Good Solo Vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Andymoler58

Good Solo Vacation

Post by Andymoler58 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas for places to go for a solo vacation where I can have a good time and meet some single people?

Taking a girl with me strains my budget and it's ended up being too much of a liability lately.

Is there anywhere in Europe or Central America worth going for a week or so in March of next year?

Let me know.

Re: Good Solo Vacation

Post by 123 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Amsterdam or London if you just want to stay in one city the entire time. No real language issues in either place.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:02 pm

Two words: Cougar Cruise

:twisted:

traveler90

Post by traveler90 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Berlin is quite cheap for a European city

duffman12

Post by duffman12 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey mate I know it's not in the are you want to go but maybe I can sway ya! :D I just came back from 5 weeks in Hong Kong, Korea, Japan and Taiwan. Personally (just my opinion) I would highly recommend Taiwan and Hong Kong (Not that Korea and Japan weren't awesome!) But for a single aussie bloke in those two countries I had an absolute blast and run amok ! The weather around March is also meant to be awesome as well. Let me know if you have any questions
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:02 am

How about a sports camp. I used to go to tennis camps which were great fun.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:40 am

Thailand?

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

March?

Spring Break!

:P

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:55 am

Camping and hiking, small chance of meeting others but great solo vacation.
How about Yellowstone

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:05 am

Cancun for spring break, obviously.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Try to find a wingman. You don't have to pay for someone else's trip, but try to find someone who will pay their own way and who shares enough interests such that you can agree on a trip location and be compatible enough to hang out for at least part of the trip (you don't have to spend every waking hour with him, or her.)

Even if you don't currently have someone in your circle of friends who would be good for this, in this age of social media, online forums and meetups and the like, I would assume there are channels for this?

tony44

Post by tony44 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Skiing in the Rockies gets my vote

3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:47 am

psteinx wrote:Try to find a wingman. You don't have to pay for someone else's trip, but try to find someone who will pay their own way and who shares enough interests such that you can agree on a trip location and be compatible enough to hang out for at least part of the trip (you don't have to spend every waking hour with him, or her.)

Even if you don't currently have someone in your circle of friends who would be good for this, in this age of social media, online forums and meetups and the like, I would assume there are channels for this?

Search Reddit for solo travel, there is a whole sub reddit dedicated to this. I just got back from Spain and it was great for solo travel. Barcelona especially.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:57 am

Maybe if you took a woman instead of a girl you'd have better luck.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 am

Andymoler58 wrote:....and meet some single people?
..... in March of next year?
I took my family to Ireland in May a while back when my son was 17. We mostly stayed at hostels and I expected that my son would be able to to meet some younger people in the hostels. What we found was that the vast majority of the people in the hostels were retired or middle aged couples from other countries and very few Europeans since they tend to take their vacations in the summer.

Europe is pretty far north so it will still be pretty chilly in most places in March, but probably too late for things like skiing.

If you wanted to see something in Europe that is certainly possible to do solo travel there and have a great time but meeting single people would be a challenge in March. Your travel time would also eat up a large part of such a short trip too.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:36 pm

I don't really get the question. Whether a solo vacation is "good" is more about the traveler and less about the destination itself.

You can have a great solo vacation pretty much anywhere if you have a mind to.

Although if you think you might one day not be traveling solo, then maybe the best strategy would be to pick a place you've always wanted to go, but that you can foresee a hypothetical future travel partner probably not being interested in at all. Now's your chance!
Stay on target...