Journal of my recent ride in Northern Italy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Raybo

Journal of my recent ride in Northern Italy

Post by Raybo »

In April, 2015, I rode a wide 21-day oval starting and ending at Milan's Malpensa Airport. I rode east along the bottoms of the big, and not so big, Northern Italian lakes all the way to Bassano del Grappa, where I turned north and west, slowly making my way back among the mountains, valleys, and lakes.

This is some beautiful country full of gracious and hospitable people with a fabulous cuisine and long history. It was one of my favorite tours of all time!

I've just completed a detailed, day-to-day journal of the trip with hundreds of photos.

Since April was close to the recent low point of the Euro, the prices I encountered were very reasonable, except in Switzerland, where restaurant prices are outrageous, though other costs are more manageable.

As usual, I'd be interested in any and all comments.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Colorado13

Re: Journal of my recent ride in Northern Italy

Post by Colorado13 »

You are living the dream... chocolate chip cookies, biking, Italy, snow covered peaks, and no one honking at you. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

I did a similar trip 18-25 June. Biked (a group of 10) from Bolzano to Venice via Lake La Garda. We did it through Girolibero. For details, see
http://www.girolibero.com/en/catalog/bo ... ugh-verona
Erwin
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

mpt follower wrote:I did a similar trip 18-25 June. Biked (a group of 10) from Bolzano to Venice via Lake La Garda. We did it through Girolibero. For details, see
I checked out that tour. I met a group of 4 couples riding electric-assist bikes doing a ride from Bolzano to Venice, likely on your same route.

I rode down the Adige River from Trento to Mori (in the rain) and I likely rode some of the route from Verona to Vicenza.

I hope you enjoyed it!
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Raybo wrote:
mpt follower wrote:I did a similar trip 18-25 June. Biked (a group of 10) from Bolzano to Venice via Lake La Garda. We did it through Girolibero. For details, see
I checked out that tour. I met a group of 4 couples riding electric-assist bikes doing a ride from Bolzano to Venice, likely on your same route.

I rode down the Adige River from Trento to Mori (in the rain) and I likely rode some of the route from Verona to Vicenza.

I hope you enjoyed it!
Much fun. Not only the biking, but the wine and food were impressive. Italians do know how to live!
Erwin
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Read some entries and looked at many of the photos. Lovely countryside!
Liked reading your overall long list regarding Italy, too.

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting! BT
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Nice Trip.
Nice Blog.
I read EVERY word and looked at EVERY picture.
Thanks for the report. I really enjoyed it.
Jim
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

jimcrawford01 wrote:Nice Trip.
Nice Blog.
I read EVERY word and looked at EVERY picture.
Thanks for the report. I really enjoyed it.
Jim
Jim,

I am aware that this trip journal is more detailed and has more photos than usual. It is a hard balancing act to provide enough detail so other bike tourists can get useful information from it but still keep it interesting to the general reader. I may have missed the "sweet spot" on this one. But, thanks for sticking with it and reading it all.

As I've mentioned before, the journal takes longer to write than the tour takes to complete! In many ways, the journal is the last part of the tour. It isn't until I get home that I get to see all the photos and remember what I did and saw. This tour was so good that it was hard not to include some extra photos in each day's page.
DesertOasis

Post by DesertOasis »

I'm reading every word and looking at every picture too. I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Raybo,
I love your journal and the pictures are great - thanks for posting it!
I am currently reading "your money or your life" (which has good and bad parts, but it is interesting how they equate money with "time of your life" that you have to give away to earn it, it puts earning and spending money (for me) in a new perspective).

Looking at your trip makes me realize, how much I am missing while I have my crazy work weeks. I love what I do at work, but would love financial independence that I could do trips like this while I am still in good shape....
Topic Author
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

michaelsieg wrote:Looking at your trip makes me realize, how much I am missing while I have my crazy work weeks. I love what I do at work, but would love financial independence that I could do trips like this while I am still in good shape....
For what it is worth, when you run out of money, you are still alive; when you run out of time, you aren't.

I've stayed "in shape" my whole life and got serious about bicycle riding about 2000 (when I retired). I'm 63 now and lucky enough to still be "in shape" enough to do these rides, though, I train seriously before I leave for, at least, a month.

Consider this: If you take a month off and do a month-long bike ride and then retire a month later, have you really delayed your retirement?
LSWarrior49

Post by LSWarrior49 »

Thank you Raybo. I read all your journal entries and enjoyed "rolling" through all the photos. It was a most welcome distraction from work today!! :D
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Erwin wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:35 pm I did a similar trip 18-25 June. Biked (a group of 10) from Bolzano to Venice via Lake La Garda. We did it through Girolibero. For details, see
Is Girolibero good to use for someone that has no long distance biking experience?
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?