Anyone not own a Smartphone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DDMP20

Anyone not own a Smartphone

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am

Does anyone not own a smartphone? Although I am in IT I refuse to purchase a smartphone and pay for the data plan. I don't allow my life to be ruled by social media, "apps" or anything along those lines. I've got better things to do with my time and money. Has anyone experienced stigma or ridicule for not owning one?
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

DaftInvestor

Re: Anyone not own a Smartphone

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am

Did you see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=171259

Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 am

DaftInvestor wrote:Did you see this thread:

I saw it several moments after I created this one.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 am

DDMP20 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:Did you see this thread:

I saw it several moments after I created this one.
Yup - saw you jump in over there right after I sent this.
If I didn't have reimbursement from my employer for my data plan - I'm not sure if I'd have a smartphone. In my opinion - if your employer isn't reimbursing the plan - then they can't expect you to have one. Attitudes on the device seemed to have changed - I used to be able to expense the price of the Smartphone but now many employers (at least mine and another I heard about) don't reimburse the device itself - they expect you to just have one (I don't think its fair - but I guess they expect you to wear shoes to work and don't pay for those either....).

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:58 am

I think I could do fine without one if I had an easy, reliable method of accessing Google Maps and GPS. I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to directions, and having a resource like that in my pocket has been a tremendous help in my life. Other than Google Maps and a few travel apps like Delta and Skype, I don't really have any apps on my phone.

IPer

Post by IPer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:58 am

I have a smartphone for the apps only, because I need them for business.
I have a dumb phone with a real good footprint that you cannot buy today
which I use for making phone calls. If it weren't for needing to use the
apps I would not have a smartphone, no one dares ridicule my dumb phone,
there is no stigma, if I ever get that point I hope someone shoots me or
punches me or something. If you don't need to use the apps consider yourself
blessed!
Read the Wiki Wiki !

Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:05 am

climber2020 wrote:I think I could do fine without one if I had an easy, reliable method of accessing Google Maps and GPS. I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to directions, and having a resource like that in my pocket has been a tremendous help in my life. Other than Google Maps and a few travel apps like Delta and Skype, I don't really have any apps on my phone.

Why don't you just buy a cheap GPS to use when in your car? It would save you a lot of money.

Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am

DaftInvestor wrote: Yup - saw you jump in over there right after I sent this.
If I didn't have reimbursement from my employer for my data plan - I'm not sure if I'd have a smartphone. In my opinion - if your employer isn't reimbursing the plan - then they can't expect you to have one. Attitudes on the device seemed to have changed - I used to be able to expense the price of the Smartphone but now many employers (at least mine and another I heard about) don't reimburse the device itself - they expect you to just have one (I don't think its fair - but I guess they expect you to wear shoes to work and don't pay for those either....).

I agree with you that I don't think it's fair. I've been fortunate where my employer has always provided one that they paid for when I was expected to have one. Aside from the cost considerations is the expectation that having one means you are expected to be available for work related stuff 24/7. If you're not getting paid 24/7 there needs to be a clear boundary between personal time and on the clock.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:16 am

DDMP20 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote: Yup - saw you jump in over there right after I sent this.

I agree with you that I don't think it's fair. I've been fortunate where my employer has always provided one that they paid for when I was expected to have one. Aside from the cost considerations is the expectation that having one means you are expected to be available for work related stuff 24/7. If you're not getting paid 24/7 there needs to be a clear boundary between personal time and on the clock.
This is highly dependent upon employer culture and manager attitude. I recently inherited a new team and several of the guys were planning their vacations and assuring me they would be available - I told them NOT to be available - but to set up a call with a peer who would cover for them when they are out and to be sure to set an out-of-office message that lets folks know who to reach in their absence. They were surprised as their prior manager told them they must be available and checking email at least once every 24 hours - I told them this was ridiculous - not our company policy - and vacations are a time to disconnect and unwind.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:18 am

I use my Nexus 5 smartphone as possibly my main computer nowadays, especially when travelling.
And I've been retired going on three years now, so employment enters into this equation not at all.
I try not to think how things would be without smartphone functionality...
Attempted new signature...

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 am

DDMP20 wrote:
climber2020 wrote:I think I could do fine without one if I had an easy, reliable method of accessing Google Maps and GPS. I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to directions, and having a resource like that in my pocket has been a tremendous help in my life. Other than Google Maps and a few travel apps like Delta and Skype, I don't really have any apps on my phone.

Why don't you just buy a cheap GPS to use when in your car? It would save you a lot of money.
I agree. I have a Garmin that works great: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Nuvi-58LM- ... nüvi®+58LM
Best Wishes, | Joe

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:43 am

DDMP20 wrote:

I get lost walking around as well. I was strolling around San Francisco a couple years back and couldn't find the ocean. It's really bad.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:02 am

If my employer wasn't paying for it, no way I would have one. I even pretty recently (within the last 5yrs) lived without a cell phone for over a year and hardly missed it at all. My daughter uses my smartphone to watch cartoons far more than I use it. My wife on the other hand...she spends at least half her day with her face buried in it - for both work and pleasure. Thank heavens her employer covers the cost, wouldn't want to be paying for her data usage.

upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:08 am

No smartphone. Old Nokia candy bar, works great. Small, light, needs charging only about 1x per week. For me the simpler the better.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:09 am

I don't have one. At least it's not very smart. It's an LG clamshell design, bought it from TracFone perhaps six or seven years ago. It has a crappy camera in it. No touchscreen. It has something called a web browser in it, but I've never tried it.

I do believe a smartphone is inevitable, and we will get one when the time arrives when there is serious institutional discrimination against people who don't have one (e.g. when the sellers at the farmer's market accept Apple Pay but not cash). I think we can put off the inevitable for another five years.

I am quite alarmed by the monthly costs the young people casually say they are paying. "Oh, it's really cheap--I'm only paying $100/month."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 am

I have a phone with buttons on it, I tap in the phone number and hit "send". That is just about the most useful feature on a phone - to receive and send phone calls. I don't own a smartphone.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:13 am

JMacDonald wrote:
DDMP20 wrote:
I agree. I have a Garmin that works great: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Nuvi-58LM- ... nüvi®+58LM
Another vote for a standalone GPS. My wife paid $10/month for GPS on her Verizon phone some years ago when a standalone GPS still cost $700 and it just didn't work very well, nowhere near as well as a dedicated GPS. IIRC it wouldn't work without a cell connection because it didn't store the maps locally. These days a GPS costs around $100 and there are no monthly expenses. When necessary, I take it out of the car and put it in my pocket.

Biggest problem is that the built-in rechargeable batteries in the Garmins haven't been great, so you get to a point where it still works fine in the car, but the out-of-car battery life is only twenty minutes...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:22 am

I'm the technology geek of the family, but I use an ancient flip phone without a text or data plan. I have a strong bias against signing up for anything involving recurring charges and I could never convince myself, the extra $420/year was worth the benefit. For me, it was mostly a question of looking up something immediately vs. looking it up later. There were very few situations which couldn't wait until I got home to my desktop or be handled with a traditional voice call.

Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:27 am

DaftInvestor wrote: This is highly dependent upon employer culture and manager attitude. I recently inherited a new team and several of the guys were planning their vacations and assuring me they would be available - I told them NOT to be available - but to set up a call with a peer who would cover for them when they are out and to be sure to set an out-of-office message that lets folks know who to reach in their absence. They were surprised as their prior manager told them they must be available and checking email at least once every 24 hours - I told them this was ridiculous - not our company policy - and vacations are a time to disconnect and unwind.

Good for you. Your management philosophy and company policy regarding vacation/time off are admirable and certain to lead to happy employees.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 am

I have a smartphone but don't use it much - mainly just when my wife and I go to the mall so we can find each other. :happy

Mine was a hand-me-down from a friend (iPhone 4s) and I have it on the cheapest Verizon based MVNO prepaid plan I could find which costs me $10 each 120 days. I pay for each item - minutes, text and data - out of my prepaid balance as I use it, although I typically don't go over the $10 allotment. However, if something comes up and I need more of anything I can add more dollars to accommodate those temporary needs. It's nice to know that I have the functionality if needed without wasting money the rest of the time.

My wife has an iPhone 4s that I purchased nearly new for her on eBay for around $300. She has a 14.95/mo Verizon based MVNO plan that gives her 250 minutes, 250 texts and 50mb of data. It works very well for her and, like me, if for some reason she temporarily needs more she can add to her balance to cover that.

Like the OP, as much as I have always enjoyed IT and like using it to enhance my life, I have a strong aversion to being ruled by it. As far as stigma or ridicule, to paraphrase Rhett....frankly I don't give a hoot. However, I am retired.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:33 am

I pay about $55 a month for two lines with Verizon. That's 750 anytime minutes and unlimited texting for two phones for the wife and . We just upgraded her phone to a newer flip phone. We paid $15 for it on Amazon.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:37 am

With plans for $35 and under a month, cost is no longer a reason to not own a smartphone. You can get a Moto E or G and Cricket wireless for quite cheap (our group/family plan is $20/line and the phones cost us $25-50ea).

OP - when you use your smartphone, you're not required to instantly join twitter, etc. Its still up to you to do that stuff. The convenience of having the internet available almost anywhere, can actually save you money and headaches. We use Gasbuddy on roadtrips to figure out the next cheap gas station to stop at. That can easily save $5 each time. Yelp for restaurant reviews or pricing. Etc. Listening to podcasts on our roadtrips is also a fav.

Last Saturday night we were up in Idyllwild, CA and after a day of climbing, we chose a restaurant based on yelp, used the phone to navigate there and spent the money we saved on not paying for a campsite, on dinner. We camped for free on National Forest Service land, and enjoyed the use of cellular data (which is rare on our camping trips) to watch the final episode of The Daily Show, on our phones, in our tent.

It sounds like those without smartphones like to brag about it. Similar to how I don't own a car with an automatic transmission. Or people who ride fixie bikes. Hipsters that embrace retro things for their irony. I miss a couple things about my old flip phones, but there's no comparison.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:49 am

We are like several who responded here. We are of the old school (78 & 80), and do not want to be connected to anyone other than by our choice. We have old clam shell phones that we carry with us basically for emergency purposes or contacting each other with questions if out shopping somewhere. About thirteen years ago we got our first phone through Verizon and later got a second so each one would have one if out separately. Many of our distant friends had Verizon service so we could call them without charges. One month upon receiving my monthly bill I noticed a charge of $0.60 for data. Didn't know what data was, nor how to use it, and sure as hell didn't want it so they blocked it for us. We don't want or need to be connected to the world as many younger folks do; we've done just fine for the past 78 and 80 years and hopefully for many more years.
Tom D.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 am

I have 4 smartphones: 1 with Windows 8.1, 1 with Android 4.4.2, 1 with Android 5.0, and 1 with Android 2.3.3.
None of them are on a service plan.

The first three were purchased so I can learn smartphone programming.

I have a Motorola flip phone with a number that is on my resume and a Nokia "cake" phone for personal calls.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:57 am

surfstar wrote:With plans for $35 and under a month, cost is no longer a reason to not own a smartphone.
+1

Never owned one because it wasn't worth the cost. My old call/text only phone costs $10/month -- hardly worth the savings.

Funny story: old job gave out on-call pagers! I was walking and this ~14 year old kid said "Is that a pager?"
Me: "Yes"
Kid: "My grandpa had one. That's why I know what it is."

Those things cost the employer $38/month.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:57 am

I'm thinkin' of gettin' me a couple of them dang things.

I guess the concern, especially with aging, is not being too far out of contact with however technology is trending as time goes on. There can be significant downsides to not being in the loop.

My main portable phone would still be a flip phone that does not even have a camera.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:58 am

MildlyEccentric wrote:I'm the technology geek of the family, but I use an ancient flip phone without a text or data plan. I have a strong bias against signing up for anything involving recurring charges and I could never convince myself, the extra $420/year was worth the benefit. For me, it was mostly a question of looking up something immediately vs. looking it up later. There were very few situations which couldn't wait until I got home to my desktop or be handled with a traditional voice call.
That cost sounds high. There are some really cheap smartphone data plans through companies like Consumer Cellular.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:29 am

My tendency to get lost is so bad my wife gave it a name. I suffer from Dysgeographea. I use a gps in my car and my smartphone to help out. I am really looking forward to see where I end up once the Altzheimers sets in.
As to the smart phone, I used a flip phone with a $15 a quarter plan for years because I was too cheap to pay for the data plan. That was back when you could not get anything for less than a 100 a month. The plans have come down a lot since then, and I now pay $35 a month for my smartphone. I used an ipod touch along with my flip phone for the apps. So you could always get an old touch, or get an old phone off ebay and not activate it, and use the phone without paying for the data plan. Or you could go with republic wireless where it is pretty cheap. The problem is the price of a phone, I would really like to have a nexus 6, but man that price.
Mike

Confused

Post by Confused » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am

Blanked for privacy
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 am

surfstar wrote:With plans for $35 and under a month, cost is no longer a reason to not own a smartphone.

I pay a lot less than $35 for my cell phone usage.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04 pm

DDMP20 wrote:Does anyone not own a smartphone? Although I am in IT I refuse to purchase a smartphone and pay for the data plan. I don't allow my life to be ruled by social media, "apps" or anything along those lines. I've got better things to do with my time and money. Has anyone experienced stigma or ridicule for not owning one?
A lot of people in IT do not have smart phones.

I did not until about 6 months ago when I found a tracfone that was an android and CDMA based (used a CDMA flip phone for better coverage in the less population regions of the country.)

My plan costs the same as my old flip phone, but adds texts and a small amount of data which does not subtract from voice minutes.
My average month costs after purchasing phone is under $9/month. ($100/yr.) though I think you can get even better deals online.
E.g. One year for $94 at:
http://shopcelldeals.com/collections/pr ... 00-minutes

I got my phone from Walmart, but QVC has a deal on it, HSN has sold out. The Walmart website had a nice feature where it checked
that the phone would work in zip codes that I typed in (one at a time).

http://www.qvc.com/LG-Tracfone-Black-An ... 6810.html

The customer service is probably understaffed to keep the price down, so I just don't call it.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Confused wrote:And I don't need a GPS because I know how to drive around.
I know how to drive around too. Give me a decent paper map and I'm happy as a clam. Good old-fashioned pilotage is a lost art these days, sadly.

That said, your phone's GPS app can still be very useful, especially on longer trips. If not for navigation, then for situational awareness.

Knowing where the traffic jams are. Knowing if it's worth trying to side-road your way out of a traffic jam or if it's better to just stick it out. Having a constantly-updated ETA. Knowing what restaurants, hotels, gas stations are at the next exit and whether it's worth stopping or hitting the exit after that. And so on...
Stay on target...

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:15 pm

flyingbison wrote:

and I pay $20 for: 2.5gb of high speed data, then unlimited slow speed use, unlimited texts and minutes. My Moto G (LTE) was $25 after rebate. Could be sold for $75+ easily.
:P

Confused

Post by Confused » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Blanked for privacy

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:27 pm

I held out against getting a smartphone for a long, long time. Just stubborn, and didn't want to be "one of those people" with their faces glued to their phones when out with friends, etc. I finally got an IPhone last fall. And, can I say, I love it. It has enriched my life in many ways.

1) Navigating, both while driving and when walking in an unfamiliar area. A Godsend while travelling.
2) Keeping in better touch with family/close friends. I never texted on my flip phone (25 cents per message). I now text with my siblings, nieces/nephew, friends from the West Coast...got immediate news of my new niece's birth last week, with pix. Skype...we called my brother in Long Island, free, from Japan this year, so we could all celebrate my other brother's 50th birthday together.
3) Instant info about restaurants, shops, etc. while out and about.
4) Calendar. Grocery lists. To do lists. All in one handy place.
5) Coordinating when meeting friends. "Hey, bus is running late, will be there in 10 minutes", etc.
6) Working virtually. I can check work emails, look up reports, call clients, while sitting at the park with my dog, instead of glued to my desk.
7) Cooking. I email recipes from my laptop based recipe organizer, and read them off my phone when cooking. Then use the timer to track cooking times.
8) Camera. So easy to shoot quick photos of happy events, beautiful vistas, etc.
9) My Fitness Pal. Helped me to lose 5 lbs this year.
10) Listening to Phillies games while on the go.
11) Checking real time subway closures, bus arrivals, traffic, etc.

I could go on, but will stop here.

Note: I do NOT keep my faced glued to my phone (I find people who do are usually on Facebook, which I don't use, or playing games). I don't pull it out when out with friends etc. unless I am expecting an important message, which isn't often. Still don't want to be "one of those people"!

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:28 pm

surfstar wrote:
flyingbison wrote:

and I pay $20 for: 2.5gb of high speed data, then unlimited slow speed use, unlimited texts and minutes. My Moto G (LTE) was $25 after rebate. Could be sold for $75+ easily.
You mentioned earlier that you are paying $20 per line as part of a group plan. The cheapest Cricket smartphone plan I can find available in my area is $45 a month.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:36 pm

flyingbison wrote:
surfstar wrote:
flyingbison wrote:

You mentioned earlier that you are paying $20 per line as part of a group plan. The cheapest Cricket smartphone plan I can find available in my area is $45 a month.
I thought we were trying to out save each other ;) :sharebeer

For a single line, the "basic" plan is $40 a month. But you sign up for auto-pay and get a $5 discount.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
I believe that is nationwide pricing.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Confused wrote:
JupiterJones wrote:Knowing where the traffic jams are. Knowing if it's worth trying to side-road your way out of a traffic jam or if it's better to just stick it out. Having a constantly-updated ETA. Knowing what restaurants, hotels, gas stations are at the next exit and whether it's worth stopping or hitting the exit after that. And so on...
I can see why that would be useful in some situations. The only long trip I ever make is driving the 700 miles to/from where my parents live. And I know that trip like the back of my hand, and I always stop at the same town right in the middle of the trip to get gas. At the same gas station every time, too. No stopping for food, just ten hours with one gas refill.

The one time we had car trouble on the trip, I used that very same gas station's phonebook to call a mechanic.

MathWizard wrote: E.g. One year for $94 at:
http://shopcelldeals.com/collections/pr ... 00-minutes
How do you get by on 400 minutes per year? That would last me under a week. Do you text a lot?
It's a triple minutes phone, so it's 1200 voice minutes + 1200 texts + 1200 MB of data, all counted separately.

I never use that many minutes, and neither does my wife, so we use a plan that costs less for low use.

We do still have a landline, which we prefer for long calls, so that may help in us using fewer cell minutes.

400 min. is nearly 7 hours. Are you sure you spend 7 hours on a phone in a week?

The phone allows wireless for the data connection, which I use almost exclusively.
I just the 3G cell data when I am in the car (as a passenger) or at an airport when I need to check on something, usually email.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:53 pm

surfstar wrote:
flyingbison wrote:
surfstar wrote:
flyingbison wrote:

I thought we were trying to out save each other ;) :sharebeer

For a single line, the "basic" plan is $40 a month. But you sign up for auto-pay and get a $5 discount.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
I believe that is nationwide pricing.
Ah, you're right - I misread the pricing chart. Still, my dumb phone costs me about $10 a month. :D

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 pm

For those that want a inexpensive smartphone I recommend the Tracfone LG L41c (aka LG Ultimate 2). It's a full-featured Android device, costs about $80 with another $80-$100 a year for minutes/data/text. Here's a thread on it: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... 29-reviews!

I rolled over the minutes I had on my Tracfone account and have over 2,000 minutes, data MBs, and text. I will never use them up, so just buy 90-day time additions at $20, the minutes/data of which get tripled.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:07 pm

No smartphone here. I have never had one. I do sometimes get weird looks about it, but who cares?

I am a CPA and I sit in front of a computer all day long, so why would I pay for a smart phone?

Johno

Post by Johno » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:23 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Confused wrote:And I don't need a GPS because I know how to drive around.
I know how to drive around too. Give me a decent paper map and I'm happy as a clam. Good old-fashioned pilotage is a lost art these days, sadly.

That said, your phone's GPS app can still be very useful, especially on longer trips. If not for navigation, then for situational awareness.

Knowing where the traffic jams are. Knowing if it's worth trying to side-road your way out of a traffic jam or if it's better to just stick it out. Having a constantly-updated ETA. Knowing what restaurants, hotels, gas stations are at the next exit and whether it's worth stopping or hitting the exit after that. And so on...
I also used atlas' back when there wasn't GPS but don't see a reason to do things the hard way when you can do them the easy way at trivial cost, and smartphones are very useful for other travelling stuff as said, where's the cheapest gas, where are recommended restaurants etc. The thing is though that there are a lot of gaps in data reception on long trips, at least with AT&T as I found recently on an almost 6k mile drive across/around the US. It's good to have to have the direct to satellite Garmin-type GPS unit for nav.

But at home the smartphone is indispensable to me, would never give it up. I don't phone much especially from outside the house, or text much, a non-smartphone is mainly dead weight to me except in emergencies. W/ smartphone OTOH I can for example draw Chinese characters I don't recognize on the drawing pad w/ my finger and it tells which one it is. That's nearly miraculous compared to using a character dictionary, though of course you can also use a character dictionary just like you can navigate with a paper map. Or when reading a book in French or Korean I can just tap unfamiliar words into the phone; it's also there when I try to actually speak those languages, very frustrating to me when I can't remember words. I know it's the same with other particular interests, and then stuff like being able to quickly review news, emails, etc when I wake up is convenient. Also having a decent camera that tiny with you all the time is useful (though maybe 'non smart' ones sometimes have that too). Like a lot of things, if saving a few bucks is one's holy grail OK, but the cost of a smartphone rounds to zero for me, no reason not to avail myself of the advantages even if they weren't huge, which to me they are.

'These modern kids (btw get off my lawn! :D )...' type attitude about cell phones seems to be more applicable to non-smartphones. Constant use of those tends to be pointless yacking, phone or text (though not always, some people need to be communicating constantly). Smartphones do a very wide range of very useful things.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 pm

What does the term "off the grid" mean to you? There are various levels integration to the social fabric of modern life, and despite some of the negative aspects, modern technology is a net benefit to me. The younger generation is so plugged in, sometimes it seems they're not in the real world and there may be harms, but other times, the efficiency attained from having everyone connected is incredible. The fleeting nature of some of the things that are done online (i.e. mySpace, Skype, Viber, Kakao Talk, Tango, etc.) is a sign that everyone is seeking and finding better ways to communicate.

Having to constantly respond to others is sometimes draining, but being able to instantly get information and decisions from others is very satisfying. We have to decide as a society how plugged in we are. Here is a recent graphic about cell phone etiquette around the world that is very apropos.

http://www.repairlabs.com/worldwide-phone-etiquette

Confused

Post by Confused » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Blanked for privacy

jingo

Post by jingo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:06 pm

I bought a Nokia Lumia for $20. It has 'HERE' maps you can use offline, and I use that for navigation without a data plan.
climber2020 wrote:
DDMP20 wrote:

I get lost walking around as well. I was strolling around San Francisco a couple years back and couldn't find the ocean. It's really bad.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:11 pm

My plan got so much cheaper when I traded my AT&T dumbphone for my Page plus iphone 4s at $80/year.
Smartphones don't have to be expensive.

MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm

I call my cell phone a 'dumb phone'. No camera, bluetooth, etc. Originally I was against a smartphone because of cost but my employer has clamped down and no phones with cameras and/or bluetooths are allowed on campus anymore. I want my kids to be able to reach me 98% of the work day so that is my #1 factor now for not upgrading.

tony44

Post by tony44 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:24 pm

I have a Kyocera flip phone with unlimited text and talk for $30 a month including taxes. It matches my 2004 Jeep with 250k miles and my 2003 Buick LaSabre quite well. A love moseying along without a care in the world in either vehicle and my flip phone. A lot of people I know think I'm having a rough time financially. Little do they know...

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:38 pm

No smartphone yet. I have an LG ENV2 with the qwerty keyboard. I text more than talk, but right now, no need for apps. Like a previous poster said, when the time comes where the current technology requires it, I will make the move. Another reason for the delay is watching how others interact with their phones, and I do not want to be like them.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Nope. My car is smarter than me. The TV is smarter than me. My clock radio is smarter than me. I have to have something to look down on.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.