2008 Honda Accord with only 10K miles. Any major service needed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mr_breen

2008 Honda Accord with only 10K miles. Any major service needed?

Post by mr_breen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:52 pm

I have a 2008 Honda Accord Automatic 5 Speed LX that has only 10K miles. It was purchased new by a relative who used it very little. When this relative went into assisted living, the car sat largely unused for a year. Finally, they decided to sell it to me.

After purchase from my relative, I replaced the battery and had the oil changed and tires rotated. I've been using it and it seems to work fine. I should also note that during the period when the owner wasn't using it, I would take it out roughly every month for a trip onto the highway, just because I read that was a good idea.

I can't find the complete Honda recommended service schedule for this car in the paperwork and manuals I have. Does anyone have a link for this? In the past I've seen Honda maintenance schedules that go by months and miles (whatever comes first.) This car diverges so wildly from that maintenance schedule, however. If I followed that schedule, I would have to do everything recommended up to 96 months, which would be a lot.

So, does anyone know of a particular service that a car of this age really needs? Thanks

knowsnothing

Re: 2008 Honda Accord with only 10K miles. Any major service needed?

Post by knowsnothing » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Sounds like you took pretty good care of it - I believe the first scheduled maintenance comes at 30k miles.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:28 pm

I wouldn't go by time, especially if the car was garaged.

Rubbers in the hoses and belts are lasting a long time now-a-days.

4cyl? V6s require timing belt changes, but I wouldn't do the timing belt for many more years. They hold up very well now.

Nice score on a solid car. Keep an eye on the tires. Surface cracking is okay, anything deep or and bulges and its time to replace.

bad78andy

Post by bad78andy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Mr Breen,

The Honda maintenance schedules can be found at http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder

If I were you, I would get all fluids changed. There is a mileage or time interval e.g. change engine oil at 5000 miles or once in 12 months, whichever comes first.

I don't know where you live, but here in Tampa Bay, car batteries rarely survive 3-4 years, even the 8 year life rated, due to summer heat. Also, tires may deteriorate from inactivity. Have all this checked out by an independent mechanic (not auto repair chains, not dealers).

Some of this is via experience of being given a car with unknown history. :beer

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:20 pm

I'd definitely get the brakes bled (replace the brake fluid). I'd also take a look and see how old the tires are. If they're older than 5 years I'd replace them as well.

mr_breen

Post by mr_breen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:26 pm

surfstar wrote:I wouldn't go by time, especially if the car was garaged.

Rubbers in the hoses and belts are lasting a long time now-a-days.

4cyl? V6s require timing belt changes, but I wouldn't do the timing belt for many more years. They hold up very well now.

Nice score on a solid car. Keep an eye on the tires. Surface cracking is okay, anything deep or and bulges and its time to replace.

It is a 4 cyl.

mr_breen

Post by mr_breen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Driver wrote:I'd definitely get the brakes bled (replace the brake fluid). I'd also take a look and see how old the tires are. If they're older than 5 years I'd replace them as well.

The tires are original to the car, so they are about 8 years old. They do concern me, because I do see surface cracking. However, they only have 10K of wear on them. I think generally you can get 30 - 40K with most tires. I'm really on the fence with replacing the tires.

mr_breen

Post by mr_breen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 pm

bad78andy wrote:Mr Breen,

The Honda maintenance schedules can be found at http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder

If I were you, I would get all fluids changed. There is a mileage or time interval e.g. change engine oil at 5000 miles or once in 12 months, whichever comes first.

I don't know where you live, but here in Tampa Bay, car batteries rarely survive 3-4 years, even the 8 year life rated, due to summer heat. Also, tires may deteriorate from inactivity. Have all this checked out by an independent mechanic (not auto repair chains, not dealers).

Some of this is via experience of being given a car with unknown history. :beer

I did get the battery replaced. I actually do have all of the service records. Basically, the only service the car had was the recommended oil changes and tire rotations.

I live in the NE and the car was not kept in a garage, so it was exposed to all of the seasonal weather.
Last edited by mr_breen on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JD2775

Post by JD2775 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:37 pm

I'd bite the bullet and replace the tires if it were me. 10k is not a lot of wear on them but if they are cracking it becomes a possible safety issue. You got a nice car there, I would do it for peace of mind
Last edited by JD2775 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Personally, I'd replace the tires. They're a pretty important safety feature.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

frisbee

Post by frisbee » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:46 pm

I have a '06 Accord (with 95k miles). Change the brake fluid - it absorbs water and reduces the boiling temp (plus corrodes the system). I just had mine done for about $100 at the dealer.

Replace the Tires - This is a no brainer - Get it done.

I'd consider a Tranny oil change. I'm guessing that your relative took the occasional short drive, which is less than ideal.

Have the mechanic check all the boots on your CV joints, inspect the brake pads (make sure they haven't cracked or the rotors/drums haven't rusted too much), look at your belts, etc. 56 point inspection yada yada. Plastic/rubber lasts a long time, but if it sits and hardens, it will crack.

You have a great car - spend a couple of $hundred now, and drive it for the next 150k miles.

NonnyGoGo

Post by NonnyGoGo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:59 pm

Agree with all the other comments to change the tires. I bought a car with similar characteristics and had skidding problems in wet weather which went away when I changed the tires. They looked fine to the eye.

billern

Post by billern » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:05 pm

I have a old Honda civic with low mileage and ignore most of the time based service recommendations.

It seems like tires and breaks are two areas where it makes sense to spend the money, when there is even a hint of a question about safety.

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 pm

If it was stored with low fuel there may be a bit of condensation in the fuel tank as well. On top of condensation, fuels with ethanol(most pumps are E10) break down fairly quick. If the fuel in the tank has been in there that long I would drain it to prevent any injector issues. Also look for dry rot on the tires.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 pm

I would do:
- Oil [Done]
- Battery [Done]
- Tires

And - you can sell the old tires to a 'used tire shop.' Probably get $30/tire for them. That should cover one of the new ones.

I don't think I would change any of the other fluids at this point - especially not the transmission. Wait till you hit 30k or something, then change it along with the brake fluid.

Congrats on a mint car! :beer

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Driver wrote:Personally, I'd replace the tires. They're a pretty important safety feature.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

I too would replace the tires as a safety measure.

That is money well spent.

Also -- do NOT perform the laundry list of repairs / maintenance that the Honda dealer will likely hand you if you go by your local Honda dealership service department.

Just say no.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Another vote for a brake fluid change (every three years independent of mileage).

New tires appropriate for your climate, from a dealer who has constant inventory turnover (so you get "fresh" tires), but check the date code on the sidewalls.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Kennerboy

Post by Kennerboy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:19 pm

strongly suggest you get new tires. I replace all tires at 6 years, regardless of mileage or remaining tread. very good chance your tires are dry rotted.

dognose

Post by dognose » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Change out the tires immediately. This is a safety issue that should not be ignored. Otherwise, you should be fine.

mr_breen

Post by mr_breen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Kennerboy wrote:strongly suggest you get new tires. I replace all tires at 6 years, regardless of mileage or remaining tread. very good chance your tires are dry rotted.

Since the tires are so important, I decided to post pics:

These are from the driver's side front tire. There is definitely cracking, but I'm not sure if it is deep enough to warrant tire replacement.

Edit: I forgot to include the actual tire tread photos when I first made this post :oops:
Last edited by mr_breen on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Personally, I would take it in to a Honda dealer and have it inspected. You may want to call and ask the cost for an inspection. They will then be able to tell you what they recommend. I have driven Hondas for years and they are excellent vehicles. I trust my Honda dealership to keep my vehicle safe and reliable. Good luck.

investor

Post by investor » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Sure, dealers will fix all the problems. They will probably also fix many problems that you do not have. Take it to an independent. Dealerships make a very large part of their profits from the service department. To do that they must fix something…..

investor

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:40 pm

I inherited my mother's 1999 Accord in early 2010(it was a V6.) It had about 40k miles; in addition to replacing the tires and changing the automatic transmission fluid, I changed the timing belt. The recommendation is something like 90k miles OR 10 years. You are not there yet, but consider doing the timing belt in 2018, assuming the recommendation is the same.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

tony44

Post by tony44 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:46 pm

investor wrote:Sure, dealers will fix all the problems. They will probably also fix many problems that you do not have. Take it to an independent. Dealerships make a very large part of their profits from the service department. To do that they must fix something…..

investor

My dentist does the same thing....wants to fix things that aren't broken. Of course, these broken things are not covered by my insurance.
I, too, have a car thats been sitting. This all seems like some good advice.

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:37 pm

On the tires note, I was pulling a trailer with tires that looked much like yours and the entire tire cap came off the tire down to the steel bands and took the fender with it. The rubber on my tires was noticeably hard compared to an average tire.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Okay, the 4 cylinder doesn't have a timing belt, as other user suggested replacing above; it's not there to be replaced.

Now, for brake fluid, yes, it's hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. However, I have an '05 with original brake fluid and the brakes feel fine to me. Not spongy at all. My inner mechanic wants to find reasons to do things to the car, but there's no evidence that the brake fluid has absorbed any water, and my overriding philosophy on cars from long experience is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So with regards to your brakes, if they feel "great" like mine do, don't worry about changing it. However if you feel in any way that they might be "spongy" or weak, or you have any doubts, have the fluid changed.

As for tires, your old tires probably feel fine now with hot pavement and warm tires (summer weather). Come the winter/wet weather (forget snowy/icy weather), your traction is going to be very, very poor secondary to the aged rubber compound of the tires. If you're okay with that, then fine (they'll pass inspection, which only looks at tread depth). But otherwise go to your local Discount and get yourself some Yokohama YK580's (a great tire by any measure).

Edit: Other than brake fluid and what you've already done, there's no other official Honda suggested maintenance for your car (per my user's manual), unless you have the 6 cylinder which I think wasn't made with the manual transmission.
Last edited by texaspapas on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 pm

NO brainer - new tires are called for. Safety is paramount. Get the new ones rotated regularly and you'll get your money's worth. I used to work in an auto body shop and I can tell you there was a pattern for vehicles coming in for body work post collision...you can guess what that pattern involved.

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:05 pm

investor wrote:Sure, dealers will fix all the problems. They will probably also fix many problems that you do not have. Take it to an independent. Dealerships make a very large part of their profits from the service department. To do that they must fix something…..

investor

I've had the same problem with my local Honda dealer -- I take it in for a scheduled oil change and they write up a $1,200 laundry list of things I "need to have done". Ripoff. No thanks.

The service department is under pressure from the owner or GM to write everybody up for $1,000 (whatever the number is).

The trust is gone.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:07 am

BIGal wrote:Personally, I would take it in to a Honda dealer and have it inspected. You may want to call and ask the cost for an inspection. They will then be able to tell you what they recommend. I have driven Hondas for years and they are excellent vehicles. I trust my Honda dealership to keep my vehicle safe and reliable. Good luck.

The best advice given.

This car is often referred to as a "garage queen" and is not necessarily an inexpensive vehicle purchase as you need to replace most rubber parts, fluids and the like.

By the way, those tires are seriously dry-rotted and should be replaced fairly quickly. The last time I bought a car with tires like that, one tire went flat on the way to the tire shop.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:29 am

For sure replace those tires. I'm suprised the place that rotated your tires didn't tell you to get them replaced.

Also I'd have the brakes bled. Brake fluid absorbs water over time whether the car is in use or not. You could have the fluid tested for corrosion inhibitors and boiling point though...

Coolant also absorbs water over time which will raise its freezing point. This is also easy to test with a shop that has a refractometer.

Inspect the belts as well, its possible they have become dried and cracked over time.

Tranny fluid should be fine just sitting there.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 am

texaspapas wrote:Now, for brake fluid, yes, it's hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. However, I have an '05 with original brake fluid and the brakes feel fine to me. Not spongy at all. My inner mechanic wants to find reasons to do things to the car, but there's no evidence that the brake fluid has absorbed any water, and my overriding philosophy on cars from long experience is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So with regards to your brakes, if they feel "great" like mine do, don't worry about changing it. However if you feel in any way that they might be "spongy" or weak, or you have any doubts, have the fluid changed.

There are other factors that can determine when you need to change your brake fluid... Also at this point I don't believe old fluid is a cause for a soft pedal but I'm doing some more research to confirm that.

http://www.pepboys.com/car_care_corner/car_care_basics/maintenance/soft_brake_pedal/

Old fluid is not listed as a cause.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:55 pm

texaspapas wrote:Now, for brake fluid, yes, it's hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. However, I have an '05 with original brake fluid and the brakes feel fine to me. Not spongy at all. My inner mechanic wants to find reasons to do things to the car, but there's no evidence that the brake fluid has absorbed any water, and my overriding philosophy on cars from long experience is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So with regards to your brakes, if they feel "great" like mine do, don't worry about changing it. However if you feel in any way that they might be "spongy" or weak, or you have any doubts, have the fluid changed.

This is faulty and dangerous thinking. Everything may be fine and dandy under normal driving and braking conditions. But there may be a time when you use your brakes in an emergency situation that causes the fluid to heat up far higher than normal. And then your brakes don't work and you crash.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Oh don't be a chicken little. Test the brakes somewhere by slamming them. This is standard procedure when evaluating a used car. I'll bet they are ok.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:09 pm

sunny_socal wrote:Oh don't be a chicken little. Test the brakes somewhere by slamming them. This is standard procedure when evaluating a used car. I'll bet they are ok.

This is bad advice, slamming on the brakes tells you very little about the state of the brake fluid, or even the pads and rotors in most cases. In fact aside from ABS function I'm having trouble thinking of anything it could tell you for brakes that don't have some major problem.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:45 am

This is faulty and dangerous thinking. Everything may be fine and dandy under normal driving and braking conditions. But there may be a time when you use your brakes in an emergency situation that causes the fluid to heat up far higher than normal. And then your brakes don't work and you crash.

This is bad advice, slamming on the brakes tells you very little about the state of the brake fluid, or even the pads and rotors in most cases. In fact aside from ABS function I'm having trouble thinking of anything it could tell you for brakes that don't have some major problem.

So which one is it? Living in constant fear of your brakes not working - or trying them out and yet not knowing about a "major problem"?

Cmon. Just drive the car!

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:03 am

Find a good INDY repair shop and ask them for their advice. I believe tires are ok to 10 years, have them inspected or replace for better piece of mind. Also replace fluids to include trans, cooling system and flush the brakes. I would consider changing oil/filter switching to synthetic. Given proper preventive maintenance you should get many years of service, basically you have a near new car.

Higman

Post by Higman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:03 am

Don't forget to check for recalls on the car. 2008 Hondas may have defective air bags. See:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:27 am

ShiftF5 wrote:

investor

I've had the same problem with my local Honda dealer -- I take it in for a scheduled oil change and they write up a $1,200 laundry list of things I "need to have done". Ripoff. No thanks.

The service department is under pressure from the owner or GM to write everybody up for $1,000 (whatever the number is).

The trust is gone.

Always remember that service advisers at the dealership work off of commission.

victorb

Post by victorb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:44 am

I would definitely buy a new set of tires. Those are weather checked and will give you nothing but problems, especially at the worst time. The advantages of new tires are many and not that expensive. Better handling, braking and ride are worth it.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:49 am

Those tires are scary bad, I would drive straight to the tire shop. Tread depth is meaningless when they blow out on the highway due to heat and old age.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:59 pm

1. Have the brake fluid flushed and replaced. Then flush and refill every 2 years.
2. Get tires replaced before doing any sustained driving over 45mph - they are too old to be safe at highway speeds.
3. If it were my car I would have the ATF drained and filled (not flushed). That means they drain about 1/4 of the fluid and replace with fresh ATF per drain and fill. Then do an ATF drain and fill every 30k miles going forward.
4. Have the coolant checked by a competent trustworthy shop. They should check coolant ph and electrolysis level. Coolant may be fine but if they say change it, do it. Aging coolant can damage the motor.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:39 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

So which one is it? Living in constant fear of your brakes not working - or trying them out and yet not knowing about a "major problem"?

Cmon. Just drive the car!

You'll have to slam on the brakes more than once to get them hot enough to boil the fluid. It takes a fair amount aggressive driving or long stretches of downhill. Heat has to conduct through the pad into piston and then get the caliper hot enough to boil the fluid. My statement stands that slamming on your brakes will tell likely tell you nothing about the state of the fluid, pads, or rotors.

victorb

Post by victorb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 pm

My dad always stressed good brakes and tires.

After you have an accident or blow-out, it is too late.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Your tires look A-W-F-U-L. Awful! Please get new tires. Those things are dangerous!

Balance

Post by Balance » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:47 pm

I have an 2007 Honda Accord manual transmission. I didn't read through each and every reply so please forgive me if I missed something.

- I would change out the tires immediately. Because there is some cracking and it is several years old I would change them out. It is just something I wouldn't risk and you will feel more confident when you drive knowing that your tires won't blow out on you. If you have a Costco membership they will often times do promotions with Michelin or Bridgestone where if you buy 4 tires one of them will be free (or significantly reduced in cost). We bought the Bridgestone Ecopia's a few months ago and they have a 75K mile warranty/5 years.

- Someone mentioned replacing the timing belt. You don't have to worry about that because the newer Hondas all have timing chains that will last so much longer than the belts.

- I also had my plugs and wires changed after 100k miles but you won't need to worry about that since your engine still has very low mileage on it.

- Bring it in to the dealership to check for all recalls. Honda and Toyota just sent out massive recalls on airbags (I am sure you probably read about this). They will replace it for free and check to see if your car missed any other recalls which they will also change out at no charge.

Your Accord should last for a very long time if you drive it well and keep it maintained. They are great cars. Good luck!

georgenator

Post by georgenator » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 pm

As Higman said earlier, check for recalls. I think my parents have that exact car (2008, 4 cyl) and recently had it in the shop for 4 days getting all of the airbags replaced.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:22 pm

A few more things;

I would have the A/C refrigerant checked to see if it needs to be topped off.

When you get the tires replaced it would be good to ask about getting replacement batteries for the air pressure sensors, or you might need new sensors.

A few DIY things that I would do just because they are so easy to do;

Replace the engine air filter and cabin air filter if it has one.

Lubricate the locks

Lubricate the hinges: Doors, trunk, hood.

Lubricate the remote hood release catch that is under the hood.

Be sure to check what the what is the right type of lubricant.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 pm

From the sidewall picture of your tires the DOT code on your tires is "2907" That means they were manufactured in 29th week of 2007. They are now over 8 years old - too old to be safe at highway speeds if it were me and my family in the car.

Kennerboy

Post by Kennerboy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 pm

i have seen one case where dry rotted tires were responsible for totaling a recently purchased used Toyota Camry. Front left tire blew out at 70 mph and engine quit immediately. Driver was able to stop on the shoulder of the interstate. Had it towed to a Toyota dealer, who promptly totaled the vehicle The dry rotted tire had come apart and flopped up thru the wheel well and ripped out the wiring harness into the dashboard. repair estimate was over $7000. Luckily, no one was hurt. Since it was a Toyota "certified" used car and they had not informed my friend of the 4 dry rotted tires prior to purchase, we were able to convince the service manager that Toyota bore some responsibility in this case. They ended up meeting my friend half way on the repairs.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:10 pm

The tires are indeed a safety concern, they will dry rot even if garaged. It's also a good idea to check the manufactured date on your tires. No telling how long they've been sitting in stock before being mounted on your car.

Here's a link on how to check the manufactured date: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CO6276jn784CFUGSfgodL3IBeA&techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72454653373!e!!g!!tires%20manufacturing%20date&ef_id=V8iPkwAABCNtbQnr:20160902040640:s

Here's a link with some info for you on tire age guidelines: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireLife.do