FIOS Router. Can you use your own?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
skinhealer

FIOS Router. Can you use your own?

Post by skinhealer »

Wanted to find out if any of the members have Fios TV/Internet?

I wanted to use my own router is that possible. I have an apple router, don't mind getting an another router but do not want
the Verizon one which is $200 or pay $9.99 each month.

Wanted to find out if any of the Bogle head community users use their own router for FIOS Internet and if so what router do you use?
alg0280

Re: FIOS Router. Can you use your own?

Post by alg0280 »

Yes you can, but the various configurations depend on whether you have Internet only or Internet + TV. The STBs depend on internet access over MoCA that the Actiontec router provides, there are alternatives but that is the easiest way to accomplish it. I run my own router as primary, but I have an older FiOS Actiontec router(from when they gave them for free and it was yours to keep) to act as a MoCA bridge

DSLReports covers this and all the configurations in great detail. The FAQ there is how I figured out how to set mine up.
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077
RoC

Post by RoC »

I was under the impression that you needed to have their router set up, even if you don't use it as your wireless access point. I know people who use their Apple wireless router, but in their basement they still have their Verizon FIOS router hooked up. I don't think they were able to get around using the Verizon router in their house, but I'd have to double check that with them.

A while back I wanted to upgrade my FIOS router but Verizon was going to charge me $100 to upgrade to the new router, plus a monthly rental fee. So I bought one brand new off eBay for $40 (including shipping). I set it up myself, and then called them to activate the MAC address. It's been working great ever since. So that might an option for you to consider. Though my coworker recently tried to buy one on eBay, and I don't know if his timing was bad or if maybe mine was good, but he got his for about $50-$55 if I remember correctly. So maybe the prices have gone up since I got mine.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

I have the Actiontec https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-acces ... fi-router/ and it's fine, I bought it from Verizon for $75. You can probably find perfectly good refurbs or used ones on ebay for less.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

You have to use the Verizon router if you have coax running from the ONT to the router.
pochax

Post by pochax »

alg0280 wrote:Yes you can, but the various configurations depend on whether you have Internet only or Internet + TV. The STBs depend on internet access over MoCA that the Actiontec router provides, there are alternatives but that is the easiest way to accomplish it. I run my own router as primary, but I have an older FiOS Actiontec router(from when they gave them for free and it was yours to keep) to act as a MoCA bridge

DSLReports covers this and all the configurations in great detail. The FAQ there is how I figured out how to set mine up.
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077
+1. I use the Actiontec (coax cable goes into it) but then use my own TPLink Dual Band Wireless AC Router as the wireless radio. There are several How-Tos to do this but you probably should be at least somewhat tech-savvy before you try this.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

Just curious, why would one want to do this? Security? Economy? other?
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

JohnFiscal wrote:Just curious, why would one want to do this? Security? Economy? other?
Looks like they are charging him $9.99/month as router rental.

FiOS never charged me anything for router. In fact, they asked me to keep it after the service is over and I am not using the same router with Comcast :-)

So yes, you can use your own router with Verizon,Comcast and maybe other services too