My 2013 Subaru Foresting is getting only 15 MPG around city. Is this low?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mac_guy

My 2013 Subaru Foresting is getting only 15 MPG around city. Is this low?

Post by mac_guy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:28 pm

I bought a new 2013 (non-turbo) Subaru Forester at the end of 2012. It is still a relatively low mileage car - about 25000 miles. Currently, I am only getting about 15 MPG when I drive mainly around my suburban town. I verify this by checking both the built in gas mileage meter and calculating the average when I fill up the tank.

I always use 87 octane gas. It is the summer now, so I do use the A/C frequently. When I drive on the highway, I get about 22 MPG.

Is my gas mileage unusually low for this car? I have kept up with all the recommended services.

I really like the car overall - I live in the NE and love the way it handles snowy roads and I always feel very safe. However, I am just really disappointed with the gas mileage. I'm also kicking myself because the next model year had a CVT transmission that greatly improved gas mileage.

So, is 15 MPG the penalty for having a true AWD vehicle?

Philliesfan

Re: My 2013 Subaru Foresting is getting only 15 MPG around city. Is this low?

Post by Philliesfan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:39 pm

I own a 2008 forester. 15mpg is on the low side of normal for city driving. A large part of the poor fuel economy is the AWD system. The other problem is the ancient four speed transmission the forester used prior to introduction of the CVT.

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:53 pm

My guess is your driving is to blame.
I know nothing!

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 pm

LAlearning wrote:My guess is your driving is to blame.
That very well may be true. Any advice on how to drive more fuel efficiently?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Drive at or 5 mph under posted speeds, accelerate less aggressively, and look ahead.. Is the traffic light going to change before you get close? Go ahead and coast till you get there. Hard braking and fast starts are the bane of good fuel economy. It adds up, and you'll often find you're catching up to the speeders at each light. I get a laugh out of watching some V8 pony car or Expedition waste an 1/8th tank of gas passing me and then softly pulling up next along side them at the next light.

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:08 pm

mac_guy wrote:Any advice on how to drive more fuel efficiently?
If you have an "Inst" (instantaneous) setting on your trip computer for fuel usage, you can leave it on and it will tell you your current MPG, second by second. By observing your instant mileage and how you are actually driving at the moment is a good way to train yourself to be a better - or at least more economic driver.

My wife has a 2015 Subaru Legacy and it has a dash display that shows when she is using fuel wisely (green) or when she is giving it too much "push" (yellow). It probably works like the old vacuum gauges from years ago that were directly connected to the intake manifold to indicate if you were driving in what was then marked on the gauge as "economy mode".

- Ron

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:11 pm

“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:33 pm

15/22 is pretty low for that car. The EPA ratings are 21/27.

The reason for such low results might be some combination of driver influences and/or vehicle issues

Driver influences can easily decrease mileage by up to 30%. Are you an aggressive accelerator, or do you ease into acceleration? Do you anticipate traffic flow, or are you a tailgater who brakes at the last minute? Do you drive at the speed limit or 25% over it? All of these factors and others can have significant effects on fuel economy.

While the mileage might be fairly low, there could be issues affecting fuel economy. Combustion efficiency is usually a function of fuel, air, and spark. Do you use top tier gas or some off-brand station. While fuel system cleaners are generally not necessary, excessive contamination and lower grade gasoline can result in fuel delivery issues. When is the last time you replaced the air filter? While unlikely, fuel/air/spark issues can result in plug fouling. There are a raft of parts and system failures that can affect fuel economy.

So there are three possibilities: These are really expected results for this car model regardless of the EPA ratings. You can influence this by adopting a more efficient driving model. There is some operational problem with the vehicle. If you don't believe it is the first two, I suggest you have the vehicle checked out at a dealer.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:48 pm

This probably isn't your problem, but I'll throw it out there. My mileage dropped on my CRV and I couldn't figure it out. No check engine warning lights that indicated a bad sensor and all the usual suspects seemed to check out, so I was mystified. By accident I was checking the left rear wheel for some reason after driving the car. I touched the brake rotor and nearly burned my fingers off. When I had this checked out at the garage, found out the brake caliper on that side had seized and I'd been driving around that way for awhile without really noticing. Had that caliper replaced and mileage went back to normal. Strange problem, but might be something you can check out easily with the touch test on your brake rotors after driving.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Spirit Rider: you should read the consumer reports on myths of fuel economy. You are incorrect on where you buy your gas as well as the air filter.
The rest is fine.
I know nothing!

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 pm

It likely isn't the culprit (or the only culprit) but have you checked your tire inflation recently?
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:15/22 is pretty low for that car. The EPA ratings are 21/27.

The reason for such low results might be some combination of driver influences and/or vehicle issues

Driver influences can easily decrease mileage by up to 30%. Are you an aggressive accelerator, or do you ease into acceleration? Do you anticipate traffic flow, or are you a tailgater who brakes at the last minute? Do you drive at the speed limit or 25% over it? All of these factors and others can have significant effects on fuel economy.

While the mileage might be fairly low, there could be issues affecting fuel economy. Combustion efficiency is usually a function of fuel, air, and spark. Do you use top tier gas or some off-brand station. While fuel system cleaners are generally not necessary, excessive contamination and lower grade gasoline can result in fuel delivery issues. When is the last time you replaced the air filter? While unlikely, fuel/air/spark issues can result in plug fouling. There are a raft of parts and system failures that can affect fuel economy.

So there are three possibilities: These are really expected results for this car model regardless of the EPA ratings. You can influence this by adopting a more efficient driving model. There is some operational problem with the vehicle. If you don't believe it is the first two, I suggest you have the vehicle checked out at a dealer.
My driving style probably is a cause of the problem. To a limited extent, I do think I have some of the negative driving habits you describe. One big problem is that up until now, I really have not factored fuel efficiency into my driving style.

I actually noticed my low fuel economy as soon as I bought the vehicle and I actually spoke to the dealership about it. They told me that my gas mileage will actually go up as the engine gets more use. They told me when I hit 10,000 miles, I would start seeing an improvement. I think I did see a very small improvement as the car aged, but it was quite minimal.

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Dimitri wrote:It likely isn't the culprit (or the only culprit) but have you checked your tire inflation recently?
I do check tire pressure not infrequently. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Do you mostly drive short distances with a cold engine?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/planning.shtml

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:32 pm

TravelGeek wrote:Do you mostly drive short distances with a cold engine?

That is also something that I do frequently.

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:09 am

Older than 2014/15 Subarus are notorious fuel burners. My friend's 2008 Impreza gets 18 mpg, and that's a combination of highway and city. He's on his third one and they've all been like that. Full time AWD does raise fuel consumption. Subaru has addressed the problem and now, according to Consumer Reports, they get good MPGs.
Last edited by Freddy on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

iceport

Post by iceport » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:21 am

15 mpg seems abnormally low. With a 2.5 L Subaru you should be able to get mid-20s, or low 20s at worst.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:05 am

mac_guy wrote:
Dimitri wrote:It likely isn't the culprit (or the only culprit) but have you checked your tire inflation recently?
I do check tire pressure not infrequently. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.
You should not avoid checking your tire pressure not infrequently, and while I do not disagree that that's not the problem, it is not an infrequent culprit or at least contributor to not getting good gas mileage.

If you cannot explain it with not driving longer distances or not going easy with the pedal, it's not unexpected that there's not normal function somewhere.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:32 am

I have a 2014 Forester 2.5i & average 24-27 mpg.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:08 am

In terms of getting realtime feedback on your driving, you might want to consider Automatic.
mac_guy wrote:
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

Groundhog

Post by Groundhog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am

Looking at Fuelly.com for a 2013 Subaru Forester (non-turbo) you are definitely on the low end of the scale.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forest ... bmodel_id=

My spouse has a 2008 Legacy 2.5i and gets in the low 20's with mostly city driving. As others mentioned the CVT makes a big difference beginning in 2014. My 2014 Forester is right around 30 mpg for 23000 miles.

rgarling

Post by rgarling » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:16 am

inbox788 wrote:
mac_guy wrote:
You should not avoid checking your tire pressure not infrequently, and while I do not disagree that that's not the problem, it is not an infrequent culprit or at least contributor to not getting good gas mileage.

If you cannot explain it with not driving longer distances or not going easy with the pedal, it's not unexpected that there's not normal function somewhere.
A lot of "negativity" here. After a pass through a Boolean logic converter...

Have you checked your tire inflation recently?

I do check tire pressure frequently. It's not the problem.

You should check your tire pressure frequently, and while I agree that it is not the problem, it is a frequent contributor to poor gas mileage. If you can't explain it with short trips or "heavy foot", it is expected that there's something wrong (mechanically).

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34 am

Philliesfan wrote:I own a 2008 forester. 15mpg is on the low side of normal for city driving. A large part of the poor fuel economy is the AWD system. The other problem is the ancient four speed transmission the forester used prior to introduction of the CVT.

Unless it is stick the 2013 Forester has a CVT.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:35 am

Philliesfan wrote:I own a 2008 forester. 15mpg is on the low side of normal for city driving. A large part of the poor fuel economy is the AWD system. The other problem is the ancient four speed transmission the forester used prior to introduction of the CVT.

Unless it is stick the 2013 Forester that the OP owns has a CVT.[/quote]
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:29 am

mac_guy wrote:
Make sure your tires are properly inflated at manufacturer specifications.
Avoid jack-rabbit starts and sudden braking, if you can avoid it.
Accelerate slowly and smoothly.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:23 am

I have noticed a significant difference between 87 and 93 octane in some vehicles I've driven. In my older Camry it was consistently ~5mpg difference. But I've also seen some cars that fuel type made no difference. If the vehicle requires 91 and you're using 87 that could be the cause. But driving style has as much if not more influence on mpg that fuel.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 am

mac_guy wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:Do you mostly drive short distances with a cold engine?

That is also something that I do frequently.

This is a huge factor in mpg. Why many people with real winters (not us), see huge mpg hits in the wintertime. Engines are most efficient when at operating temp. This can take a good 20 mins of around town driving.

Consider a hybrid or EV for your next car if you drive lots of city miles. But if you don't drive a whole lot of miles (25k since late 2012 is pretty low), mpg isn't a large factor in your total cost of ownership.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:02 am

Aside from short runs in cold weather including idling the car a long time before driving and a brake problem (but it is summer now), is there any chance you are a "two foot" driver? That means one foot on the gas and other on the brake all the time.

Does your state have an emissions check and do you pass it? If there is an engine problem all that gas has to be going somewhere inefficient.

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:17 am

dbr wrote:Aside from short runs in cold weather including idling the car a long time before driving and a brake problem (but it is summer now), is there any chance you are a "two foot" driver? That means one foot on the gas and other on the brake all the time.

Does your state have an emissions check and do you pass it? If there is an engine problem all that gas has to be going somewhere inefficient.
Oh I'm definitely not a two foot driver. My state does have a required emission test that I've always passed. I've never really had to do any major service for this car. I have the oil changes done on the manufacture's schedule (every 7500 miles.) I change the engine air filter (as well as cabin air filter) myself.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:18 am

kjvmartin wrote:...accelerate less aggressively...
I want to throw a curve ball into this discussion:

Car and Driver reported on an extensive BMW study a number of years ago. It showed the gentle acceleration was NOT the best mileage solution. The key to mileage is the getting the transmission into higher gears promptly. Accelerating briskly to get into top gear earlier saves more gas than "feather-footing" the accelerator.

The best method with an automatic transmission was to accelerate briskly and then let up on the gas to force early up-shifts into each successive gear. This is too much bother for most drivers. But getting into the highest gear (whatever that gear may be for a particular road speed) quickly is more fuel efficient than accelerating so slowly that you spend a lot of time in first, second, third, etc. Spending time in the low gears kills fuel economy.

BTW, this is also the reason why 6 and 8 speed transmissions yield higher mileage. They upshift more quickly and can operate in-between traditional gears (a road speed that would have kept the car in second gear on an old 3 speed transmission can now be in fifth on a 6 speed).
Last edited by David Jay on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:20 am

DDMP20 wrote:

Unless it is stick the 2013 Forester has a CVT.
I don't think that's correct. You may be thinking about Outback. I have an automatic trans 2013 Forester (non-turbo). It is definitely not CVT. I remember the dealer calling me in 2013 telling me that the new 2014 Forester with a CVT is coming out and offering me a fixed price trade in if I wanted to upgrade to the 2014. He made sure to extol the benefits of the CVT.

Philliesfan

Post by Philliesfan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:28 am

DDMP20 wrote:

Unless it is stick the 2013 Forester that the OP owns has a CVT.
[/quote]

According to edmunds, the 2013 forester had a four speed automatic.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/ ... uv&ps=used

I would agree with all of the posters who have cited your driving style as a main factor in your low-normal mpg. As a forester owner I can tell you that 15 mpg is not crazy for city driving with the A/C on. However, you should see improvement if you go lighter on the accelerator and coast up to stop signs/red lights.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:38 am

Have you checked to see if you are carrying an oversized canoe, windboard, or cargo carrier on the top of your car?

I ask because about 75% of all Subarus that I see on the road seem to have one of those items attached to it, and I wonder if the owner(s) have forgotten about the item being there.

kewper

Post by kewper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Not really an answer but i have to brag that get 31-34 mpg on my 2007 Forester, manual transmission. I just practice some basic fuel efficient driving techniques (little braking, less than 65 on highways, coasting down hills in neutral.

vshun

Post by vshun » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Outback 10 here (CVT), I average 25 (winter)/ 27 summer mpg when driving from suburb to DC in traffic. Suburb driving surprisingly is less. Looks like distance travelled has bigger impact than several other factors already mentioned (tire inflation, etc), first 5-10 miles mileage really drops low and when you travel further it picks up. Especially affects mpg in winter. If OP distance is pretty short mpg like 2-3 miles per trip, plus some hills when the car is warming up, it could explain 15 mpg.

Quotia

Post by Quotia » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:28 pm

vshun wrote:Outback 10 here (CVT), I average 25 (winter)/ 27 summer mpg when driving from suburb to DC in traffic. Suburb driving surprisingly is less. Looks like distance travelled has bigger impact than several other factors already mentioned (tire inflation, etc), first 5-10 miles mileage really drops low and when you travel further it picks up. Especially affects mpg in winter. If OP distance is pretty short mpg like 2-3 miles per trip, plus some hills when the car is warming up, it could explain 15 mpg.
I agree; I've found this is absolutely the case with my 2014 Forester. My normal daily 2-mile trip to the Metro station and back gets atrocious mileage (15-16 in the winter, 18-19 summer), but if I'm driving around a bit longer, it improves significantly.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:36 pm

The transmission isn't the big difference, the change from the EJ25 2.5 litre to the FA20 toyota influenced 2.0L engine is the difference. We went from an 08 outback that got 22mpg average to a 13 crosstrek that gets high 20's average.

The turbo subarus with si drive can do far better. I had an 08 Legacy GT and averaged 27 mpg when I ran 87 octane in I mode and 24 mpg with 93 octane in I mode run 3 tanks each to allow the computer to relearn.

Question: do you brake with your left foot? If you do, stop it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Question: do you brake with your left foot? If you do, stop it.
That is one thing I don't think I've ever done.

Lebowski

Post by Lebowski » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:48 pm

I have a 2011 Forester and get similar mileage, doing city driving on my daily commute in bumper to bumper traffic -about 3.3 miles to work in 20 minutes. I get about 30 mpg on highway trips. I'd buy a prius next time if you will primarily do city driving.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:07 pm

It seems low to me. I used to have a 1999 Subaru Forester and I got about the same mileage as our minivan--around 22 mpg IIRC.

But, if all you are doing is driving around the city, then maybe that is the reason. I now have a different car--which gave me pretty good gas mileage when I was driving back and forth to work--probably about 32 mpg. But, after I retired the mileage went way down. One reason was I wasn't driving it very much (I was filling up the tank every month or two) and the other reason was I wasn't going very far and only in the city, so I was only getting about 20-22 mpg.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:08 pm

kjvmartin wrote:Drive at or 5 mph under posted speeds,
:oops:

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:56 pm

sharpjm wrote:I have noticed a significant difference between 87 and 93 octane in some vehicles I've driven. In my older Camry it was consistently ~5mpg difference. But I've also seen some cars that fuel type made no difference. If the vehicle requires 91 and you're using 87 that could be the cause. But driving style has as much if not more influence on mpg that fuel.
Fuel type has no effect on MPG, so yes.
I know nothing!

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:05 pm

LAlearning wrote:
sharpjm wrote:I have noticed a significant difference between 87 and 93 octane in some vehicles I've driven. In my older Camry it was consistently ~5mpg difference. But I've also seen some cars that fuel type made no difference. If the vehicle requires 91 and you're using 87 that could be the cause. But driving style has as much if not more influence on mpg that fuel.
Fuel type has no effect on MPG, so yes.
Fuel type can and does have an effect on mpg in some vehicles. It depends on whether or not the car's computer is capable of adjusting ignition timing and fuel flow rate to a large enough of a degree to have an impact. In this case, making blanket statements is ultimately incorrect.

oc4boxer

Post by oc4boxer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:13 pm

It depends a lot on what you mean by "city" too. I drive in LA traffic, so the city mpg on my Outback is way lower than estimated. It is spot on for highway driving though, so I'm not concerned.

How is your highway mileage?

whomever

Post by whomever » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Not a Subaru, but maybe applicable: I know someone who had the coolant temp sensor fail. The result was that the engine control computer always thought it was warming up, and it enriched the fuel mixture, like chokes did back in the day. Unlike when you left an old fashioned manual choke on, there were no driveability changes - the only symptom was reduced mileage. No engine check light, no nothing.

This would also affect highway mileage, so if both highway and town mileage are down you might investigate similar things (as well as dragging brakes, ...).

RoC

Post by RoC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:50 pm

That MPG is low for the vehicle. Unless you're flying around, flooring the car to get it started and then slamming the brakes to stop at the last moment, that mileage is low. When you say city MPG, are you talking about city-city mileage because I've been in cities like NY and Washington DC which are bad, and I've been in cities like Tuscon where traffic is nothing compared to what I'm used to but it's still technically a city. I have the same model Forester, just a little older than yours, and I would have to be in brutal bumper to bumper traffic to get down that low, in most normal city driving I'm getting 18-22 and on the highway I'll get 27-32. Like I said, I'd have to be in some brutal traffic for my mileage to average 15 mpg. I drive about 60/40 Highway/City and I average around 24 mpg.

Is this consistent, or was it just a trip? Over how long of a duration would you say you were averaging that low mileage? How bad is the traffic you have to deal with?

I suspect there's something, but it's difficult to diagnose with one symptom like that, especially when there could be so many different causes for it.

iceport

Post by iceport » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:53 pm

whomever wrote:Not a Subaru, but maybe applicable: I know someone who had the coolant temp sensor fail. The result was that the engine control computer always thought it was warming up, and it enriched the fuel mixture, like chokes did back in the day. Unlike when you left an old fashioned manual choke on, there were no driveability changes - the only symptom was reduced mileage. No engine check light, no nothing.

This would also affect highway mileage, so if both highway and town mileage are down you might investigate similar things (as well as dragging brakes, ...).
^^^^Wow, something like this sounds entirely plausible. So far, I haven't read any other replies that would come close to producing the 10 mpg deficit I think the OP experiences.

My 2008 Impreza Outback Sport has averaged, over 7 well-recorded years, 27.3 mpg. Yes, it's a smaller, lighter car, but similar 2.5L engine. A co-worker told me her Forester of a similar age to yours gets 25 mpg. If really pressed, I could envision a combination of short trips, city traffic, with the A/C on resulting in 20-22 mpg. But unless there's a real problem with the car (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.), I can't imagine how you could only get 15 mpg in a Forester.

I'd seriously look into the coolant temperature sensor possibility if I were you.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

wander

Post by wander » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:56 pm

15 MPG is pretty low for Subaru Foresting. At new condition, it should be 21 and 27 mpg for city and highway respectively. It should be still the same.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 pm

This discussion would do honor to the Magliozzi brothers (Tom RIP).

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:32 pm

This thread would do honor to the Magliozzi brothers (Tom RIP).