New tires - where to buy, how to get a good deal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
walletless

New tires - where to buy, how to get a good deal?

Post by walletless » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 pm

I am due for new tires in ~1000-1500 miles. Are there any advantages of going with Costco vs Discount Tire/America's Tire vs Tire Rack? They all give free lifetime rotations, balancing, etc (at least the first two do), and they all match prices.

Also, are there suggestions for finding good deals on tires? This is for a Nissan Altima Sedan, and I don't need winterized tires or anything super special since I live in Bay Area. For my occasional trips to Tahoe or other wintery destinations I generally rent a car.

Khanmots

Re: New tires - where to buy, how to get a good deal?

Post by Khanmots » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Use tirerack for research and to establish a baseline price.

Then check out some of the places you mentioned. Personally I'll order from tirerack unless somewhere local gave me good service in the past and is cheaper simply because I really appreciate the quality research resource that tirerack provides. That said, my last tires came from discount tire... previous 3 sets were from tirerack though.

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Before I recently bought some tires I researched quite a bit and ended up (mostly just by chance) at Costco. They seems to rotate between coupons for Bridgestone and Michelin. With the coupon (I believe $70 off four tires) it was a great deal for what I got (Bridgestone - Potenza RE970s).

I love TireRack's research. However, every time I looked to buy the local installer prices for install, balance, disposal, etc ruined what looked like a good deal. Am I missing something?

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:13 pm

ChrisB wrote:Before I recently bought some tires I researched quite a bit and ended up (mostly just by chance) at Costco. They seems to rotate between coupons for Bridgestone and Michelin. With the coupon (I believe $70 off four tires) it was a great deal for what I got (Bridgestone - Potenza RE970s).

I love TireRack's research. However, every time I looked to buy the local installer prices for install, balance, disposal, etc ruined what looked like a good deal. Am I missing something?
I agree that Costco has the best deal on premium tires. I had gotten the Michelin Primacy and love them. Their price was as good as my friend had gotten on the same tires at the military PX. Costco also rotates them for free every 6k miles, repairs any flats for free and gives you the road hazard insurance free of charge. All around, a great deal.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Never found anyone that can come close to Discount Tire Direct.

During holiday sales, they have stackable rebates.

Memorial Day sale - bought two sets of H727 tires for my Civic and mom's Elantra.
Civic was $107 net (set of four!)
Elantra was $163 net

+ mounting/balancing. I do my own rotations and oil changes.

Free shipping, no tax. Can't be touched.

Marcus469

Post by Marcus469 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Keep an eye out on slickdeals.net as they post tire deals frequently.

I have bought tires from http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do? and http://vulcantires.com/

Always feel like I get a great deal.

Sorry if I am not supposed to post outside links. Just trying to help...

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:31 pm

I like Costco. I've bought about 10 or 11 sets of tires from them, and they've been decent in terms of service and honoring replacement commitments.

They are a bit fussy about which tires you can buy, since they only sell for your vehicle what they have in their system. You can't customize the fit, or move away from OEM type sizes. Its all on the computer and you can check in advance.

Having said that, I like dealing with people who aren't on commission, and where there is a higher authority to complain to if necessary.

frisbee

Post by frisbee » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:49 pm

I just bought a pair of Michelin Premier A/S - very quiet tires. The local chain store (Mr. Tire) matched Costco's price. I also got the $70 off coupon that comes out every couple of months. I didn't have a Costco membership, but many store will price match (and they will try to sell you an alignment in the process).

I also just got a set of General RT43 for my wife's sports car. Very nice tires (highly reviewed on Tire rack) and a lot less expensive than Michelin. More aggressive tread for snow.

rgardne70

Post by rgardne70 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:57 pm

I only buy my tires from Discount Tire. They stand behind their products. And since they stand behind their products I do not worry about what brand they put on my car.

They have stores all over the area where I live (Southern California). They will make appointments. And best of all they are only in the tire business so there is no one trying to sell you something else for your car. I have been a very satisfied customer of Discount Tire for over 20 years.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi Walletless,

I've had good experiences with both Costco and Discount Tire. The service is excellent with both of them. Tires are one thing I wouldn't cheap out on, it's a vital part of having a safe driving experience.
Last edited by denovo on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

walletless

Post by walletless » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:38 pm

surfstar wrote:Never found anyone that can come close to Discount Tire Direct.

Memorial Day sale - bought two sets of H727 tires for my Civic and mom's Elantra.
Elantra was $163 net

Wow! That is a bad-ass deal. Set of 4 for $107!
I don't have the know-how to mount on my own, so even if I got that sweet a deal, I would have to pay additional for the labor/installation & disposal of old tire.
Someone told me that Costco gives a free protection, so if the tire runs into a nail on the road and gets punctured, they replace it for free if it happens before the rated miles. Is that true? Discount tire (known as America's tire here in california) charges an additional fee for that guarantee..

rgardne70

Post by rgardne70 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 pm

One other factor to take into account is how many miles you drive a year.

About 5 years ago, I bought tires that had a 90,000 mile tread wear warranty. But I only drive about 12,000 miles a year. I thought I would never have to buy tires again because those tires would last 7-1/2 years. Boy was I wrong. In warm climates, the tires start getting cracks in them in about 5 years. That is no fault of the dealer and no fault of the manufacturer. That is just a fact of life for tires.

So this past time I bought tires (about 3 months ago), I saved money and bought tires with a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty. That way the tires will start cracking about the same time they wear out.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:21 pm

Pretty hard to beat Costco. They do have good road hazard coverage which is getting hard to come by in my area. Main downside to Costco is that it is getting so popular that it is so busy during the periods that snows go on and come off that it can be hard to get them done.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:33 pm

surfstar wrote:Never found anyone that can come close to Discount Tire Direct.

Elantra was $163 net

+1 For discount tire. Shop/order the tires that you want via their web site and than make an appointment. They are normally pretty quick (if you show up on time) with the installation.

Cosmo

dognose

Post by dognose » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Discount Tire always provides me with a list of tire prices, from cheap to premium. I always pick a tire in the middle of the range and return to sleep for the next 40,000 miles.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Costco.

We bought tires last year at Costco, good Michelins SUV tires (if I remember, around a thousand) with a Road Hazard guarantee. The following week I drove over some wet tar in a car park in the dark. The next morning*, we swung by the nearby Ford dealership and they were very negative saying we needed to replace them... We remembered the Costco guarantee and drove over there. We waited (and ate ice cream) while they repaired the tires and they were like new again.

* Should mention that we were driving to California with a car full of suitcases etc. We were delayed getting out of town, but there was no way we could have driven for 15 hrs to a conference on tires that went "bump bump bump".

All our tires forever more will be from Costco.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:35 am

walletless wrote:Are there any advantages of going with Costco vs Discount Tire/America's Tire vs Tire Rack? They all give free lifetime rotations, balancing, etc (at least the first two do), and they all match prices.
All depends on your priorities but, generally speaking, just shop and compare making sure that you're comparing total cost to total cost.

Tire Rack may not be the cheapest option but for me I'm shopping for specific tires that aren't always available at the locals that tend to have a significantly limited selection and I have a preferred local shop that does the installs. I wouldn't trust my vehicles to any other shop.

If you're just looking for the best deals without such considerations then just carefully compare pricing. If road hazard matters to you it's much easier with a local as you can just drive to a shop for replacement. There's a bit more of a process with Tire Rack.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks for recommending Discount Tire Centers. I bought my new tires at Costco, as always, but I needed an alignment and Costco doesn't do that (and neither does my trusted mechanic). On the strength of your kind words, I went to the Discount Tire Center on Sunset Blvd. here in L.A., and they couldn't have been nicer, quicker (an hour) or more reasonably priced.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Many years ago I think Tire Rack was almost unbeatable in terms of getting the best price. Service was a bit hit or miss depending on the installer you used.

In the past 5-6 years I've found that Discount Tire will be at the same price as Tire Rack, perhaps even a little cheaper. I happen to like the service at my local Discount/America's Tire shop, and have bought a few sets of tires from them now.
Dave

FadGadget

Post by FadGadget » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 am

I just purchased new tires last week. I compared all the usual sites (Tire Rack is the most informative), but I ended up purchasing from Tire Buyer. Good coupons, rebates, shopping portal points, etc. Tire Buyer will ship in 1 to 2 days to your local Firestone.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:37 am

I shop at Costco,discount tire etc but usually end up at Sears. They have great coupons, sales and service.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:47 am

Freddy wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Before I recently bought some tires I researched quite a bit and ended up (mostly just by chance) at Costco. They seems to rotate between coupons for Bridgestone and Michelin. With the coupon (I believe $70 off four tires) it was a great deal for what I got (Bridgestone - Potenza RE970s).

I agree that Costco has the best deal on premium tires. I had gotten the Michelin Primacy and love them. Their price was as good as my friend had gotten on the same tires at the military PX. Costco also rotates them for free every 6k miles, repairs any flats for free and gives you the road hazard insurance free of charge. All around, a great deal.
+1 for Costco tires

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 am

Tire Rack may be fine but if you have a warranty claim you need to mail the tires back at your cost $7 each. Not a huge cost but hassle.
Costco won't handle warranty for tires not bought from them.. trying to replace this time at Costco.
I have Michelin's which got 38K out of the 65K warranty and need to replace.

Discount Tire (America's Tire in west coast) will warranty tires bought somewhere else like Tire Rack but is slightly more expensive than Costco, at least right now I am looking at Michelin's for a pilot. Costco has a $70 rebate on Michelins through Sunday is the likely reason. Costco also puts nitrogen in tires for no charge.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Discount has a pretty good rebate going on today and tomorrow only:

www.discounttire.com/july4thSale.html

victorb

Post by victorb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:27 pm

I have purchased tires from Tire Rack and locally. Tire Rack is great, however road hazard or mileage guarantee is much more of a hassle.
Costco does a great job and they take care of everything, so very hassle free and good pricing.
It's pretty hard to go wrong with Costco.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Another vote for Discount Tire.

Have heard good things about Costco, but no personal experience.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:10 pm

If I have a choice, I will never buy a tire from anyone other than Discount Tire. I can make an appointment and their customer service is phenomenal.

dwightnc6

Post by dwightnc6 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Been doing business for last 8 years with Discount Tire and they are just super folks to do business with. I've gone in to get new tires and they've helped me get rebates because the old tires didn't perform as advertised. Plus- their prices seem to always be the best. If you're traveling and have a tire issue, they are located across the USA and can handle the warranty. I'm a new member at Costco and love them but haven't needed tires since joining so can't offer a comparison.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:11 am

Recently bought a set of Michelin Primacy tires from Discount Tire and went back about a month later because I had one that was constantly leaking air.

They took the tire off and called me back in the shop to have a look. Turns out that a weld I had done to my rim years ago had a hairline crack. They didn't charge me a dime for the diagnosis, nor did they try to sell me anything. I simply ordered a new OEM rim from an online retialer, took it back to them a week later, and they installed it...again, NO CHARGE!

Discount Tire cannot be beat and they have me as a customer for life.

reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 am

dwightnc6 wrote:Been doing business for last 8 years with Discount Tire and they are just super folks to do business with. I've gone in to get new tires and they've helped me get rebates because the old tires didn't perform as advertised. Plus- their prices seem to always be the best. If you're traveling and have a tire issue, they are located across the USA and can handle the warranty. I'm a new member at Costco and love them but haven't needed tires since joining so can't offer a comparison.
Tried looking at these guys in my area but for my vehicle they offered very poor selection - only 6 to choose from and 3 of those were Michelin...only one Bridgestone and not the Blizzaks I'm looking for.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:56 pm

reneeh63 wrote:
dwightnc6 wrote:Been doing business for last 8 years with Discount Tire and they are just super folks to do business with. I've gone in to get new tires and they've helped me get rebates because the old tires didn't perform as advertised. Plus- their prices seem to always be the best. If you're traveling and have a tire issue, they are located across the USA and can handle the warranty. I'm a new member at Costco and love them but haven't needed tires since joining so can't offer a comparison.
Tried looking at these guys in my area but for my vehicle they offered very poor selection - only 6 to choose from and 3 of those were Michelin...only one Bridgestone and not the Blizzaks I'm looking for.
That's why you shop at Discount Tire Direct. Ship them to the store. Best prices by far (when rebates hit).

I don't have a Discount/America's tire in town, so I ship to home, then have another shop install. I rotate them myself during DIY oil changes.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Freddy wrote:

+1 for Costco tires
+2

granpa

Post by granpa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Costco email I received today says the "freebies" (rotate/roadhazard/balance/nitrogen) mentioned in some of these posts costs $15 per tire. Not sure what some bogleheads mean by "included". . . .

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:28 pm

We just got four Michelin Defender XT tires from Costco July 5th. $15/tire install fee. Free lifetime rotation and balancing. $70 off sale on any four Michelins. Good deal on Consumer Reports #1 passenger car non-performance all-season tire.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:29 pm

DFrank wrote:Many years ago I think Tire Rack was almost unbeatable in terms of getting the best price. Service was a bit hit or miss depending on the installer you used.

In the past 5-6 years I've found that Discount Tire will be at the same price as Tire Rack, perhaps even a little cheaper. I happen to like the service at my local Discount/America's Tire shop, and have bought a few sets of tires from them now.

Tire rack was more uncompetitive a few years ago than it has been lately. I always check their user ratings for snow and ice no matter where I buy, as I live in a part of the country where that occurs. It has made a difference in what tires I have selected. I always try to get ones that have a green rating for snow and ice, but will take one at the upper range of yellow if necessary.

Marmot

Costco

Post by Marmot » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:29 pm

Costco also gives you a year end rebate for what you spend.

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:40 am

I bought my last set at America's Tire (which is the same as Discount Tire). They had the best price for the sports car tire I wanted -- Costco didn't sell anything comparable. America's Tire will also rotate your tires for free even if you didn't buy the tires there. I've been really happy with them.

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:24 am

Hi,

Just bought 4 Michelin at Costco for $198 a tire including everything. Brought the "cart" details to Mason Tire and manager looks things up. His cost for the tire is $205.

Went with Costco. Hate to not support the local economy but not talking about chump change difference.

Wally

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:49 am

I used to think Costco was best place for tires. Not anymore, if you want the best tire for your vehicle or truck.

I had to go Discount Tires for 4 BF Goodrich A/T OK tires on my truck. Then when I thought I could replace my Bridgestone OEM tires (wore out after 18,000 miles on my curvy, paved mountain road) with Michelin Premier A/S, they were not available during the July $70 off Michelin sale. They were available a month earlier at full price. But Hey! Costco is pushing my Bridgestone OEM tires (which workers in the Costco tire shop say can get nowhere near the 80,000 miles claimed) this month.

Tip: The biggest item seller in Costco is Kirkland Toilet Tissue. I follow Consumer Reports advice for the best tissue on the planet...White Cloud 3-Ply Ultra Soft & Tough at Walmart.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:51 am

Sams,Costco,Walmart :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

walletless

Post by walletless » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Looks like most replies seem to suggest that it is best to shop around between Costco, Tire Rack, Discount Tire/America's Tire. They all provide very similar service and warranty, and they all are quite competitive from time-to-time.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:06 pm

We've bought at Sam's for over a decade and have found them to give good service with a very good price.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

quercus

Post by quercus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm

If you shop at Discount Tire Direct, but have them installed at your local Discount Tire -

Do you still get free tire rotations?
Do you still get lifetime free tire balancing (as needed)?

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:06 pm

quercus wrote:If you shop at Discount Tire Direct, but have them installed at your local Discount Tire -

Do you still get free tire rotations?
Do you still get lifetime free tire balancing (as needed)?
1 is true for sure since you don't even need to but from discount tire for free rotations.
Balancing -- not sure.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:13 am

When you look at the total picture, COSTCO is very difficult to beat.

Not only are their prices competitive, but you also get:

Free periodic tire rotation WITH "Balancing"

Free tire repair.

If you buy from any other source, you will have to pay for the rotation and balancing, and that adds to the total cost of the tires. Sure, some rotate the tires themselves, but what about re-balancing?

marc

marc515

Re: Costco

Post by marc515 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:16 am

Marmot wrote:Costco also gives you a year end rebate for what you spend.
Other credit cards will do that.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:20 am

Note, some have talked about considering total price of mount+balance+tire disposal, etc... most definately!

When I purchase from tire rack I found that prices for those other services differed drastically between different chains (from like $10 or 15 a tire all the way up to around $35 a tire!). Make sure to call around.. and make sure to explicitly ask what the price is if you provide the tire!

That said, in my area I found that Firestone has consistently wound up the least expensive place to get tires you don't buy from them mounted. Have never bought tires from them as they have yet to actually carry anything I want.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 am

You've already answered your question. Those are the 3 best places to purchase tires. Tirerack if you want the best deal and willing to work for it in terms of shipping and making an appointment with an installer. Costco if you like the convenience of getting it done while shopping but long wait times. America's Tires if you want fantastic customer service, larger tire selection, and shorter wait. Pros and cons all around. Sales are random all around.

I stick with Costco and America's Tires depending on who has the lowest price at the time I need my tires. I shy away from Tirerack because they do not have a brick and mortar store.

Afty

Post by Afty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:32 pm

marc515 wrote:When you look at the total picture, COSTCO is very difficult to beat.

Not only are their prices competitive, but you also get:

Free periodic tire rotation WITH "Balancing"

Free tire repair.

If you buy from any other source, you will have to pay for the rotation and balancing, and that adds to the total cost of the tires. Sure, some rotate the tires themselves, but what about re-balancing?

marc
America's Tire/Discount Tire gives those services for free even if you didn't buy the tires there. Plus in my experience the wait times are much shorter than Costco's.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Les Schwab Tires.
They are everywhere west of the Rockies.
Convenience and service is primary to me. Pricing is not in the equation. I have no idea where their price points are in relation to other outlets.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo