New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Toons

Re: New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Post by Toons » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:23 am

Get a Crv-EXL or touring model and have about 15-18k left to "invest" :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

henry

Post by henry » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:26 am

Any reason why you don't just want another Honda Odyssey? If you are going to use to third row a lot and don't need AWD, a minivan is less expensive, and gets better MPG. It is very safe, rates in the safest 1% on informedforlife.org.

If you still want a SUV, my sister has a 2014 Acura MDX AWD with Tech package and likes it overall. The controls can be confusing though, many physical buttons are gone and many things are controlled through the touchscreen. For example, to turn on the heated seat, you have to go through the touchscreen. (There are actually two screens, one in the middle of the dash for controlling functions like HVAC and stereo, and another at eye level for navigation map.) Hesr is a 6 speed automatic, the 2016 model now has Honda's 9 speed transmission which has gotten some mixed reviews. It gets slightly better fuel economy but some has noted the transmission seems "busy" and shifts too frequently and you shift using Honda/Acura's weird new button interface instead of the usual transmission lever.

The new 2016 Pilot is mechanically similar in many ways to the MDX and probably roomier and less expensive. You can still get it in the 6 speed in the lower trim models. It must be popular because it was only released within the last few months and I am seeing them on the road all over town.

billjohnson

Post by billjohnson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Toons wrote:Get a Crv-EXL or touring model and have about 15-18k left to "invest" :D :D

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14- ... -idle.html

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:14 pm

billjohnson wrote:
Toons wrote:Get a Crv-EXL or touring model and have about 15-18k left to "invest" :D :D

Thanks
Been there done that.
Own a 2015 CRV-EXL purchased Nov.2014 ,flawless.
My brother inquired about the same issue with me recently when considering a CRV.
He wound up with a Crv over the Rav.
Flawless he said. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Toons wrote:
billjohnson wrote:

Thanks
Been there done that.
Own a 2015 CRV-EXL purchased Nov.2014 ,flawless.
My brother inquired about the same issue with me recently when considering a CRV.
He wound up with a Crv over the Rav.
Flawless he said. :happy

Thanks.
I do not think the CRV has a 3rd row seat, but I need to check on that.

henry wrote:Any reason why you don't just want another Honda Odyssey? If you are going to use to third row a lot and don't need AWD, a minivan is less expensive, and gets better MPG. It is very safe, rates in the safest 1% on informedforlife.org.

If you still want a SUV, my sister has a 2014 Acura MDX AWD with Tech package and likes it overall. The controls can be confusing though, many physical buttons are gone and many things are controlled through the touchscreen. For example, to turn on the heated seat, you have to go through the touchscreen. (There are actually two screens, one in the middle of the dash for controlling functions like HVAC and stereo, and another at eye level for navigation map.) Hesr is a 6 speed automatic, the 2016 model now has Honda's 9 speed transmission which has gotten some mixed reviews. It gets slightly better fuel economy but some has noted the transmission seems "busy" and shifts too frequently and you shift using Honda/Acura's weird new button interface instead of the usual transmission lever.

The new 2016 Pilot is mechanically similar in many ways to the MDX and probably roomier and less expensive. You can still get it in the 6 speed in the lower trim models. It must be popular because it was only released within the last few months and I am seeing them on the road all over town.

Yes, I love my Odyssey but my DW wants a SUV!!!!

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:35 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
inbox788 wrote:
randomguy wrote:50k gets you nice 3 year old used Cayenne in my hood. But whenever you start talking about porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, and to some extent even lexus make sure you know what you are in for maintence/repair wise

Funny you should mention Porsche. I just saw this earlier today:
Who's got the best CPO in town? Porsche, it turns out:

"Porsche's certified pre-owned program is easily the best in the industry...Like many luxury-car certified pre-owned programs, it offers six years or 100,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage for any vehicle that's still under factory warranty. But if a used car's factory warranty is expired, Porsche will also offer an additional two years or 50,000 miles of coverage — something no other automaker does. They also offer a long list of perks that make a CPO vehicle very compelling."
Now here is where things get really interesting. Porsche will certify cars all the way back to 2007.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/these-are ... 1691935821

You'll likely pay more for the Porsche CPO warranty vs private party, but you won't have worries about repairs for a while. Still, you'll likely be facing $100+ oil changes and $1000+ for each tire, not to mention regular service intervals.

Volvo offers SEVEN year/100k mile warranty for CPO.

A very recent Volvo XC90 SUV with 3 rows of seats, loaded, will be considerably less than $50k.

The new, improved 2016 will be difficult to drive away with for much under $55k.

"But wait! There's a wait." (A rather long wait, unfortunately.)

RM

I need to check out the Volvo!!
Thanks

Browser wrote:The more I've shopped SUVs in the same price range, the more I'm coming to believe this is true:
Let’s be clearheaded: As much as car companies would like you to believe the products and brands are all different and special, they are, functionally, mostly not, at least insofar as most consumers would exercise them. The truth is, vast forces are at work making cars of the same function and same price virtually the same car.

The point is, once you see through the matrix, mass-market cars are revealed as commodities, sourced from one or another without a big difference in intrinsic value and function.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kia-sorento-the-suv-for-the-dispassionate-investor-2015-09-05

You always hear the same stuff from others: "I love my Subrat", "Get a Jemflam", "The Fralbot beats everything else on the road". These days, I'm coming around the the point of view that if you want 6-cylinders, 3-row seating - whatever your recipe is - it probably doesn't make a whit of difference if you own a Subrat, Jemflam, Fralbot, Volvo, Honda, Toyota, etc, etc in that configuration. They're all basically the same commodity. Keep looking long enough and you'll see what I'm beginning to see...

I agree with you. But appearances and comfort has some value to it and DW has more of a say about that than me. I would love buy a used van/SUV for 25 to 30G and invest the rest.
BTW - I think she would be happy with another Odyssey but.....................!

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Volvo has a "European" ride. Tends more toward better handling and cornering but rather harsh on bumpy roads. When I test drove the 2016 XC-60 I lost a kidney on the pretty rough street that I use to give vehicles the acid test. Drove a 2015.5 last summer and was hoping the 2016 had an improved ride but it's basically the same. So it depends on the road surfaces where you drive the most. Really liked the car otherwise (except for the dinky nav screen), but can't get past the idea of shelling out $45K + for that ride. Seems likely a new XC-60 will be out next Spring that will be a different vehicle from the current one with a body style that's several years old. If I can hold out until then, I'll be sure to look at that one.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

edge

Post by edge » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:04 pm

I find my wife's Macan turbo fun to drive. In any case if you want straight line or highway passing performance the non-vanilla cayenne is pretty nice.

Based on what you shared the qx60 is basically what you want - a stylish minivan-like vehicle with 3 rows. Mdx also works. Has a slightly less comfortable ride.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Browser wrote:Volvo has a "European" ride. Tends more toward better handling and cornering but rather harsh on bumpy roads. When I test drove the 2016 XC-60 I lost a kidney on the pretty rough street that I use to give vehicles the acid test. Drove a 2015.5 last summer and was hoping the 2016 had an improved ride but it's basically the same. So it depends on the road surfaces where you drive the most. Really liked the car otherwise (except for the dinky nav screen), but can't get past the idea of shelling out $45K + for that ride. Seems likely a new XC-60 will be out next Spring that will be a different vehicle from the current one with a body style that's several years old. If I can hold out until then, I'll be sure to look at that one.

The XC60 is definitely a "sporty" car. Nice, zippy, and a bit tight/harsh in terms of suspension. Planned that way.

The regular XC90 (pre-2016) isn't like that, although the R-series does have a stiffer chassis/suspension.
Some previous models had the R-series with sporty chassis/suspension and also a more sporty engine, too.
The new 2016 XC90 has an option with air suspension. Nothing dramatic, not like an old Lincoln Towncar boat that swishes around...

We would have considered the XC60 except for that harsher ride.
Aging bones vetoed that on the test drive recently, but it sure was fun to drive :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:00 am

Yeh, I really liked the XC60 except for that ride. If I were younger it wouldn't have factored in. From what I can tell, the 2017 XC60 will be even sportier, moving toward Audi and BMW, so the ride probably won't be much different. I'll bet it will be a pretty nice vehicle though.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:10 am

Jeez, I'm 64 and the ride seems fine, even on NJ's pot holes. But, that's what makes horse races.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:51 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:Jeez, I'm 64 and the ride seems fine, even on NJ's pot holes. But, that's what makes horse races.

What? You are still young!

Give it a few years...

We hit one *really* parent-of-all-nasty-potholes, and I seriously thought I fractured my spine, right there and then.
But we aren't sure if any car could have absorbed it much better, other than the old Towncar floating boat ride - and who knows about that either.
The fact that a tire didn't explode and/or an axle break or whatever is still surprising. (A couple of days later, it was filled in, and although the same spot keeps sinking, the town now seems to be keeping up and patching/refilling regularly. It seems to be something other than "just a pothole" underneath. It's around a turn, and we now remember exactly where it is, and drive to avoid it before we can see it. Will we drive into a true sinkhole soon? Hmmmm.)
That was when we first decided, maybe it's time for a new car - and/or an inflatable seat cushion.

We also have a specific "bumpy, ill-repaired road" (different section of same road), and unfortunately, no new car really handles it all that much better. Or not any of those we are considering. But some handled it much worse.

Still, that XC60 *was* fun to drive!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm afraid the XC-60 failed my crummy test road evaluation. When I feel like I'm doing a bad imitation of a bobble-head while driving that's the tip-off. But what really did it was when I took a quick left into the dealer lot and there was a little ledge I had to go up and over that was about an inch high or so. The front wheels hit with such a shock it rattled my kidneys. I just know I'd be regretting the purchase every time I hit a bump. :oops:

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:59 pm

We enjoyed the ride in the 2013 XC60 so much that we bought a 2015.5 XC60 to join it in the driveway. And, since we'd decided to go over to the kidney-rattling side, when older son needed a car, he got a used S60.

I'm honestly surprised that you found the ride harsh. Kidney-rattling from a one inch ledge? We have cobble stones in our driveway that probably differ in height by that much and I've never felt them.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:07 am

Well, it could have been 2 or 3 inches high. I had the same suspension problem with a Honda Accord coupe that I owned a few years ago. Really liked the car but just couldn't stand the hard ride over rough or uneven pavement. Finally traded the thing off because of that way sooner then I usually like to get a new car. I guess it's just an engineering impossibility to design a car suspension that provides a good solid ride and handling but also is able to cushion bumps and rough pavement. The problem these days is that roads keep getting worse and worse, so it puts in on us to have a vehicle that can compensate for our lousy roads.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:32 am

I don't think it's an engineering impossibility; it does seem to be improved with an active suspension (and thus $$$). My wife's Range Rover seems to have hit the sweet spot, but costs a ton to buy and burns gasoline like there's no tomorrow (don't get me started). From what I've been told, my long-awaited Tesla with active suspension and well-placed center of gravity will also handle bumps with ease.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:22 am

Hi,
Update.

Current van is still running good but need to buy a new vehicle in the next few months.
Does anyone have any newer suggestions?
Our needs are essentially unchanged;

SUV
3rd row seats
leather interior - easier kid cleanup
good gas mileage, both city and highway
Reliability - documented for both brand and model
No DVD system
Tow package / ability to add tow package

Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander are the top of my list, though we are leaning towards the Pilot.... however....
Questions:
Honda Pilot - reviews of its screen/monitor based controls are poor. Also the 9 gears in Touring and Elite have mixed/negative reviews.
So EX- L with Honda Sensing may be better than the Touring or Elite???

Anyone has bought the 2016 Honda Pilot or know about it?
Thanks!!

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 am

After recently going through a car search, my advice is to look at the mfg websites (configure options and price), buy consumer reports and when you've narrowed the choices, read the forums for those vehicles and finally test drive and choose.

This thread is largely useless with many vehicles not hitting the mark of your basic request. Additionally, there is no real information to help reduce the field since the responses are so diverse.

The post above about vehicles being commodities is partially true which means you have to try out a ton.

Another recommendation I have is to go to an auto show if you live near a major city. Wear comfortable shoes, eat a good meal before you go and bring hand sanitizer. It is a great way to look at and sit in many vehicles and can help narrow your choices without going to 10 different dealers.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 am

Browser wrote:The more I've shopped SUVs in the same price range, the more I'm coming to believe this is true:
Let’s be clearheaded: As much as car companies would like you to believe the products and brands are all different and special, they are, functionally, mostly not, at least insofar as most consumers would exercise them. The truth is, vast forces are at work making cars of the same function and same price virtually the same car.

The point is, once you see through the matrix, mass-market cars are revealed as commodities, sourced from one or another without a big difference in intrinsic value and function.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kia-sorento-the-suv-for-the-dispassionate-investor-2015-09-05

You always hear the same stuff from others: "I love my Subrat", "Get a Jemflam", "The Fralbot beats everything else on the road". These days, I'm coming around the the point of view that if you want 6-cylinders, 3-row seating - whatever your recipe is - it probably doesn't make a whit of difference if you own a Subrat, Jemflam, Fralbot, Volvo, Honda, Toyota, etc, etc in that configuration. They're all basically the same commodity. Keep looking long enough and you'll see what I'm beginning to see...

That is exactly right. Every thread like this will end up being a list of every possible choice and each choice is liked by at least someone.

But my question would be that if three rows to accommodate two adults and three children is the requirement what is wrong with those Odyssey vans you already have? I doubt there is any SUV better suited than that already is. I could see someone wanting a recreational vehicle for actual off road use or something like that but only a tiny sub-market of SUVs actually accomplish that purpose and it isn't in your list. Is the towing the problem? I am not too familiar with the capabilities there.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 am

With $50,000 you can buy FOUR of these:

Nissan Versa
MSRP: From $11,990
MPG: Up to 31 city / 40 highway

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:42 pm

ERguy101 wrote:Jeep Grand Cherokee. All the tech, beautiful interior, great ride.

+1

Highest rated SUV, tremendous luxury and safety features for the price. Overland model would fit the budget.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:10 pm

dbr wrote:

That is exactly right. Every thread like this will end up being a list of every possible choice and each choice is liked by at least someone.

But my question would be that if three rows to accommodate two adults and three children is the requirement what is wrong with those Odyssey vans you already have? I doubt there is any SUV better suited than that already is. I could see someone wanting a recreational vehicle for actual off road use or something like that but only a tiny sub-market of SUVs actually accomplish that purpose and it isn't in your list. Is the towing the problem? I am not too familiar with the capabilities there.

Thanks for the reply!

I love the Odyssey van and would get a new one, but DW does not want the van - likely the image issue but....... DW wants an SUV.
No, we are not going off road.
Towing will be minimal/none, bike hauling is most likely.

ImaBeginner

Post by ImaBeginner » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:06 pm

I have the Pilot Elite.

It is nice. Split second row, so easy access to third row between the seats. Lots of nice features. Absolutely no issues with the 9 speed as of yet, but only 2k miles on it. Honda reliability is great historically, and I doubt this car will be different.

The entertainment system and nav is clunky and annoying to me, but functional enough. It is not like it is exactly hard to get the basic music or whatever on the screen, but it could be laid out far better.

Basically it is a minivan with better control in the snow, and regular back doors, which is pretty much what we desired.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:34 pm

ImaBeginner wrote:I have the Pilot Elite.

It is nice. Split second row, so easy access to third row between the seats. Lots of nice features. Absolutely no issues with the 9 speed as of yet, but only 2k miles on it. Honda reliability is great historically, and I doubt this car will be different.

The entertainment system and nav is clunky and annoying to me, but functional enough. It is not like it is exactly hard to get the basic music or whatever on the screen, but it could be laid out far better.

Basically it is a minivan with better control in the snow, and regular back doors, which is pretty much what we desired.

Thanks.
That's good news for me after reading many poor reviews!
What made you go for the Elite versus the touring?

ImaBeginner

Post by ImaBeginner » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Split second row was only reason.

jersey789girl

Post by jersey789girl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Bought a 2015 Highlander in December of last year for about 42K. At the time, rated most reliable by Consumer Reports. Gas mileage is the only downside, about 23 mph. It handles well in the snow. Nominally seats 7 but last row is very small, really just to be used occasionally. I love the way it drives, responsive and comfortable. We typically pay cash and keep our cars for 10 years, so have made a long term commitment. The Highlander replaced a 2005 Honda Odyssey which has 170K miles and is still going strong. I still use it locally for hauling stuff and people.

nura

Post by nura » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 am

For around $45k you could buy a 13-14 GL350 with third row seating for two adults while getting 20mpg, leave aside balance $5k for any repairs.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am

nura wrote:For around $45k you could buy a 13-14 GL350 with third row seating for two adults while getting 20mpg, leave aside balance $5k for any repairs.

Or you could get a 2012 for 35k, leaving 15k for repairs
https://www.carmax.com/car/14011393

queso

Post by queso » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 am

sunny_socal wrote:
nura wrote:For around $45k you could buy a 13-14 GL350 with third row seating for two adults while getting 20mpg, leave aside balance $5k for any repairs.

Or you could get a 2012 for 35k, leaving 15k for repairs
https://www.carmax.com/car/14011393

That's a more credible number for a Mercedes. 5k doesn't fix much.  We could suggest a used Cayenne GTS too, but this is the BH forum so I am assuming the OP is looking for a reliable reasonably priced vehicle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:19 pm

We have a 2016 (purchased Nov.2015) Audi Q5 3.0T , 6 cylinder , love it , no 3rd row but OP didn't mention that in the initial post , it's in that 50K range depending on options .

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 pm

ubermax wrote:We have a 2016 (purchased Nov.2015) Audi Q5 3.0T , 6 cylinder , love it , no 3rd row but OP didn't mention that in the initial post , it's in that 50K range depending on options .

It was in a reply...
Mrxyz wrote:1. Yes, need a 3rd row and yes, we have 3 kids.
2. Daily driving, no off road
3. Safety is very important
4. Definitely need long term reliability - we keep cars/vans for 10- 13 years.
5. Needs to fit a standard 2 car garage. Our 2 car garage currently can hold our 2 Odyssey vans without much difficulty. But anything larger would be tough to fit especially in increasing width.
6. Not opposed to used SUV but would prefer new.
7. Will like stability control but AWD is not essential.
8. Need leather interior and good - easy to use - control panel.
9. DVD not needed.

Pretty much limits you to these (minus the giants) and the Minivans (50k is unlikely to get you very far into luxury territory):

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... th-3-Rows/

Someone mentioned the Sorento, and that's one to consider

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm

All new Mazda CX-9?????

Very comparable to the Pilot/Highlander which nearly everyone seems to be considering and it handles much better.

You won't see yourself coming and going everywhere as well.

Law.74

Post by Law.74 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Lexus GX (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado outside US) -or-
Lightly used Lexus LX or Toyota Land Cruiser.

Either will last forever and can be had at the $50K price point. This is our plan in a few years when she decides she's no longer a Sienna girl (and she loves her Sienna).

YMMV
"Don’t let the miracle of long-term compounding of return be overwhelmed by the tyranny of the long-term compounding of costs” -John C Bogle

abonder

Post by abonder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 pm

I realize that this is an old thread so I'm unsure if OP is following. Is another minivan being considered? The OP indicated that they currently have two Odysseys. I know there is widespread anti-minivan sentiment, but they really trump all other options in terms of utility and day-to-day ease of use. I always find it odd that people pay a huge premium for an SUV which has less utility, worse fuel economy, less comfortable ride, and on and on. With the rare exception of those who truly need off-road capacity or towing ability or serious 4 wheel drive, most people would be much better served by a minivan. Im not sure what is so cool about an SUV. I appreciate my parents outlook and complete disregard for trying to appear cool in any domain. Which I think is the coolest outlook ever.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 am

"Tow package / ability to add tow package"

You added this requirement in a later post.
How much weight will be towed for how many miles and how often will it happen?

This requirement may greatly affect the field of choices that are suitable.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:05 am

Mrxyz, So...did you ever buy a new vehicle? Just wondering how it ended. Thanks!

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:09 am

ubermax wrote:We have a 2016 (purchased Nov.2015) Audi Q5 3.0T , 6 cylinder , love it , no 3rd row but OP didn't mention that in the initial post , it's in that 50K range depending on options .

Also fails the long term reliability checklist the OP posted. I've owned 2 Audis and wouldn't even try to keep one for 10-15 years.

JCrack

Post by JCrack » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Jd1006 wrote:We drove most of the 3-row options...

Volvo XC90 was the best....had everything...fuel efficiency, safety, comfort, useful tech

Pilot had a lot f features, bland drive, not very future looking tech options. 9,speed tranny scares me

Highlander Hybrid was appealing, but infotainment wasn't good, have heard/read the awd isn't great in snow

Mdx seemed marginally better than the pilot, not worth the price

Chevy/gmc/Buick get poor gas mileage...a little too big

Ford Explorer seemed like they threw a lot of great options into a vehicle, but the infotainment is sooooo bad.

I like the new body style of the Explorer as well. Kind of has a Range Rover look.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 pm

JCrack wrote:

Volvo XC90 was the best....had everything...fuel efficiency, safety, comfort, useful tech

Pilot had a lot f features, bland drive, not very future looking tech options. 9,speed tranny scares me

Highlander Hybrid was appealing, but infotainment wasn't good, have heard/read the awd isn't great in snow

Ford Explorer seemed like they threw a lot of great options into a vehicle, but the infotainment is sooooo bad.

I like the new body style of the Explorer as well. Kind of has a Range Rover look.

+1000. If it was a Honda or Toyota I would have already bought one. The Ford thing definitely gives me pause though.

JCrack

Post by JCrack » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:35 pm

queso wrote:
JCrack wrote:

+1000. If it was a Honda or Toyota I would have already bought one. The Ford thing definitely gives me pause though.

My thoughts exactly. Although I haven't read the same type of horror stories when it comes to Ford. Perhaps it gets minimized when compared to everything you read about the European luxury brands.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:24 am

fundseeker wrote:Mrxyz, So...did you ever buy a new vehicle? Just wondering how it ended. Thanks!

LOL!
So I have waited for the 2017 Honda Pilot and now hagglint with dealers about how much to pay!
EX L AWD with honda sensing has dealer invoice of $35,880 (dealer invoice [is not MSRP] is the lowest a customer can get provided there is no manufacturer to dealer discounts which a customer is typically not informed about) and lowest/best offer till now is $38,000.
Touring AWD has dealer invoice of $39,800 and lowest offer is $40,800.

So, the question is how long to wait for and to see if the price goest lower and closer to the dealer invoice............ Or just pull the trigger and pay the price!

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:07 pm

southbay wrote:I have owned a couple 4Runners. Great vehicle if you plan to actually go off road. The limited edition has lots of luxuries.

+ 1 for the 4runner. I see one in my future. California roads are like off-roading nowadays !!!
Buy Low, Sell High

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Mrxyz wrote:So I have waited for the 2017 Honda Pilot and now hagglint with dealers about how much to pay!
EX L AWD with honda sensing has dealer invoice of $35,880 (dealer invoice [is not MSRP] is the lowest a customer can get provided there is no manufacturer to dealer discounts which a customer is typically not informed about) and lowest/best offer till now is $38,000.

So, the question is how long to wait for and to see if the price goest lower and closer to the dealer invoice............ Or just pull the trigger and pay the price!

How many dealers? Try casting a wider net. Market price is probably around $1k above invoice, which is still high by Honda standards because it's a new design. By the 2nd and 3rd year, many Honda's sell for invoice or less. Honda would be happy to sell all their cars at invoice day in and day out because they pad the invoice with lots of profit -- rebates, incentives, kickbacks, etc. Anything above invoice is just gravy like all the additional fees.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-201 ... id-46.html

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:53 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Mrxyz wrote:So I have waited for the 2017 Honda Pilot and now hagglint with dealers about how much to pay!

How many dealers? Try casting a wider net. Market price is probably around $1k above invoice, which is still high by Honda standards because it's a new design. By the 2nd and 3rd year, many Honda's sell for invoice or less. Honda would be happy to sell all their cars at invoice day in and day out because they pad the invoice with lots of profit -- rebates, incentives, kickbacks, etc. Anything above invoice is just gravy like all the additional fees.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-201 ... id-46.html

I have contacted around 10 dealers. Most don't even want to discuss anything lower than $1500 off MSRP which ends up quite high. Out of town dealers in a smaller town were better. I guess some city dealers do get folks to pay up a higher price!
I am eyeing the Touring AWD as I have been quoted $1000 over dealer invoice.... and my 2005 honda odyssey just reached 200,000 miles and is slowly dying... and I need a new car or rather DW needs a new one.!
And thanks, yes, I am aware of and member of the piloteers also!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Highlander
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:43 am

I've got 27k miles on the 2016 XC90 and it has been a fantasti vehicle. Way ahead of its peers in infotainment, excellent in the snow, easy on gas (28mpg this past summer!). Find a used 2016 for a good price on a great SUV. I drove all the options mentioned in this thread and none compared to the Volvo

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 am

OP, are you really using the "get a bunch of internet quotes and pick the best one" method, or are you still walking into the dealership to "negotiate"? Maybe I'm wrong about the Pilot (is it a hot new vehicle or something?), but I bought an Accord last year and it was trivial to get a great price using the internet quote method. The key factor: never step foot in a dealership to talk price. You can of course pretend to buy one and do the test drive, but after that go home and get online.

Jd1006 wrote:I've got 27k miles on the 2016 XC90 and it has been a fantasti vehicle. Way ahead of its peers in infotainment, excellent in the snow, easy on gas (28mpg this past summer!). Find a used 2016 for a good price on a great SUV. I drove all the options mentioned in this thread and none compared to the Volvo

Yes, this is my dream 3-row SUV at the moment! :) Will hopefully order one through their OSD program at the end of this year, and hence it will be either a 2018 or 2019 model.

My survey of vehicles in the $50k range:
(Along with my current impression)
- Honda Pilot: Seems like excellent value and quality. My wife doesn't like the current "minivan" look, otherwise we'd get one.
- Toyota Highlander: Another excellent vehicle! I wouldn't mind getting one, wife hasn't warmed up to it.
- Audi Q7: Nice car but wife didn't like the infotainment system. Expensive.
- Mazda CX-9: Not much room in the back
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: Pretty nice vehicle for the money! Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat reliability occupies all the bottom slots on the chart though :( Little room in the back.
- Acura MDX: Meh. Doesn't anything beyond the Honda, unless you like the looks.
- Lexus RX350: Got hit with the ugly stick. Wouldn't be caught dead in one of these. Little room in the back.
- VW Atlas: Poor man's Q7? Not available yet but seems great in every way.
- Volvo XC90: Fantastic value, you get a lot of features for the $$. Luxury car for the price of a Honda/Toyota. Initial adopters got hit with some bugs but Volvo is working through them. Roomy, looks great.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm

sunny_socal wrote:- Lexus RX350: Got hit with the ugly stick. Wouldn't be caught dead in one of these. Little room in the back.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look. It does tend to be more polarizing, vs. bland/boring/blase. (Mediocrity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsfd_h4G1js )
All are terrific cars depending on your priorities.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-review ... pril-2016/

The RX350 is only 2 rows and I though the back row had plenty of room. Does the XC90 2nd row have more? The 3rd row is decent for a smaller SUV (i.e. not Suburban), but I wouldn't want to sit there on a road trip. (I've been looking for an SUV smaller than a Suburban and not a minivan where adults passengers are happy to sit there for a longer road trip, but I have yet to find one.)

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons ... Id=2309081

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:45 pm

bubbadog wrote:Lets face it, nearly all SUVs are really just AWD/FWD minivans.

I wouldn't say that. It's all about image. With SUVs, you don't suffer the shame and embarrassment of being seen in a minivan. Even soccer moms have pretty much switched from minivans to SUVs.

"...in recent years, SUVs and large sedans have become very popular among soccer moms and are now their preferred choice."
Source: http://gearheads.org/what-most-soccer-moms-drive/

countdrak

Post by countdrak » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Check out the Infiniti QX60 - Fully loaded 2017 will be <$50K. Amazing space, love the features.