Greatest money lesson movie

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

Re: Greatest money lesson movie

Post by MP173 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:53 pm

"OTher People's Money"

Ed

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I would suggest viewing Professor Perry Mehrlings Coursera Class, The money view, Micro and Macro, (Economics of Money and Banking (Parts 1-2) : Lectures of global financial history, its workings, collusions and manipulations.
Last edited by snowshoes on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Robert T

Post by Robert T » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Not sure about the 'Greatest' but certainly informative lessons from history.

The Crash of 1929
House of Cards
The Madoff Affair
The Trillion Dollar Bet

Robert

black jack

Post by black jack » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Thief (1981): There's a price to getting too attached to material things.

The Bicycle Thief (1949): how easily a good man's efforts to get ahead can be undone by circumstances (alternate moral: always lock up your bike).
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

coacher

Post by coacher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 pm

It could happen to you

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Erich von Stroheim's silent classic "Greed" especially in the restored 4 hour version sometimes shown on TCM hasn't been mentioned. The whole film deals with the corrupting force of gold and money with an unqualified, charlatan dentist and his relationship with his wife who turns into a miser after she wins a lottery. The very morally corrupt protagonist finds himself in Death Valley with his friend-turned-enemy, hordes of stolen gold and very little drinking water in an unforgettable finale. It's a terrific film, though hardly light viewing. Unfortunately, the 8 hour original version will probably never be found as the studio hacked it to pieces after its first preview. The restoration is very impressive and compelling film making indeed.

Another great film dealing with money and finance which was also chopped up against its director's wishes is Orson Welles' "The Magnificent Ambersons". This turn of the 20th Century period piece story of the spoiled scion of a rich family "getting his comeuppance" when the family finances aren't tended to because of bad financial planning and the coming new technology of automobiles is still a incredible film, even in its shortened state. Among its stars are Joseph Cotten, Tim Holt, Dolores Costello, Agnes Moorehead and Anne Baxter. Highly recommended.
Last edited by CrossOverGuy on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Daughter

Post by The Daughter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

nisiprius wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945).
Really? It's been a long time since I read the book--I'm not sure I've ever seen the movie--I remember loving it, but not much about it--"there is a tree that grows in Brooklyn which some people call the Tree of Heaven..." What's the money lesson?
Maybe that it sucks to be poor, so do your homework?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:45 pm

MP173 wrote:"OTher People's Money"

Ed
The novel by Jerome Wiedman?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:24 pm

The Daughter wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
Really? It's been a long time since I read the book--I'm not sure I've ever seen the movie--I remember loving it, but not much about it--"there is a tree that grows in Brooklyn which some people call the Tree of Heaven..." What's the money lesson?
One of the themes in this movie is that even though the family lives in poverty the mother scrimps and saves and tries to instill values of thrift with the idea that there could be a better life in the future even though everything looks pretty dismal. She has a money jar and she is always telling her kids how if they keep putting in coins they can one day invest the money and it will grow and they can buy some land etc...

scottj19707

Post by scottj19707 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:24 pm

"The Gambler" (2014).
Last edited by scottj19707 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.”-Marilyn vos Savant; “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.”-Albert Einstein; VTI/VXUS/BND

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:51 am

Princes of The Yen.

An outstanding documentary about central banking and the geo politics of money.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:26 pm

parsi1 wrote:This is not a movie and it is available on youtube: The Retirement Gamble-Frontline-PBS (documentary)
Inspired by this post, I watched this one tonight. Highly recommended! Some great clips of Mr. Bogle dropping truth bombs. :D

P.S. I wasn't able to find it on YouTube, but the Frontline website has it available to watch for free. I set it to full-screen and Chromecasted it to my living room TV. Worked great!
Stay on target...

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:27 pm

The Gambler, 2014. John goodman is a loan shark who lectures "the gambler" about knowing when to stop and go home. I forget the amount he says, but basically he says when you get a mortgage paid off and X dollars in the bank, you can tell everyone "F___ You!." For example, when your boss tells you to do something you don't want to do, you can tell him "F___ You!" It is his way of saying you have financial independence. Best several lines of the movie.

We all need to get to our "F___ You" number!

gasdoc

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 pm

The Producers. This should be required viewing in every Business College Degree program.
A fool and his money are good for business.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Money for Nothing: Inside the Federal Reserve /NFLX/ by Leiv Schreiber

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:21 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
The Daughter wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
One of the themes in this movie is that even though the family lives in poverty the mother scrimps and saves and tries to instill values of thrift with the idea that there could be a better life in the future even though everything looks pretty dismal. She has a money jar and she is always telling her kids how if they keep putting in coins they can one day invest the money and it will grow and they can buy some land etc...
In the book the lessons of thrift and the dream of buying land did not end well. I believe the mother ended up using the money in the can to bury her alcoholic husband and for paying for other necessary things. The dream of a better life through saving was proved a delusion.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:08 am

The book "Mama's Bank Account" by Kathyrn Forbes which was the basis for the movie and play "I Remember Mama" was chockfull of wonderful financial lessons. Don't remember if the subsequent movie was. In the book there was the memorably cheap Norwegian uncle who after he died was revealed as having used all his money to pay the medical bills of poor children. And there was the renter who skipped out without paying his rent, but who left behind a collection of classic literary works and mama declared the books a far better value than all that lost rent and made her children read them. And there was the story of mama negotiating payment of medical bills. And of course there was the mythic bank account. Terrific little book. :D

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 am

War Of The Roses

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 am

I'm shocked no one's mentioned the greatest money movie of all. Why, of course, it's The Cocoanuts, the 1929 Marx Brothers film reflecting the 1920s Florida land boom. As Groucho hawks land of dubious value:

"You can have any kind of home you want to. You can even get stucco! Oh, how you can get stuck-oh!"

Have to say, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, based on the novel by the mysterious B. Traven, is also excellent. I highly recommend reading Traven's books as well.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:09 am

My favorites have already been mentioned, but one that I would add is "Too Big to Fail" - a dramatized account of the 2008 financial meltdown. I just recently saw it and I found the focus on Paulson (played by William Hurt) and all the factors he was trying to balance to be absolutely fascinating.

Edited to add: I believe it is still free on Amazon prime video

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:34 am

Boglehead lessons :John Goodman in The Gambler

Pure Captialism lesson: The Godfather

FuzzyButtons

Post by FuzzyButtons » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:53 am

mmmodem wrote:An episode of Saved by the Bell before it was called that had the kids learning about the stock market.
http://www.tv.com/m/shows/good-morning- ... eet-34124/
It was 1988. The lesson plan had the children buy real stocks for $2 and see how it performs. Zack needed some quick money and decides to hack the computer and buy stock on margin. He was using the teacher's account and winds up losing her money.

I remember watching that show and not understanding much of it besides don't ever buy on margin whatever that meant. Why write a show about the stock market to elementary school kids? Then my 6th grade teacher ran the exact same experiment except obviously, the computers were not connected to the stock market, everything we bought was pretend. I made some good money on pretend IBM.
We did that with a simulator in my senior year of high school. But that was fall 1987. Everybody decided the lesson was you should never invest in the stock market. :shock:

Best money movie: Wall Street. "Carl Fox: Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others."