Home Security Outdoor Camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dolob

Home Security Outdoor Camera

Post by Dolob » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:54 am

Morning all - I'm looking for 1 outdoor camera, any advice on a specific model? It will sit in plain sight under the roof soffit pointing towards the front door/of house.

Req: 1080p, good night vision, wired (POE). Doesn't need to swivel, but it would be a nice pro. It will hook up to NAS.
Budget: < $400

Cigarman

Re: Home Security Outdoor Camera

Post by Cigarman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:27 am

I'm quite happy with my Logitech system. 4 camera's, wireless to a certain extent (info sent through house wiring but camera does need to be plugged in), good night vision.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:08 am

If your goal is just curiosity to see who is approaching the house, your setup will work fine.

If your goal is to catch criminals, under the roof soffit is not the best place. In my area, we are told the criminals first, know most cameras are mounted under the soffits, and secondly, that they can steal and be long gone in the time it takes for an alarm system to notify police and the police to arrive, so the primary use of the camera is to identify the suspect. To thwart this, they wear hats with big bills on them which shields their face from the soffit cameras. We were advised to consider installing cameras down low, at electrical outlet height, and disguised as outlets.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 am

I went with the following system

$60 Blue Iris Software - Running on the home server
3x $100 Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I 3MP EXIR Turret Network Camera
$40 POE Hub

So far so good, I got it after getting a package stolen, I know its not an alarm system, and it may not provide a perfect ID of a burglar. but I believe its a deterrent, and I get peace of mind just knowing whats happening on my property when I'm away.

jcar

Post by jcar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 am

Any suggestions on a knowledgeable retail store on these type devices or a website with good information? I would like something I could view real time on my tablet or smart phone. Thanks.

Acepilot

Post by Acepilot » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:08 am

I have the logitech cameras. The outside has night vision and two indoor cameras. The inside electrical wiring is used to connect to wifi / internet. The mobile app allows me to view remotely. I really like it, but each camera is a little expensive.

Dolob

Post by Dolob » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:07 am

This is more of a deterrent. Peace of mind to know I can know what is going on while I'm away from the house. And about a year ago, an elderly neighbor (women) had paint thrown or dropped on her driveway - probably some kids or passerby.

The camera in an outlet is a nice idea, I have an outlet by my front door; hmm... - probably not necessary though. If its not expensive, I may just install it for fun.

The Hikvision reviews on amazon are generally positive. I'm glad someone here is using it too - I was looking at Bosch, Axis, Samsung, but I'm not sure spending that much is necessary. I'll probably go with the Hik; will let you know.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Dolo

Dolob

Post by Dolob » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 am

Acepilot wrote:I have the logitech cameras. The outside has night vision and two indoor cameras. The inside electrical wiring is used to connect to wifi / internet. The mobile app allows me to view remotely. I really like it, but each camera is a little expensive.
Which Logitech model?

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:41 am

+1 for hikvision cameras. They are solid performers.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:58 am

I don't know much about these cameras but Costco sells them in-store in setups of 2, 4 and 8 last I checked. Usually mated with a DVR and monitor. Actually just checked the website and they have a wide variety of gear.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

karpems

Post by karpems » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:30 pm

I use the following system:

You will need a computer that is pretty powerful that needs to be on all the time.
Blue iris software($40-50, fantastic. Stores video on your computer for a set amount of time). Easy to use. Highly recommend
Eagle eye POE switch($60-75 on amazon)
Microseven cameras(bought directly from them. If you contact them directly they offer significant discounts. They have indoor and outdoor models. I think I paid between $60-70 per camera)
Ran Cat5 cable to each camera location(cheap on monoprice)

Takes some tinkering, but you are able to view cameras remotely on the internet and at home. Works pretty well.

Acepilot

Post by Acepilot » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Logitech alert 700e. They have both indoor and outdoor cameras. Below is utube link.

http://youtu.be/eMISzp3reRc

There are some less expensive products but logitech offers complete solution including mobile access with subscription about $79 year and alerts when there is movement. It gives me peace of mind when not there. I started with a single camera and have added two more.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Another vote for HIKVision cameras. I have a few the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3mp cams. I'd order from a supplier that ships via amazon.

bengt

Post by bengt » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:47 pm

For deterrent purposes, get fake camera for $9.
You can additionally consider real camera, of course.

SpendLess

Post by SpendLess » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:37 pm

I have similar requirements for an outdoor camera but I do not want to have my NAS store the video. For video storage I would go to the cloud (weary on impact to my low upload bandwidth) or internal storage on the camera. Yes criminal can steal camera with internal storage but nothing is perfect. I used internal storage on some work cameras I had installed (too pricy for my home-use). I don't care for all the video to go to storage, just motion activated. Good cameras will throw a few seconds of footage on the recording before they detect motion.

I did some research but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Here is what makes up my shortlist:

* Y-CAM HomeMonitor HD Pro: $280 with 7-day lifetime cloud recording. night vision, PoE, no SD card
* Y-CAM Bullet HD: $429 1080/$249 720 with SD card, no cloud recording
* Y-Cam Bullet HD 1080 B-Grade clearance: £199.99 + £36 shipping (£187 for 720p B-grade)
* HikVision: DS-2CD4224F-IZH $331. PoE, internal storage

jordank

Post by jordank » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:59 pm

If you want something more plug-and-play (though probably a little more expensive than DIY), I recently installed a Swann NVR8-7085 8-Ch 2TB HDD NVR, after having some tools nicked from my garage while the door was open (we live in a cul-de-sac too). the only cable you need to run to the cameras is a UTP network cable (comes with it), which is low voltage so you don't need to put it in conduit (at least where we are, check your local code). I hid it all under the eaves of the roof, including the cameras themselves, worked out great.

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details)

Very easy, stores months of video, has built-in management interface, including motion detection and email alerts (You can set it to email you a picture whenever it detects motion in specific areas of each individual camera).

It's been 6 months or so, and no complaints so far, works great.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:24 pm

There is some good advice on here!

The Blue Iris software is great -- I've used it for years. :beer

There are a lot of CHEAP cameras out there that take really low-quality pictures. I'd advise against those inexpensive sets of multiple cameras unless you are installing them very close to the subject. Expect to spend over $200 for a single, solid, wired camera. Wireless cameras have always been a little flaky for me (disconnecting) and the videos are stuttery because the data transfer rate isn't high enough. Monoprice is a great place for cables.

Hikvision has a great reputation for quality and value. I just installed this one, which is what inspired me to look for this thread:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFF ... ge_o00_s01
This one has the particular advantage of a zoom.

The good cameras typically use power injected into the Cat5 wire -- you need one of these to do that:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PS ... ailpages00

It is fun to come home at the end of the day and see saved clips of the mailman and solicitors coming to the door. If you save the clips in a Dropbox folder then you can see them from anywhere and they're protected if someone, say, steals your computer. :shock: