Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon Late March

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
swaption

Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon Late March

Post by swaption »

Way off investing, but figure I trust the wisdom here as muach as anywhere. Thinking 8 nights end of March, 2016 with wife and daughters age 15 and 13. Land in Las Vegans, first night in LV, 2 nights Zion, 1 night Bryce, 1 night Page/lake Powell, 2 nights GC South Rim, and 1 night Sedona, fly out of Phoenix (need Sedona to shorten drive on final day). Kids like to hike, but too much of one thing can backfire, so will try to mix it up some with fun things along the way (i.e. jeep tours, horseback riding, etc).

Thoughts on this? Weather ok that time of year? Things to do? Places to stay?
Last edited by swaption on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katie

Re: Zions, Bryce, Grand Canyon Late March

Post by Katie »

I understand the desire to see different things, but that's sort of a lot of driving. Do any of your kids love animals? You might want to look into visiting Best Friends Animal Shelter while you are in the region. I might add an extra day in Las Vegas for the Hoover Dam or Red Rocks Canyon and skip Lake Powell. Too many one night stops and you're spending a lot of time packing and unpacking and driving.

I'd recommend the lodges in Bryce and Zion, but they don't have tv's, so if that is important to your kids, then consider something just outside the park. I particularly liked the cabins in both Parks. They are not luxury accommodations, but it is fun and convenient to be in the park.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Here is link with some suggestions: http://www.utah.com/itineraries/grand_circle.htm
Grand Circle National Parks Tour

My suggestion is two nights at each park. That way one day is the drive to day, next day is to explore.
There is may be things to do on the way to each park, and it allows you not to rush.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Browser

Post by Browser »

Take your parkas. March can be kinda chilly and even snowy where you're planning on going. Grand Canyon is over 7000 feet altitude, you know. North Rim is closed until May so you would have to go to the South Rim.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

I was out there a few years ago, and did not have enough time to spend.
But I did spend the night at the South rim of the Grand Canyon and saw the amazing colors on the rocks at sunset. You need to catch the bus out to the best viewing points. You can not drive out there. Just pray for a sunny evening. It is still a breathtaking place no matter sun or not.
I spent a day in Page. Did not make it to Lake Powell (I saw it ), but did the 1/2 day slow lazy drifting raft trip down the Colorado from Page. The trip down through the tunnel in a bus to the bottom of the dam was very informative, and dark. March is a good time. I went in April. Would not do it in the summer.Also see chief Tootsie (sp) in Page and go to the slot canyons on the outskirts. Amazing.

I did not have enough time to do Bryce and Zion. A major mistake on my part. Would do it all, just add more time to my trip.
It is an amazing place. Be sure to see Monument Valley at sunrise. Stay in the hotel on the Reservation in Monument Valley, and get a room with a view of the sunrise. If you do not, you can still see it ion the patio at the restaurant.

Also was amazed to see the poverty among the Native Americans. You will be amazed at their living conditions as you drive toward Page.

It was a great trip and just wish I had taken a few extra days.
Enjoy
Dan999
ps there are some old threads on this I think, and also use trip advisor forums.
Dan999
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We just did all three of those in April. We also stopped a few hours at Petrified Forest National Park.

It will be cold in March.

We had a blast. We rented an old RV and drove from TX....mostly RV camping but we did some tent camping as well. We were gone Friday through Friday.

I'd like to go back to float the river for a week or so at GC, but otherwise you won't need more than a day to view it. Bryce was beautiful and we enjoyed it. However, Zion took our breath away....I would allocate as much time there as you can.
schnoodlemom

Post by schnoodlemom »

We did something very similar Mar 30 - Apr 7, 2012 with 2 daughters (12 & 15). It was our first trip southwest, so we tried to cover a lot of ground. We stopped in Sedona, Zion, Page (Lake Powell & Glen Canyon Dam), Grand Canyon South Rim. We had hoped to make Bryce too but wanted an extra day in Zion, our favorite spot of the whole trip. We'd even thought we could loop through Monument Valley but driving distances were just getting too long. The weather was dry, sunny and nice but temps varied greatly with time of day and altitude. We hiked in jeans and long sleeve shirts layering as needed with fleece jackets, nylon shells, hats and gloves. We'd love to go back to see what we missed on our first trip!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

A few thoughts

- I liked Bryce more than Zion- but things might be reversed in spring when you are there. Bryce can be cold. You could probably have snow in either or both places that time of year. If so it might be unusually beautiful but you will want good boots.

-Grand Canyon might actually be a letdown after Bryce and Zion. You could do two days in Sedona instead of one.

- Staying out of the park adds to your driving for Bryce. Zion has some good lodging options at the western entrance.

> Be sure to see Monument Valley at sunrise.

Monument valley adds a LOT more driving. Near Page, Horseshoe Bend is right on the road and the 1 mile walk from the parking lot will be a lot easier in March than July.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Bryce and Zion are both beautiful in different ways. The "narrows" at Zion is remarkable and look up at the walls to see climbers not only climbing the sheer walls, but sleeping there overnight. Bryce had snow in May, but I guess it depends on the weather for the year. Hoover Dam is well worth the time and money for the extended tour within the face of the dam. I have seen recent photos of Lake Mead and the water line is so low that you will be able to see a large section of the inlet pipes for Hoover Dam. Enjoy the trip!
caseynshan

Post by caseynshan »

Did similar two years ago (same time of year), and my kids liked it so much we went back next year.

Highlights were zion canyoneering trip w/ guide and zion narrows hike (with dry suits), both were well beyond their limits, which normally would backfire, but these were unique enough they wanted to do them again the next year. but they did need recovery day in between

they didn't love grand canyon or bryce (did horse riding which was kind of cool) (they preferred petrified forest and trilobyte digging [but that is the wrong way for you])
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

This is sort of in our backyard, and we've spent a lot of time exploring the Colorado Plateau over the years. In general, I think that's a good time of year to visit, especially if you like hiking. Temps will be cool/cold at night, but pleasant for physical activity outdoors during the day. The only hesitation is you could have some snow, either falling or still on the ground, that might close off some trails to hiking. On the positive side the parks will be less crowded than they are during peak season, which is a real plus.

If it were my itinerary, I would skip Page/Lake Powell unless there is some specific reason why you wanted to spend a day there. The only reason I would stay at Page is if you wanted to visit Antelope Canyon. You do need reservations, and if that's why you wanted to stay in Page that's worthwhile. If you do skip Page it makes for a longer drive from Bryce to the south rim, but still doable in a day.

I second the recomendation for the lodges at Bryce and Zion. At the Grand Canyon if you want to splurge you can stay at the El Tovar right on the rim. We have never stayed there, but have eaten in the dining room there and give that positive reviews. When we have stayed in hotels at the Grand Canyon we usually stay at Maswik Lodge. It's a short walk away from the rim, and the rooms are basic but comfortable.

Over the years we've come to appreciate Zion as our favorite out of these three. In our opinion it has a more interesting mix of the grandeur of the soaring rock walls in a more intimate canyon compared to the Grand Canyon. At Zion you spend most of your time IN the canyon, whereas in the Grand Canyon you are most looking down from above. Although it's called a canyon, Bryce is actually the edge of a plateau, and while the hoodoos are both fascinating and beautiful, we find Bryce to be kind of one-dimensional compared to either Zion or the Grand Canyon.

There are quite a few hikes in and around Zion. Definitely take the walk out to the narrows. The trail is paved for a mile or two as it winds through the canyon, eventually stopping when the canyon narrows to just the Virgin River. There are places in town that rent gear if you want to continue past the end of the trail and walk up the river a ways. We rented dry suits and did that one year in late November, and that was a great experience (probably requires a sense of adventure). Another popular hike in Zion is the hike to the top of the Angels Landing. There are a few places where you don't want to be afraid of heights on that hike though. The hike to the east rim is also a nice walk that offers some great views of the canyon.

At the Grand Canyon the hike down the Bright Angel trail to Plateau Point lets you look down into the bottom of the Canyon, and is one of our favorites on the south rim.

We have our own 4x4, so we've never been on one of the jeep tours in Sedona, but they are very popular. Our favorite hike in the Sedona area is the West Fork hike. The trailhead is about 10 miles north of town on US 89, and you may get your feet wet crossing the creek depending on the conditions. The hike takes you through a very peaceful and scenic canyon.

Depending on your route from the Grand Canyon to Sedona and available time, you might take a trip out to Wupatki National Monument northeast of Flagstaff. There are a few interesting Indian ruins there.
Dave
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

We did almost exactly that plan two years ago, with 2 old folks (me and DW) and 4 kids & young adults, only in reverse. Used a Globus Tours family package tour, so Globus did all the planning and driving. That way Dad got to enjoy himself and not have to be the bad guy forcing the family to stick to a schedule.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

swaption wrote: Thoughts on this? Weather ok that time of year? Things to do? Places to stay?
Nights are cold...I was there the first week of May and there was light snow at the GC North Rim!

If you end up at Zion/Bryce you are a 40 mile drive from Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. It's closer then Lake Powell and if you want to see Antelope Canyon, I vote skip and see the Buckskin Gulch. Reason being 1) Antelope Canyon is a tourist trap and you won't get a picture without others in the background 2) it's not a huge slot canyon 3) It cost $ and you can see the Buckskin Gulch for a $5 permit.

Buckskin Gulch is one of the longest slot canyons in the world and if you don't want to hike the 21 miles thru you can always hike in and turn back after a few miles. Plus, after the first few miles everything starts to look the same. My wife and I did the 21 miles from Wire Pass to White House campground and it took 12 hours with 50lb backpacks (we planned on sleeping in the canyon). If I did it again I would carry a day pack and easily do it in 8-10 hours.

Also, you can see North Coyote Butte, South Coyote Butte, White Pockets and The Wave (part of North Coyote). You need permit for each and getting a permit for the North Coyote Butte is possible, but highly unlikely. Google "The Wave" and I'm sure you have see the formation on screensavers, backgrounds, commercials, etc which means everyone and their mother from around the world wants to see it. The good news is South Coyote Butte has similar formations and easier to obtain a permit.

You can access the Buckskin Gulch and South Coyote Butte by car (SCB will require a 1.5 mile hike in but it's not bad) and White Pockets WILL REQUIRE 4x4. I rented a 4x4 Tahoe in Vegas and made it to White Pockets and SCB in 4x4 no problem. Keep in mind most rental locations don't allow you to reserve a 4x4 so I booked with every carrier and walked the parking lot with a flashlight until I found a 4x4. Once located, I went to the desk and requested that specific vehicle by license plate.

It's beautiful and I can't wait to go back again - enjoy!
white_water

Post by white_water »

On more than one trip ( we lived a day's drive away) there was enough heavy wet snow that we bailed on tent camping and got dried out / warmed up in motels. Some roads closed due to drifting, so bring clothes for any weather, and maybe a back up plan for vacationing at a lower elevation if need be.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think you should slow down and take more time in Bryce and Zion. Your trip sounds like it could turn into mostly driving, with little time to enjoy the sights.

I live about 50 miles south of the Grand Canyon. March will still be cool, typically 20's at dawn and around 50 in the afternoon. Usually sunny and pleasant, but we do get spring storms and NOAA is saying there is a high probability of a strong El Niño event...perhaps a very strong event. If that materializes, there could be quite a bit of snow on the ground in March.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

ddurrett896 wrote:
swaption wrote: Thoughts on this? Weather ok that time of year? Things to do? Places to stay?
Buckskin Gulch is one of the longest slot canyons in the world and if you don't want to hike the 21 miles thru you can always hike in and turn back after a few miles. Plus, after the first few miles everything starts to look the same. My wife and I did the 21 miles from Wire Pass to White House campground and it took 12 hours with 50lb backpacks (we planned on sleeping in the canyon). If I did it again I would carry a day pack and easily do it in 8-10 hours.
In the summer time Buckskin Gulch is an adventure that is relatively accessible to exerienced hikers who are in good condition.

However, beware that you are quite likely to find standing water in Buckskin Gluch, up to waist deep, and it will be very cold water in March. I'm not sure I'd recomend this for inexperienced canyoneers in March. There will also be some scrambling involved.

In canyoneering terms we rate Buckskin Gulch as 2B V, which means:

Technical: Class 2 - Basic Canyoneering Scrambling, easy climbing or downclimbing. A rope may be handy for handlines, belays, lowering packs and emergency use. Exit or retreat possible upcanyon without fixed ropes.

Water: B - Water with no current or light current. Still pools. Falls are normally dry or running at a trickle. Swimming expected.

Duration: V - More than one day. Normally done in two days.

As ddurrett896 says you can hike down Wire Pass to the Gulch, and then turn back when you want or at the first pool you encounter.
Dave
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

swaption wrote:Way off investing, but figure I trust the wisdom here as muach as anywhere. Thinking 8 nights end of March, 2016 with wife and daughters age 15 and 13. Land in Las Vegans, first night in LV, 2 nights Zions, 1 night Bryce, 1 night Page/lake Powell, 2 nights GC South Rim, and 1 night Sedona, fly out of Phoenix (need Sedona to shorten drive on final day). Kids like to hike, but too much of one thing can backfire, so will try to mix it up some with fun things along the way (i.e. jeep tours, horseback riding, etc).

Thoughts on this? Weather ok that time of year? Things to do? Places to stay?
I'll spend 5 weeks at Lake Powell this year. Needless to say, I think one night is about the equivalent of stepping on the brakes a little as you drive by. What's the point? What do you hope to do that day? I guess if you're willing to commit to it, you could take the tourist boat from Page up to Rainbow Bridge. That might be worth a night there. It would also be a day off from hiking for the kids. Not sure how hard core the kids are, but hiking down the Paria to where Buckskin Gulch comes in is well off the beaten path and would probably be nice in March. I've done Buckskin twice in April and enjoyed it. That's less than an hour from Page.

I think Sedona is a great addition to the itinerary, one missed by many visitors to the Southwest.

I'm not sure Bryce in March is such a hot idea. I usually find some snow in the canyons at Zion that time of year, and Bryce is 5000 feet higher. Expect winter conditions there. Might still be a fun hike, but you won't need your shorts. Probably pretty with some snow on the rocks though.

Not sure how old the kids are, but the more advanced of hikers they are, the better Zion National Park is. Try not to call it "Zions" though, makes you look like a yeahoo. A couple of days there is about right unless you're into more serious adventure. That's enough time to walk up the narrows a bit (get the dry pants and canyoneering boots), do Angel's Landing, maybe get up to one of the rims, and do a couple of the shorter hikes.

Two nights at GC South might seem like a lot depending on whether you're planning a significant hike down into the canyon. We "did" the South Rim in 2 hours on our most recent trip from Utah to Phoenix. That wasn't enough time (although the kids all got their junior ranger award), but if I had 48 hours there, I'd have to find something more to do than go to all the lookouts and look down into the Canyon. Bear in mind it is a pretty short drive from Page to the South Rim. It's also not far from there to Sedona.

Have a great trip. It's beautiful country.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

DFrank wrote:
ddurrett896 wrote:
In the summer time Buckskin Gulch is an adventure that is relatively accessible to exerienced hikers who are in good condition.

However, beware that you are quite likely to find standing water in Buckskin Gluch, up to waist deep, and it will be very cold water in March. I'm not sure I'd recomend this for inexperienced canyoneers in March. There will also be some scrambling involved.

In canyoneering terms we rate Buckskin Gulch as 2B V, which means:

Technical: Class 2 - Basic Canyoneering Scrambling, easy climbing or downclimbing. A rope may be handy for handlines, belays, lowering packs and emergency use. Exit or retreat possible upcanyon without fixed ropes.

Water: B - Water with no current or light current. Still pools. Falls are normally dry or running at a trickle. Swimming expected.

Duration: V - More than one day. Normally done in two days.

As ddurrett896 says you can hike down Wire Pass to the Gulch, and then turn back when you want or at the first pool you encounter.
Buckskin in summer? Sounds brutal. You'll be more than glad to jump into those pools, if they're still there, in mid-summer. I think April and early May are the best time for Buckskin. While it can be done in a day, the overnight stay at the confluence is nice (especially if you can camp comfortably without 50 lbs of gear.) The best day trip, IMHO, is from Whitehouse down to the confluence, a little ways up Buckskin, and back. The prettiest parts of the canyon are the mile above and below the confluence.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

caseynshan wrote:Did similar two years ago (same time of year), and my kids liked it so much we went back next year.

Highlights were zion canyoneering trip w/ guide and zion narrows hike (with dry suits), both were well beyond their limits, which normally would backfire, but these were unique enough they wanted to do them again the next year. but they did need recovery day in between

they didn't love grand canyon or bryce (did horse riding which was kind of cool) (they preferred petrified forest and trilobyte digging [but that is the wrong way for you])
Bear in mind you cannot canyoneer with a guide inside the park (it's illegal.) When you hire a guide to go canyoneering, they take you to a canyon outside the park. Still a great experience, but don't expect to be able to hire somebody to take you through Keyhole/Pine Creek/Mystery/Subway etc (not that most of those are very comfortable in March anyway.) You certainly don't need a guide to explore the narrows.
White Coat Investor

Katie wrote:I understand the desire to see different things, but that's sort of a lot of driving. Do any of your kids love animals? You might want to look into visiting Best Friends Animal Shelter while you are in the region. I might add an extra day in Las Vegas for the Hoover Dam or Red Rocks Canyon and skip Lake Powell. Too many one night stops and you're spending a lot of time packing and unpacking and driving.

I'd recommend the lodges in Bryce and Zion, but they don't have tv's, so if that is important to your kids, then consider something just outside the park. I particularly liked the cabins in both Parks. They are not luxury accommodations, but it is fun and convenient to be in the park.
It might seem like a lot of driving to some, but we drive from SLC to Phoenix in a day, and you can pretty much drive from Salt Lake, through all the locations on your list, and to Phoenix in 16 hours or so. Even less starting in Vegas. I think it's a very reasonable drive to do in 7 days. Zion to Bryce, for instance, is 1 hour 20 minutes. Page to the South Rim is 140 miles. South Rim to Sedona is 120. Just not a big deal.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

EmergDoc wrote:Buckskin in summer? Sounds brutal. You'll be more than glad to jump into those pools, if they're still there, in mid-summer. I think April and early May are the best time for Buckskin. While it can be done in a day, the overnight stay at the confluence is nice (especially if you can camp comfortably without 50 lbs of gear.) The best day trip, IMHO, is from Whitehouse down to the confluence, a little ways up Buckskin, and back. The prettiest parts of the canyon are the mile above and below the confluence.
Peace.

My point is I don't think I'd send an inexperienced canyoneer into Buckskin in March.
Dave
White Coat Investor

DFrank wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:Buckskin in summer? Sounds brutal. You'll be more than glad to jump into those pools, if they're still there, in mid-summer. I think April and early May are the best time for Buckskin. While it can be done in a day, the overnight stay at the confluence is nice (especially if you can camp comfortably without 50 lbs of gear.) The best day trip, IMHO, is from Whitehouse down to the confluence, a little ways up Buckskin, and back. The prettiest parts of the canyon are the mile above and below the confluence.
Peace.

My point is I don't think I'd send an inexperienced canyoneer into Buckskin in March.
Especially with his kids! But the out and back from Whitehouse could be done. If they got sick of it, they could just turn around and walk back to the car.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

This is a very useful and informative thread. I hope to be in Zion/Bryce in early Oct. Thanks to all the experienced folks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (Canyon).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

EmergDoc wrote:
Especially with his kids! But the out and back from Whitehouse could be done. If they got sick of it, they could just turn around and walk back to the car.
It's not big deal going in at Wirepass to the junction with kids - I'd do it with an 8 year old. You can experience the narrow slots 1.5 miles in from Wirepass where starting at Whitehouse is 3-4 miles until you see deep, tall canyons. It may be because it was at the end of my 21 miles, but I feel like the last 4 miles to Whitehouse was just a drag following a sandy river bed, looking for power lines!
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I visited Bryce and Zion in early April of this year, both were fabulous. There was a bit of snow in shady spots in Bryce and one of the trails was closed, the other trails were dry and passable. I second the recommendation to spend at least two days each in Bryce and Zion. Temps during the week I was there ranged from 32 in Bryce to 80s in Zion. Zion was much more crowded than Bryce, likely due to the weather.
giantyankz

Post by giantyankz »

We just spent 2 weeks in May visiting Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Mesa Verde. After visiting Sedona for 4 days, the GC for 2, Zion for 3 and Bryce for 1 we were essentially "rocked out" by the time we got to the parks further east. If I were to do the trip over again I would just do the parks that you are planning for but would not bother with stopping in Page. We drove through on our way to Zion and were not that impressed. It was a 5 hours drive from GC South Rim to Zion so there really is no need to stay a night. Add a night to one of the parks or better yet Sedona.

I would absolutely stay at the Rim of the GC, we stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge for 2 nights and were able to walk most of the Rim Trail and several miles of both the Bright Angel and South Kaibab Trails. We were incredibly impressed with the bus service in the park and never moved our car once we parked at the lodge. Zion was probably our favorite park but we stayed right outside in Springdale, UT. There are numerous hotels just outside the park here so I do not think it is that important to stay inside the park at Zion. We stayed at a very nice Hampton Inn about a mile from the park entrance and had no issues parking in Zion and then taking the shuttle buses throughout the park. There are so many amazing hiking trials in the park and we stayed 3 full days at Zion. Bryce is only 2 hours from Zion and I wish we had just made it a day trip. It is a stunning place to visit, so different than anything else you will see, but we really only needed a day there. I would stay inside the park at Bryce if possible because there is not much in the way of options nearby. There are a few Best Westerns but there were very few places to eat and there was nothing else to do outside the park.

One of our favorite parts of the trip was the 4 days we spent in Sedona. Just a beautiful area with so much to do from hiking to fabulous restaurants. On the drive from the GC to Sedona be sure to drive down Oak Creek Canyon (89A) rather than Rt 17. The drive itself is stunning.

The weather was quite interesting on our trip in May with one day in Zion topping out at 35 degrees and the next day reaching 70. Bryce and the GC also had huge temperature swings so be prepared.
Topic Author
swaption

Re: Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon Late March

Post by swaption »

Thank you all. While obviously not a travel forum, clearly I came to the right place. This is now what I am thinking:

1 Night Vegas – Land late, visit Hoover Dam next day, and then drive to Zion (double back a bit, but it is what it is)
3 Nights Zion – Really ends up being two full days, likely depart early for Bryce
1 Night Bryce – Activity/sightseeing on day of arrival, anticipate early departure for long drive to GC South Rim
2 Nights Grand Canyon – Early departure for Sedona, so might really be one full day (but two sunsets)
1 Night Sedona – Arrive by say lunch time leaving time for activity/sightseeing, early departure for airport in Phoenix next day

Weather, as suspected is relevant in the above, and primary motivation for only one night in Bryce, but still seems like something worth a visit. Thinking to stay in the park for Bryce and Grand Canyon, and in Springdale for Zion. This also leaves time for something to break up the drive from Bryce to the Grand Canyon.
White Coat Investor

ddurrett896 wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:
It's not big deal going in at Wirepass to the junction with kids - I'd do it with an 8 year old. You can experience the narrow slots 1.5 miles in from Wirepass where starting at Whitehouse is 3-4 miles until you see deep, tall canyons. It may be because it was at the end of my 21 miles, but I feel like the last 4 miles to Whitehouse was just a drag following a sandy river bed, looking for power lines!
I've never been so happy to see power lines, but trust me when I say that last 4 miles is a lot better if you haven't just walked 17. I agree that wire pass is nice too (especially the petroglyphs at the junction) but I think if a 6-8 mile hike is doable, you're better off coming in from whitehouse. Just my opinion. Looks like he's just driving past it though, probably won't even notice when he drives over the Pariah on his way to the GC from Bryce.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

swaption wrote:Thank you all. While obviously not a travel forum, clearly I came to the right place. This is now what I am thinking:

1 Night Vegas – Land late, visit Hoover Dam next day, and then drive to Zion (double back a bit, but it is what it is)
3 Nights Zion – Really ends up being two full days, likely depart early for Bryce
1 Night Bryce – Activity/sightseeing on day of arrival, anticipate early departure for long drive to GC South Rim
2 Nights Grand Canyon – Early departure for Sedona, so might really be one full day (but two sunsets)
1 Night Sedona – Arrive by say lunch time leaving time for activity/sightseeing, early departure for airport in Phoenix next day

Weather, as suspected is relevant in the above, and primary motivation for only one night in Bryce, but still seems like something worth a visit. Thinking to stay in the park for Bryce and Grand Canyon, and in Springdale for Zion. This also leaves time for something to break up the drive from Bryce to the Grand Canyon.
If I was in your position knowing what I know now, I would split this into two different drips - 1 trip north and 1 south of the Grand Canyon. Reason being is because there is TONS of stuff in Utah and Arizona and combining them in a week will leave you spending a lot of time behind the windshield.The drive between Bryce and Sedona is 7 hours. Plus, unless your hiking down into the GC after an hour I was happy to move to the next destination.

I would fly to Vegas and hit Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument then head north to Capital Reef National Park and/or Archs National Park (high on my to do list), MOAB, Canyonlands National Park then fly out of Salt Lake City OR drive back to Vegas for the day.

On the next trip head south to Hover Dam, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Kaibab National Forest, Havasu falls (Google it) then fly out of Phoenix OR head back to Vegas.
Topic Author
swaption

Post by swaption »

ddurrett896 wrote:
swaption wrote:Thank you all. While obviously not a travel forum, clearly I came to the right place. This is now what I am thinking:

If I was in your position knowing what I know now, I would split this into two different drips - 1 trip north and 1 south of the Grand Canyon. Reason being is because there is TONS of stuff in Utah and Arizona and combining them in a week will leave you spending a lot of time behind the windshield.The drive between Bryce and Sedona is 7 hours. Plus, unless your hiking down into the GC after an hour I was happy to move to the next destination.

I would fly to Vegas and hit Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument then head north to Capital Reef National Park and/or Archs National Park (high on my to do list), MOAB, Canyonlands National Park then fly out of Salt Lake City OR drive back to Vegas for the day.

On the next trip head south to Hover Dam, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Kaibab National Forest, Havasu falls (Google it) then fly out of Phoenix OR head back to Vegas.
Thanks. Wish I could say there was some expectation to get the family back, or even do this as part of much longer trip. But life being what it is, it's actually been a bit of a challenge to get this trip on the radar. My assumption is this is a one time family trip. In terms of driving, it looks like I have a 5 hour leg from Bryce to GC, but otherwise relatively manageable.
v338241

Post by v338241 »

Hello - one of the best ways to experience Bryce is via the horseback trail ride. My wife & I did it years ago during a summer month and it was spectacular. March maybe too early for that, but if it is available, I would recommend it.
Enjoy your family, you will have a great time!
Topic Author
swaption

Post by swaption »

v338241 wrote:Hello - one of the best ways to experience Bryce is via the horseback trail ride. My wife & I did it years ago during a summer month and it was spectacular. March maybe too early for that, but if it is available, I would recommend it.
Enjoy your family, you will have a great time!
Thanks. Kind of had Bryce earmarked for a horseback riding trip, but alas this not available in March. Looks like there is availability in March at Zion, so this may be how we do it, and I think perhaps further supporting the weather motivated 3 night stay in Zion.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

May be a bit of driving but its nice all drives. Zion is my favorite Natl park.....you will love this trip.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Spend more time at Bryce and Zion. I'd skip GC entirely or just do a quick couple of hours rim hike. CG is horrendously touristy - wall to wall tour buses and overrun with the thunderous herd that rides on them, expensive, seriously overrated compared to the parks in Utah. Maybe visit Moab and/or Arches. Sedona very scenic but can be excessively touristy and expensive.