Swim Goggles for Near-Sighted People

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Swim Goggles for Near-Sighted People

Post by General Disarray » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:21 pm

For those who normally wear contact lenses, do you wear swim goggles when you swim?

If so, do you wear "regular" (non-prescription) goggles over your contacts when you swim, or do you remove your contact lenses and wear goggles with corrective lenses (which, apparently, you can buy without a prescription)?

And does it matter if you are swimming laps vs. swimming leisurely and just splashing around a pool?

jebmke

Re: Swim Goggles for Near-Sighted People

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:25 pm

When I used to wear contacts I just wore the goggles with no correction. Even with pretty bad vision, it didn't really matter.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:26 pm

I have speedo vanquisher optical swim goggles purchased online with prescription for about $12. I use them with whitewater sports. Otherwise I would wear my prescription sunglasses. I have never had contacts.

My kids and spouse have contact lenses and use prescription-less goggles.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Contacts work great, but otherwise you can easily buy Speedo Vanquishers with Optical Correction on Amazon.com and they only cost about $20-22 each. They work great.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:56 am

You really shouldn't wear contacts in a pool even with goggles. Increases your risk of infection. Maybe the odds are low but I'm not one to gamble with my eyes. They are bad enough as it is!

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 am

jjface wrote:You really shouldn't wear contacts in a pool even with goggles. Increases your risk of infection. Maybe the odds are low but I'm not one to gamble with my eyes. They are bad enough as it is!

I've never heard of such a risk.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 am

I wear disposable soft contact lenses that one puts on each morning and removes each evening and wears for a duration of 2 weeks.

I wear regular non-prescription swim goggles with no problem. I have never lost a contact, but each contact is only something like $5 so it would not be a major loss. I don't feel any sort of discomfort with this setup.

inspector00

Post by inspector00 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 am

I'm very severely nearsighted, about -9 magnification in both eyes and bought some goggles off of this website. http://www.aquagoggles.com

You don't need a prescription, they just ask you for your magnification level for each lens in .5 increments. They don't correct for astigmatism so you may have to squint a little or get closer to read for example the pool rules on the wall, but they were only around $30 with shipping.

hdcd

Post by hdcd » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:45 am

My eyes are as bad as inspector00 but with really bad astigmatism and I use goggles like the aqua but believe they are made by Speedo. I'm amazed how well I can see underwater. Don't need to pay for the prescription googles. These are really good. Look for a swim store that caters to swim clubs and they should carry a number of magnifications so you can try them on and see which magnification works best for you. Even here in Orange County, CA these small swim stores can be difficult to find. Might also try kids swim meets as the vendors show up to sell their products.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:54 am

No info on swim goggles but if you're a candidate for LASIK I can't recommend it enough. Had it done five years ago and it was as good a decision as I've ever made. I see better now than I ever did with contacts. No worry about contacts floating away when swimming or diving. Worth triple what I paid for it. The procedure was painless, quick, and I used my HSA to pay for it.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:08 am

When I went on a snorkeling tour in Hawaii, the tour company offered special swim masks for people who normally wear glasses. I tried different magnification levels, found what worked for me, and used them at Molokini Island. I found them so much help that as soon as we got back, I went to a dive shop and bought myself a similar mask.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:45 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:No info on swim goggles but if you're a candidate for lasix I can't recommend it enough. Had it done five years ago and it was as good a decision as I've ever made. I see better now than I ever did with contacts. No worry about contacts floating away when swimming or diving. Worth triple what I paid for it. The procedure was painless, quick, and I used my HSA to pay for it.

I've heard that sometimes after Lasik people may see stars around lights and various other problems like hazy vision or worse.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:26 pm

lightheir wrote:
jjface wrote:You really shouldn't wear contacts in a pool even with goggles. Increases your risk of infection. Maybe the odds are low but I'm not one to gamble with my eyes. They are bad enough as it is!

I've never heard of such a risk.

I'm surprised. Doctors even make a big deal about getting regular water in your eyes with contacts. A quick google search led to this:

http://coopervision.com/eye-health-and- ... g-contacts

http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/ ... oeba?sso=y

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Produ ... 062594.htm

"Do not...Swim while wearing contact lenses. There is a risk of eye infection from bacteria in swimming pool water, hot tubs, lakes and the ocean"

You are probably okay with goggles over the top but really even with goggles you can get a bit of water in your eyes. I know - I used to swim competitively.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm

DonCamillo wrote: I found them so much help that as soon as we got back, I went to a dive shop and bought myself a similar mask.

Such masks are great! I just went to the Maui Sport Authority or Walmart and bought one for about $35. I've seen the same masks at dive shops for $100.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:34 pm

jjface wrote:"Do not...Swim while wearing contact lenses. There is a risk of eye infection from bacteria in swimming pool water, hot tubs, lakes and the ocean"

You are probably okay with goggles over the top but really even with goggles you can get a bit of water in your eyes. I know - I used to swim competitively.

I suspect about the same amount of risk applies if one doesn't where contacts. After all, one's eyes are in the water! Now ask me about Vibrio sp.

js2012

Post by js2012 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:33 pm

Hello,
I've been competitively swimming for close to 20 years so I think I can answer your question.

I wear contacts when I swim and regular goggles with absolutely no problems or issues. This is my preference because I can see the workout set on the board when I take off my goggles during swim practice. I found, however, that I would sometimes forget to put in my contacts in the morning so I sometimes wouldn't have them for swim practice since I went straight to practice from work. This was no bueno.

Enter the TYR goggles with sight correction (I'm a +2.0 but I think my contacts are +2.5, close enough). I carry these in my bag for the days I forget to put in my contacts. For me, the biggest drawback is that I can't read the board unless I have them on and I prefer to take them off to look at the board. Also, I usually wear Swedish goggles (goggles with no gasket or foam) and these goggles have a silicon gasket which is okay, but not my preference.

The one time I tried swimming without any contacts or the TYR goggles, I felt dizzy so I decided to never do that again.

For just splashing around and not swimming, I would probably wear my Swedish goggles since I wouldn't have to read anything and I'm not completely blind without my goggles. For laps or any time of real swimming, I would have these two options available and find which one you prefer.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:No info on swim goggles but if you're a candidate for lasix I can't recommend it enough. Had it done five years ago and it was as good a decision as I've ever made. I see better now than I ever did with contacts. No worry about contacts floating away when swimming or diving. Worth triple what I paid for it. The procedure was painless, quick, and I used my HSA to pay for it.

I've heard that sometimes after Lasik people may see stars around lights and various other problems like hazy vision or worse.

I did for about six months or so notice halos around street lights when driving at night. They were a little distracting but they went away after a while. I can't decide if they were a side effect of the procedure itself or that seeing sharper in general made me notice them and it took several months for my brain to get used to it and sort of tune them out. Even now when I'm driving in a light rain the reflection of light off the wet pavement does still seem to obscure things a little but that's no big deal. Not sure if that's typical or not. I can't attest to hazy vision. When I woke up from a nap a few hours after the procedure my vision was noticeably sharper. Who knew trees had such distinct individual leaves? I know the idea of surgery on ones eyes makes people uncomfortable, but it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. If anyone is on the fence about it, I strongly recommend it. I bring it up and beat the drum whenever I hear someone complaining about contacts. It's awesome to wake up and be able to see from the moment you open your eyes.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:26 pm

livesoft wrote:
jjface wrote:"Do not...Swim while wearing contact lenses. There is a risk of eye infection from bacteria in swimming pool water, hot tubs, lakes and the ocean"

I suspect about the same amount of risk applies if one doesn't where contacts. After all, one's eyes are in the water! Now ask me about Vibrio sp.

Something about having contacts in your eyes can trap the bad stuff...

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 am

I swim 2.272 miles every other day with contacts, under my goggles, no problem. When I first started swimming, in a pool, I only wore contacts and everything was fine, until I lost one. My eyes burned from the chorine. I was surprised how well the contacts protected me from the burn.
When surfing I always wear an old pair of contacts, so I don't worry about losing them. It's amazing how well I can keep them in, once I know what makes them leave my eyes.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle