Getting Hawaiian shave ice on the East Coast

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mac_guy

Getting Hawaiian shave ice on the East Coast

Post by mac_guy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Last year, I vacationed in Maui. It was my first trip to any Hawaiian island and I absolutely fell in love with Hawaiian shave ice. I live in the NE and I've really had a craving for it this summer and I really miss it.

For those who have never had it, shave ice is very finely shaved ice that is flavored. I found it much better than a traditional snow cone (which is more like crushed ice.)

Does anyone know of a place that sells shave ice in the NE? I'm in the SE PA region, but would be willing to drive some distance to taste it again.

Thanks.

sevenseas

Re: Getting Hawaiian shave ice on the East Coast

Post by sevenseas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:09 pm

I'd recommend that you Google for shave ice places in Asian neighborhoods in Philly or NYC, especially places of Taiwanese or Korean origin. Not sure they will be exactly as you had in Hawaii, but probably the most similar you will find in the NE. Shave ice in Hawaii originated from the Japanese immigrants I believe, but other Asian cultures have jumped on the bandwagon and added their own twists (e.g. different toppings like sweetened cooked beans, jellies, taro, mochi, etc. They may sound kind of weird to a Western palate but they are really great!)

Or you can do what my brother did and buy a shave ice machine. I kid you not. Family gatherings in the summer are even more special now. :happy

TP81

Post by TP81 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Do you have Rita's up there? If not, head down to DE. Might not be exact but it's pretty good. Disclaimer: I have never been to Hawaii so can't compare.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 pm

I recommend that you buy the shaved ice machine and make Hawaiian shaved ice, Taiwanese shaved ice, ice kachang, etc. yourself. The machine is reasonably priced--maybe $30.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Kona Ice Truck:

http://www.kona-ice.com/find-a-kona/

Just enter your zip code; I took a guess and found a few near Harrisburg, PA.

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Is it me or does "shave ice" sound awkward? It's ice that has been shaved. Doesn't "shaved ice" sound better? Snow cone sounds even better to me.

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Riprap wrote:Is it me or does "shave ice" sound awkward? It's ice that has been shaved. Doesn't "shaved ice" sound better? Snow cone sounds even better to me.

I agree it does sound awkward, but that is generally what the item is called - at least in Hawaii. See from Wikipedia:

Shave ice or Hawaiian shave ice is an ice-based dessert made by shaving a block of ice. While the product can resemble a snow cone, snow cones are made with crushed, rather than shaved, ice. Even though it is made with shaved ice, it is called "shave ice", not "shaved ice" in Hawai'i.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_ice

It definitely is not a snow cone, though. Shave ice is much, much more finely shaved than a snow cone. The consistency was quite unlike any ice based dessert I have had before. It was much lighter and fluffier than both snow cones or water ices.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 pm

You can get an ice shaver machine from amazon. Not sure what flavors you had in hawaii but I really enjoy shaved ice with sweet red beans (azuki beans) and coconut milk or condensed milk. You can find cans of sweet azuki beans in asian grocery stores.

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 pm

mac_guy wrote:I agree it does sound awkward, but that is generally what the item is called - at least in Hawaii. See from Wikipedia:

Shave ice or Hawaiian shave ice is an ice-based dessert made by shaving a block of ice. While the product can resemble a snow cone, snow cones are made with crushed, rather than shaved, ice. Even though it is made with shaved ice, it is called "shave ice", not "shaved ice" in Hawai'i.[1]

Now that I think about it, the pronunciation may have something to do with Hawaiian Pidgin English. To say there is a bit of culture clash between people from the mainland and the locals is an understatement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Pidgin

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:18 pm

mac_guy wrote:Last year, I vacationed in Maui. It was my first trip to any Hawaiian island and I absolutely fell in love with Hawaiian shave ice. I live in the NE and I've really had a craving for it this summer and I really miss it.

For those who have never had it, shave ice is very finely shaved ice that is flavored. I found it much better than a traditional snow cone (which is more like crushed ice.)

Does anyone know of a place that sells shave ice in the NE? I'm in the SE PA region, but would be willing to drive some distance to taste it again.

Thanks.

Here in central NJ, the only places I know for sure are the bakery TourLesJours (http://www.tljus.com) inside the HMart Korean grocery store and the bakery in the same shopping center Paris Bagueette (http://www.parisbaguetteusa.com) in Edison.
We ate some last summer. It is shaved unflavored ice. With some canned fruit and scoop of ice cream to give it flavor.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Riprap wrote:Is it me or does "shave ice" sound awkward? It's ice that has been shaved. Doesn't "shaved ice" sound better? ........

eh, brah. You tink you can speak English mo bettah than us? I bet you say " graduate high school" too. How bout pronouncing "often" ?

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:26 pm

This is just like New Yawkers and their bagels.

You'll never be happy with shave ice any place other than Hawaii. And you won't find a good bagel there, either.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kimos-Re ... 7585552225

Kimos Real Hawaiian Shave Ice in Wilmington, DE
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:46 pm

try Yelp for shave ice, shaved ice, etc. We kind of like the Taiwanese style better now. They put the flavor into the ice itself instead of
pouring on a sweet syrup later so the flavor is more subtle/sophisticated. I don't know how they shave it but it comes out liked a fabric with folds
and is very light and airy instead of a granular ice. See some of the pics here http://www.yelp.com/biz/snozen-shaved-snow-and-dessert-cafe-mountain-view?osq=taiwanese+shaved+ice

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:55 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Riprap wrote:Is it me or does "shave ice" sound awkward? It's ice that has been shaved. Doesn't "shaved ice" sound better? ........

eh, brah. You tink you can speak English mo bettah than us? I bet you say " graduate high school" too. How bout pronouncing "often" ?

That's "mo bettah den us" on the Big Island, where we have "ice shave".

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Puakinekine wrote:
kaneohe wrote:

That's "mo bettah den us" on the Big Island, where we have "ice shave".

sorry, I was in the last "English standard" class so some of it stuck. After us, they removed the standards so anyone could join and things went downhill from there :happy

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Too much sugar. :[

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:33 pm

The first thing we do whenever we get to Oahu is go to Waiola shave ice. Best ice and flavors. Have never had anything close on the mainland but also I don't look too hard. Some things are better in context.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:01 am

You can make shave ice yourself by hands with a knife. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_Sx3FJ2M4

Note that the shave ice originated from Asian countries as some sort of street food where they do not have machines to make ice cubes. So they use a big ice chunk and use a knife to cut it into small pieces (powders like) . The most authentic one actually used a carpenter shaver to make (shave) ice powders from the big ice (on the street when you order it).

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am

I've had similar to that in Costa Rica. The ice is shaved off a block with what looks like a carpenter's plane. Awesome with the condensed milk.

WallyBird

Post by WallyBird » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:41 pm

TP81 wrote:Do you have Rita's up there? If not, head down to DE. Might not be exact but it's pretty good. Disclaimer: I have never been to Hawaii so can't compare.

I've recently returned from a visit to Philly, and found the local "water ice" to be among the finest non-alcoholic frozen concoctions I've ever had. And the Rita's chain did a superb example.

YMMV, but I'll take a water ice over a shave ice any day of the week.
"Look, sir, we can't just do nothing." | "Why not? It's usually best."

tdogz

Post by tdogz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:27 pm

None are in your immediate area, but there are Sno-Biz locations in lots of places... http://www.snobiz.com/locations/