can you recommend comfortable walking shoes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seashell

can you recommend comfortable walking shoes?

Post by seashell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:22 am

A number of years ago I got really lucky. I went to the local mall and found some walking shoes on sale. These were by far
the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. They were reebok dmx. It was walking on fluffy cushions. There was so much support.
I could walk all day with these shoes and never be in pain and be in total comfort. I used them for working out (walking) and just general everyday use. I tried to find these shoes again when I needed another pair and found they were no longer the same. Now they feel like walking on cement. No support at all.

I then switched to Nike walking shoes and was a Nike fan for a number of years. Again the walking shoes
felt like walking on cushions. I tried finding another Nike shoe recently and found they no longer make shoes the same way either. I was stunned
when I contacted Nike and asked for their most comfortably cushioned walking shoe. They said they no longer have walking shoes but instead recommended their most cushioned running shoe that they said could be used for walking. I tried on the shoe to find it not only had no cushioning whatsoever it actually hurt my feet.

I tried on a number of shoes and brands and am at a loss. I hate to find myself sounding like my parents when I used to hear them complain how
things weren't made like they used to back in the day when things were made with quality but here I am mourning the loss of just a nice pair of comfortable walking shoes which I could buy for a reasonable price.

So I wanted to ask you your opinion. What walking shoes would you recommend. I can wear a woman's wide or men's regular and ideally I want a shoe that has the fluffy air cushioning though now I am open to other possibilities as long as the shoe is comfortable and well cushioned. I'm willing to hear all opinions, am now willing to spend more money on shoes so price range is open, and am willing to hear all experiences of comfortable shoes.

Thanks in advance.

bsteiner

Re: can you recommend comfortable walking shoes?

Post by bsteiner » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:51 am

I've had good luck with Mephisto and Ecco. I used to like the Rockport ProWalker with the replaceable Vibram sole but I haven't seen it in many years.

If you know what size will fit in a given brand, you may be able to find good deals on shoes on eBay.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 am

I walk the dog about 4 miles in the morning and another 4 miles in the evening. I use two kinds of shoes: running shoes or New Balance MW411 so-called "health walking" shoes, but they are just regular leather athletic shoes.

The trick though is to use shoe inserts of some type that work for you. Have you tried any shoe inserts? There are all kinds at the discount stores: gel, foam, carbon fiber, etc. I found I like a very stiff insert with an arch. Your mileage may vary.

I believe there have been a few threads about shoe inserts.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:54 am

Sketchers makes some really cushiony walking shoes. They aren't my thing, but I know several fellow teachers who rave about them. What worked for me were Dr. Scholl's gel work insoles, but they don't provide the pillowy feeling you are seeking.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09 am

bsteiner wrote:I've had good luck with Mephisto and Ecco. I used to like the Rockport ProWalker with the replaceable Vibram sole but I haven't seen it in many years.

If you know what size will fit in a given brand, you may be able to find good deals on shoes on eBay.
I tried Mephisto and hated them. They stayed in my closet essentially unworn until I donated them to Dress for Success.

I really like Rockport walking shoes. They're comfortable with a roomy toe box. Perhaps not as stylish as some, but I keep going back to them. I'd also been wearing Rockport boat shoes (as opposed to Sperry Topsiders), but they've changed the design and I find the new style with higher sides much less wearable. Back to Sperry.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:12 am

I like Merrell, have bought them several times.

I had a very bad experience with Rockport many years ago.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 am

seashell wrote: So I wanted to ask you your opinion. What walking shoes would you recommend. I can wear a woman's wide or men's regular and ideally I want a shoe that has the fluffy air cushioning though now I am open to other possibilities as long as the shoe is comfortable and well cushioned. I'm willing to hear all opinions, am now willing to spend more money on shoes so price range is open, and am willing to hear all experiences of comfortable shoes.

Thanks in advance.
They are definitely not cheap, but I like New Balance WW847v2 - they have very comfortable foam inserts. New Balance has a very narrow toe box, so I wear a wide in these shoes although I am otherwise a medium width. New Balance actually makes an Extra Wide in women's although I imagine it is more difficult to find. It appears this style is also available in Men's.

You may also be able to find a cheaper shoe with a removable insert. You could then use your own insert.

FYI, when I find a style I like, I wait until I get a coupon from one of the online shoe stores (shoes.com, shoemall.com, etc.) and buy an extra pair (or two) as a back-up replacement.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:44 am

You MUST try Skeechers. Their loafers are the most comfortable walking shoe I've ever used.

Topic Author
seashell

Post by seashell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the suggestions. For anyone else: Please keep any more suggestions coming. I'll try anything. I just came back from walking and I am now experiencing foot pain for the first time in years. I wish I had bought a bunch of the "we don't make these anymore" shoes while I had the chance. Diabetes runs in my family and exercise is a must but right now I'm in a bit of trouble without a good solid pair of shoes. I do like and my feet seem to do well with the pillowy cushioned shoes and am hoping I can find any comfortable walking shoe or cushion to help. Thanks again.

ft2010

Post by ft2010 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I have two pairs of reebok dmx max and found them very good. I bought mine during a trip to an outlet mall back in January. I just did a google search and the same (similar) model is available from many online sources. For example,
http://www.reebok.com/us/walk-ultra-iv- ... 88630.html

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:01 pm

I guess my biggest problem with athletic shoes, in general, is the lack of widths in most brands. I have, therefore, been a New Balance customer and, also, LL Bean for the last few years.
Marty

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:25 pm

MBT sandals with the rocker soles.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:35 pm

I've been happy with New Balance MW928BR men's walking shoes. The "rollbar" stiffeners feel good to me and eliminated the need to use orthotics, and I like the fact that, at least from a distance, they just look like plain ordinary brown leather shoes. They've gotten fantastically expensive, unfortunately.

One problem with them is that despite being billed as suitable for "trail walking," they don't react well to getting wet--even striding through dew-covered grass. Once they really get soaked they are never quite the same again. So I also have a pair of New Balance 623v2, billed as "cross trainers" and "water resistant," which they are. They have a sort of rubber cap over the toe which really helps keep water out of them, and they can get soaked and dry out without any apparent ill effects.

One good thing about New Balance, may others, is that they tell you which "last" each of their shoes uses, and if you know what size fits you well, any other New Balance shoe with the same last and size seems to fit exactly the same way.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:48 pm

I have been wearing various models from Ecco for years. Very happy with them. Walking, golf, hiking, sandals ...
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 pm

You'll get some good ideas here but everyones' feet and preferences are different.

I suggest joining VIP.Zappos (Zappos is owned by Amazon) and then ordering a number of different types of walking shoes until you find some you like. Shipping is overnight and return shipping for all the shoes you don't like is free. I've had good success finding shoes I like this way and have never had a problem getting prompt credit for returned items.

More information here....... http://www.zappos.com/why-vip
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Be careful when buying shoes online, there is a problem with counterfeit shoes. I know New Balance has had problems with counterfeits and I would assume that the other brands have problems too.

I like them but one thing to watch out for with New Balance shoes is that they seem to be less consistent in their sizing so when I am trying their shoes on I have to keep an open mind as to what is the right size for me.

You might try going to an REI store to see what if they have something that feels right to you.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:55 pm

mcblum wrote:I guess my biggest problem with athletic shoes, in general, is the lack of widths in most brands. I have, therefore, been a New Balance customer and, also, LL Bean for the last few years.
Marty
I bought New Balance after my ortho doc recommended them. They are the first shoes I've worn for years with enough room for the front of my feet. New Balance women's 847v2 As far as I can tell, also these are vegan, in case that matters to you.

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balanc ... with_Frost

I tried on several New Balance shoes in the store, and the fit seemed to vary between models.

Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm

As you shop for shoes be aware of the last design and shoe structure, i.e., whether they are intended for support for those needing arch support or suffer from pronation, and neutral shoes. I created problem for my feet by not paying attention and paying top dollar for the top of the line Brooks shoe, which was also for support, when my feet did not need support. The consequence was pressure on the outside of one foot that created arch pain and inter-toe pressure that was affecting my walking regimen (5 miles is a minimum). Only after a visit to several running stores and having what I hoped were knowledgeable salespersons, who were also serious walkers/hikers/runners, to observe my gait and suggest shoes (I tried several stores so that hopefully their observations would reinforce each other, and they did), and trying on several pairs of shoes again and again, I was able to find a new pair that, after my sore foot readjusted back to normal, is now very very comfortable and I am back up to my previous distances and times. So, more than these good suggestions from all responding to your question, a knowledgeable salesperson can be very important. I have had good experiences myself with both Brooks Glycerin and with New Balance M980GG2 since then. If you can get to Boston, the New Balance store on Boyleston has a very useful device that measures the pressure on the bottoms of your feet. For me it was accurate as it confirmed what my feet were already telling me. The NB walking shoes that Nisiprius and others have had luck using did not work for me as they were too stiff.

Karl V

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:11 pm

SAS makes very comfortable walking shoes. I havebthem in black. Easy Spirit also makes comfortable walking shoes. I always prefer trying them onnin the store.

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:38 pm

jebmke wrote:I have been wearing various models from Ecco for years. Very happy with them. Walking, golf, hiking, sandals ...
I like Ecco as well. About 10 years ago, I bought a pair of black, "dress-up" Ecco shoes to pound on cobbled streets of Paris. It looks stylish and is as comfortable as a pair of sneakers. Visiting the Eiffel tower, I decided to take the stairs to avoid long lines for elevators. I was able to get up to the highest level allowable for stair climbers without any problem. Moreover, it's durable - I'm still wearing it to work now.

Ecco also makes minimalist running shoes which I wear to run marathon this year. They're amazingly comfortable.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Another vote for New Balance. I have wide feet so I need shoes that come in widths.

They seem to last well, are quite sturdy, and have more lateral control than some others I tried.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Another vote for New Balance. I have 3 pair of 812s in various colors, all made in the USA. The black ones even serve me for when I ought to have a dressier black shoe. Well I also have some beat up ones that I wear around the yard too. For when its nasty outside I have a pair of MW1569s.

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Another NBalance endorsement for you, seashell. good luck!

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Volkdancer wrote: If you can get to Boston, the New Balance store on Boyleston has a very useful device that measures the pressure on the bottoms of your feet.
Scholl's has something like this scattered around in drugstores that bcan be located via the scholl's website. I don't know how useful it is, but it was interesting to see what it was displaying.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:23 am

I use Footjoy Contour Casuals for walking when playing golf. These are extremely comfortable. When I bought them, I played 18 holes walking the next day (about 5 miles) without any breakin. They are so comfortable I wear them a lot when not playing golf. They are much more comfortable than Ecco. I am a longtime Footjoy customer and they have always been noted for the comfort of their shoes.

SimpsonvilleSC

Post by SimpsonvilleSC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 am

I would stay away from Abeo. They sell them at the walking company? They don't hold up well at all. Had two pairs. I like the Merrill brand pretty well now.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:41 am

seashell wrote:So I wanted to ask you your opinion. What walking shoes would you recommend.
Everyone's feet are not identical so a shoe comfortable for one may not be for the next. It would help if you could clarify this info and/or what you've found comfortable as well as what you have not found comfortable. My wife, for example has low arches. I don't. So we do not find the same shoes to be comfortable.
seashell wrote:I hate to find myself sounding like my parents when I used to hear them complain how
things weren't made like they used to back in the day when things were made with quality but here I am mourning the loss of just a nice pair of comfortable walking shoes which I could buy for a reasonable price.
Quality is out there if one is willing to pay for it. The problem is that many base "reasonable price" on sweatshop pricing and expect craftsman manufacturing for that price.

If you're willing to find and pay for a proper shoe shop they should be able to find shoes suited to your feet and preferences.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:19 am

takeshi wrote: Quality is out there if one is willing to pay for it. The problem is that many base "reasonable price" on sweatshop pricing and expect craftsman manufacturing for that price.

If you're willing to find and pay for a proper shoe shop they should be able to find shoes suited to your feet and preferences.
The problem is, someone like me can be buying a product for years, and then the manufacturer offshores it or whatever and the new ones are crap, and I have to go looking for replacements, which is time consuming, instead of just simply re-buying. I would not mind paying extra for the same product, but that option doesn't exist.

dickyboy

Post by dickyboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:49 am

I've been a "New Balance" fan for years. Always a great fit, and comfortable. And, I just found them in Velcro which I love....getting too lazy to tie I guess.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Another New Balance fan here. I bought a pair of Roll Bar equipped walking shoes (8xx number) about 13 years ago and have been loving them since. I buy a pair a year at the store in Scottsdale. Sometimes I get walking shoes (which are mostly leather with little breathing holes) and sometimes I get cross trainers (more athletic look and lots of open cloth to breath) or XYZ. But I always get shoes with the Roll Bar. That is the key for me. The roll bar provides support to keep your arch up and keep your ankle from turning and making your foot flatter. These shoes are not cheap. I pay $90-$100+ for them.

Before NB I wore Rockports for every day use and they are OK but not as much support or comfort for long days.

Unfortunately I also wear Florsheim dress shoes that are cushy but not supporting so after a few hours my feet hurt. So now I know support is the key.

Good Luck.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:36 pm

maybe it is because I am in an area with a lot of seniors (South Florida); there are many discount shoe stores and a department store chain called Bealls (pronounced Bells) that carry huge selections of 'comfort' shoes, name brands at discounted prices.
for tennis I can go to any New Balance providers online where I know I am getting the right fit for my 12 4E shoes. Casuals, I need to try on and the local outlets are my best source. Not sure this helps but I am trying to catch Livesoft in the number of BH posts, I only need 39,000 more to catch up...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

HarrietSpy

Post by HarrietSpy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm sorry you are experiencing foot pain - it is truly awful. I agree that what works for one person may not work for another but I'll throw out a brand to consider: Finn Comfort. Several years ago, I developed horrible foot pain and I tried this shoe after doing panic online research and after a couple of days of wearing the shoes, the pain subsided. I couldn't believe it. The only bad news is that they are quite expensive (have wondered if I"ve been taken for a ride with the price/marking but yet...can't complain about the comfort) and...frankly, not terribly attractive. BUT, I figure more attractive than sweating with pain and walking with a wince! The shoes do wear very well. There are often discounts for this shoe if you look.

For gym shoes, I agree with going to a running shoe store to have them observe your gait and suggest a shoe that fits your needs. This is very much worth the effort in my opinion.

Prior to my foot problems, I wore and very much liked Ecco shoes.

Best wishes

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:23 pm

New Balance and Rockports. Check 6PM.com (Zappo's sale site) to see what they have for both brands.

joesnewbalanceoutlet.com is apparently run by New Balance. They have okay prices but there is a daily special on a shoe on the front page that is priced very well. I enjoy checking that every day just to see if I get lucky with something I like that fits and is inexpensive.

Before you start buying shoes online, try some on locally. New Balance seems to run very small. I go up a couple of sizes with their shoes, but they have many styles in 4E!

Have you tried replacing the insoles with inserts like Superfeet? They are ridiculously overpriced for what they are (a piece of plastic with foam on top) but can make a huge difference depending on what is causing your foot pain.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:10 pm

New Balance, Saucony, and Nike (no Rockports so far) have been the most comfortable walking shoes for me over the years, but the most important thing I can do is buy what fits correctly and feels best to begin with - before adding any kind of supports. I have found some shoes to fit so well that I don't need anything other than simple heel pads, at least until the shoes begin to wear out and lose the original fit and cushioning. However, trying to add supports or another pair of socks to make them last a bit longer almost never works and it's time to toss them out.

For winter, my favorite time to take long walks, I found a great pair of TEK waterproof shoes at L.L. Bean last year. The fit is so good that I need only a heel pad in the right shoe because my right foot is a bit smaller than the left. They were around $70, the most I've ever paid for any walkers.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:27 pm

I recently went to a custom fitter to find out what kind of arch support I need, and was very surprised to learn that I wear shoes which were a full size to a size & a half smaller than I what I need. The Asics Gel-Kayano 21 stood out after trying several Nike, Adidas, Brooks, and New Balance shoes with similar specs. They have excellent support and gel cushioning - super comfortable for all day general use through gym and running.

http://www.zappos.com/asics-gel-kayano- ... oyal-black
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 pm

New Balance 928 mesh. I am thinking of buying several pairs as I just know they will discontinue these and I will have to go through the trouble of trying to find something just as good. I have wide feet and NB have been the solution for me for a long time. I have never had any issues with fit or quality. I never get them online, always go through local running shop where I can try them on. They at $10 more, but it evens out not paying for shipping.

detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:13 pm

you should go to a specialty running store and see what type of foot you have and then get the recommendation from the store what type of shoe you need. You may also simply need an orthotic which goes inside your shoe to relieve foot pain.

bobolinx

Post by bobolinx » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 pm

As we age, shoes are more difficult for those of us who are active. I recommend Superfeet inserts for support. They were designed by a podiatrist and substitute for my orthotics in many shoes. Also, running shoes may or may not be useful. They are designed for light people and their midsoles do not last. Depending on your body weight/shoe size, many athletic shoes may be too wimpy. I suggest some lightweight hiking shoes plus inserts from superfeet. Good Luck!

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm

SimpsonvilleSC wrote:I would stay away from Abeo. They sell them at the walking company? They don't hold up well at all. Had two pairs. I like the Merrill brand pretty well now.
Abeo is the Walking Co. House brand. They have them made for them, and you are right, they do not hold up. I had two pairs that developed squeaks, and they replaced them. The second pair I asked to be replaced with Ecco, and they worked out well. Being that they replaced the Abeo twice, they blamed it on the way I walk, as no other customer had developed a squeak to their sneakers. Needless to say I haven't been back.

I have painful feet due to arthritis and my Podiatrist sent me to a New Balance store. There, they look at the way you walk and offer a shoe with the best features. They have been fantastic. They last long, and on top of that I get a 10% discount because my doctor recommended me to them. I'm sticking with NB.

Schu

Post by Schu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I second going to a local running store to be properly fitted. I bought shoes this way (Brooks) and went on a trip to Italy. I was shocked I had no foot problems. Might be luck, but I've been doing well with Brooks for years now, using their shoe advisor at their website, brooksrunning.com when I need a new pair.

It's good to know about pronation, and the "expert" fitting helped me assess it.

Norris

Post by Norris » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Been doing a lot of walking for a lot of years and have worn out a lot of walking and running shoes. New Balance wins with me too. I would add that you may want to consider running shoes even though you walk. I walk fast and prefer NB running shoes although I currently have one pair of walkers that I love. I rotate between at least three pair, it gives them a chance to air dry.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

segfault

Post by segfault » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:I like Merrell, have bought them several times.
+1 for Merrell. I'm on my second set of Moab Ventilators. Despite them being ventilated, I wear them all seasons of the year. They are very comfortable for everyday walking and also have a nice, grippy tread for going on the occasional hike.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:06 am

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
takeshi wrote: Quality is out there if one is willing to pay for it. The problem is that many base "reasonable price" on sweatshop pricing and expect craftsman manufacturing for that price.

The problem is, someone like me can be buying a product for years, and then the manufacturer offshores it or whatever and the new ones are crap, and I have to go looking for replacements, which is time consuming, instead of just simply re-buying. I would not mind paying extra for the same product, but that option doesn't exist.
Years ago I bought a pair of heavy-tread, all-terrain sandals from LL.Bean that turned out to be heaven for walking. Walking miles and walking everywhere. At the end of the season when they went on sale I bought four identical pairs. The following spring, lo and behold when I opened one of the boxes I discovered that the four new pairs were actually cheapened versions of the original pair purchased just months before. Arggghhhh!

I am still wearing them, and they are still better than any comparable sandals on the market. This is the men's version: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85907?fe ... aupe/Burnt Orange&productId=1441304. They don't seem to carry the women's version at the present, except for a thin, strappy mutation.

I wear them with heavy rag wool socks from REI (http://www.rei.com/product/879742/fox-r ... wool-socks, the quality of which seems to have plummeted in recent years as well), or Smartwool socks. I realize this looks incredibly, phenomenally geeky, heavy sandals with winter wool socks in August, but I don't care. This combination is extremely comfortable for me when walking. And my feet are happy.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:09 am

Crocs ,or Merrell Shoes work for me :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Topic Author
seashell

Post by seashell » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. Really appreciate it.

newboggler

Post by newboggler » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:30 pm

I love my sketchers with memory foam cushion for work (lots of walking, stair climbing and standing)
I also love my rockport world tour shoes, very comfortable

I buy them from outlets with coupons or from stores like Macy's or Nordstrom

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Toons wrote:Crocs ,or Merrell Shoes work for me :happy
That reminds me that I still have my Merrell shoes (Sedona Ventilator) that I first wore starting in the late '90s for walks that included hiking hills and the Rockies. I don't hike as much now, but occasionally wear them on cold days and they are still comfortable and look good. Bought them at REI, along with socks I still wear and that will not wear out (except I can't make out the brand as it has faded). The REI stuff was expensive, but obviously worth every penny.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:57 am

Merrell shoes got me through three days at Disneyland. Our contractor told me about them just before our trip. So, I bought a pair at the outlet store hoping they would work for me. I could walk the two parks from dawn to dark and stand in line for hours just like everyone else. My family was amazed since my feet are notorious for caving in quickly. Now, I have several more pairs.

terctun

Post by terctun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Asics, Ecco, Teva

I've run a couple half marathons in Asics 2140's. I stocked up several years ago so I'm still wearing through the stock. The 1100, 2100, and Cumulus series work for me. I also wear these out and about, so walking is no problem.

Ecco Helsinki at work. I can walk almost as long as the Asics and they take years to wear out.

Teva Hurricanes...I don't do flip flops. The uppers can be rough at times especially if sandy but can walk miles in dry Tevas.