Cost of Routine Dental Cleanings

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DTalos

Cost of Routine Dental Cleanings

Post by DTalos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:42 pm

I would like to know what those of you without dental insurance who pay cash for routine dental exams/cleanings are paying? I pay about $130 for a cleaning and exam and about $190 every other time when bitewing x rays are taken. The prices mentioned are for an independent (non-chain) dentist in a class B office building in metro Phoenix. I know costs vary throughout the United States, but just curious what you all are paying.

southbay

Re: Cost of Routine Dental Cleanings

Post by southbay » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:16 am

I pay very similar in Southern CA

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:13 am

$104 this last May. The dentist has his own very nice office on a main street in this midwest town.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:49 am

Has anyone ever been able to obtain a cleaning without the "oral cancer screening" and x-rays done by the dentist? As far as I can tell, we're forced to pay for both the cleaning and exam each time.
I've had relatively frequent experiences with dentists trying to initiate unnecessary procedures, and so I would really love to find a way to have cleanings done without a DMD exam/imaging. Mexico for the cleaning? I certainly wouldn't get x-rays or work done there.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 am

I have dental cleanings 3x/year. I only have xrays annually or less often, as needed. I am not aware of "oral cancer screening" and have never been told I have had one performed. Perhaps if you have had a history of tobacco use or some risk factor? I don't believe I have any cancer risk that I or my docs are aware of (other than simply being alive).

My dentist does look into my mouth at least annually when I have my annual check up in connection with a cleaning. I have no idea if they are doing any cancer risk assessment and she's never mentioned it or charged separately for it. For my other regular cleanings, it's only me and the hygienist, with no dentist or anyone else looking in my mouth.

My regular medical insurance covers a portion of my cleanings and dental visits, so I'm not sure what my charges would be if I had no coverage. The dental office bills the cleanings and periodontal deep cleaning or similar, I believe.
Last edited by HIinvestor on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:57 am

HIinvestor wrote:I have dental cleanings 3x/year.... I am not aware of "oral cancer screening" and have never been told I have had one performed. Perhaps if you have had a history of tobacco use or some risk factor? I don't believe I have any risk cancer.

You may not know what it is (it's someone with a DMD, not your hygienist, looking inside your mouth for something unusual), and may not feel that you need it (I agree 100%) but I bet you're paying for it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:21 am

My dentist does my x-rays ever 18 months (I have no fillings, cavities, etc.).
I have my teeth cleaned twice per year with an exam. Cost is $162 in a HCOL/VHCOL area.
He does not represent any of his service as an oral cancer screening.

spectec

Post by spectec » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 am

I paid $203 for cleaning and digital xrays last week (location Charlotte, NC) on my semi-annual visit. The regular cleaning without x-rays is about $120. After the hygienist finishes the cleaning & preliminary exam, the dentist comes in to review any items already discussed, then he does his own exam & pokes arouind for anything that was missed.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

joebh

Post by joebh » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:20 am

texaspapas wrote:Has anyone ever been able to obtain a cleaning without the "oral cancer screening" and x-rays done by the dentist?

Yes.

Simply state up front - "I want a cleaning, and nothing else. No x-rays, no cancer screening, no other billable procedure." If they refuse (and some will) find another dentist.

If you are looking for a dentist, call and state what you are looking for. Ask them if that will be a problem.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:27 am

If you live near a college or trade school with a dental assistant program you could check with them - you may be able to get cleanings for free or very cheaply if willing to be worked on by a supervised student.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:35 am

$100 at a dentist in his own office in an upscale neighborhood. $135 at a perio. $165 for a full x ray set.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:37 am

joebh wrote:Simply state up front - "I want a cleaning, and nothing else. No x-rays, no cancer screening, no other billable procedure." If they refuse (and some will) find another dentist.

I have declined the routine bitewing xrays, nothing has even been detected with them for me or my family over the past 40 years or so. I did have some xray when a bridge was fit, that made sense to determine if root canal work was needed or not. No problem with the dentist or hygienist.

The cost varies, cleaning done every six months without an exam by the dentist. Every year she does a looksee, does the oral cancer check. Cost is $95/$125 for the exams.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:39 am

My hygienist actually feels around my jaw, under my tongue, in the soft tissue areas with her fingers for around 30 seconds.

When the dentist comes in at the end she reports "oral cancer screening was negative."

Couldn't this possibly detect something and save a life one day?

Mike

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:43 am

I do not have dental insurance (my health insurance is provided by VA) and last year paid about $250 for 2 appointments for cleanings, x-rays, and exams by our Dentist office that we have used for about 45 years... My Wife is covered by her Medicare Advantage plan and we paid $36 in co-pays for her cleanings, x-rays, and exams....

I am considering signing up for the VA Dental Insurance Program that would cost me about $157 per year....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:51 am

$75 for cleaning----once every 6 months----in Green Valley, AZ (south of Tucson), which includes a brief exam. $160 if bit wing x-rays are included.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:52 am

kjvmike wrote:My hygienist actually feels around my jaw, under my tongue, in the soft tissue areas with her fingers for around 30 seconds.

When the dentist comes in at the end she reports "oral cancer screening was negative."

Mike

You had better believe it!
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

Dan-Fl

Post by Dan-Fl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:54 am

Near Tampa Florida coast for me is $168 for cleaning, bite wing xrays, and cancer screeening.
I do this exam about yearly. I have cleaning done each 4 months.
Dan

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:31 am

> Has anyone ever been able to obtain a cleaning without the "oral cancer screening" and x-rays done

I believe that X-rays as frequent as that are potentially hazardous and contrary to the accepted standard of care.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:33 am

As the ad says get it from the horse's mouth

http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Member%2 ... _2012.ashx

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:34 am

At my Dentist's cleaning appointment, the x-rays and screenings are only done by the Dentist every other visit....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 am

$66 for cleaning and oral exam. Additional $29 for bitewing xrays when needed. Baltimore-Annapolis corridor.

We use a discount plan from dentalplans dot com. No insurance.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

anonforthis

Post by anonforthis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:45 am

For as long as I remember, I never paid anything for cost of routine dental cleanings every 6 months. When I moved out of California, I have to pay about $150 to the new dentist every year for routine cleanings. We have the same insurance. I don't get it.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am

anonforthis wrote:For as long as I remember, I never paid anything for cost of routine dental cleanings every 6 months. When I moved out of California, I have to pay about $150 to the new dentist every year for routine cleanings. We have the same insurance. I don't get it.

Your plan must have changes. Have you looked at the plan documents before and after?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

anonforthis

Post by anonforthis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:58 am

jebmke wrote:
anonforthis wrote:For as long as I remember, I never paid anything for cost of routine dental cleanings every 6 months. When I moved out of California, I have to pay about $150 to the new dentist every year for routine cleanings. We have the same insurance. I don't get it.

Your plan must have changes. Have you looked at the plan documents before and after?

No, nothing changes. I believe Asian dentists charge less than American dentists. I came back to the old dentist in California last year for a cleaning and he didn't charge me anything either.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:03 am

In MI with DentalPlans.com it's $67 for cleaning and exam, $106 if you include bitewings. The dentist wasn't there my last cleaning, just the technician so there was no exam. It was $49.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

EvelynM

Post by EvelynM » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:06 am

Northern California - no dental insurance - paid with my HSA account:

Cleaning: $98
Xrays: 119
"Periodic Oral Exam": $58

total: $275

My dentist offers a 5% discount if paid with cash.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am

I have insurance now for about ten years I didn't. I got my teeth cleaned annually and when they got ready to x-rays, I told them I didn't want them. I relented about once every three years or so. I never felt frequent x-rays were really necessary but then, I was young and healthy at the time and still had good teeth. It saved me quite a bit of money skipping the x-rays.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:37 am

150. no xrays. i also decline the flouride rinse because i don't believe it is worth the $6 which is not covered by insurance. consider doing it at home if you believe in the benefits of flouride rather than 2x a year at the dentist.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:48 am

miles monroe wrote:150. no xrays. i also decline the flouride rinse because i don't believe it is worth the $6 which is not covered by insurance. consider doing it at home if you believe in the benefits of flouride rather than 2x a year at the dentist.

Check your toothpaste. It probably has fluoride in it anyway.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:33 am

cheese_breath wrote:
miles monroe wrote:150. no xrays. i also decline the flouride rinse because i don't believe it is worth the $6 which is not covered by insurance. consider doing it at home if you believe in the benefits of flouride rather than 2x a year at the dentist.

Check your toothpaste. It probably has fluoride in it anyway.

If you are on a municipal water system chances are that it is being put in to the water by the water company.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:46 am

I just paid $130 for a cleaning. In six months' time they want me to do x-rays as well - I usually try to worm out of doing x-rays quite as often as they say, although I do do them fairly regularly. I don't remember exactly what it is with x-rays. $190 or $200 seems about what I paid last time I did x-rays.
Sarah

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:11 am

We, our entire family, get ours done at the local dental school: $10 for cleaning and x-rays. They are done by 3rd and 4th year students, but overseen by the staff. I have a long-standing professional relationship with the school and particularly the dean, no worries whatsoever that we aren't getting the same quality of exam that most are paying $100+ for.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 am

kjvmike wrote:My hygienist actually feels around my jaw, under my tongue, in the soft tissue areas with her fingers for around 30 seconds.

Mike

NO!

Blame the crazy systems created by dentists, insurance companies, governments, etc. for this type of line item charges, and made worse by technology. IMO, the type of oral cancer screening you're describing is standard of care (or should be).
the traditional visual/tactile oral cancer screening that I've incorporated in my routine since hygiene school

http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/vo ... pdate.html

Did answer questions about Tobacco/Alcohol Use, HPV, Age, Sun Exposure, and Diet in the intake form? Was some more involved technology used for screening? Were you charged separately for that?

There are certain aspects of a general exam that are required, and making them optional would only be feeding the upsell monster.

Would you like an MRI with that?

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am

DTalos wrote:I would like to know what those of you without dental insurance who pay cash for routine dental exams/cleanings are paying? I pay about $130 for a cleaning and exam and about $190 every other time when bitewing x rays are taken. The prices mentioned are for an independent (non-chain) dentist in a class B office building in metro Phoenix. I know costs vary throughout the United States, but just curious what you all are paying.

I know cleaning is the same cost as yours but there is a discount if you pay that day. I like in the Portland, OR metro area
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

southbay

Post by southbay » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:42 pm

keep in mind not all Dentists are equal. I'm sure I could go find a cheaper dentist...but my Dentist is awesome and I happily pay her fee. Dentists have a ton of overhead to keep an office open. If you want a budget price, you may just get what you pay for.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:09 am

joebh wrote:
texaspapas wrote:Has anyone ever been able to obtain a cleaning without the "oral cancer screening" and x-rays done by the dentist?

Yes.

Simply state up front - "I want a cleaning, and nothing else. No x-rays, no cancer screening, no other billable procedure." If they refuse (and some will) find another dentist.

If you are looking for a dentist, call and state what you are looking for. Ask them if that will be a problem.

Good luck with that. Sadly, there is always some old-timer who will take your money for the cleaning and tell you what you want to hear. Many people who are long-standing patients in a practice with a low risk of decay can convince their dentist to skip xrays sometimes, but eventually they are no longer willing to accept the liability. Dental xrays allow detection of problems before they cause pain/symptoms. Many here would be amazed at how often patients get mad when they "suddenly" need extensive root canals, crowns, etc on a problem that could have been detected earlier and fixed cheaper and less invasive with a simple filling. Dentists are not auto mechanics that can simply wash your car without looking under the hood for problems. This is below the standard of care. If you have undiagnosed problems and only want a "cleaning" then you are painting the kitchen while the house is on fire. Thus the liability. Please don't think they are helping you or doing you a favor by not doing a comprehensive exam (which includes periodic xrays). Tooth problems do not hurt until it's too late to do something simple and cheap. If you don't trust your dentist then find another one since they are on every corner.

For the oral cancer exam, the dentist should look in your mouth for any abnormalities of the soft tissue. They should also palpate the neck for any abnormal lumps. This is part of the exam and you should not pay extra. Don't pay for those special oral cancer detection devices which have not been shown to reveal any abnormalities which can not already be seen by the naked eye.

Disclaimer: I am both a dentist and physician who treats oral cancer several days per week.

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:49 am

Many people who are long-standing patients in a practice with a low risk of decay can convince their dentist to skip xrays sometimes, but eventually they are no longer willing to accept the liability.

I pay $95 for cleaning by my perio three times a year and have xrays done perhaps every three years or so.
I am 60 and have never had the first cavity or issue other than gum disease so I can usually talk them into delaying xrays if I need to. But sooner or later I run into a wall and have to submit to it.
They do full cancer screening every time and I've never seen anything added to the bill because of it- the cost of the cleaning includes the full oral exam.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm

A few notes on oral cancer, one that ties to the stock market: In early 2009, the pathologist to whom dentists all over our state send their suspicious tissue samples was overwhelmed at the number of submissions. Was there an educational push going on by the state professional organization? Had there been an article in a magazine?

Um, no. What they finally figured out was that the sores inside so many people's mouths were due to people being anxious over losing a job or their stock investments, and they were chewing the inside of their mouth as a nervous habit and causing localized non-cancerous infections.

One of the challenges is that the fastest-growing population of new patients is folks under age 40, whose disease is related to certain strains of HPV. This is tricky because a lot of health care providers assume that only older folks are at risk and many people do not know their HPV status. Fortunately, in 2012 the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that both young men as well as women get the HPV vaccine, which means that it will be covered by health insurance. This is typically given at middle-school age, it requires a series, and some kids complain it is more painful than other shots. But hopefully that trend will go down as the population becomes immunized.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:13 pm

The cash rate in my area for cleanings is $110-$150 for the majority of dentists. Many of the solo practice dentists (mine included) share a pool of hygienists that rotate around that I think basically get paid per appointment, but usually have the same patients each time.

My dentist demands x-rays at the maximum frequency the insurance company will pay for. It doesn't cost me anything and is probably to my benefit so I get them.

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Girlfriend had one today. Rural Tennessee paid $70 for cleaning, no xrays.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:49 pm

I am not sure why anyone would turn down the cancer screening. They are painless and mostly are just visual with some touching.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:10 pm

My MA plan fully covers twice a year cleaning and exam.
All the Best, | Joe

chabil

Post by chabil » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:39 pm

joebh wrote:

Yes.

that is what i do. i used to get a cleaning and exam twice a year when insurance covered. now i pay out of pocket and get one cleaning in 9 months. i am more rigorous with my daily dental hygiene with flossing and brushing. they hygienist tells me my teeth are in great shape, i have no problems and i do not see the dentist. $120.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Sconie wrote:$75 for cleaning----once every 6 months----in Green Valley, AZ (south of Tucson), which includes a brief exam. $160 if bit wing x-rays are included.

My dentist in Green valley charges $92 for the cleaning and exam once every six months.. His new patient appointment was $255 BUT was also the most thorough dental exam that I have ever seen. He took a full mouth X-ray including every tooth and every root.

Personally, I want that type of treatment. I would rather see small issues addresses when they can be repaired for $125 as opposed to waiting until a root canal is indicated and incurring that expense or requiring an extraction.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Grew up drinking deep well water in the 1950s in a small town in the midwest. Some in my grade school had the brown bars from too much fluoride. Recently when the local economy in Arizona imploded, my former dentist said that I needed exams three times a year, each one included bitewing xrays. Note the coincidence. On my last visit there, the hygienist quickly flossed only between my teeth then left. I haven't been back.
You need a good dentist, not all of them are.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:27 am

I pay $130.

I think routine dental cleanings are probably cheaper (and more painless) than expensive procedures down the line.
Last edited by Caduceus on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 pm

inbox788 wrote:

Mike

NO!

Blame the crazy systems created by dentists, insurance companies, governments, etc. for this type of line item charges, and made worse by technology. IMO, the type of oral cancer screening you're describing is standard of care (or should be).
the traditional visual/tactile oral cancer screening that I've incorporated in my routine since hygiene school

http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/vo ... pdate.html

Did answer questions about Tobacco/Alcohol Use, HPV, Age, Sun Exposure, and Diet in the intake form? Was some more involved technology used for screening? Were you charged separately for that?

There are certain aspects of a general exam that are required, and making them optional would only be feeding the upsell monster.

Would you like an MRI with that?

It has always been standard at my dentist for the last 8 or so years. I've never paid him a cent for anything, but I do have good insurance. If I had to pay extra for it, I suppose I still would. I doubt he would charge anything extra, though. He has worked really well with uninsured friends I've sent his way - given huge discounts on crowns and other procedures. He told a friend of mine, in college, "I'm just glad you're taking good care of your teeth at your age, no charge for this crown." She was working at Walmart at the time and enrolled in her masters degree. This is why if I miss my cleaning it can take a month or more to reschedule, very busy and very good office.

Mike

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 pm

My cleanings are $90. Two cleanings a year are mostly covered by my dental insurance. I pay for a third cleaning per year out of pocket. Just turned 60 and I feel that 3 cleanings a year may be overkill but I prefer to be safe. I like my teeth and want them all to last about 15 minutes longer than I do. Sad to say in my area a significant number of local dentists are basically thieves. I worked my way thru 4 dentists after moving to Texas before I found some one both competent and honest.

YoungDentist

Post by YoungDentist » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:28 am

As a dentist I feel compelled to reply to some of these comments:
Radiographs at my office are taken once a year (bite wings) and oral cancer screeninings are done at every checkup.
Do you change the oil and tires on your car? If you care about it, you do. The difference is this the gateway to the rest of your body and there is a very large correlation to gum disease (periodontal disease) and a number of other health related diseases (cardiovascular being the main one).
The radiographs are done not only to check for cavities, but also to consistently monitor the health of the bone surrounding your teeth - which is like the foundation to your house.

Lastly, oral cancer is not something you want your dentist to miss. After completing my residency in a level one trauma center and witnessing multiple jaws be totally dissected and rebuilt from bone taken from your own tibia - I would venture to say it's worth having the screening done at least yearly. You should worry if your dentist is NOT doing these screenings.

Also, digital radiographs have very very limited amounts of radiation in any up to date dental office. If you have every spent a day playing golf or on the beach, you have probably gotten more than from the dental chair. Of course, not every dental office is up to date.

$100-175 is a very reasonable price to pay for routine checkups, your new patient or initial exam will probably be more at any office.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 am

I pay cash...$75 twice a year for cleaning and exam.
A filling cost $145.
How bad is it to skip the XRay? I'll check the price and maybe skip it?
Thanks for starting this discussion!
Last edited by hudson on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.