Desktop wifi connection + keyboard

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
communipaw

Desktop wifi connection + keyboard

Post by communipaw » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm

I'm purchasing a new desk top and would like to pose two questions.

My current desktop is connected to my router by a cable. The new desktop will have N wifi and will be about 30 inches from the router. I was told that connecting the desktop to the router via wifi would provide as good/fast connection as a cable. Is this correct? I'd rather have one less cable in my rat's nest, unless the performance will be degraded.

Keyboard: in the 90s [?] keyboards had a firm touch and a sharp click. Can anyone recommend such a keyboard today, best if it has some sort of illumination. Thank you

DSInvestor

Re: Desktop wifi connection + keyboard

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Wireless is fine unless you're doing large transfers between devices on your network. In this case, it would be better to use ethernet connection to your router. If you're in an area with lots of wireless access points, there may be lots of interference which may degrade your wifi performance.

It's easy to see if there is any performance difference between ethernet and wifi. Connect using ethernet only, and run a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net. Unplug ethernet and connect using WiFi. Run speed tests again and see if the speeds are different. If your router supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz, run separate speed tests for 2.4GHz vs 5Ghz. 5GHz may have less interference if it is less crowded.

If ethernet gives you 30Mbps and wireless gives you 5Mbps, maybe stick with ethernet. If wireless gives you 25Mbps vs 30Mbps for ethernet, wireless is probably good enough.

Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Depending on your internet speed and what you use your computer for, wireless might be fine. But wireless is not cable. It's one cable. Seems like it might be easier to clean up the "rat's nest."

Alskar

Post by Alskar » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:33 pm

communipaw wrote:Keyboard: in the 90s [?] keyboards had a firm touch and a sharp click. Can anyone recommend such a keyboard today, best if it has some sort of illumination. Thank you

Since I spend about 6+ hours a day on my keyboard, its touch is extremely important to me. I love my SIIG "Premium USB Keyboard with Hub" model number JK-US0412-S1. Worth every penny. It's wired instead of wireless...just the way I like it!

EDIT: I use a USB LED light plugged into the built-in USB hub for illumination.

Also, my desktop machine is wired directly to my firewall router with 1G Ethernet. Beats wireless all day, everyday.
Last edited by Alskar on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagom är bäst

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:34 pm

For real keyboards the way IBM meant for them to be, I recommend Unicomp.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

I have one of the full sized models and love it. The space saver wasn't available when I bought mine, or I probably would have chosen that instead.

And no, a wifi connection will never be as fast as ethernet, but it may be fast enough for what you need. Easy enough to try and see.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00496 ... 1A3J1X4NJA

TS,

I like this dell keyboard (SK-8115) and they are widely available used in the thrift store, garage sale, and so on...

KlangFool

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:14 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (computer).

Just be sure you have something that can connect to the router via hard-wired ethernet. When you have a problem, a direct connection is the only thing guaranteed to work.

Also, change the router's factory default password - regardless of the computer you're using now.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:32 pm

DSInvestor wrote:It's easy to see if there is any performance difference between ethernet and wifi. Connect using ethernet only, and run a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net. Unplug ethernet and connect using WiFi. Run speed tests again and see if the speeds are different.

Wireless is more likely to have intermittent and time dependent problems. Like 5 neighbouring kids coming home and downloading the internet, or a neighbour firing up his milking machine. Depending on what your doing and when you may not care, but then again you may. And in any case this type of thing can be very hard to measure.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:37 pm

If you have the option of wireless or cable connection with the desktop,I would go cable.
My desktop used to be connected via cable when it was in another room.I moved it to another room and am now wireless the connection is still excellent,download speed may be a few megabytes slower though. :happy
Check out the Logitech Wireless Keyboard in link below :happy
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... 2879431_11
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

communipaw

Post by communipaw » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:03 pm

thanks for the responses
as long as it doesn't involve too much configuration, I'll experiment with the WiFi connection and if it isn't good enough to transfer 700 mb -1000mb files to my external hard drive, I'll switch to the cable connection from router to computer.