Watching NFL Games Via Webstream

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stargazer

Watching NFL Games Via Webstream

Post by stargazer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:33 pm

I have a basic cable-TV package: channels 2-21 (includes ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX; does not include ESPN; does not include the NFL Network). I have a fast home Internet connection with wifi, and AT&T wireless for cell phone service. I do not wish to upgrade my cable-TV package (I watch little TV other than the local/regional news channel), nor do I wish to subscribe to satellite TV.

The one area of programming that I greatly miss is the ability to watch NFL games, particularly those of the Philadelphia Eagles. I live nowhere near Philadelphia, so I receive very few of these games via network feed.

In searching the web, I have come across streaming services such as screenvariety.com, blockless.com, unblock-us.com, and others. These sites promise live access to all NFL games at a reasonable price.

Can anyone tell me whether these sites are legal and legit? Do they deliver what they promise? How do they circumvent restrictions imposed by the networks and the NFL? Should I be fearful about giving them credit card information? What other options can you recommend?

Go Eagles: On the way to Superbowl 50!

stargazer

Wileycoyotepdx

Re: Watching NFL Games Via Webstream

Post by Wileycoyotepdx » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm

If you have family/friends with DirectTV that already have the Sunday Ticket, ask them to upgrade to Super Fan. you can then stream from your PC live with their credentials. If you can wait until Monday you can buy the NFL rewind package and stream games that way,there is a great option that skips all commercials and in between play pauses, takes like 30 min to watch a game.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:22 pm

“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:29 pm

I've found that most web streaming websites require one to download a bunch of junk. I'm not willing to do that.
Gordon

mattymcmatt

Post by mattymcmatt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 pm

You probably want NFL Gamepass, no? http://www.nfl.com/watch-nfl-live

This is the legit online watching service from the NFL. I'm not an NFL fan but use similar services from MLB and NHL. Read up on any blackout restrictions though before buying.

The sites you mentioned (blockless, unblockus) are for changing your IP address. So let's say you're in Philadelphia and want to watch the Eagles online but the service puts restrictions preventing you from viewing it. These services will change your IP address to fool the service into thinking you're somewhere else (like Europe) so that you can watch it.

beefcake

Post by beefcake » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:22 am

I have given up cable TV, but I do enjoy watching many NFL games per year. Last year I searched for a reliable and legal way to stream NFL games without buying DirectTV's Sunday Ticket.

The NFL does offer official streams (NFL Game Pass) of all the games. However, these are only offered outside of the United States. Why? Because DirectTV has paid lots of money to keep it this way (to get more people to subscribe to Sunday Ticket).

I am in the United States, but after reading a little on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2 ... _football/) I was able to find an option.

I used a VPN server in the Netherlands to sign up for Game Pass. This cost me about $120-$130 last year. This gave me access to all regular season games for any team. I have an antenna so playoff games were not an issue. The link referenced earlier has all the information you need to get started.

Completely legal? Maybe a bit of a grey zone. I had no issues with it last year. I was able to stream up to 4 games at a time. I am doing it again this year.
"Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake....BEEFCAKE!!"

dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:10 am

The NFL used to offer delayed streams to U.S. customers for a reasonable $40. This year they jacked up the price to $100, which is too much for me (last year I only watched 3 games this way). The video quality is mediocre, on par with free live streams like NBC Sunday Night Football.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

yaychemistry

Post by yaychemistry » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 am

mattymcmatt wrote:You probably want NFL Gamepass, no? http://www.nfl.com/watch-nfl-live

This is the legit online watching service from the NFL. I'm not an NFL fan but use similar services from MLB and NHL. Read up on any blackout restrictions though before buying.
The problem with this service, is that residents of the US and Mexico don't get live regular season games. You can only watch recorded games. (They call it "live" because you get live pre-season games). Definitely not worth $100.
The sites you mentioned (blockless, unblockus) are for changing your IP address. So let's say you're in Philadelphia and want to watch the Eagles online but the service puts restrictions preventing you from viewing it. These services will change your IP address to fool the service into thinking you're somewhere else (like Europe) so that you can watch it.
There are various ways to make it appear that your computer is in a different country than it really is (changing your IP address is one way to accomplish this - other methods provide better performance and less latency/buffering). Since the NFL allows free live streaming of games to some countries in Europe, if you can fool them into thinking you are in the Netherlands (for example), then you can watch the games free.

IANAL, and I don't know if it breaks any specific laws. However, it is certainly against the NFL's terms of service agreement (that you implicitly agree to by using their stream). And the NFL actively tries to blacklist servers that provide these location-disguising services. Thus, depending on the quality of the service, you might only get to watch a few minutes of each game before the NFL blocks the service. (This was the case with adfreetime last year). Other location-hiding services may or may not have this problem.

This is all to say, that the only legal/hassle-free way to stream NFL games that I know of is to get a satellite dish and subscription from DirecTV - which sort of defeats the purpose of wanting to stream games in the first place. I suppose you could buy the satellite dish, and then just leave it boxed up in garage just so you can stream games. It seems that the NFL's broadcast business model hasn't quite caught up with the internet age.

(P.S. Don't get me started on how to watch quality rugby games in the US...).

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 am

If you live in anything other than a SFH, you are now able to purchase NFL Sunday Ticket straight from DirecTV a la carte. Also, Sling TV is only $20/mo and includes ESPN. I'm curious to see what others suggest as well. I want to cut the cord but Sunday Ticket access is DH's sticking point.

-Steph

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 am

Maybe someone can tell me why this wouldn't work. I watch games on my Verizon smartphone from time to time. Couldn't I mirror that to the tv and watch?

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:40 pm

One negative to me when I looked at NFL Gamepass was that I had to stream it to my laptop and then get it to my big screen TV via HDMI cable or wireless streaming. I would rather use my Roku attached to my TV to do all the streaming and not involve my laptop, but the NFL has made it difficult to use a Roku for streaming without going through lots of gyrations. Unless something has changed since I investigated this.

If you are in the USA, when you use a VPN to make it appear you are abroad you are not breaking the law but violating the Terms of Service.

For most services I use abroad, I am doing the opposite, making it appear via VPN that I am in the USA (even though I am paying the same as a US resident with a US credit card tied to a US address).

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 pm

SRenaeP wrote:If you live in anything other than a SFH, you are now able to purchase NFL Sunday Ticket straight from DirecTV a la carte. Also, Sling TV is only $20/mo and includes ESPN. I'm curious to see what others suggest as well. I want to cut the cord but Sunday Ticket access is DH's sticking point.

-Steph
I agree. I believe direct tv is the only licensed carrier for live NFL games. Anything else live streaming is not legal and usually of poor quality. With direct tv my brother was able to play a live game of our choosing last year in good quality on his phone while we were sitting in port waiting for our cruise ship to take off. I have the Sunday ticket and would invite you over but Eagles fans are obnoxious. I'm sure you understand. :beer.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:59 am

JonnyDVM wrote: I agree. I believe direct tv is the only licensed carrier for live NFL games. Anything else live streaming is not legal and usually of poor quality. With direct tv my brother was able to play a live game of our choosing last year in good quality on his phone while we were sitting in port waiting for our cruise ship to take off. I have the Sunday ticket and would invite you over but Eagles fans are obnoxious. I'm sure you understand. :beer.
NBC streams SNF in decent quality; CBS will be streaming some games this season too.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote: I agree. I believe direct tv is the only licensed carrier for live NFL games. Anything else live streaming is not legal and usually of poor quality. With direct tv my brother was able to play a live game of our choosing last year in good quality on his phone while we were sitting in port waiting for our cruise ship to take off. I have the Sunday ticket and would invite you over but Eagles fans are obnoxious. I'm sure you understand. :beer.
NBC streams SNF in decent quality; CBS will be streaming some games this season too.
As a Browns fan my team is never on national TV. We're a bunch of sorry sad sacks. Sunday ticket or no game for me. Without looking, I suspect the Eagles have quite a few national games this season. They can score.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 pm

JonnyDVM wrote: As a Browns fan my team is never on national TV. We're a bunch of sorry sad sacks. Sunday ticket or no game for me. Without looking, I suspect the Eagles have quite a few national games this season. They can score.
Your team has two national regular-season games this year, same number as my Cardinals (assuming our SNF gets flexed away, which I expect to happen).

But yeah, it takes Sunday Ticket if you're out of market.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote: As a Browns fan my team is never on national TV. We're a bunch of sorry sad sacks. Sunday ticket or no game for me. Without looking, I suspect the Eagles have quite a few national games this season. They can score.
Your team has two national regular-season games this year, same number as my Cardinals (assuming our SNF gets flexed away, which I expect to happen).

But yeah, it takes Sunday Ticket if you're out of market.

Yes we were all shocked to get a Monday night game this year. It's been a while. 2009 in fact and that did NOT go well. I don't really count the Thursday night games. Those tend to be not so good but hey, it's football, so I'm watching it. Surprised the Cards are not on more national TV this year. Great season last year until the end.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:31 am

SRenaeP wrote:If you live in anything other than a SFH, you are now able to purchase NFL Sunday Ticket straight from DirecTV a la carte. Also, Sling TV is only $20/mo and includes ESPN. I'm curious to see what others suggest as well. I want to cut the cord but Sunday Ticket access is DH's sticking point.

-Steph
This is why DirecTV keeps me around. I've been a DirecTV and Sunday Ticket subscriber since '99 and I won't go anywhere until I can easily watch another way (Miami Dolphins games). Since I've been with DirecTV for so long and spend around $100/mo for their service, they give me Sunday Ticket for free each year which is a nice perk (it just takes an annual call threatening to cancel).