New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mrxyz

New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Post by Mrxyz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 am

Hi,

I have $50G to spend on a new SUV. What recommendations you may have? Pilot/Highlander/Others. I am looking at the 2016 model, and am in no rush to buy - can wait for 6 months to buy something.
Thanks

me2164

Re: New SUV, $50G, Pilot/Highlander/Other

Post by me2164 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 am

we just did a lot of research.
pilot is redesigned this year, i hear the 3rd row or middle seat in second row is now electronically controlled.
as far as SUV, it depends on your needs--such as 3rd row, general size etc.
the infiniti qx60 is similarly priced and drivers very nice.
enclave has a lot of bang for your buck in terms of features, but not as good a drive and engine
just saw the gmc yukon denali which is really nice looking, but havent driven it yet.
highlander drives real nice, worth test driving.

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:24 am

We drove most of the 3-row options...

Volvo XC90 was the best....had everything...fuel efficiency, safety, comfort, useful tech

Pilot had a lot f features, bland drive, not very future looking tech options. 9,speed tranny scares me

Highlander Hybrid was appealing, but infotainment wasn't good, have heard/read the awd isn't great in snow

Mdx seemed marginally better than the pilot, not worth the price

Chevy/gmc/Buick get poor gas mileage...a little too big

Ford Explorer seemed like they threw a lot of great options into a vehicle, but the infotainment is sooooo bad.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:36 am

$50k for a Pilot or Highlander? I'd be looking at an MDX if I had that much to spend on an SUV. I'd rather have an MDX without every single bell and whistle it offers, rather than a loaded one of the those others. However, the MDX is one of the more costly vehicles over several years.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:54 am

I own a 2012 Volvo XC60 purchased new, platinum edition. It is the 3.0 liter turbo AWD model. 30k miles now. Seats 5.

Absolutely outstanding in the snow and wet (Michelin HP Tour all season tires). Decent gas mileage, around 20 mpg suburban and 25 mpg highway. Very powerful for freeway merges. Extremely comfortable seats, at least for our body size. High quality materials used inside and out. Easy to use Nav and audio systems. Great AC and heating systems. Very versatile for hauling groceries, stuff from the home improvement center, etc. My wife likes the flat almost waist high load area much more than a deep trunk in a sedan. So far, I have had no issues with the car - uterly reliable. Tires wear evenly and look like they will go at least 60k miles. Came with a 5 year or 50k mile "safe and secure" package which means no maintenance cost for that period of time other than tires and battery if I remember correctly. I have oil/filter changes and a complete inspection every 7500 miles (I do pay an additional $30 or so for full synthetic), wiper blades changed every 6 months, etc. at no charge. Our dealer is honest with an outstanding service department (have taken our Volvos there for 20 years) and that is one of the main reasons I bought a third Volvo vs. something else. I've never been disapointed with their service. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head :happy . Good luck.

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:47 am

Bought a brand new Pilot a few months ago and love it. Paid around $34,000 out the door.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:05 am

Fletch wrote:I own a 2012 Volvo XC60 purchased new, platinum edition. It is the 3.0 liter turbo AWD model. 30k miles now. Seats 5.

Absolutely outstanding in the snow and wet (Michelin HP Tour all season tires). Decent gas mileage, around 20 mpg suburban and 25 mpg highway. Very powerful for freeway merges. Extremely comfortable seats, at least for our body size. High quality materials used inside and out. Easy to use Nav and audio systems. Great AC and heating systems. Very versatile for hauling groceries, stuff from the home improvement center, etc. My wife likes the flat almost waist high load area much more than a deep trunk in a sedan. So far, I have had no issues with the car - uterly reliable. Tires wear evenly and look like they will go at least 60k miles. Came with a 5 year or 50k mile "safe and secure" package which means no maintenance cost for that period of time other than tires and battery if I remember correctly. I have oil/filter changes and a complete inspection every 7500 miles (I do pay an additional $30 or so for full synthetic), wiper blades changed every 6 months, etc. at no charge. Our dealer is honest with an outstanding service department (have taken our Volvos there for 20 years) and that is one of the main reasons I bought a third Volvo vs. something else. I've never been disapointed with their service. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head :happy . Good luck.

... Fletch

Second the Volvo. Drove the 2016 XC60 again yesterday. Quality vehicle. Can buy now with 4-cyl turbo engine which gets 32 mpg on the highway. It's a 5-seater, no third row. Only concern was the very firm ride on bad pavement, though it was smooth and quiet on normal pavement and the freeway. Drove the Highlander and hated the display screen. With my polarized sunglasses on I couldn't see it very well. Volvo was fine but could stand to be a bit larger for me -- it's 7 inch I believe.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

billydelp4

Post by billydelp4 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 am

Wife and I just got the new Pilot. I am unimpressed thus far. The infotainment center seems like an afterthought and is poorly laid out. The iphone won't play anything through USB other than music that is in the music app. (i.e. I can't play spotify unless using bluetooth). I didn't opt for navigation either since HondaLink provides an app that you should be able to download and push to the 8" screen but for some reason it isn't available for the Pilot.

It may just be mine, but the AC noise seems exceptionally loud. Even when the fan speed is on the lowest setting.

I would have taken it back in the 3 day grace period had the wife not been so enthused about it.

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:47 am

Jeep Grand Cherokee. All the tech, beautiful interior, great ride.

southbay

Post by southbay » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 am

I have owned a couple 4Runners. Great vehicle if you plan to actually go off road. The limited edition has lots of luxuries.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:08 am

From what I read the new Volvo XC90 is tops. But you'll pay more than $50K for one, no discounts, and you'll be on a waiting list to get one.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:24 am

Out here in my part of flyover country, there's nary a Volvo dealer. You're on your own if you buy one.

Who can say which SUV will meet your needs. But like others mentioned, a well equipped Pilot will leave you with a good chunk of your cash intact. I have to say that my Pilot, now pushing to 13 years old, is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had, bar none. Still runs and feels like new, and has had no issues in those years. On the other hand, the entertainment & nav system is never a major issue for me.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:39 am

What about the new Lexus NX? I think it's in the $35,000 to $40,000 range.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:50 am

AZAttorney11 wrote:What about the new Lexus NX? I think it's in the $35,000 to $40,000 range.

This is a compact-ute. The OP is asking about large SUVs.

mx711yam

Post by mx711yam » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I just drove one of the new Tahoes for a week as a rental vehicle. It was incredible and we are going to have to upgrade from the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee to one. The size of the interior is just phenomenal. However you are going to spend more than 50,000 for one with leather.

I'm planning on waiting a year or two and getting a slightly used one for 50.

java

Post by java » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Kia Sorento 2016
Just bought a top of the range SXL with Turbo.
It stickers at $45 but you can get one for $38.

I would propose that you drive one before you dismiss Kia. We looked at the MDX, Pilot, X5 and Touareg.
The Kia has more equipment, much quieter and a better ride than all 4 of the choices I looked at.
I am certain that maintenance cost will be lower than the X5 and Touareg.
Check it out..I did on a whim and after researching bought one. Had for a month and love it.
Loaded with technology.

Postmon

Post by Postmon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:35 pm

CPO Mercedes or Lexus. Vehicles are like new and you likely get a warranty as good as or better than the new ones you're considering. Plus someone else already took the hit on new car depreciation. :beer

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:36 pm

I like Toyotas a lot.

4Runner is a decent choice.

Also consider GX 460 Lexus. Might be just slightly above your price target, but a great vehicle, body on frame, highway mileage of about 22 or so (measured by me on my 2010 on multiple trips) and great full time 4wd. Its a junior land cruiser and sold extensively internationally as the Prado. Much more rugged mechanically than the unibody versions of SUVs.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:53 pm

I got the Pathfinder in Oct. It was the most economical 7-seater in the market at the time. Surprisingly quiet cabin and sufficient engine. I wish I got the AWD but would probably suffer another 2MPG. I rarely go on the freeways so that's another thing. Main gripe is that it cannot stream music via bluetooth. Even my 2012 Legacy is able to do that. I did end up buying a USB bluetooth dongle which enables it but I won't be able to pick up a phone call.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am

Lexus RX350 is the leader in the "midsize" SUV category. Now might be a good time to consider one. The 2015 model, without any 3rd row seat option (still in great supply and selling briskly) is being phased out in favor of a slightly larger 2016 model (based on Highlander) with a third row seat. For $50 grand, you can get a well equipped 2015. If you want the 3rd row, you might want to wait and see what the 2016 is like. In the beginning, however, they'll probably command top dollar.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:36 am

I have to agree with the Volvo votes. We bought a 2013 XC60 and a 2015.5 XC60. The newer one is slightly better, but they are both fine vehicles.

If I weren't chomping at the bit for my long-awaited Tesla SUV like the world's oldest teenager, I'd be putting my name on the XC90 waiting list; it's a game changer in its category.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:37 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:I have to agree with the Volvo votes. We bought a 2013 XC60 and a 2015.5 XC60. The newer one is slightly better, but they are both fine vehicles.

If I weren't chomping at the bit for my long-awaited Tesla SUV like the world's oldest teenager, I'd be putting my name on the XC90 waiting list; it's a game changer in its category.

Where does VOLVO fall on the JD Powers and Consumer Reports quality ratings?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:41 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:I have to agree with the Volvo votes. We bought a 2013 XC60 and a 2015.5 XC60. The newer one is slightly better, but they are both fine vehicles.

Where does VOLVO fall on the JD Powers and Consumer Reports quality ratings?

Don't know. We own 3 of them, and have been happy. Good enough for me.

Fwiw, we've also been happy with Range Rovers, which have a crappy reputation.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am

BMW X3, X5
Audi Q5, Q7
Mercedes ML 350
Lexus RX 350
porsche cayenne

NFO12

Post by NFO12 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 am

Recently got a 2015 Durango Citadel with second row captains chairs and the extra safety package. Very luxurious interior, good towing, strong exterior look. Big fan.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Mrxyz wrote:Hi,

I have $50G to spend on a new SUV. What recommendations you may have? Pilot/Highlander/Others. I am looking at the 2016 model, and am in no rush to buy - can wait for 6 months to buy something.
Thanks

This is literally like every other thread on "which car should I buy" on bogleheads. I think you need to be very specific, and even then folks here will give you as many answers as there are, SUVs. For instance, off the top of my head:

1. Is a third row must have or not.
2. What do you care most about, in a car. Is it more a means to getting you someplace, or something that speaks to you, and that you have to actually enjoy on a daily basis while driving.
3. Safety concerns. How "old" in terms of safety features you would like to go if everything else is equal.
4. Do you care about long term reliability. Do you care more or less about reliability than say driving pleasure you get from your vehicles.

The question is too generic. You are not going to get any meaningful answers as you have cast a very big net. Even with all the answers to above questions, you will still get a lot of recommendations. You NEED to be extremely specific in terms of "must have" and "nice to have" features/things you care about in car, if you hope to get this question answered in meaningful way.

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:01 pm

I think your original choice of Pilot/Highlander is a good one for the most reliable and highest resale value. Leaning towards the Pilot for the 2016 redesign or save big if you can find a 2015.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:03 pm

A family member works at a Honda dealership and has been raving about the redesigned Pilot. Unfortunately you can't get much of a discount yet since they are new and very popular.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:

Thanks

This is literally like every other thread on "which car should I buy" on bogleheads. I think you need to be very specific, and even then folks here will give you as many answers as there are, SUVs. For instance, off the top of my head:

2. What do you care most about, in a car. Is it more a means to getting you someplace, or something that speaks to you, and that you have to actually enjoy on a daily basis while driving.
3. Safety concerns. How "old" in terms of safety features you would like to go if everything else is equal.
4. Do you care about long term reliability. Do you care more or less about reliability than say driving pleasure you get from your vehicles.

The question is too generic. You are not going to get any meaningful answers as you have cast a very big net. Even with all the answers to above questions, you will still get a lot of recommendations. You NEED to be extremely specific in terms of "must have" and "nice to have" features/things you care about in car, if you hope to get this question answered in meaningful way.

Totally agree that you need to narrow down what's important to you before getting a wide cross section of recommendations based on very small sample size.

For example, my criteria for buying an SUV looked like this-
Needs:
4wd/AWD - needed to get to mountain cabin.
less than 193" long - so it can fit in the garage
3rd row seat
rear AC vents (must have according to my wife)
stability control (we were looking at used models, all new cars have it now)

Wants:
leather interior - easier kid cleanup
good gas mileage, both city and highway
Reliability - documented for both brand and model
No DVD system
Tow package / ability to add tow package

Based on those needs and wants we got a (used) highlander hybrid. To be honest, the car length requirement combined with the 3rd row seat requirement filtered out many of the possible choices.

babington

Post by babington » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:27 pm

I don't own an SUV, so I don't have any emotional feelings about this. But I am a little bit of nerd and read a lot of reliability reports, both from dealers/mechanics and self-reported. I think people focus spend too much time looking at reviews of new cars and making decisions based on test drives rather than the cold hard data, which can tell you a lot about the future (at least statistically).

My $0.02:

If reliability is a priority and you'd prefer not to deal with expensive fixes:

Land Cruiser is the best choice. I'm surprised it was only mentioned once so far. It's safe buying one with 250k miles on it, and no doubt a new one can last a lifetime. They are unbreakable.

Other Toyota SUVS are runner-up, especially the 4-Runner.

Not coincidentally, Lexus RX/GX are also solid and would be a pretty safe choice.

Stay away from Land Rovers. They're purely a status statement (roughly: "Money is so unimportant to me that I don't mind spending the MSRP three times over to fix stupid things before I resell this for 5% of its original value.")

babington

Post by babington » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Although to be fair, 50 Gs won't get you a Land Cruiser. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a slightly used one.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:04 am

Been looking at SUV's for a a couple years. I can't seem to find a compelling enough reason to fork over the extra dough. Half of them remind me of those old goofy station wagons, and the other half look more like minivans. IMO, those third rows are useless. How many times do you see an SUV on the road with more than two passengers.
Cargo space is minute in most mid-size SUV's unless all the seats are folded down. Most have no real towing capacity.

I looked hard at the Lexus RX but it's just to feminine.
The new Pilots and Highlanders have evolved into minivans. The 4Runner is too narrow and it's clumsy.

If I was going to pony up the money for an SUV my inclination would be to go for a real SUV like the Tahoe or Yukon.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 am

Bustoff wrote:Been looking at SUV's for a a couple years. I can't seem to find a compelling enough reason to fork over the extra dough. Half of them remind me of those old goofy station wagons, and the other half look more like minivans. IMO, those third rows are useless. How many times do you see an SUV on the road with more than two passengers.
Cargo space is minute in most mid-size SUV's unless all the seats are folded down. Most have no real towing capacity.

I looked hard at the Lexus RX but it's just to feminine.
The new Pilots and Highlanders have evolved into minivans. The 4Runner is too narrow and it's clumsy.

If I was going to pony up the money for an SUV my inclination would be to go for a real SUV like the Tahoe or Yukon.

Just curious - do you have kids? That 3rd row has come in handy for us many times.

Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 am

babington wrote:I don't own an SUV, so I don't have any emotional feelings about this. But I am a little bit of nerd and read a lot of reliability reports, both from dealers/mechanics and self-reported. I think people focus spend too much time looking at reviews of new cars and making decisions based on test drives rather than the cold hard data, which can tell you a lot about the future (at least statistically).

My $0.02:

If reliability is a priority and you'd prefer not to deal with expensive fixes:

Land Cruiser is the best choice. I'm surprised it was only mentioned once so far. It's safe buying one with 250k miles on it, and no doubt a new one can last a lifetime. They are unbreakable.

Other Toyota SUVS are runner-up, especially the 4-Runner.

Not coincidentally, Lexus RX/GX are also solid and would be a pretty safe choice.

Stay away from Land Rovers. They're purely a status statement (roughly: "Money is so unimportant to me that I don't mind spending the MSRP three times over to fix stupid things before I resell this for 5% of its original value.") Although to be fair, 50 Gs won't get you a Land Cruiser. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a slightly used one.

$50,000.00 won't get you a new Land Cruiser, but it will get you a new Toyota Sequoia. Same engine as a Land Cruiser, more room, and just as reliable. Test drive one and you won't be disappointed.

K.I.S.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:05 am

mx711yam wrote:I just drove one of the new Tahoes for a week as a rental vehicle. It was incredible and we are going to have to upgrade from the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee to one. The size of the interior is just phenomenal. However you are going to spend more than 50,000 for one with leather.

I've had a few 2015 Tahoes and Yukons as rentals so far this year. I really liked them except:
-Every one I've driven has had a hesitation or delay when you step on the gas pedal.
-They are $5,000-$10,000 overpriced for what they are. $70,000+ for LTZ trim is insane.
-GM generally hasn't running any cash incentives on them.

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Take them ALL for a test drive. I did and Highlander was better than even the Lexus 350. Just sayin

Good luck W

Browser

Post by Browser » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 pm

How come nobody ever mentions the Jeep Grand Cherokee? I see a bizillion of them on the road.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:12 am

Browser wrote:How come nobody ever mentions the Jeep Grand Cherokee? I see a bizillion of them on the road.

The Fiat connection. :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Chrysler_Automobiles
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:22 am

NFO12 wrote:Recently got a 2015 Durango Citadel with second row captains chairs and the extra safety package. Very luxurious interior, good towing, strong exterior look. Big fan.

I agree, this is a great blend of capability, practicality, and luxury. You can find a lightly used 2014 for $5-$10k cheaper. Consumer reports raved about it, they've had good reliability, and it drives like a nice passenger car.

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 am

letsgobobby wrote:
NFO12 wrote:Recently got a 2015 Durango Citadel with second row captains chairs and the extra safety package. Very luxurious interior, good towing, strong exterior look. Big fan.

I agree, this is a great blend of capability, practicality, and luxury. You can find a lightly used 2014 for $5-$10k cheaper. Consumer reports raved about it, they've had good reliability, and it drives like a nice passenger car.

What about the Fiat connection?

edge

Post by edge » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 pm

If you are looking to buy new, then 40-50k will buy you a somewhat loaded QX60 which is a fairly comfortable ride with 3 rows of seating. Probably similar story with the MDX.

It won't get you anywhere close to a Cayenne which was suggested somewhere in this thread (maybe as a joke?).

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:18 pm

edge wrote:If you are looking to buy new, then 40-50k will buy you a somewhat loaded QX60 which is a fairly comfortable ride with 3 rows of seating. Probably similar story with the MDX.

It won't get you anywhere close to a Cayenne which was suggested somewhere in this thread (maybe as a joke?).

qx60 is a minivan not a SUV. They just went with normal doors instead of sliding ones:)

50k gets you nice 3 year old used Cayenne in my hood. But whenever you start talking about porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, and to some extent even lexus make sure you know what you are in for maintence/repair wise

edge

Post by edge » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:35 pm

I guess maybe you could find a base Cayenne for that. However, I haven't seen a base Cayenne in the WDC area. All turbos, GTS, and S models.

Not exactly sure I see the point of a base Cayenne to begin with. Isn't it just a VW Touareg at that point?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:43 pm

edge wrote:I guess maybe you could find a base Cayenne for that. However, I haven't seen a base Cayenne in the WDC area. All turbos, GTS, and S models.

Not exactly sure I see the point of a base Cayenne to begin with. Isn't it just a VW Touareg at that point?

The point is "I drive a porsche". You can get a 4 year old S if you want. The bigger questions is what is the point of the GTS and Turbo? It isn't like you are going to track it and in normal driving all you are doing is upping your gas consumption. Of course I also don't understand who buys a S class amg either. It doesn't matter how big of engine you stick in there, it still will not be fun to drive.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Lets face it, nearly all SUVs are really just AWD/FWD minivans.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Not sure if it's the right size but the new 2016 MB GLC (replace the old GLK) looks more mature and grown up now; the base price is $40k.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:16 pm

randomguy wrote:50k gets you nice 3 year old used Cayenne in my hood. But whenever you start talking about porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, and to some extent even lexus make sure you know what you are in for maintence/repair wise

Funny you should mention Porsche. I just saw this earlier today:
Who's got the best CPO in town? Porsche, it turns out:

"Porsche's certified pre-owned program is easily the best in the industry...Like many luxury-car certified pre-owned programs, it offers six years or 100,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage for any vehicle that's still under factory warranty. But if a used car's factory warranty is expired, Porsche will also offer an additional two years or 50,000 miles of coverage — something no other automaker does. They also offer a long list of perks that make a CPO vehicle very compelling."
Now here is where things get really interesting. Porsche will certify cars all the way back to 2007.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/these-are ... 1691935821

You'll likely pay more for the Porsche CPO warranty vs private party, but you won't have worries about repairs for a while. Still, you'll likely be facing $100+ oil changes and $1000+ for each tire, not to mention regular service intervals.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations.

1. Yes, need a 3rd row and yes, we have 3 kids.
2. Daily driving, no off road
3. Safety is very important
4. Definitely need long term reliability - we keep cars/vans for 10- 13 years.
5. Needs to fit a standard 2 car garage. Our 2 car garage currently can hold our 2 Odyssey vans without much difficulty. But anything larger would be tough to fit especially in increasing width.
6. Not opposed to used SUV but would prefer new.
7. Will like stability control but AWD is not essential.
8. Need leather interior and good - easy to use - control panel.
9. DVD not needed.

Hope I did not miss anything.

Thanks so much!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:03 am

inbox788 wrote:
randomguy wrote:50k gets you nice 3 year old used Cayenne in my hood. But whenever you start talking about porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, and to some extent even lexus make sure you know what you are in for maintence/repair wise

Funny you should mention Porsche. I just saw this earlier today:
Who's got the best CPO in town? Porsche, it turns out:

"Porsche's certified pre-owned program is easily the best in the industry...Like many luxury-car certified pre-owned programs, it offers six years or 100,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage for any vehicle that's still under factory warranty. But if a used car's factory warranty is expired, Porsche will also offer an additional two years or 50,000 miles of coverage — something no other automaker does. They also offer a long list of perks that make a CPO vehicle very compelling."
Now here is where things get really interesting. Porsche will certify cars all the way back to 2007.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/these-are ... 1691935821

You'll likely pay more for the Porsche CPO warranty vs private party, but you won't have worries about repairs for a while. Still, you'll likely be facing $100+ oil changes and $1000+ for each tire, not to mention regular service intervals.

Volvo offers SEVEN year/100k mile warranty for CPO.

A very recent Volvo XC90 SUV with 3 rows of seats, loaded, will be considerably less than $50k.

The new, improved 2016 will be difficult to drive away with for much under $55k.

"But wait! There's a wait." (A rather long wait, unfortunately.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:21 am

The more I've shopped SUVs in the same price range, the more I'm coming to believe this is true:
Let’s be clearheaded: As much as car companies would like you to believe the products and brands are all different and special, they are, functionally, mostly not, at least insofar as most consumers would exercise them. The truth is, vast forces are at work making cars of the same function and same price virtually the same car.

The point is, once you see through the matrix, mass-market cars are revealed as commodities, sourced from one or another without a big difference in intrinsic value and function.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kia-sorento-the-suv-for-the-dispassionate-investor-2015-09-05

You always hear the same stuff from others: "I love my Subrat", "Get a Jemflam", "The Fralbot beats everything else on the road". These days, I'm coming around the the point of view that if you want 6-cylinders, 3-row seating - whatever your recipe is - it probably doesn't make a whit of difference if you own a Subrat, Jemflam, Fralbot, Volvo, Honda, Toyota, etc, etc in that configuration. They're all basically the same commodity. Keep looking long enough and you'll see what I'm beginning to see...