iPad - usefulness?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TresBelle65

iPad - usefulness?

Post by TresBelle65 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:07 am

I own a smartphone, Kindle reader and laptop

I recently bought an iPad to add to my arsenal - mostly because I like Apple products and I was curious to see if it might be a better fit for reading or mobile computing.

Recently, I found that my smartphone works much better for mobile banking and my Kindle works better for reading (no glare and not as heavy)...so now I'm wondering why I even have the iPad LOL. I'm in this crazy situation where I wish my Kindle were lighter and bigger and more friendly for magazine or newspaper use (not just Amazon Kindle books) and my phone were a bit bigger to be more user friendly for app usage. Oh and I should mention that despite several attempts to use my WSJ subscription on iPad - still trying to figure how to get it to work.

I'm not likely at all to use the iPad for gaming or to watch movies on a small screen. I'd rather read in airport lounges than watch movies.

What do you most often use your iPad for?

thanks

hicabob

Re: iPad - usefulness?

Post by hicabob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 am

I gave mine to my daughter after a month or so. I too prefer the laptop + kindle + phone combo which makes the ipad redundant for me. Most tablet usage I observe appears to be people playing games with them.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 am

I use it as my single device - mobile apps, kindle reader and email. I carry a tiny phone (4S) to talk on.

If I was carrying a kindle reader, a laptop and a huge cellphone then I would not have a use for an iPad.

I much prefer typing emails on the iPad keyboard than trying to type on a phone. The keys are almost laptop sized.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:31 am

I don't own an iPad, but my brother does and thus, being the Tech Guy, I am constantly asked to fix issues, update it, etc.

The one thing that iPad is great for is children's apps. Many of them don't exist on the Google Play store (and I'm an Android guy). I am looking at buying an iPad for my toddler for learning apps and also as the device has excellent manufacturer support. The only thing that irks me is that I can't have multi-user logins on the iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3. MacRumors says that Apple is working on this.

My older Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 can accommodate multi-user logins so I can set app permissions and time limits for my kids. Apple, C'mon!

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:43 am

TresBelle65 wrote:I'm in this crazy situation where I wish my Kindle were lighter and bigger and more friendly for magazine or newspaper use (not just Amazon Kindle books) and my phone were a bit bigger to be more user friendly for app usage.
Maybe consider a Kindle Fire instead of the iPad. I read magazines on my Fire via Zinio. Also, the Fire is Android-based so you can probably use most of the apps you like.

-Steph

just frank

Post by just frank » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 am

My wife just downsized her old iPad to a iPad mini. Shoe thought she would carry/purse the old one, but it was never light enough. She really only uses it for stupid video games, and checking her email.

Myself, I am happy with an iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro. No tablet needed.

I personally think that as laptops approach the price/weight of tablets (think MacAir or Chromebooks), and phones grow into phablets (like the iPhone 6+) the market for tablets will fade. iPad sales have been weakening for the last couple years.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:56 am

I love my iPad and use it daily for business and personal.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:03 am

Since I bought my MacBook Pro last year I've not used my iPad very much. I also got a iPhone 6+. However, I will take my iPad with me on trips. I enjoy watching the news and movies on the iPad. My laptop is to too heavy to take and my iPhone is too small. It is certainly a first world problem.
Last edited by Leif on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:04 am

TresBelle65 wrote:I recently bought an iPad to add to my arsenal - mostly because I like Apple products and I was curious to see if it might be a better fit for reading or mobile computing.

Recently, I found that my smartphone works much better for mobile banking and my Kindle works better for reading (no glare and not as heavy)...so now I'm wondering why I even have the iPad LOL. I'm in this crazy situation where I wish my Kindle were lighter and bigger and more friendly for magazine or newspaper use (not just Amazon Kindle books) and my phone were a bit bigger to be more user friendly for app usage. Oh and I should mention that despite several attempts to use my WSJ subscription on iPad - still trying to figure how to get it to work.

I'm not likely at all to use the iPad for gaming or to watch movies on a small screen. I'd rather read in airport lounges than watch movies.

thanks
We keep it on the coffee table or end tables and use it for casual perusal of content on the couch, not for any real work. If you look at the original Steve Jobs keynote where the product was introduced, back in 2010 methinks, that's what Steve promoted it for as well. He thought it might be useful for you in that regard, and he was brilliantly perceptive in that insight.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:10 am

I have a tablet but I only use it for casual use (email, quick browse). I would never use a mobile device for banking. My phone is where the 2FA text arrives. I am not about to expose the first factor (my password) on the same device.

In fact, I am going the other way -- experimenting with a Linux VM on my desktop computer to completely isolate financial transactions on a dedicated machine.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

rakamaka

Post by rakamaka » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 am

Is any TV productive? NO..
Is any iPad productive? NO...
Beautiful screen cannot produce beautiful product/document/graphics.
Try Surface. It is way more productive than anything ipad or android.

investnoob

Post by investnoob » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:36 am

I have an iphone, kindle reader, ipad, and desktop computer.

I used to browse the web on my desktop computer. Now, 95% of my web browsing is done on my ipad. I use the computer only for specific pc games.

I use the ipad as follows: 70% web browsing, and 20% streaming video to my apple tv or my chromecast device.
I read books using the kindle reader. Much more comfortable.
Not really sure why I have a smart phone anymore. I keep it mainly for texting and ordering uber drivers or gps. I could probably get by with a much cheaper phone.

If you use your phone for web browsing, and don't stream stuff from the ipad - it might not be that useful to you. I prefer to browse the web on a 10 inch screen rather than a 5 inch screen. But maybe you have a 6.5 inch screen on your phone and that works for you.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:46 am

hicabob wrote:I gave mine to my daughter after a month or so. I too prefer the laptop + kindle + phone combo which makes the ipad redundant for me. Most tablet usage I observe appears to be people playing games with them.
+1

I mostly either use my phone or my laptop. I've had an iPad for about 2 years and haven't really used it. Actually considering selling it

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:49 am

abuss368 wrote:I love my iPad and use it daily for business and personal.
I love my iPad, and my wife loves her iPad mini.

While I have an iPhone 5 and a MacBook, both of which I use every day, it's the iPad that I use most for some reason, that reason being that I can carry it to the kitchen table, bed, LaZboy, out on the balcony, music gigs (just the right size to read lead sheets), and working lunches. I bought an inexpensive BlueTooth keyboard and occasionally use it, but not often.

When I took my cross country 30 day Amtrak trip last year, I rarely dragged out the MacBook since the iPad was more convenient.

I'm on a 250 day Duolingo streak--all on the iPad. In addition, I've read a page of Talmud in English every day (Daf Yomi) for the past 3+ years-- on the iPad. My Tabata Timer exercise app, with workout music, is on the iPad. It's great for doing all these tasks when I travel. I'm currently reading Robinson Crusoe on it.

Sure, it does not fit in my pocket like a phone. But it's just big enough without being too big. Were I to replace it, maybe I'd get the Mini.

YMMV. :wink:
Last edited by Jazztonight on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:49 am

I use mine when I'm watching TV. Also, when I'm at a hotel or something, I use it to browse the web while watching a movie on my laptop on my bed (or vice versa).

Very useful apps for banking and such.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:52 am

We have a pair of tablets provided by work, an Ipad and a Microsoft Surface. The only thing they get used for is for my daughter to watch her videos on Netflix before bed, and even then, half the time it ends up being our phones which is the tool of choice. While others feel they are indispensable, IMO tablets are one step above smart watches in functionality - if we did not get them for free, there is no way we'd have them.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:54 am

I think the iPad is a lot of fun, but I am probably not going to buy any future versions. Instead, at the size of a tablet, I prefer more flexibility than what Apple offers in their ultra-proprietary, closed system. For instance, no USB, must use iTunes to transfer files, etc, mobile Safari not nearly as good as a proper desktop browser. Instead, for a tablet, I think it makes more sense to get something more powerful and flexible like the Surface Pro series (3 is awesome, 4 will hopefully be much better), which is more like a laptop than a tablet, but with all the UI friendliness of a tablet.

Thrifty1

Post by Thrifty1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:56 am

I use my iPad to: read the Chicago Tribune, look at my emails, look at favorite web sites such as the Boglehead site, stream Netflix content, view any item on my phone (such as photos) in a larger size. My favorite apps are Chicago Tribune, Dropbox, Houzz, Mint. I pretty much use it instead of my laptop, which takes forever to start with updates and all, and which is bulky to tote around the house.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:06 am

I've tried to use mine for various purposes, both business and personal. Where it has settled into its niche for me as the ideal device is primarily in personal usage, with the most beneficial applications being Netflix/Amazon Video while lying in bed and/or traveling, web browsing/referencing/fiddling while playing video games or occasionally while on the couch watching TV, and playing simple games while on an airplane or stuck in a hotel room. For any of those purposes, it is much better than any other device I own (or could purchase, aside from similar tablets). I do also use it occasionally for cloud-based note-taking programs to sync up with my more capable computers. Perhaps I would find another use or two if I were willing to pay for another data plan, but that's a non-starter for me.

My next work "laptop" will be a Surface Pro 3, and I'm hoping that device will satisfy the 'pick up and drag to meetings for efficient note-taking' desire that I have.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:10 am

I use mine every day, since I receive the WSJ, NYT, and various magazines on it. I also do some book reading on it, though less than the periodicals. I also use it quite a lot for email, checking the weather/radar, web surfing, messaging. I also stream music from it (Pandora, Apple Music, the synced portions of my library) to wireless speakers. When traveling I like to download a couple of movies onto it for viewing on the plane.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:11 am

My wife loves her iPad, she plays games on it. I bought a Barnes and Noble Nook for myself, the HD+ larger one. Used it for a short time and grew tired of it. It is very slow and has an ancient version of android. Went to Gazelle, a site that buys used equipment and they don't even want it. They do buy Apple products and some Samsung. I think iPad is a much superior tablet to the Nook. I like Apple products but don't like iTunes. I have an iPod touch 5th generation. Went to great effort to get the album art all set up. After iTunes and ios upgrades, my album art is screwed up again. Shows microphones and musical notes for many albums. Music still plays and podcasts still work, so the iPod is functional. Never could get album artwork on the Nook and unfortunately it would show up under pictures. I do love computers, we have three laptops, two running Win 10 and one MacBook Pro running Yosemite and an old desktop also updated to Win 10. I guess I am a sucker for technology.
Last edited by SpringMan on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 am

Samsung tablet here :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:16 am

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:21 am

Though I have a laptop and smartphone I use my iPad 98% of the time.

Reading, web browsing, research, email, news, sports, weather, traffic updates, Bogleheads, etc.

I've almost totally migrated to the iPad.

Everyone is different.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:26 am

my wife and I have iPads.
we both really like them.
she uses her iPad for email, Facebook, internet stuff.
i use mine for anything on the net.
i also have a Surface Pro; just upgraded to W10.

i am anxiously awaiting the newer iPad to see what changes are made.
for me, it really should have at least 1 USB port; hopefully 2.
if no usb, i will probably be heading over to Surface Pro 4.

I am also awaiting the Surface Pro 4; kinda curious what new stuff it will have on it.

I like my older SPro because it has a USB port, but the screen is too small.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

I bought it only because I spent a lot of time on planes at the time and wanted to carry around less stuff with me (I used to carry physical books and magazines).

Since then it's evolved a bit, I swapped ti for an ipad mini (again, portibility was king) and recently I got an iphone 6+.

What I've ultimately used it for now that I've lived with it for 4 years:
-anywhere: reading magazines
-anywhere: reading books
-only on planes: watching movies when the IFE is not working or I've seen all the movies already
-(I used to use it to watch movies at home via cables and apple TV but was too much of a hassle only working 50% of the time so we just starting watching movies at home in the computer room instead)
-when in bed: reading emails and sending SHORT email responses
-when in bed: surfing the web

I've tried to play games on it (I am a fairly avid gamer) but I just prefer a real computer and the real games that come with it.

If the iphone 6+ was maybe a half size bigger I'd completely ditch my ipad mini; as it is now I hate having 3 devices; I find that I use my iphone more often in all cases of the above except reading magazines (because I have to stretch the screen to read the font on each page).

Separately, my wife has an ipad that she literally never uses (she always prefers to use her tiny iPhone 5) and my son has an ipad mini that he LOVES. It's loaded with educational games and he plays those and the occasional youtube video. He's definitely the happiest.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:53 am

I used to use my iPad for browsing the web. Now I use my Chromebook. Occasionally I use it for reading books but when I travel I take my Surface Pro 3 and read my books as well as process my photos on Photoshop Elements. For daily travel, I use my iPhone 6 Plus. Occasionally when I go to a restaurant I will take my iPad as I have cellular on it. So now, I'd say I mainly use my iPpad with the Kindle App for reading books at home. I also have two windows 7 machines at home that I use for remote desktop to work.

For me, the Chromebook with a real keyboard and my Iphone 6 plus has removed any real need for an iPad.

kazper

Post by kazper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:56 am

We received ours as a gift years ago. At first I was hesitant using it (plus I didn't know how to navigate with Apples), but I've since converted.

I don't have a smart phone, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for it. I mainly use it for the times when I don't feel like booting up my laptop, mostly on a whim searches. Typing long emails, forget it! We have a wifeless keyboard that goes with it, but it takes too much effort to find the darn thing, establish the connection, and send off my email. In those situations, I crank start the old laptop.

joebh

Post by joebh » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:03 pm

I also own an iPhone, Kindle reader, iPod, camera, and laptop.

For real work, I use my laptop. For mobile access, I use my smartphone. For reading, I use my Kindle. When taking long walks, I listen to my iPod. When I want to take better pictures than my iPhone can, I use my camera.

I don't play any games, so I don't need any gaming devices.

I haven't found the need to add an iPad. They are pretty and shiny, but I can't seem to find a scenario that I don't yet have covered adequately.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:13 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:What do you most often use your iPad for?
Keeping my wife off my laptop.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Not an iPad user, but have had the original Nexus 7 since it came out. I use it almost exclusively for reading the Economist (downloads on Friday, I frequently do not get the print edition until Tuesday!) and the New Yorker. Otherwise it is either too big (I use my Moto G) or too small (Thinkpad or Chromebook to the rescue.)

The Chromebook is usually hooked up to my external speakers for radio/spotify use. I will look at the Surface 4 when it appears, I do like to keep current with the gadgets.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:34 pm

The iPad is my goto device for many things. Which iPad do you have?

I hate cell phones because they're too big to carry around in my pocket and too small to be effective, BUT if you need the mobility, there really isn't any choice. An iPad would be ridiculously big and heavy, and I've toyed with the idea of an iPad Mini, but for me, walking about and standing, it's just too big to have around, so I carry the biggest phone that fits in my pocket all the time.

When high mobility isn't a factor, I choose between desktop, laptop, and iPad, and more often than not, the iPad wins, simply because I'm using it for just a few minutes, and that's how long it sometimes takes to startup my laptop or desktop if it isn't on standby. Seems like there's always a software update or reboot that gets in my way. The iPad just turns on, get my job done and minutes later, I'm on to something else.

For reading, older iPads are too heavy and iPad mini has too small a screen (though around the size of kindles), so iPad Air is just right for me. Light enough to hold a while (and I do still wish it were lighter) and a big enough screen I'm not constantly scrolling and that I can easily see.

Safari browser is my top app and I use it far above anything else, even when apps are available. What is your issue with WSJ? App or Safari? Just go to wsj.com on Safari and log in and see if that works for you. The apps do sometimes give you additional functionality, but you have to download and keep updated, and unless I'm very invested, I try to avoid apps (though I've tested and deleted hundreds).

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:35 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:I own a smartphone, Kindle reader and laptop

I recently bought an iPad to add to my arsenal - mostly because I like Apple products and I was curious to see if it might be a better fit for reading or mobile computing.

thanks
This I think is why the first thing to decide before buying electronic gadgets is how they will fit into your lifestyle, I.e., how will you use them and how they will relate to your other computers. That takes time, but it's worth it. Reading reviews of tech types who know how to use a tablet to its fullest will help decide this. Then hit the stores and try them out, talking to more than one salesperson because they each know something different. This is what I did before buying a mini-iPad with a keyboard two years ago. I write daily and often do so at libraries and bookstore coffee shops, biking there if I can, so the little tablet's light weight and portability is important. I also bring it on trips and to meetings, including our Bogleheads' chapter meets for quick reference to the BH wiki. It also nicely complements my desktop and my Kindle. I'm on it now. :happy
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:13 pm

We love our iPads. We have iPads with cellular and use the cellular big time when we're on road trips. The cellular iPad is great for road trips. It's an unlocked device so you can buy SIM/service for your destination. When doing a big trip to WA, ID, MT, WY, UT, CO, NM, NV, CA, OR, I was driving and my wife was on the iPad looking up hotel/motel further down the highway, making reservations, canceling reservations, looking up campgrounds, hikes, places to eat. It is much easier to book hotels/flights etc using an iPad than a cell phone.
Wiki

Thebigc

Post by Thebigc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:45 pm

I am a casual computer person at best, I do no real work on a computer. I have never liked laptops, I love my Ipad, it's perfect for me. I do have a custom desktop I built like 5-6 years ago, mostly to see if I could actually build one based off a magazine article and Newegg. Best PC I have ever owned and cost effective. I have the early Ipad 3rd gen and I use it for almost everything, it also goes on trips with me. I have an Iphone 5c and I hate the new larger phones, might as well just stick an Ipad to my ear.

I am typing this on my Ipad. I don't really play any game on it, or on my PC, though I have some gaming apps and on occasion if I might play a little bit. I do watch movies on trips, and use Netflix often when traveling. I use it for reading as well.

Though I do not understand the weight complaints, it's so heavy? It weighs like 15-16 ounces, I don't even feel it. Complaints about the weight from people carrying around giant smart phones, a laptop and a kindle. Now I did have a girlfriend, who carried hers in her purse and complained about the weight and her purse was to heavy. She had an Ipad air, well I tried to pick up her purse with the Ipad in it and in truth it was heavy. Now granted I am only a Marine and only had to get used to full packs and double packs, but that purse was a different animal. After installing a block and tackle to enable the lifting of the purse to the shoulder, things became a bit easier. Now that is not the case with everyone but she was a large purse girl and she maximized that purse as much as possible. I am not sure if anyone ever saw the movie Wild, but watching her shoulder the purse was kind of like watching Reese shoulder her pack for the first time, except this occured several times a day. In fact I think she could walk the PCT with nothing but her purse, she could take out the Ipad but I don't think it makes much difference. I did have fun going through the purse and trying to stip it down, but she refused to remove anything, she was like a hoarder but with a purse. I did get her to switch to a backpack, then shortly after that she maxed out the pack and went on to carry both the purse and the pack. Her gym bag is also scary she could go on a tip around the world with that thing. You should see her when she has all three, but it's the Ipad air that is the problem, though she found room for it along with her laptop. I once found a Playstation 3 in the backback, she forgot why it was there, but was sure she had it for a good reason. She doesn't play video games. She is what I call a 2 gym locker kinda girl.

I'll tell you one thing, whenever I needed something it came flying out of one bag or the other. Tiny little thing too, don't know how she managed to carry all that stuff and always walk like she was in a hurry.

Anyway I like the casual use of the Ipad, I don't find it heavy at all, sure Tiny might tip over if you put it on one side or the other when she was tripple bagging, but that was more a case of the cherry on top. I am eventually going to do a new PC in a year or two, depends when the new chips come out, and maybe a new tablet too, it really depends on what comes out. But I rufuse to get a giant phone and stick it to my war. Have people forgotten the giant Zack Morris phone of the late 80's and early 90's? I thought we were done with that, that progress had us moving away from that. Giant phones have returned, and I am putting my foot down, what happened to progress? Why is the Zack attack back?

http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/fun ... ng-big.jpg

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
abuss368 wrote:I love my iPad and use it daily for business and personal.
I love my iPad, and my wife loves her iPad mini.

While I have an iPhone 5 and a MacBook, both of which I use every day, it's the iPad that that I use most for some reason, that reason being that I can carry it to the kitchen table, bed, LaZboy, out on the balcony, music gigs (just the right size to read lead sheets), and working lunches. I bought an inexpensive BlueTooth keyboard and occasionally use it, but not often.

When I took my cross country 30 day Amtrak trip last year, I rarely dragged out the MacBook since the iPad was more convenient.

I'm on a 250 day Duolingo streak--all on the iPad. In addition, I've read a page of Talmud in English every day (Daf Yomi) for the past 3+ years-- on the iPad. My Tabata Timer exercise app, with workout music, is on the iPad. It's great for doing all these tasks when I travel. I'm currently reading Robinson Crusoe on it.

Sure, it does not fit in my pocket like a phone. But it's just big enough without being too big. Were I to replace it, maybe I'd get the Mini.

YMMV. :wink:
Excellent post. I essentially do the same.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:09 am

Mostly the Kindle reading app. Plus email and web braowsing.
It was given to me 5 years ago and I love it though it has space li itations.
I have recently gotten to like audio books and pod casts and they take a ton of space. Whenspace starts getting cramped, the IPad really slows down.

Another thing that I really like about it is to be able to share contacts and shopping lists with my wife IPad/IPhone and my IPhone.
Mayhaps the android versions can do this but I have not checked it out nor do I think it would be so seamless.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:57 am

...music gigs (just the right size to read lead sheets)...
Me too. I have hundreds of music sheets in mine. My wife, who is technologically challenged, drags a suitcase load of music to gigs. I take an iPad.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm

My basic device is my all-in-one, touch-screen, 23" desktop PC. It's installed in a PC desk with shelves and drawers and I use it for any serious work. I find it to be ideal and optimal, but it is expensive.

I bought the iPad to use laying down on the bed or on a lounge chair in the patio--and that's how I use it (mainly reading Bogleheads, of course). It would also serve as a backup if my desktop fails. I also intend to try some Kindle books when I figure out how to download the app. But quite simply, it adds some appreciated variety to my computer activities.

I don't care for laptops (I used one for a year)--especially one without a separate keyboard that can be used at a comfortable elevation.
Overall AA: 51/37/12 | Portfolio 1: total world stock market, short-term TIPS | Portfolio 2: global large value, global small cap, ultra short-term global bonds | Cash: Treasury money market

anil686

Post by anil686 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 pm

David Jay wrote:I use it as my single device - mobile apps, kindle reader and email. I carry a tiny phone (4S) to talk on.

If I was carrying a kindle reader, a laptop and a huge cellphone then I would not have a use for an iPad.

I much prefer typing emails on the iPad keyboard than trying to type on a phone. The keys are almost laptop sized.
+1 - have a logitech keyboard for mine and love it. Use it as my only device for the most part.

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Hexdump wrote:Mostly the Kindle reading app. Plus email and web braowsing.
It was given to me 5 years ago and I love it though it has space li itations.
I have recently gotten to like audio books and pod casts and they take a ton of space. Whenspace starts getting cramped, the IPad really slows down.

Another thing that I really like about it is to be able to share contacts and shopping lists with my wife IPad/IPhone and my IPhone.
Mayhaps the android versions can do this but I have not checked it out nor do I think it would be so seamless.
Microsoft OneNote will sync just about anything (lists, photos, documents, pdf's) to as many people as you want to share with. It is available for free on Android, Apple and of course Windows phones and devices. It is seamless and does not restrict you to one operating system.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 pm

For two people, we have in the house:
2 PC's (one desktop and one laptop)
A 14" HP chromebook
A Ipad 2nd Gen
A Samsung smartphone (S5 Mini)

My wife has a dumb cell phone and is the primary user of the Ipad and one of the PC's. When she is at home, she much prefers to do e-mail on her desktop. She uses the Ipad for games and web surfing when we're sitting in front of the TV. She also uses it for e-mail when we're traveling. We got a logitech keyboard for it and that made a huge difference in the device useability.

The IPad2 is getting old and a little bit flakey. I don't know what we're going to replace it with when it dies. I'm leaning towards an Android tablet because I find I prefer the interface and we're pretty heavily embedded in the Google ecosystem.
Lorne

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:12 pm

I love my current iPad, and I'm very interested to see what the rumored new iPad (Pro?) looks like.

Maybe time to upgrade.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm 72 and have had two cornea transplants. It is much easier to read on the IPad. My wife has age related macular degeneration and finds the mini much more useful for reading than the 6+.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:57 pm

I love my iPad -- too much. It's a 3rd gen which I bought upon its release in March 2012. I use it for almost all of my web browsing, the reading of my local newspaper, and many apps. Recently I subscribed to The Economist and I read that on it too. Full disclosure: Apple stockholder.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Use my iPad to read and post on this forum and dink around in the Internet. Usually from bed when I can't sleep. Also play a lot of games on flights much the chagrin of those on either side of me. The Mrs says it's really annoying cause I move my arms a lot. Also check mint sometimes, as well as fidelity accounts and so forth. Use my iphone more when on the go in daily life. iPad stays home unless traveling.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

songman52

Post by songman52 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:24 pm

I use the iPad mostly for the BH Forum, sudoku, and quick internet searches.

songman52

Post by songman52 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:27 pm

Oh, and our band uses one to run the digital mixer.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:46 pm

I use an iPad at work for physical therapy documentation. It works exceptionally well for that. Lightweight and long battery life. Both important for me having to carry it around all day and having to plug it in to charge not really an option. At home though, Macbook and smartphone are fine and I haven't yet seen the need for a tablet.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Nicolas wrote:I love my iPad -- too much. It's a 3rd gen which I bought upon its release in March 2012. I use it for almost all of my web browsing, the reading of my local newspaper, and many apps. Recently I subscribed to The Economist and I read that on it too. Full disclosure: Apple stockholder.
Most people reading this forum are too with VTSAX and other index funds.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"