Xfinity vs ATT

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hexdump

Xfinity vs ATT

Post by Hexdump » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:06 pm

We have ATT now and our discounts just expired. Our plan is the 18gb, and the list price is about $62.00, Max Plus.
We had been getting it for $31.00 but I dont think that I will get those discounts again.
I think that I can talk them down to about $40.00.
Xfinity has a 25GB plan for $61.00 discounted to approx $ 40.00 for one year.

Has anyone made the switch to Xfinity and how are the actual download speeds vs what they advertized ?
If I am able to get ATT (18gb) for $40 vs Xfinity (25gb) for $41.00, should I stay with ATT ?
Is the extra 7gb worth it ? Our speed with Att normally runs at about 16gb, a test I just did from a wireless IPad showed 16.47
I had also read ( I think ) that Xfinity has docsis 3 modems/routers. Will that make a difference in the speed ?

The biggest thorn is the blasted email abcdef@att.net.
I dont have any other services other that cell phones.

rustymutt

Re: Xfinity vs ATT

Post by rustymutt » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Remember that this other new company may not have facilities in place for the speed they suggest. Buried is better than aerial, and fiber subpurb to copper. :sharebeer

Am with AT&T at 18meg, and consistently get better speed of 20meg. So I'm yes, happy with T. For my needs, much fast enough.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Hello, regardless if you decide to switch or not, please consider changing your email now to gmail or yahoo so you can wean your contacts from the ISP-specific address.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:03 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Hexdump wrote:Is the extra 7gb worth it ?
Worth is always subjective. Is speed currently an issue for you? Instead of relying on speed tests look at your usage and experience. Added speed means nothing if you don't perceive a difference.

I'm in Houston as well and we get better than 25 with Comcast/Xfinity Performance Internet, FWIW. However, Houston is a massive sprawl and your specific neighborhood may make a difference.
Hexdump wrote:The biggest thorn is the blasted email abcdef@att.net.
I'm amazed you're still using email tied to an ISP. Switch and be done with it.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:27 pm

When I was in Chicago, we had AT&T Uverse for several years and Comcast Xfinity the others. We would switch back and forth for the specials always giving the incumbent the chance to keep our business by matching. Both services were great. I cannot really say one is better or worse than the other.

Now we are with Cox in an area with NO competition and the internet service is miserable at about TWICE the price.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 am

takeshi wrote:
Hexdump wrote:The biggest thorn is the blasted email abcdef@att.net.
I'm amazed you're still using email tied to an ISP. Switch and be done with it.
We have switched to a .com email however there are a few sites that use the .att email as a signon id.
The worst example is the Apple store for IPad and IPhone purchases. I have stopped using it but I still have items that I have purchased under the .ATT id and I don't think that it is possible to merge it into the .com account.
Hmmm, I have not tried to change the email associated with those accounts to the .com but still keep the .att login credentials. I will try that.

Also, the speeds that we are now getting from ATT are adequate. I am complaining about the cost increase. I probably can get faster for less $$$.
So if ATT refuses to give me a discount I will probably make the move.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am

Hexdump wrote:Has anyone made the switch to Xfinity and how are the actual download speeds vs what they advertized ?
I have Xfinity 'Blast', which is advertised at 50 mbps...... I always get between 54-59 Mbps. My biggest complaint is their Monopoly.

Carson

Post by Carson » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:08 am

We are in Chicago too. Our choice is ATT regular DSL or Xfinity. I work from home and screen-sharing calls are becoming the norm. Meanwhile DH SAH and would like to enjoy his free time by watching videos. So we were having a lot of bandwidth fights.

We switched to Xfinity blast 50mb service. My thoughts... We had a hard time getting our own gateway setup and off of their rental hardware. It seems to be a common problem as they want you to rent their HW. Also, the speed you receive might be lower than advertised due to the DEVICE you are using. I just got a new laptop and haven't done the speed test yet, but we found it interesting that sitting in the same spot in the house, DH got much faster and reliable signal on his new macbook than I did on my old dell.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 am

As far as I know you can keep your AT&T email address. Yahoo actually runs it so there's nothing on AT&T's end other than the domain and some glue to use it as your login. I had U-verse in 2007 and cancelled it after 2 years. I still have my @att.net email and don't pay for it. Test it out by logging into your email from yahoo.com using your full email address as the username.

Call AT&T and verify it with them!