Saving on Golf

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kingk13

Saving on Golf

Post by Kingk13 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to save money on green fees? I currently use golf now but am wondering if their is anything better.

Located in Michigan.

DFWinvestor

Re: Saving on Golf

Post by DFWinvestor » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm

What I would suggest is the following:

1) Put your golf clubs away in the closet and forget they are there; or alternatively throw them in a lake or other body of water, or take them to a pawn shop.

2) Find a new hobby.

This worked wonders for me. I can't say that I miss it.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:19 pm

I have taken up the sport over the last year or so. I find it relaxing and very enjoyable with friends and business. We typically tee off at 11:00 or even 1:00/2:00 and the fee is much lower.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:21 pm

GolfNow isn't as good as it used to be. Unless you are buying one of the "hot deals", forget it, the rates offered directly by the course are usually equal or better.

How often do you play? Perhaps a season pass to a course would work in your favor if you play a lot.

Otherwise, weekday afternoons/evenings are usually cheapest.

Walk the course. Not only will it usually save you money, it's better for your health and is the way the game was meant to be played. Carts are for the handicapped or lazy people.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Get to know your local HS golf coach and volunteer.

I'm friends with the golf coach and teacher from the local HS where I work. When I go with him we get waved onto the local courses because he is buddies with all the course managers. He tells me that anywhere he goes in Texas if he wants to golf he calls up the local coach in that area and they go for free.

kenner

Post by kenner » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Many golf courses have lower greens fees after 3:00 PM or so. Golf is a great game and can offer fond, memorable lifetime experiences. Arnold Palmer still loves the game at age 85. I still remember with glee golf shots I made 40 years ago. And shooting an under par round at Arnie's world-famous Bay Hill golf course in Orlando. If my health was better, I would play 365 days a year (or at least close to that).

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:13 pm

Golf is an excellent game with a lot of memories!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Golf as a sport in the US is in the process of dying. The latest stats show that for the last 8 years more courses have closed than opened by a significant majority. In 2013, 14 new courses opened, and 157 closed. Since 2006, 643 courses have closed.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:38 pm

jabberwock wrote:Golf as a sport in the US is in the process of dying. The latest stats show that for the last 8 years more courses have closed than opened by a significant majority. In 2013, 14 new courses opened, and 157 closed. Since 2006, 643 courses have closed.
It isn't dying so much as returning to where it was before the unsustainable housing boom where develops put in way too many courses to sell inflated housing. Unfortunately contractions tend to be pretty painful.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:38 pm

jabberwock wrote:Golf as a sport in the US is in the process of dying. The latest stats show that for the last 8 years more courses have closed than opened by a significant majority. In 2013, 14 new courses opened, and 157 closed. Since 2006, 643 courses have closed.
There have also been many articles that note too many golf courses had opened.

kenner

Post by kenner » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:02 am

abuss368 wrote:
There have also been many articles that note too many golf courses had opened.
There is the possibility that, like Tiger Woods, Rory McElroy and Jordan Spieth (phenom at age 23) can revive the golf world.

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:45 am

get a job at a golf course and you typically get free golf there, even part time

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:57 am

I have played golf for 50 years and still enjoy it. I try to avoid paying high green fees but do enjoy playing nice courses. Once you get familiar with the courses in your area, you will probably find some courses that are well maintained and have good layouts that offer good value. In the summer, most courses offer twilight fees starting between 2 and 3 pm which are much cheaper than morning tee times. I also walk when I can which can save more although my motivation for walking is it is more enjoyable and healthy. Around here (NC), there are websites that provide specials at courses which can vary from ok to very good. I assume the same is in Michigan.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:10 am

I use to use Golf Now in Texas - still decent prices but agree - higher than they were about 2 years ago. I too have found better deals by directly contacting the courses. I have found that if I golf more than once or twice a month at the same course, they seem to remember me and I get about the same rate as I got with Golf Now 2 years ago. Hope that helps...

Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:31 am

I've used Group Golfer (http://www.groupgolfer.com) in Michigan several times and saved quite a bit. Every few days, they offer a "deal" for a course in the area you specify. If enough people go for the deal then it is "on". It is usually 50-70% off with a bucket of range balls and sometimes a "golfers lunch" (hot dog, chips and soda) is also included. Highly recommend it.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:39 am

You received a lot of good tips already. But to throw in my 2 cents.

If you have time working at a course, even part time, often gets free Golf.

If you can play twilight times, rates are much cheaper. Where I play twilight rates start at 3pm in the summer and 1pm in spring and fall. It's actually better playing then, less crowded.

Look for deals on the courses website.

Where I play the course offers a great Holiday deal. Buy early and save.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:45 am

You can try http://www.golf18network.com/ similar to Golf Now. Also, I have bought coupon books some seasons, some deals better than others but I have always saved significantly more than the book cost and you might place some courses you wouldn't normally think of.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:04 am

You can play 250 nice golf courses in Phoenix during the summer at very reasonable rates. Bring lots of sun lotion.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:35 am

Browser wrote:You can play 250 nice golf courses in Phoenix during the summer at very reasonable rates. Bring lots of sun lotion.
This is also true in Palm Desert and the surrounding area! I've played many great courses for under $20/round the past month or so, which included a cart and sometimes included the range fee too!
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Here's what I would do:

Get an annual range pass somewhere. I hear some ranges offer all-you-can hit for a year for something like a few hundred or a thousand depending on where you live. Not an option for my area, except $100 gets you annual privileges at the indoor practice area in the local PGA Tour SuperStore with launch monitors, video recording, etc.

OR

Find a course with a player development program. Even in Bay area, there are a few courses that offer $50-70/mo. in exchange for unlimited range balls after twilight and cheap to free greens fees an hour after twilight.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm 55 and have played for over 45 years and love the game, and particularly my friendships.

I'm curious about OPs mid and longer term golf objectives and current and desired skill, level as that could impact my suggestions.

Once I have that info I'll chime in.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:Walk the course. Not only will it usually save you money, it's better for your health and is the way the game was meant to be played. Carts are for the handicapped or lazy people.
I'd love to walk the course, but I can't carry my bag and my radio without spilling my bourbon. Appearances aren't everything and I do have my standards.

JT