Recommendations on a cheap commuter car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gambler

Recommendations on a cheap commuter car

Post by Gambler »

my 10yr old car is having transmission problems plus the tires are near the legal minimum in tread.
tires alone will cost me $700.
mechanic said $3k for a rebuilt transmission. :(

my car's not worth that much.

my requirements:
-built 2013 or later: That's when Electronic stability control became mandatory for all cars.

-reliable with great gas milage: I drive 300miles/week

-used: I work in construction and park on site.
it's much better on my mental health if a used car gets all scratched up due to construction site debris + stupid/careless coworkers that bump my bumper while parking.

i've looked at the Honda Civic and Mazda3 but used isn't much cheaper than new. :confused

Thx
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist
gatorking

Re: Recommendations on a cheap commuter car

Post by gatorking »

Even though ESC became mandatory in 2013, many makes and models had them standard even earlier. e.g. all 2010 Toyotas had ESC as standard. You can search for ESC equipped models here: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/safety-features
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Buying a used Civic is pointless. I would recommend getting a 4-5 year old TSX instead. You'll probably pay less than the 2 year old Civic and have the same features.
traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch »

Hyundai Elantra?
Gambler wrote: tires alone will cost me $700.
Costco tire? (They won't fix the transmission problems, though.)
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I'm a huge fan of Honda but that great reputation that they have does keep the value up. I was thinking about buying a Civic that's a couple years old and was shocked when I saw what people are getting for them.

If I needed something like what you are describing I would take a very serious look at a Kia Optima. When my car was sideswiped I got one as a rental and I was really impressed with it. Drove nice, felt solid, nothing had a cheap feel to it... although it was pretty slow.

Just my $0.02.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

We just leased a VW Jetta (6 speed automatic, 2.0 L engine). We needed a car fast and lease terms were attractive. This is the Jetta S, and one of their lower-end vehicles. The base engine is rated at 115 horses and is not favored by car reviewers, but I find the vehicle more than adequate. The trick is to get engine revs up if you need to get the little sedan moving briskly.

It's a $118/month, 36 month lease, with $11,000 coughed up in three years if you want to purchase the Vee Dub. I find myself enjoying the car. Might fit your needs as a commuter scooter, but you could test drive the thing and see.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Gambler wrote:
i've looked at the Honda Civic and Mazda3 but used isn't much cheaper than new. :confused

Thx
I own an old Mazda3. If you're looking for a cheap car, don't buy the Mazda3. It's probably the funnest car in its price range, but it uses a lot of proprietary parts. Replacing something as simple as spark plugs costs me 3x as much b/c it can't accept a generic part design. Not 100% sure if this is true w/ the newer models though.
terran

Post by terran »

The Honda Fit seems to be well regarded.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Toyota Yaris, as the MPG is phenomenal. Though mine is a 2007 (used to drive a 2012 f150), so I'm not sure about the price gradient for a 2013.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

You may as well buy new for the small Hondas. The Fit would haul a surprising amount of stuff if you do that. I assume you would be looking at trucks if you needed to haul more stuff more often. I have a 2010 Civic and it does what it is supposed to do. Two of my girls have picked the Hyundai Accent Hatchback over the Fit and all the other small cars in the low end price range this past year. The Accents are pretty good in the small, cheap car niche.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Used Prius from Hertz
uncaD

Post by uncaD »

I recently bought a used 2014 Nissan Versa from Hertz. It was several thousand less than a Civic, and I'm averaging about 38mpg.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

The cost you posted for tires seems crazy expensive to me. What size tires?

I have a Fit, and it has been a great car. I bought it new. Nearing 220k miles with nothing more than a valve adjustment, one coil pack, and regular oil changes. I do all my own work, so the overall cost of ownership has been low.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Chevy Spark.
All the Best, | Joe
Toons

Post by Toons »

Honda Fit,
I owned one,great machine :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

traveltoomuch wrote:
Gambler wrote: tires alone will cost me $700.
Costco tire? (They won't fix the transmission problems, though.)
head gamez wrote:The cost you posted for tires seems crazy expensive to me. What size tires?

I have a Fit, and it has been a great car. I bought it new. Nearing 220k miles with nothing more than a valve adjustment, one coil pack, and regular oil changes. I do all my own work, so the overall cost of ownership has been low.
$700 (including tax) is how much I paid for my last set of 16" Michelin tires from Costco. MXV4???
must have good wet traction.

now Michelin has a new tire called the Defender at Costco. have yet to check out the wet traction rating on that.
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist
Topic Author
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

surfstar wrote:Used Prius from Hertz
uncaD wrote:I recently bought a used 2014 Nissan Versa from Hertz. It was several thousand less than a Civic, and I'm averaging about 38mpg.
hm.. never thought of looking at rental car sales.
will try Hertz and Enterprise.

THX!
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

I would recommend the Chevy Cruze. I haven't owned one, but I have test driven an Eco and had one as a rental car, and I really like the car for a no-frills commuter car. They have a quiet interior (somewhat rare amongst econoboxes), decent power and handling, and great gas mileage (especially the Eco). 2013 LT models with low mileage go for around $12K.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I would NOT recommend a Chevrolet Cruze. It really reminds me of a Chevrolet Cobalt and I have had two of them "recalled" by the rental car companies as there were safety issues with the steering.

I have had pretty decent luck with the Chevrolet Sonic, a slightly smaller vehicle. I averaged about 37 mpg on a recent 6k mile cross-country trip.

My BIL swears by his 2009 Toyota Yaris for his 35 mile OW commute. He is getting about 42 mpg consistently on the freeway.

=========================================

As for rental cars, I would pass. When the rental car companies were owned by the auto makers, cars were replaced every 15-30k miles with the intention of selling the used cars as program vehicles. You could pretty much count on the vehicles being services on a regular basis.

In recent years, I have grave doubts as to whether the rental cars are being serviced at all. I am receiving cars that have not had the oil changed recently, vehicles with equipment failure, and the like. And I have experienced that with the major firms - Avis, Hertz and Enterprise. Furthermore, all of the companies are holding on to the vehicles MUCH longer. One of my last rentals had 70k miles (Hertz - Cincinnati).
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

You did not say what your budget was. Cheap is in the eye of the beholder.

I believe you can find used 2013 Chevrolet Volt in the the $16k range. In some places, you can get HOV carpool stickers. It may be useful if you drive a lot at peak hours. They get excellent MPG on gasoline, and you can plug them in and drive about 35-40 miles on electricity every day.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Check out used cars from Hertz. They sell lots of Sentra, Camry, Corolla and Mazda 3s. Hertz has a program where you can rent a specific car in your area for 3 days, drive it , have it inspected, etc., and then if you like that specific car you can buy it at a pre-set price. The purchase transaction is handled 100% online so no used car lot or used car salespeople to deal with. Rental cost credited to sales price. Some of the cars have higher than average miles but they are appropriately discounted and priced to sell. A relative purchased a used Mazda 3 from Hertz 2 years ago with this program and the car has been great for them.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

gatorking wrote:Even though ESC became mandatory in 2013, many makes and models had them standard even earlier. e.g. all 2010 Toyotas had ESC as standard. You can search for ESC equipped models here: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/safety-features
Yeah. It's standard equipment on the 2001 4Runner!
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

Malibu (new not classic model) might be a good choice. ESC was standard on the 2008 Malibu LTZ.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

My vote would be a corolla or a civic
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
riptide

Post by riptide »

Used Honda civic or Used Acura Tsx, engines that will last if taken care of.
Brokerage account-100% stocks | VG total Market 55% | VG small cap value 20% | VG Reit index 25% | | TSP Account 75C/25S | C Fund75%, S25%, | | Bonds: U.S. Treasury 5 year Note, 1 year T Bill
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

You won't go wrong with a Civic or Corolla, but you're right that you're going to get hosed buying used because resale is so high. I'd grab a Consumer Reports auto issue (most libraries carry them) and look for good value used cars. If the Japanese brands aren't giving much of a used car discount, you might check out the Koreans. 2011-2013 might be a sweet spot where the quality was high, they have ESC, but they still don't have bulletproof reputation that would command a high price. Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, etc. If I were buying used, I'd definitely be looking at the Fit, as others have said. Be aware though, that there was a period of time when ESC only came on the "Sport" model.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
FireflyGlow

Post by FireflyGlow »

I bought a 2014 Jetta SE last year for about $24K. Not "cheap" by many people's standards but it was a good value to me. I traded in a 2006 Mercedes E-Class (was starting to have electrical issues) so took a loan for 72 months at 1.9%. My payments are $283 and the car is under warranty for 3 years total. Oil changes and other types of service are included. I am very happy with the car. It gets well over 30 mpg. I drive 42 miles RT, 4 days a week, to and from work. It is a substantial savings over the car I drove before.
agent13x

Post by agent13x »

Tack on another vote for a Honda Fit.

Reliable, great gas mileage, cheap and easy maintenance, and an overall affordable car.

Plus the storage inside really is quite impressive if you fold all the seats down. Plenty of room for tools and gear. I wish I would have looked at one before I decided on my accord, it'd be really nice to have the storage of a hatchback and the slightly better gas mileage.
AndyRedban

Post by AndyRedban »

Full disclosure- I work for GM, but I'll second the Chevy Volt recommendation. If the size (4 seats) meets your needs, it's an efficient car (~38 mpg hwy on gas and 35-40 EV miles/charge) that will save you a lot of money on gas if you have the means to charge it (Added bonus, more electric miles = less oil changes). The effects of the federal tax credit and a new model debuting this year have made the used prices very attractive.
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
Topic Author
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

ryuns wrote:You won't go wrong with a Civic or Corolla, but you're right that you're going to get hosed buying used because resale is so high. I'd grab a Consumer Reports auto issue (most libraries carry them) and look for good value used cars. If the Japanese brands aren't giving much of a used car discount, you might check out the Koreans. 2011-2013 might be a sweet spot where the quality was high, they have ESC, but they still don't have bulletproof reputation that would command a high price. Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, etc. If I were buying used, I'd definitely be looking at the Fit, as others have said. Be aware though, that there was a period of time when ESC only came on the "Sport" model.
ahh.. did not know Consumer Reports has a section for 'good value used cars.'
will check it out.

THX!
Topic Author
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

for those recommending a Chevy, I cant shake the reliability (lack there of) reputation American cars have.

as for the Chevy Volt, I'm afraid of the batteries dying.
I heard the rechargeable batteries on the Prius are only reliable for ~5yrs. (it's warrantied for 5yrs/100k miles.)

as for the Honda Fit, wont that fall into the same category as a used Civic?
ie: used isn't that much cheaper than new?
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Gambler wrote:for those recommending a Chevy, I cant shake the reliability (lack there of) reputation American cars have.

as for the Chevy Volt, I'm afraid of the batteries dying.
I heard the rechargeable batteries on the Prius are only reliable for ~5yrs. (it's warrantied for 5yrs/100k miles.)

as for the Honda Fit, wont that fall into the same category as a used Civic?
ie: used isn't that much cheaper than new?

You heard wrong. Domestic cars are on par with foreign now for reliability.

Prius batteries are warrantied to 150k miles in most states and can make it much, much longer without issues. There are now aftermarket battery replacement services (and DIY instructions) to easily tackle a battery issue cheaply - the $4k battery every 100k is a myth that needs to die.

a 2010+ Prius is one of the most reliable, low-maintenance, economical vehicles ever. There is no engine belt to change anymore! A simple, reliable, transmission. It is quite hard to beat as a commuter, if costs matter.
dc81584

Post by dc81584 »

It's pretty hard to go wrong with a used Honda (Accord, Civic) or Toyota (Camry, Corolla). If possible, I'd go for the Accord or Camry, as they are probably a little safer than the Civic and Corolla.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Gambler wrote:
ryuns wrote:You won't go wrong with a Civic or Corolla, but you're right that you're going to get hosed buying used because resale is so high. I'd grab a Consumer Reports auto issue (most libraries carry them) and look for good value used cars. If the Japanese brands aren't giving much of a used car discount, you might check out the Koreans. 2011-2013 might be a sweet spot where the quality was high, they have ESC, but they still don't have bulletproof reputation that would command a high price. Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, etc. If I were buying used, I'd definitely be looking at the Fit, as others have said. Be aware though, that there was a period of time when ESC only came on the "Sport" model.
ahh.. did not know Consumer Reports has a section for 'good value used cars.'
will check it out.

THX!
Looks like some of the info is online for free. More details in the magazine, but this might be a good starting point. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012 ... /index.htm
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

With the requirement of 2013 or newer, go look using car gurus for both Mazda 3i manual sedans and ford focus manual sedans. I will be buying the hatch version of one of these and see tons of sedans in the $12.5k area. Do NOT even consider the Focus in automatic.

These are the "reliable alternatives" to honda. They both depreciate like a rock off the showroom floor. 13 is the last year of this body style for mazda and ford tends to pay people to buy their cars this time of year with rebates.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Gambler wrote:-reliable with great gas milage: I drive 300miles/week
How long is your daily commute? Is it regular to single site? Do you have access to power at work? Do you have any Nissan dealers near home, work or along commute? http://www.chargepoint.com/press-releases/2014/0709

CHAdeMO is the poor mans Supercharger.

Nissan leaf can go 80 miles. A used Leaf is a great value if you can live within it's range. You can get off lease units for under $10k and electricity is cheap compared to gas, often free (nissan dealers, work, public charging stations, etc.)
toto238

Post by toto238 »

At some point in the next year allegedly

http://www.eliomotors.com

should become available.

It's an ideal commuter car for one person. Then again, maybe it'll never come out.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

toto238 wrote:At some point in the next year allegedly

should become available.

It's an ideal commuter car for one person. Then again, maybe it'll never come out.
What a mixed up vehicle for the regulators. Some states require motorcycle licences and/or helmets. I wonder if it will survive crash testing. Side crash? How will they do the newer offset testing?
Is Elio a car or a motorcycle?
https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/en-us ... otorcycle-
toto238

Post by toto238 »

inbox788 wrote:
toto238 wrote:At some point in the next year allegedly

should become available.

What a mixed up vehicle for the regulators. Some states require motorcycle licences and/or helmets. I wonder if it will survive crash testing. Side crash? How will they do the newer offset testing?
Is Elio a car or a motorcycle?
https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/en-us ... otorcycle-
From their website it looks like there's only two states left that would still require an Elio driver to wear a helmet. And those states are being worked on as we speak. And neither state is one with a very large population (I want to say it's like Nebraska and Minnesota).
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Forget cars people actually like, such as Honda and Toyotas. They all have high resale values.

Buy a dinged up American econobox that no one wants. Korean might also work.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

toto238 wrote:From their website it looks like there's only two states left that would still require an Elio driver to wear a helmet. And those states are being worked on as we speak. And neither state is one with a very large population (I want to say it's like Nebraska and Minnesota).
Not even close! Missouri, West Virginia and North Carolina! Montana, Arkansas, Alaska and Hawaii require helmets for minors (various ages).
There are currently three states that require a helmet for the Elio for over 21 year old drivers.
https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/en-us ... -a-helmet-

The thing has a back seat! Looks very cramped and even more claustrophobic if you're a child wearing a helmet. Will minor with proper license wearing helmets be allowed to drive these things in those states? Don't see why not.

Helmets may limit visibility, and unlike an open motorcycle where head turning has more effect, being doubly confined by the helmet and the car enclosure means visibility will be even more limited. Not safer IMO.

I've been unable to find any crash testing, so I think this is more than a year or two away. I recall hearing about Smart car and Tesla crash testing several years before the cars were available for sale.
Last edited by inbox788 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

inbox788 wrote:
toto238 wrote:From their website it looks like there's only two states left that would still require an Elio driver to wear a helmet. And those states are being worked on as we speak. And neither state is one with a very large population (I want to say it's like Nebraska and Minnesota).
Not even close! Missouri, West Virginia and North Carolina! Montana, Arkansas, Alaska and Hawaii require helmets for minors (various ages).
There are currently three states that require a helmet for the Elio for over 21 year old drivers.
https://support.eliomotors.com/hc/en-us ... -a-helmet-

The thing has a back seat! Looks very cramped and even more claustrophobic if you're a child wearing a helmet. Will minor wearing helmets be allowed to drive these things in those states? Don't see why not.

Helmets may limit visibility, and unlike an open motorcycle where head turning has more effect, being doubly confined by the helmet and the car enclosure means visibility will be even more limited. Not safer IMO.

I've been unable to find any crash testing, so I think this is more than a year or two away. I recall hearing about Smart car and Tesla crash testing several years before the cars were available for sale.
I knew there was a Midwest state and then something more northern-ish. I was thinking of Missouri and Montana I guess. But yeah, mostly drive-through states.

They're doing crash testing over the next few months and are still adamant that manufacturing will begin in the first half of 2016.