both last week.

homermtb

Post by homermtb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm starting this search myself and I find that the Ford Explorer seems to fit all of these requirements….pricing, 3rd row seat, etc.

I'm curious as to why more people haven't considered the explorer alongside the pilot and highlander. Anyone with experience or info on the ford explorer that might steer me towards getting one? (or not getting one) thanks.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 am

I think it is mainly the Honda/Toyota reputation for reliability and resale value.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 am

Toyota Sequoia. I sat in one at the auto show and it's very comfortable. The Highlander felt cramped to me.

frugalfraggle

Post by frugalfraggle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:30 am

ERguy101 wrote:Jeep Grand Cherokee. All the tech, beautiful interior, great ride.
I got the 2024 Diesel, great vehicle!

sat24

Post by sat24 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 am

Everyone suggested an XC90 --

I assume you mean a new model - which is definitely going to cost above 50K. When I looked at it a year ago (when XC90 was remodeled) it was in the 60-65K on road.

I didn't buy it eventually given it's V4 motor (!!!) - there was a car and driver review that said they were worried about the engine's reliability at 50,000 miles and above. Granted the engine lacks no power, with its turbocharging and electric assist, but still its a V4 motor with all the pros (fuel eff) / cons (sound/vibration, esp. over time). I believe Volvo even put a sound dampening cover over the motor to mask the vibrations.

I ended up getting my 2nd choice, the Infiniti QX60 fully loaded. Came to 55K on road. But I really wanted to XC90 - sexy as hell, much more updated interior, and electronics, but it's engine guts gave me pause. It's possible they have more trims available (true V6) now, they only had 1 trim available back then (Dec 2015).

sat24

Post by sat24 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:17 am

jainn wrote:Audi Q7.
Great car, but not for 50K (new).

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

frugalfraggle wrote:
ERguy101 wrote:Jeep Grand Cherokee. All the tech, beautiful interior, great ride.
I got the 2024 Diesel, great vehicle!
How did you get your hands on the 2024 Jeep...the tech in that must be unreal. :wink:

I have a 2012 (bought in 2011) Jeep Grand Cherokee that I love...Hopefully I can get many more trouble free years out of it.

Unfortunately for the OP though, it doesn't have a 3rd row.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm

I would be concerned about the Volvo just because, in general, European cars get very expensive to repair down the line (from my personal experience).
It would be OK to deal with more expensive repairs if they had top notch reliability when they get older, but I don't see this to be true.

The Toyotas, etc. aren't cheap to repair, but at least they don't seem to need it so often down the line.
The American cars seem to need more repair, but I've found the repairs themselves are not super-expensive.
With the European cars, you don't get either of these advantages.

Out of curiosity, how have the Chrysler/Jeep vehicles been repair-wise as they get older?

jainn

Post by jainn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 pm

sat24 wrote:
jainn wrote:Audi Q7.
Great car, but not for 50K (new).

Kind of close with added avail of 2.0T engine? And
3-5% off MSRP.

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/news/p ... r-cylinder

Model year 2017 Q7 with available 2.0-liter engine starting manufacturer suggested retail prices; on sale early 2017.
MODEL 2017 Q7 2.0T quattro®

PREMIUM $49,000

PREMIUM PLUS $53,000

Prices above exclude destination charge ($950), taxes, title, options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price.

For more information, please visit http://www.audiusa.com.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm

I just caught an episode of Motorweek on TV today where they looked at 3-row SUV's under $45k. The replay is on YouTube if you're interested.

Spoiler: The top two they liked were the Honda Pilot and GMC Acadia.

The also did a segment on mid-size SUV's. The two top were the Nissan Murano and Ford Edge.

homermtb

Post by homermtb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 am

Nice. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there were so many youtube reviews on cars…

If only the new pilot wasn't so ugly. I'm moving closer to the highlander. Seems to be the easiest "set it and forget it" type suv.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Consumer reports really loved the Highlander.

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:13 am

sat24 wrote:Everyone suggested an XC90 --

I assume you mean a new model - which is definitely going to cost above 50K. When I looked at it a year ago (when XC90 was remodeled) it was in the 60-65K on road.

I didn't buy it eventually given it's V4 motor (!!!) - there was a car and driver review that said they were worried about the engine's reliability at 50,000 miles and above. Granted the engine lacks no power, with its turbocharging and electric assist, but still its a V4 motor with all the pros (fuel eff) / cons (sound/vibration, esp. over time). I believe Volvo even put a sound dampening cover over the motor to mask the vibrations.

I ended up getting my 2nd choice, the Infiniti QX60 fully loaded. Came to 55K on road. But I really wanted to XC90 - sexy as hell, much more updated interior, and electronics, but it's engine guts gave me pause. It's possible they have more trims available (true V6) now, they only had 1 trim available back then (Dec 2015).
Volvo has been making turbocharged v4 for years. As with any redesign there's gonna be skepticism of durability, work with a good dealer and get the extended warranty. I'm at 27k miles and the SUV is wonderful. Engine noise is not an issue. It blows away all other 3-rows

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:17 am

For the sake of the discussion, It's important to note that the three row SUVs all have very different capabilities in regards to installing child car seats. A non issue if you don't have a young family, but if you do the list becomes narrow quickly.

For example, the Volvo SUV does not not offer lower latch or rear tethers in the third row. This may not be an issue day to day, but for example driving Parents + Grandparents + 2 children, Would require the the grandparents to sneeze into the tiny third row. Want to carry three children in car seats, some SUVs can do three across in the third row, but a lot can't due to seat belt overlap. Interested in a Ford vehicle? if it has inflatable seat belts, you can't use them to install child seats.

Not an issue for everyone, but after doing some research, I now understand why parents go to the Minivan so quickly.

http://thecarseatlady.com/2015familyveh ... WSUVTESTED

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:18 am

Highlander is a great choice. It signals you want Asian quality and reliability and that you are not overly concerned with looks, 4wd, clearance, power, prestige, etc. I would definitely skip all the American and European brands which cost more and offer less in terms of reliability.

Other comparables to test drive would be the Sorento, Pilot, Venza, RDX, Santa Fe and CRV. Sequoia and LC are too big. Lexus styling is appalling.

My recommendation would be the Sorento or Santa Fe for quality, cost, features and looks.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:24 am

PowDay wrote: For example, the Volvo SUV does not not offer lower latch or rear tethers in the third row. This may not be an issue day to day, but for example driving Parents + Grandparents + 2 children, Would require the the grandparents to sneeze into the tiny third row. Want to carry three children in car seats, some SUVs can do three across in the third row, but a lot can't due to seat belt overlap. Interested in a Ford vehicle? if it has inflatable seat belts, you can't use them to install child seats.

http://thecarseatlady.com/2015familyveh ... WSUVTESTED
Neither does the Highlander. Only has latch for the second row or captains chairs.

scb175

Post by scb175 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 am

Just went through the search for a new vehicle. Came from a Nissan Rogue, but test drove Odyssey, Pacifica, Sienna, Kia Sedona and Sorrento. Then I did some research and found out about the Highlander. The 3rd Gen Highlanders start 2014 and are very expensive. I ended up purchasing a 2013 SE Plus for 7k less than what the similar 2014 models go for. Talk about incredible value! It only has 30k miles, and yes it has a few scuff marks on the dash and a scratch here and there. I'm impressed with how smooth and quiet it rides. My wife, who was all about a minivan is very happy with our choice. We leave the 3rd row down, but if we ever need to use the seats, I tested them out and didn't think it was that bad. I'm sure two adults would get uncomfortable over a long ride, but plenty of room for one to stretch out.

Just wanted to pass this on....

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:07 pm

I just picked up the April 2017 issue of Consumer Reports, the annual auto issue.

They ranked 31 brands.

Out of the 31 brands ranked, Jeep came in 30th. They did manage to beat Fiat.

Also, the Jeep Grand Cherokee was not recommended. It was ranked 11th out of 18 mid size SUVs.

In response to your question, that's why "nobody ever mentions the Jeep Grand Cherokee."

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Browser wrote:From what I read the new Volvo XC90 is tops. But you'll pay more than $50K for one, no discounts, and you'll be on a waiting list to get one.
Volvo XC90 not recommended by Consumer Reports. Ranked 12th out of 15 Luxury mid sized SUVs.

Volvo (overall) was ranked 14 out of 31 manufacturers.

The waiting list for the Volvo XC90 is a list you want to stay off of!

queso

Post by queso » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am

munemaker wrote:
Browser wrote:From what I read the new Volvo XC90 is tops. But you'll pay more than $50K for one, no discounts, and you'll be on a waiting list to get one.
Volvo XC90 not recommended by Consumer Reports. Ranked 12th out of 15 Luxury mid sized SUVs.

Volvo (overall) was ranked 14 out of 31 manufacturers.

The waiting list for the Volvo XC90 is a list you want to stay off of!
+1. We've got a couple of resident XC90 fanboys that will come along in a minute and say how wonderful it is, but I have successfully stayed away from it despite having the temptation of staring one in the face every morning (my coworker has one and parks next to me - beautiful car for sure!). What I am getting mildly excited about is the new Subaru Ascent/Viziv 7. If Subaru can build a decent third row SUV that doesn't look like the Pilodyssey (new Pilot) then I may go all in with Subaru again and ditch my old Pilot. I'm going to hold out until I can at least take a look at the Subaru and hope that another option or two comes out in the meantime so I have a couple of options.

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:11 am

I wouldn't call myself an XC90 fanboy, but I have 30k miles on my 2016 and it has been a terrific vehicle.

Kencufc

Post by Kencufc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:55 am

My vote goes for the Acura MDX. Get 3 year old vehicle. They depreciate quickly in the first couple years just like any higher end car. A little more expense in upkeep and gas, but mine is 2011, 70k miles, much more comfortable than my pilot. Great for trips.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:28 am

Jd1006 wrote:I wouldn't call myself an XC90 fanboy, but I have 30k miles on my 2016 and it has been a terrific vehicle.
I think there are more XC60 fanboys here than XC90, but we are big fans of Volvo. Disclosure: kids own 2 XC60s and 1 S60, but the only one who owned an XC90 is my ex, so, you know... :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Toyota 4Runner.....Landcruiser :happy

victorb

Post by victorb » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Someone mentioned Kia Sorento. Also look at the full length Hyundai Santa fe. Best warranty in the industry - 5 yr. 60,000 miles bumper to bumper and 10 yr. 100,000 mile drivetrain as is the Kia. 3.3 V6 has a 5000 lb. towing capacity It is definitely worth a look and test drive.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:03 pm

+1. Better value than Toyota. Beautiful, comfortable vehicle. Suggest a used 2-year-old Summit model, which should be within your budget. Safety features are amazing. Imagine never having to dim your headlights manually again, the Summit automatically dims them for you then puts them back on the high beam setting when the approaching vehicle passes. Headlights look around corners. Warns you of cars in your blind spot. Fabulous sounding19-speaker sound system. Special sound dampening technology. My husband and I fight over who drives the Jeep and who drives the hot convertible... both trying for the Jeep!

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:47 pm

I would buy a Ford Explorer. Sport trim level if it was in the budget.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 am

Wife and I are in this same situation looking to replace her '08 Pilot. We will most likely get a '17 Pilot EX-L (mid trim) you can be out the door under 38 tax included.

I wont touch the higher trims, too much money for this class vehicle and have heard bad things about the 9sp ZF transmission. Looked at Highlander and its smaller and we dont care for the front end styling - otherwise Toyota is always a solid value.

Im sure the Hyundai's are fine. My parents have one - looks quite nice. I just prefer Honda. Wont touch Volvo or Jeep for reliability reasons. Same for Ford, first hand bad experiences with them in the past. I would have said the same about Audi until recently but CR does say they are improving. Still too expensive for a kid hauler though, maybe in retirement.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Jd1006 wrote:Volvo has been making turbocharged v4 for years. As with any redesign there's gonna be skepticism of durability, work with a good dealer and get the extended warranty. I'm at 27k miles and the SUV is wonderful. Engine noise is not an issue. It blows away all other 3-rows
Last year, I was ready to buy one, but the repairs issue worried me. Too many reports of early problems and concern about long term reliability. At the time, their demand was still high, and the wanted MSRP to get on a wait list AND $3500-4000 for the extended warranty. I think the offered about $500 off or something like that. I laughed and left.
It's a great luxury 3 row SUV, but I don't think it's worth the cost. If the price were $3500 off MSRP with the extended warranty, that might change my mind. I would still worry about the repairs, but I wouldn't be paying for them, and I'd have to see how it goes if I were willing to risk keeping it beyond the warranty period. I suspect long term, it will be comparable to Mercedes, BMW and Audi on the repair and costs (vs. Acura/Lexus).

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Guys this is a nit pick, but the Volvo engine is an inline 4, not a v4. With the exception of some very obscure and older cars, vee 4s have only ever been made in motorcycles.

I mention it just because, if you ever walk into a less than scrupulous auto shop and call it a V4 you are likely to get taken to the cleaners...

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Buick Enclave or the GMC equivalent

erock139

Post by erock139 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Drove the Audi (too expensive, and only the Q7 seemed large enough), BMW X5 we loved (also too expensive, small third row and cost $1500 extra), Acura MDX (rear seating area felt a little crammed). Mercedes GL350 was too small it felt. Finally fell in love with the Infiniti QX60. Everything is standard including rear seat, heat warmers, heated steering wheel, remote entrance/start, you name it. Leather. AWD. We added the sun roof, premium package plus, and rear entertainment for the baby. I think we paid $48k all done with taxes. Of course you have to haggle a bit from the website-quoted $53k but it had everything we wanted in the end. Wife loves is = I'm happy.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 am

Now that Acura came out with a hybrid MDX getting 28 mpg in city driving it would certainly be an option if you're still in the market.

pittpirate1985

Post by pittpirate1985 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Wanted to bump this thread up - for 2018, which of the recommended ones on here are acceptable for adults in the 3rd row? Minivan is not an option.

Deciding between Highlander Hybrid/XC90 T6/XC90 T8/Honda Pilot. Would like hybrid but not a must.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 pm

If you want to spend that much money, maybe you should try to get your hands on that new Subaru Ascent?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 pm
If you want to spend that much money, maybe you should try to get your hands on that new Subaru Ascent?
I'm waiting to see it in person. I built one out the other day online and pretty well loaded it was only $45k. I did the same thing with a new Land Rover Discovery and it was over $70k. :shock: