lock for $500 bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Teetlebaum

lock for $500 bike

Post by Teetlebaum » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:41 pm

My previous bikes were WalMart bikes, but under the influence of wealthy bogleheads, I've spent the princely sum of $500 on a mountain bike. I don't live in a particularly high crime area, but say I want to occasionally park my bike for half an hour at Walmart, how much is reasonable to spend on a lock? $50?

Raybo

Re: lock for $500 bike

Post by Raybo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm

If you really want to be sure it will be back when you exit the store, get 2 locks that are different. I'd recommend a cable lock and a "U" Lock, making it harder for the thieves to do the job quickly. Cable locks are not expensive, $10-$15. "U" locks are a bit pricier, maybe $25+.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm

I use a kryptonite kryptoflex 1218 combo cable on my $450 mountain bike in the suburbs. $23.61 from amazon.

Kryptonite gives it a security rating of 3/10. It's not going to stop a real bike thief. But I've been using that for 4 years and nobody has stolen
my bike. That said I only park for an hour here or there while out. I don't use it to park all day at work or anything. I'm also in the suburbs.

I did have an ipod shuffle and speaker stolen from my locked bike once outside a Target. But they didn't take the bike.

I like this lock because:
1) it's combination. I don't need a key
2) I can set the combination
3) it comes with a carrying hook which attaches to my frame.

Warning: There are negative comments about the lock combo changing by 1 digit due to the locking mechanism. That did happen to me once.

russellh

Post by russellh » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:18 am

Get a U lock. The cable locks can be cut like string with a bolt cutter. I have personal experience with this.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:53 am

As the old saying goes - "the best lock for your bike is your eyes." I would visit my local bike store to get their opinion. I have a couple of Kryptonite U-locks but that doesn't mean those can't be circumvented by a bad guy. I found a video of a bad guy using a Bic pen to break the lock. And there are many other methods with different locks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +bike+lock

ETA: "best"
Last edited by dumbbunny on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:47 am

You will never stop a true professional 100% of the time. They will bring the tools and talent to get what they want most of the time. (This axiom goes for home security, computer security, etc.) You want to always discourage the amateurs and lower professionals, though.

The U-bolt style is far superior to the chains. I have also seen many people will take off their front tire (not convenient in many instances) and/or seat (convenience?). Also, where you park it helps. The front of a busy store like that (with cameras!) is deterrent enough for some of the would-be thieves, even unlocked.

Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 am

All the new Kryptonites cannot be broken with a Bic pen, that was an older style from years ago.

I like the Ulocks, they are quite sturdy. Small ones are lighter than heavier ones which matters a lot to me since I am a small person. On the other hand, back wheels are more expensive to front wheels, if you can run something through frame and the back wheel that is superior than locking the frame alone. Never lock a bike only with the wheel and no frame, you will come back to a locked wheel and no bike.

I never leave my lights on the bike while I am gone. Most lights are easily removable and cannot be locked so that you can charge the batteries, but it is easy for anyone to remove a light and walk away. I do sometimes leave my helmet on the bike with the lock running through one of it straps, it would be easy for someone to cut a strap but then the helmet would be useless.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:46 am

I spent about $50 on a lock and park it in moderately-highish crime areas all the time. No problems so far. I use both an OnGuard U-lock and a cable for the front tire.

autonomy

Post by autonomy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:57 am

As mentioned, get a U-lock and a cable for one of your wheels. Here's the best way to use a ULock, courtesy of Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
http://lifehacker.com/5942301/the-prope ... ur-bicycle
russellh wrote:Get a U lock. The cable locks can be cut like string with a bolt cutter. I have personal experience with this.
I had a cable lock tumbler mechanism fail on me - it was old and I left it in the rain for a couple days. This was on my deck. I cut it with a cheap pair of hand wire cutters in about a minute. It was so easy, I made a video where I held the camera in one hand and cut the lock again one-handed. The wire cutters are extremely easy to conceal, so definitely use a U-lock.

Cable locks just make it difficult for someone to carry out a 'grab & go' theft. They are not difficult to defeat, U-locks are.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am

When I was riding my mountain bike around college, I learned quickly to use a U-lock and also replace the quick release wheel hub locks and seat post clamp with bolts and nuts. They can still come off but require a set of wrenches and time. I don't know how many times I saw a frame of a bike chained to a bike rack with no wheels or seats which also have value. I never lost mine.

I am reminded of a time in college when I was looking for a used mountain bike and a friend of a friend said he had several and would sell me one. When we got over to his garage, I saw an entire bike rack with about six mountain bikes still chained to it. I declined to purchase one but I say this because your bike lock is only as good as whatever you attach it too.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 am

In addition : put it in the lowest gear you have,with the chain on those rings. Then take the front wheel off and put it with the frame and back wheel .Then release the wheel lock on the back wheel and release the brake to the back wheel. Even if the lock gets cut , assembly will require time and it will not be ready to ride in the gear its in at speed and without back brake . Unless a PRO bike thief gets it and just throws it in the get away van.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:56 am

You've received good advice so far but I would say most of it is overkill. If you live in a relatively low crime area and will be leaving your bike in mostly high traffic areas (Walmart, grocery stores) I would go with a simple cable and either tumbler lock or master lock. REI sells them in various lengths and thicknesses. U-locks are good but a pain to carry around. I park my everyday 6 year old bike (~$1200 new) in areas like you describe and use a basic cable with no problems.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:18 am

I had my $400 bike stolen in college with a cable lock. Go with a U lock and replace the wheel and seat quick releases. Try to lock the frame and one of the wheels through the bike rack.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 am

TiGr (TiGr.com) titanium bar and harden stainless steel german/special cut key, lock.
2# weight. Don't lose the key because a diamond wheelgrinder will take some time to cut it.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:57 am

itstoomuch wrote:TiGr (TiGr.com) titanium bar and harden stainless steel german/special cut key, lock.
2# weight. Don't lose the key because a diamond wheelgrinder will take some time to cut it.
Cool locks, thanks. URL is actually: https://tigrlock.com/
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny ...:... One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

hyla

Post by hyla » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:08 pm

I lock my bikes (value $200 - $1200) with a $40 kryptonite u-lock and have never had a problem, even occasionally leaving bikes locked for a week at a time. I occasionally double up and use a cable as well to thread through the wheels on my bikes that have quick releases, but honestly, it's probably overkill. I'm in a pretty low crime area.

I think u-locks are easier to carry around than cables (heavier, but more compact) but some people find cables easier to use, and they are nice if your area lacks real bike racks and you need to lock to stuff like trees and telephone poles that a u-lock won't fit on.

A good general rule of thumb is to do a slightly better job locking your bike than others in your area do. Yeah, someone could cut my u-lock with power tools if they want to. But who's going to bother when it's next to someone else's nice bike that's locked with a skinny little cable you could cut with pliers?

jhawktx

Post by jhawktx » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Combination locks should be avoided. There is a YouTube showing how easy it is to foil the lock by noticing the spacing between the numbers as you turn. With just a bit of practice these locks can be opened in under 20 seconds. The only tools you need are your fingers.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:35 pm

jhawktx wrote:Combination locks should be avoided. There is a YouTube showing how easy it is to foil the lock by noticing the spacing between the numbers as you turn. With just a bit of practice these locks can be opened in under 20 seconds. The only tools you need are your fingers.
That might work for a combo cable lock, I don't believe it works for a combo U lock or at least it won't be near as easy. I've used a combo U lock on my second bike for years in a high bike theft area.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:40 pm

I like this Kryptonite lock from Walmart :happy
link below

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite-4- ... K/10370936
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

linuxizer

Post by linuxizer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Bought a Kryptonite New Yorker U-lock in 1999. Still using it. Have used it in New York, Boston, and Philadelphia. My car has been broken into but never my bike.

Also second replacing the quick releases with bolts. Have never had any problems, although if I parked regularly in Manhattan something like Pitlocks might be worth the money.

Bike couriers supposedly advise newbies to spend more on locks than on the bike.

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:31 pm

You're paying the money not just to protect a $500 bike, but also to avoid the inconvenience of walking home with an armload of shopping, etc. You can't avoid a professional bike thief with a cordless angle grinder and an unobserved 2-5 minutes, but a professional is unlikely to risk going after a $500 bike.

You're also generally 'camping in bear country'...you don't have to be ironclad secure, you just need to not be the easiest mark.

Make your bike easily identifiable. I recommend some very identifiable and hard to remove reflective tape (plus night visibility). My wife and I took pics of our bikes with and without flash, stitched them together with the serial number on the image and keep that on our phones.

Get a U-Lock. Lock using the Sheldon Brown strategy (lock the back tire through the triangle, include the frame if you can/want) etc. etc.
http://www.sfbike.org/resources/theft-locking/

I've only had bikes stolen on cables. U-lock, Combo U-lock, Abus folding locks have never had a problem (even in SF and Oakland). Replace quick releases unless you really use them/need them. You don't necessarily need fancy component locks, with just a allen wrench seatpost stay and front wheel skewer I've never lost a seat / front wheel. I sometimes use an additional cable to secure the front wheel when I'm paranoid; though I haven't even carried a cable for the past couple years.

I wonder how many people would say "Since your old car isn't worth more than $1000 anymore and you live in a low crime area, just leave the keys in it."
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:41 pm

roymeo wrote: Get a U-Lock. Lock using the Sheldon Brown strategy (lock the back tire through the triangle, include the frame if you can/want) etc. etc.
http://www.sfbike.org/resources/theft-locking/
+1 This is basically what I do too. The Sheldon Brown method is brilliant.

The other problem is that accessories and parts disappear sometimes. My neighbor had his panniers stolen, and a co-worker lost his saddle (ouch!)
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 pm

I did some lock research and the Abus line of folding locks looks really good, except maybe the 6050 which takes some shortcuts to be extra-light. The 6100/90 combo (no key needed) would be handy for the beach, where no key is cool. Otherwise a 6000 (key) or 6500 (heavy bomb-proof) looks great. Google around....
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny ...:... One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:30 am

yukonjack wrote:You've received good advice so far but I would say most of it is overkill. If you live in a relatively low crime area and will be leaving your bike in mostly high traffic areas (Walmart, grocery stores) I would go with a simple cable and either tumbler lock or master lock. REI sells them in various lengths and thicknesses. U-locks are good but a pain to carry around. I park my everyday 6 year old bike (~$1200 new) in areas like you describe and use a basic cable with no problems.
+1.

I use the same type of cable Walmart uses to secure the lawn tractors etc. Those are more valuable and easier to fence than my bike, so I really only have to protect against joy riders.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 am

You must be in a really bad part of town that anyone would consider stealing a $450-500 bike. Must be mostly joyriders, there can't be much of a market for those.

People who ride expensive bikes don't buy bike locks. They simply NEVER leave their bike anywhere it could actually be stolen. Their bikes are stolen from their garages or off the bike rack of their car. When they go to a hotel, it goes into the room with them. A store? It goes inside. Work? It's behind the desk or in a locked closet etc. My mountain bike goes garage to trailhead back to garage. Road bike is garage to garage. You want my bike? You're going to have to break into my home or mug me for it.

So your question is how good of a lock do you need to keep the joyriders away? In my experience, pretty much any lock will do. A dedicated bike thief can take off ANY LOCK in 15 seconds, so the key is to avoid the temptation by either not leaving the bike anywhere or making it so unappealing to steal that no one will.

I once had a fairly nice bike ($1000 back in the mid 90s) I left in many bad areas of town locked up with a U lock. But I also wrapped electrical tape around the entire bike frame. It didn't look nearly so nice then. A bad paint job may have the same effect. A missing saddle or tire is also helpful. Quick release saddles are easily taken with you. Who wants to steal a bike if you have to stand the whole time?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:02 pm

EmergDoc wrote:You must be in a really bad part of town that anyone would consider stealing a $450-500 bike. Must be mostly joyriders, there can't be much of a market for those.
A lot of the thieves in San Francisco are after any ridable bike. They're all worth $20-50 of drugs. Unless the thief is entrepreneurial and selling them himself on craigslist, most are fenced for not that much. http://www.sfbg.com/2007/02/13/chasing- ... en-bicycle Sure there's 'professionals' that steal-by-request and are looking for specific bikes, but the majority are by whatever is easiest.

-----

edit to add: But things have improved a bit since that article was written, SFPD has an officer dedicated to bike theft: https://twitter.com/SFPDBikeTheft I think that got kickstarted by the work of plattyjo working to recover her own bike: https://twitter.com/plattyjo

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:15 pm

roymeo wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:You must be in a really bad part of town that anyone would consider stealing a $450-500 bike. Must be mostly joyriders, there can't be much of a market for those.
A lot of the thieves in San Francisco are after any ridable bike. They're all worth $20-50 of drugs. Unless the thief is entrepreneurial and selling them himself on craigslist, most are fenced for not that much. http://www.sfbg.com/2007/02/13/chasing- ... en-bicycle Sure there's 'professionals' that steal-by-request and are looking for specific bikes, but the majority are by whatever is easiest.

-----

edit to add: But things have improved a bit since that article was written, SFPD has an officer dedicated to bike theft: https://twitter.com/SFPDBikeTheft I think that got kickstarted by the work of plattyjo working to recover her own bike: https://twitter.com/plattyjo
Hardly seems worth the risk does it? But drug users have never been known to be particularly rational.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:58 pm

EmergDoc wrote:Hardly seems worth the risk does it? But drug users have never been known to be particularly rational.
Risk?

When most people don't even have their serial numbers?
And i had to add the comment that NOW in San Francisco there's A cop who seems to care about bike theft.
Still can't do much to shut down the chop shops, but he cares.
(Somewhere in the past 5 years there's been a bit of messaging to the prison industrial complex that having a bike-repair class in prison may be making things worse.)