Home security system and land line

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
s2kmw

Home security system and land line

Post by s2kmw » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Hello,
We just purchased a home and the previous owners had an ADT system set up. They told us that ADT needed them to have a land line in case they had to contact an operator or authorities. Anyone have experience with this? I haven't had a land line in years and don't want to pay the extra charge just to use it for that. Is this true for all companies? And also - how hard would outfitting another system be - is it worth it to just continue with ADT since they already have things in place?
Will be researching and pricing things shortly, and I'll be calling ADT about the landline issue, but just wanted to see what others have experienced.

Thanks!

dhodson

Re: Home security system and land line

Post by dhodson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:16 pm

All companies now have cellular option for more. They just put a mini antenna to the alarm controlbox

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Curious if anyone has used a company like SimpliSafe that only uses cellular. The cost is substantially less because they don't have to wire your house.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 pm

There's another thread where the Simplisafe system was discussed: viewtopic.php?t=145071

Seems to be some good reviews in there. We plan to use them in our retirement home when we move there next year.
Dave

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:06 pm

ADT offers a cellular option. They don't have to re-wire your house. As a PP said, they just install an antenna near your existing control box. It is a dedicated cell-line that you have to pay for, however. I believe the cost is $15/month over the normal cost of monitoring service. If you're a new customer, you should qualify for some sort of introductory deal. Note that their service is through AT&T; so if you don't get a good AT&T signal at your house, you may have a problem.

Edited to note that you don't have a relationship with AT&T as a result of signing up for the ADT Cellguard (that's what i think it's called). You pay ADT. ADT just uses an AT&T line.

scooters

Post by scooters » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Take a look here for very in-depth and exhaustive reviews from a site called The Wirecutter (http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-ho ... ty-system/). Both their top choice (Frontpoint Security) and the cheaper step-down option (Simplisafe) use cellular connections.

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:48 pm

When I started with a security system, I had a landline. My existing equipment was compatible with ADT. When I removed my landline, and switched to ADT, they upgraded my control box and added the cell component. Since my only reception was Verizon Wireless, they added the "cell communicator box" (don't know the technical name) that uses VW. I had to sign a two year contract to get the upgrades and paying 46 a month. I think 10 of that is for the cell phone piece. After the two year contract is up, I will review my options. Meanwhile, the system works good.

Workinghard

Post by Workinghard » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:Curious if anyone has used a company like SimpliSafe that only uses cellular. The cost is substantially less because they don't have to wire your house.
We're happy with SimpliSafe, and their customer service has been great. We get text notifications to our phone whenever the alarm is activated or deactivated. One feature we like is being able to add a phone number to the text alerts. When we go out of town we add our neighbor. If the alarm goes off, he knows to check. Course it also goes to the local police station.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:45 am

scooters wrote:Take a look here for very in-depth and exhaustive reviews from a site called The Wirecutter (http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-ho ... ty-system/). Both their top choice (Frontpoint Security) and the cheaper step-down option (Simplisafe) use cellular connections.
I note that the main reason they chose Frontpoint was the more sophisticated home automation features, and not really anything having to do with the home security features. If you want the home automation that's probably a good reason to go with Frontpoint.

Frontpoint's monthy monitoring fees are $45, compared to $25 for Simplisafe's fully interactive plan (Simplisafe has monitoring plans for as little as $15/month).
Dave

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 am

We've had SimpliSafe at our house for about 6 months now, and we are happy with it. I researched several options before going with them. While I don't remember all of the exact reasons, I think the primary ones were the overall cost(Both equipment and monitoring) as well as the modular way things were sold. I can customize what sensors I want as well as what level of monitoring/alerts I receive. The setup was also very easy, taking approximately one hour from opening the first box until I had finished both installing the sensors and customizing the software.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:03 pm

FreemanB wrote:We've had SimpliSafe at our house for about 6 months now, and we are happy with it. I researched several options before going with them. While I don't remember all of the exact reasons, I think the primary ones were the overall cost(Both equipment and monitoring) as well as the modular way things were sold. I can customize what sensors I want as well as what level of monitoring/alerts I receive. The setup was also very easy, taking approximately one hour from opening the first box until I had finished both installing the sensors and customizing the software.
I use it too. I think it's great.

LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:Curious if anyone has used a company like SimpliSafe that only uses cellular. The cost is substantially less because they don't have to wire your house.
We use Simplisafe. Self-installed it. It is easy-breezy and costs only $15 per month (I pay $25 per month to get the text message functionality). It cost <$250 to purchase the equipment. So far, I've been extremely satisfied with this
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Folks who use Simplisafe and similar companies, do those systems include smoke and fire alarms and monitoring, as well as intrusion alarms and monitoring?

financial.freedom

Post by financial.freedom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:40 pm

FWIW:

Power outages and burglars can prevent a landline from working, right?

Don't think I'd ever pay for a security system unless it operates wirelessly, such as from a cell tower.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Rupert wrote:Folks who use Simplisafe and similar companies, do those systems include smoke and fire alarms and monitoring, as well as intrusion alarms and monitoring?
Yes, you can purchase a number of other sensors beyond intrusion detection for Simplisafe, including:

Smoke
Co2
Freeze detector
Water
Dave

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:39 pm

We use FrontPoint and it's cellular only. Been very happy with them but you can certainly read up using other resources as well.

Used to use ADT and couldn't stand them.