Need to dispose tube TV in Pennsylvania. Township won't pick up.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mac_guy

Need to dispose tube TV in Pennsylvania. Township won't pick up.

Post by mac_guy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi, I am helping a relative clean out their home. They have a very old 27" (1970's era) RCA console tube TV which actually still works. They need to dispose of it. I am assuming it has no value and that it needs to be junked or recycled.

I don't have access to a vehicle large enough to move it and this presents us with a real conundrum. In many townships in PA, you can pay a little extra for a "special refuse collection" where the township would pickup old appliances curbside. My relative's township offers this service for the cost of $15 per appliance. In 2013, the township stopped allowing tube TV's to be picked up in this manner (in response to PA law.) Now, they require these TV's to be delivered to a special once a year TV recycling event. The township clearly states they will no longer pickup TV's from your home.

As I said, I cannot transport this TV (it's too bulky.) I have a hand truck that I think would allow me to get it to the curb, however. The township's website actually says that if you need a TV to be picked up, you can call 1-800-GOT-JUNK. 1-800-GOT-JUNK charges a $99 MINIMUM fee. There has to be a cheaper way to dispose of this TV. Anyone have ideas on how to do this? I imagine there are other states that require special handling and recycling of CRT TV's.
Last edited by mac_guy on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stan1

Re: Need to dispose tube TV in Pennsylvania. Township won't pick up.

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Set it out on the curb and put a large sign on it that says "Still works -- FREE!"

May or may not work, but worth a try.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm pretty sure Best Buy accepts those for recycling at no charge. But you have to get it there.

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:12 pm

prudent wrote:I'm pretty sure Best Buy accepts those for recycling at no charge. But you have to get it there.
Actually, I looked into that. Best Buy states that they won't pick up: "Console TVs of any size, or tube TVs and monitors larger than 32." This is a console TV, so they won't accept it - even if I could deliver it.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:14 pm

I feel your pain.

I have a 36" Toshiba picture tube TV that started in the living room, then moved to the master bedroom, then moved to guest bedroom, now residing in my garage. The picture is still great.

It takes two men and a couple of kids to move the thing. Seriously, it is heavy.

I keep hoping it dies but the darn thing keeps on working.

Maybe an ad on craigslist might draw some interest from someone. Any neighbors having a garage sale?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Last year when I was at the dump I noticed a pile of CRT TV's sitting there. I bet most of them still worked.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Goodwill it, if they pick up.

Otherwise, contact a shelter or similar "get people back on their feet" place and see if they can pick it up and use it. Maybe throw in some furniture too for their efforts.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Habit for Humanity Restore (just guessing).
Last edited by runner9 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Don't even think about attempting to disassemble it. The exposed high voltages around the CRT can be deadly. Really - even if it's been sitting around unplugged.

I've disposed of a 27" Sony CRT many years ago, as I understand how to safely discharge a CRT. Even if you get the CRT out of the cabinet, you still have to transport that glass safely; which is why you want to keep everything intact. The glass itself is about 60 lbs.

You might try calling sites located in this list: MRM State of Pennsylvania collection sites

PA recycling info: Electronics Recycling Management Program

Why CRT's are problematic: Regulation of Cathode Ray Tubes (Read the brochure "Current Understanding of the CRT Landscape by the Electronics Recycling Community, September 2014 (PDF)")
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mac_guy

Post by mac_guy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:I feel your pain.

I have a 36" Toshiba picture tube TV that started in the living room, then moved to the master bedroom, then moved to guest bedroom, now residing in my garage. The picture is still great.

It takes two men and a couple of kids to move the thing. Seriously, it is heavy.

I keep hoping it dies but the darn thing keeps on working.

Maybe an ad on craigslist might draw some interest from someone. Any neighbors having a garage sale?

Broken Man 1999
Well, I am just assuming no one would want to use this anymore. I mean, it's a tube TV from 1975. There is no remote control. It would be like going back decades in terms of A/V technology. Why would anyone do that when for a for a very small amount of money, you could buy a flat screen HDTV.

That said, my relative was still using it. They may be a Boglehead :happy. They had it hooked up to a rooftop antenna. When the analog broadcasts went digital, they picked up a free converter box from a federal gov program. This converter box actually improved their experience as now they could at least change channels with the remote control.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Rent a trailer and take it the once-a-year event.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:07 pm

stan1 wrote:Set it out on the curb and put a large sign on it that says "Still works -- FREE!"

There's been one of those, including the "still works" part, on the opposite side of my street for at least three weeks now. I just checked: it's still there.

Nobody wants a CRT any more.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:18 pm

If the relative is okay with the idea of Internet strangers coming by, you could try Freecycle or posting it on the free section of Craigslist. Might be safer at least getting it out to the curb for such a transaction though, so random Internet strangers can't case your relative's home.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:15 pm

telemark wrote:
stan1 wrote:Set it out on the curb and put a large sign on it that says "Still works -- FREE!"

There's been one of those, including the "still works" part, on the opposite side of my street for at least three weeks now. I just checked: it's still there.

Nobody wants a CRT any more.
Possibly, but the retro 1970's TV console is a little more unique than a plastic-cased 1990s TV. I think there's a match out there for it, just a matter of how hard it is to find the right person.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Check out the antique malls around you. I bet one of the vendors would want it. Tell them they can have it free if they come and get it.

Take a picture with you.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:37 pm

I recently donated a 46" projection TV (about 15 years old) and a local charity that picks up larger items (they also have a thrift store where I dropped off many smaller items) was happy to take it and a bunch of pieces of furniture.

Best Buy will also haul away larger TVs if you buy a replacement item from them.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Prom ... 4900050009

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:19 pm

In addition to the shock hazard the large CRT picture tube is also dangerous since if they break they can implode because of the vacuum and send glass flying. If you move it be careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAxSaETJRI

Some of them are also very heavy so watch out for back injuries.

If you have some other hard to get rid of stuff that $99 minimum might not be so bad if you are not on a tight budget.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:23 pm

I took a 25" TV I'd bought in 1995 to Goodwill about three years ago when I moved. They took it. They also took an old 17" computer monitor.

canderson

Post by canderson » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:26 pm

If you don't mind posting the township, I might be able to help you.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Random Poster wrote:Goodwill it, if they pick up.

Otherwise, contact a shelter or similar "get people back on their feet" place and see if they can pick it up and use it. Maybe throw in some furniture too for their efforts.
Nobody would take my parents late 90's model, even Goodwill. We drove all around town before throwing it in a dumpster.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:58 pm

canderson wrote:If you don't mind posting the township, I might be able to help you.
Likewise, I'm in Chester County and can help.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:02 pm

In April I bought a new HDTV to replace a non-functioning, boat anchor sized 61" projection TV. The seller delivered, set up the new set and took the old one away. They charged $80 to set up the new TV and $20 to haul the old one away. On 2 separate and previous occasions when I bought new HDTV's from BestBuy, they did the same thing for no charge, although the Tube TVs they hauled away were 20" and 32".

One other thought. I believe the Salvation Army picks up TVs in working order. You might want to check with them.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Traveler wrote:I took a 25" TV I'd bought in 1995 to Goodwill about three years ago when I moved. They took it. They also took an old 17" computer monitor.
The Goodwills in my area stopped taking them a year or so ago. Before that they were selling them in their stores for around $1.50 for big working color CRT TVs. Nobody wants them.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

rayout

Post by rayout » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Best Buy will take any tube TV/monitor 32" or less. They charge a disposal fee but it is rebated in the form of a gift card. You can rent a U-Haul truck for $20 plus mileage.

EDIT: Nevermind, console TVs are excluded as others have noted however you may be able to call them to schedule a pick up and haul-away.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Donate to goodwill with two other furniture items. They will pick for free. You can do depreciated tax deduction.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:34 pm

I hired a trash hauling company to take mine away. They hauled the thing out of the house as well. I forget what they charged, but it would have been well worth $99 to get rid of it.

No one wants these, I suspect even Goodwill does not want them. They weigh a ton and take up a lot of room.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Had a 26" working RCA CRT and the Vietnam Vets picked it up.
All the Best, | Joe

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:18 pm

Did that with a dryer last week. Gone in an hour.
All the Best, | Joe

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 am

Thanks for the PM. Can you confirm the date of the electronic waste recycling event, and that they will accept a TV like this? I went to one of these events last year and I was surprised by the "vintage" electronics!

Also - I think I'm misunderstanding the situation. Is the issue that you don't own to a vehicle large enough to transport a TV? In true Boglehead fashion, I'm considering downsizing from a SUV to a small sedan because I don't typically carry a lot of people/stuff. A small sedan would meet >95% of my needs, and I could rent a specialty vehicle on an as needed basis. Is Enterprise Rent-A-Car an option? How about a pick-up truck from U-Haul? Perhaps the underlying issue is medically related. I don't mean to sound harsh - I'm really interested in making sure that as a community we provide everything that you and your family need. Is the issue that you are unable to get the TV from your home to a car/truck, or that you are unable to get a car/truck large enough to transport an older TV?

just frank

Post by just frank » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:15 am

I put my monster out and posted on Craigslist/free. 5 years ago now, but it was gone in a few hours.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:26 am

Same here, my town stopped picking up all electronics, discontinued the annual pickup day. So now we throw them all into our large garbage container. There does not seem to be any other option to us. Probably when the garbage company receives them in their sorting facility, they will sort electronics out. It took 2 adult men to drop the 27 inch TV into our garbage container, and the new 60 inch TV is wonderful. There was no problem for us at garbage pickup.

Marmot

Freecycle.org

Post by Marmot » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:59 am

Try this, my sister in law showed me this site. Worth a look.

http://my.freecycle.org/

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Best Buy takes it free.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

OAG

Post by OAG » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 am

Probably not a good way to do this but... I had a 32 inch Sony very large and heavy TV. Could not find anyone that wanted it or anyone that would pick it up. It was located in the Basement Rec Room. What I did was move the thing to the utility area of the basement - the thing weighed about 200 pounds and front of screen was glass about two inches thick and we (DW and I could not get it up the stairs). I dismantled it as much as I could - down to the tube. Covered the tube with a blanket then using a hammer broke the tube. After the explosion I took the thing up piece by piece and recycled it as it was mostly glass. Rest of it when into the trash. All gone and as I said probably not a good way to accomplish the goal - get rid of the thing.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 am

We had an old 27" TV in a very nice cabinet complete with closing doors. When the TV gave out many years ago I took it out of the cabinet and disposed of it. (That was when you could still put them in the trash.) Put in a floor where the wire mesh was on the bottom and a back on it and used it many years with more portable TVs. The largest it could hold was a 25" model. When the last CRT model gave out I reinforced the top so we could put our hi def TV on top with cable boxes and dvd players inside. Still using it that way.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 am

According to Best Buy's website, they do not accept console televisions of any size for recycling in PA but you might ask them what they suggest to people with televisions they can't accept.

Municipal waste facilities in PA can't accept televisions at all. You have already contacted your township, but check here to see if there is another contact listed:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... ams/589591

Listing it on Craig's list might not be a bad idea. Since it works, put it curbside on a sunny day and post an ad describing it and saying it is at curbside for pickup. You would be surprised what people will take.

If you don't want to post an ad, make a sign that says "$20 OBO" on it and it will disappear overnight! 8-)

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 am

OAG wrote:Probably not a good way to do this but... I had a 32 inch Sony very large and heavy TV. Could not find anyone that wanted it or anyone that would pick it up. It was located in the Basement Rec Room. What I did was move the thing to the utility area of the basement - the thing weighed about 200 pounds and front of screen was glass about two inches thick and we (DW and I could not get it up the stairs). I dismantled it as much as I could - down to the tube. Covered the tube with a blanket then using a hammer broke the tube. After the explosion I took the thing up piece by piece and recycled it as it was mostly glass. Rest of it when into the trash. All gone and as I said probably not a good way to accomplish the goal - get rid of the thing.
crt's have a little nub you can break off to de-vacuum them - no need for the hammer.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:48 am

OAG wrote:Covered the tube with a blanket then using a hammer broke the tube.
As previously noted, it is dangerous to dismantle a CRT since they can retain electricity even years after being unplugged. You have to use special tools to discharge the tube before dismantling. The glass might also be coated in hazardous substances and/or be leaded glass, so just breaking it apart is not recommended.

While you might get lucky dismantling a CRT (and obviously this poster did), it's more likely you'll electrocute yourself. Whether you electrocute yourself enough to cause permanent harm or death really does depend on the CRT and how much electricity it has stored. That's really a large risk to take just to save money in removing an item from an abode.

This is part of the reason CRTs are so difficult to dispose of these days. Cabinet CRTs are hampered by their bulkiness to boot. If it's too big to handle yourself, it's just safer to pay the experts to do it.