Under the sink reverse osmosis water filter recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mrxyz

Under the sink reverse osmosis water filter recommendations?

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:06 am

Hi all,

I wonder if you can recommend a good under the sink RO water filter? Is it better to have whole house water filter or under the sink for drinking water?
Also, I have read some of the forum posts on drinking water and they mention NOT having a tank option for the under the sink water filter and to have 'on demand' water filtered out so that there is no water tank to deal with and there is less wasted water.
Also, what system has easy to buy and replace filters? And finally any comments on the cost aspect??

Thanks!!

reason-logic

Re: Under the sink reverse osmosis water filter recommendations?

Post by reason-logic » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 am

I have a Kinetico system in both of my houses, connected to drinking water faucet in sink plus ice maker. Works great, low maintenance. Has a pressure tank to insure constant flow of water. I highly recommend.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:42 am

reason-logic wrote:I have a Kinetico system in both of my houses, connected to drinking water faucet in sink plus ice maker. Works great, low maintenance. Has a pressure tank to insure constant flow of water. I highly recommend.
Thanks!
The sink and ice makers are not next to each other........ the Kinetico system placement is not easy. Did you have any such issue?
How expensive are the filters and how often do you have to change them?

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:48 am

Just curious what the opinions are of reverse osmosis vs a regular water filter under the sink (or in the fridge). I know arsenic is one of the contaminants that can be an issue. But even with reverse osmosis you can't remove all contaminants, e.g. some pesticides will still stay. The biggest issues I read was that the water is demineralized. I used only a relative simple under the sink filter and was quite happy with it. So curious why you are picking reverse osmosis?

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 am

German Expat wrote:Just curious what the opinions are of reverse osmosis vs a regular water filter under the sink (or in the fridge). I know arsenic is one of the contaminants that can be an issue. But even with reverse osmosis you can't remove all contaminants, e.g. some pesticides will still stay. The biggest issues I read was that the water is demineralized. I used only a relative simple under the sink filter and was quite happy with it. So curious why you are picking reverse osmosis?
Hi
The quick answer is I don't know! Spouse wants it and so.............
Personally I am fine with tap water but I have to live with my family!! :happy :) :D

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:33 am

Mrxyz wrote:
German Expat wrote:Just curious what the opinions are of reverse osmosis vs a regular water filter under the sink (or in the fridge). I know arsenic is one of the contaminants that can be an issue. But even with reverse osmosis you can't remove all contaminants, e.g. some pesticides will still stay. The biggest issues I read was that the water is demineralized. I used only a relative simple under the sink filter and was quite happy with it. So curious why you are picking reverse osmosis?
Hi
The quick answer is I don't know! Spouse wants it and so.............
Personally I am fine with tap water but I have to live with my family!! :happy :) :D
I was more curious since most of my research at the time was more in favor of regular water filters and they are much easier to install and maintain. What do you try to accomplish? My main goal was to get the chloride out of the water (taste) and also some of the chemicals / pollutants. Installed it in line below the sink and was quick to do (loose some pressure). With reverse osmosis you need to worry about getting the minerals back by other means.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 am

I have used the Everpure water filter for years now: http://residential.everpure.com
You might consider it.
Best Wishes, | Joe

reason-logic

Post by reason-logic » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:58 am

I placed mine in basement under kitchen so lines under under kitchen to both outlets. I change one filter each year for about $60.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:00 am

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

scouter

Post by scouter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Also know that RO filters waste 5 gallons for every gallon of filtered water. When I found that out, we got rid of ours and went with a simpler 2-stage filter.

AZMax

Post by AZMax » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Had a Premier under sink RO system that I got at Sams Club at least 15 years ago. Only had to replace the filters a few times, but had several issues with leaks, shut off valve failures, low pressure/supply, etc. After dealing with all this and learning how much water they waste, I opted to convert it to a traditional charcoal/sediment filter. I did this just a few weeks ago by reusing the three stage 10" filter housing from the RO and adding a new faucet. This was a great decision as I now have a simpler system, no wasted water, good pressure and no discernable difference in taste. If you are on a city water system, there's really nothing bad you're trying to get rid of anyway - it's just about taste.
Freed up a bunch of room under the sink by getting rid of the tank too.
10" filters are widely available, come in many different media types and are very easy to replace.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:20 pm

I have been using these people for decades.
Knowledgeable, good price, industry standard filter sizes and they seem to be sticking around.
http://theh2oguru.com/

I use RO for drinking and the refrigerator. My water is well water w/ iron, manganese and other stuff. The RO produced water tastes great.
I'm not sure I'd have one if I had town water but after getting used to non-chlorinated water, I find town water has a nasty chlorine taste( and smell) to it.

The best time to install RO when you do a kitchen remodel. You need to drill a large hole (1" or so) for the tap. Easy enough with a stainless sink if you have the drill bit but if you have an undermount enamel sink with a nice granite countertop it's not for the timid do-it-yourselfer.

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Interested to see others thoughts on water filters generally and RO units specifically. Cautions about removing fluoride from the water should be considered, especially if there are children drinking the water. Unless addressing specific issues, it strikes me that the home water filter/treatment movement is much like taking vitamins - more about marketing than actual benefits.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:14 am

6miths wrote:Interested to see others thoughts on water filters generally and RO units specifically. Cautions about removing fluoride from the water should be considered, especially if there are children drinking the water. Unless addressing specific issues, it strikes me that the home water filter/treatment movement is much like taking vitamins - more about marketing than actual benefits.
RO is completely redundant with your municipal water supply. So you are sort of right. In many parts of the country households could meet all their own water needs with collected rainwater, and those that did would need RO for the water they consumed (cheaper treatment would suffice for other uses). It isn't crazy to imagine a time when significant numbers of people did this, much as many people now generate and store their own electricity. Such options would be attractive where municipal water companies are poory run and/or where maintaining traditional infrastructure is not politically or fiscally viable.

But you are right. If you aren't treating rainwater or surface water or bad well water, you almost definitely don't need RO. And if you are using RO anyway, you should look into going off the grid and getting some return on your investment.

/edited an autocorrect typo/

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 am

reason-logic wrote:I have a Kinetico system in both of my houses, connected to drinking water faucet in sink plus ice maker. Works great, low maintenance. Has a pressure tank to insure constant flow of water. I highly recommend.
I too have a kinetico water softener and drinking system. The drinking system is in the basement with lines to the ice maker and a separate faucet at the sink.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 am

wfrobinette wrote:
I too have a kinetico water softener and drinking system. The drinking system is in the basement with lines to the ice maker and a separate faucet at the sink.
I just bought the Kube14 waiting for it to arrive. Do you buy the $70 filters or know where they are better priced? Thanks!

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:43 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
wfrobinette wrote:
I just bought the Kube14 waiting for it to arrive. Do you buy the $70 filters or know where they are better priced? Thanks!
I just have the company come out and replace everything once per year. I think they charge $100 all in.

walletless

Post by walletless » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 am

We just installed the APEC 5 stage system under our sink. They sell on amazon for $199 & have very good reviews. We immediately notice a big difference in taste of water. I'm very happy with the purchase so far. We paid $80 to a handyman to get it installed.

Expresswater.com is another place that sell well reviewed system for cheap. Our handyman had installed the APEC unit before so we went with that. All these systems use Chinese parts (some, such as APEC are "built in usa" but still use Chinese parts), but I find the quality decent. I will likely buy replacement filters at expresswater given the price (APEC uses standard filter sizes. The carbon and sediment filters are not so different that the brand would matter a lot).

Pics of the APEC unit:

I'll concur with the posters above that you should purchase standard size units so you can reduce your replacement/maintenance expenses for filters. Don't buy large national brands such as Brita (sold at Home Depot) as they use propriety fliters.

testing321

Post by testing321 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:45 pm

hicabob wrote:The best time to install RO when you do a kitchen remodel. You need to drill a large hole (1" or so) for the tap. Easy enough with a stainless sink if you have the drill bit but if you have an undermount enamel sink with a nice granite countertop it's not for the timid do-it-yourselfer.
I replaced a faucet that used three holes plus one for the sprayer with a faucet that used two holes plus one for the sprayer. This freed up a hole for the water filter faucet. We were ready for a new faucet anyway.

If you use a toothpaste with fluoride, I don't think you also need it in your water.