Three devices = redundancy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Three devices = redundancy

Post by Barefootgirl »

I own a MacBook, an iPad and Galaxy smartphone.

I've found this is redundant for my needs. I literally use the smartphone only for talk and text. That's all I need a phone for.
When I'm in a mobile situation and want to do some banking or check email, I pull out the tablet.
It just works for me due to my preferences and the size of the devices.

The next one that will probably reach end of life will be the phone. I don't see why I should purchase another smartphone, but have no idea if they even make simple cellphones any longer.

Can anyone recommend a simple phone or explain why I might want to keep buying smartphones when I only use talk and text?

thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
bloom2708

Re: Three devices = redundancy

Post by bloom2708 »

How does your iPad connect to the interweb when you are using it while out and about?

Carriers typically still carry a few non-smartphones. For non-contract, look at carriers like Cricket Wireless or Page Plus.

When your Galaxy smartphone needs replacing, maybe consider selling the iPad and buying the iPhone version X "Plus" phone. Combine the tablet with a phone and sport a nice phablet.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I cannot carry a tablet while I am out bike riding nor running nor canoeing nor kayaking. I do e-mail on a smartphone, texting, and rarely use the phone.

I would give up the tablet myself (easy for me to type, since I do not have tablet). A tablet with a keyboard is called a MacBook Air, except the latter comes with a built-in stand, built-in keyboard, multi-window functionality, and the trackpad when configured properly for multi-touch operation is better than a touchscreen.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

If it were me, I would get rid of the tablet and get a slightly larger phone with a bigger, higher resolution screen, but it is easy to find non contract flip phones for about $25 if you just do a Google search. The one I use for outdoor work is a hand me down from a friend. I have another waiting in the wings in case this one dies.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

Also note that usable and not-that-janky, low-end smartphones are cheap these days, with reputable models like an older Moto E coming in under $100 off contract, never mind the absolute barebone models below that. But if you're really not using any of the features, a cheap feature phone will save a little bit on that. It may be more about the form factor than the cost, though.

Going with a huge phone to replace the phone and tablet both is another option.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

The pad will always be more comfortable than the phone to use due to size, but if you can use a tablet, a 'larger' smartphone will definitely do the trick on the road. Yes, you will be making a small sacrifice by foregoing the size of the tablet, but current-gen smartphones are so good now that they can completely replace tablets. I did this as an experiment a few months ago and despite being a die-hard laptop user (I type fast!), I was amazed to find that over a 2-week period, I could completely survive on my phone alone and Republic Wireless's $25/Month 3G service with not too much inconvenience once I learned how to move about the phone and type faster (I still hate typing on a phone!) I dont' even bring my laptop with me anymore on trips <2wks since the phone is so powerful.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I have a cheap phone that talks and texts with T-mobile that I let the kids use. I have it on the pay as you go plan, but you can sign up for monthly as well.

I've tried to cut back too. I have an iPhone for general use (need to look up various stuff frequently for job, use it for maps, weather, etc.) I've taken social apps off of it to minimize wasted time.

I used to use an iPad, but have since stopped. I find my time is much better regulated using an e-ink kindle for reading.

The rest of the internet (facebook, bogleheads, etc.) I restrict to the home computer.
Indexed Fully!
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Puakinekine wrote:If it were me, I would get rid of the tablet and get a slightly larger phone with a bigger, higher resolution screen, but it is easy to find non contract flip phones for about $25 if you just do a Google search. The one I use for outdoor work is a hand me down from a friend. I have another waiting in the wings in case this one dies.
Yes, this. Get rid of the tablet and get a bigger smart phone. The GPS capabilities alone make a smart phone worthwhile to me, including locating specific restaurants and business and getting directions to them.

Cosmo
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

My wife and son have talk/text-only phones. Cheap service and if my wife drops the phone in her coffee (has happened more than once), we buy a cheap replacement for under $10 and put in the sim card.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

I agree with others that have suggested trying a larger smartphone, like an iPhone 6 Plus, and stop using the iPad. The iPhone 6 Plus is almost as big as the iPad Mini. If you text a lot, once you've had a smartphone I think you will find flip phone texting even more horrible than you probably remember it being.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Couldn't you continue to use the smartphone but not pay for data? That way you still have access to apps when at mickyds or whatever.
Mike
Aesthetics

Post by Aesthetics »

Get a Galaxy Note 4 and get rid of the tablet. If anything the tablet is the redundant item. You cant carry a tablet around with you to a restaurant or at a mall or something. If you want a tablet, get one of the tablet/laptop hybrids. The Surface Pro 3 is amazing. Works extremely well as a laptop, and has tablet capabilities.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I have faced the same predicament and found that the iPad really is the most useless of the 3. If I'm at home I'd rather use a laptop/desktop than the ipad, and if I'm out and about I can do everything I need with the iPhone. The iPad is nice to read magazines on but that's about it. It was given to me as a gift, and I'm very glad I did not spend my own money on it because it basically sits on the counter doing nothing.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I personally combined the tablet into the laptop with a Surface Pro 3. Then I have an old Galaxy Note 2 that I use for smartphone capabilities. On a day-to-day basis, the Galaxy Note is used for GPS, music streaming to Bluetooth speakers, looking up reviews on Yelp, email, text, and phone calls. I'll also use it to browse the news while in waiting rooms or when out to lunch by myself.

The Surface Pro 3 can be combined with a mini-DisplayPort to monitor (DVI, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort) adapter and wireless USB keyboard and mouse to give it the full desktop experience. Or it can be used with the type cover to give the laptop experience. Or it can be used bare to give the tablet experience. I've never been much of a fan of Microsoft, but they really did hit the sweet spot here in combining functionality into one device.
Watty

Post by Watty »

but have no idea if they even make simple cellphones any longer.
They do. I have a flip phone that cost less than $20 and I am on a plan that costs about $7 a month for more minutes than I will ever use. Typically when I am out somewhere were a smartphone would be useful I am with someone that has a smart phone. I have a GPS in my car that cost less than $100 and it is actually legal to use while driving.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I personally don't see much overlap between my laptop(s), my tablet(s) and my phone(s).

(Yes, plural, because I happen to have multiple of each: Windows work laptop, personal MacBook Pro, iPad and Nexus 7 tablets, Nexus 5 and cheap prepaid flipphone with ported former landline #)

When I am out and about, I usually have my smartphone with me and thus am always able to send a quick text or email, look something up on Google or find my way around with maps. I very rarely make actual voice calls.

If I am at home or at the coffee shop trying to get work done, I use my laptop; neither phone nor tablet are productive for that.

If I am sitting on my couch or - as right now - in the backyard, I use my iPad to read Bogleheads or Facebook or email or books (Kindle, Safari Books Onlinr). When I travel, I often take just the phone and tablet, unless I know I will need to do real work or want to manage my photos along the way. A larger phone (phablet) isn't really going to cut it for me; I much prefer the larger iPad Air 2 screen over my more compact 7" Nexus 7 tablet screen.

There certainly are still cheap phones available. I bought one recently to port my old land line number to as an interim step to moving it to Google Voice. For texting, though, I would much prefer a smartphone with its more usable keyboard.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

Barefootgirl wrote:I own a MacBook, an iPad and Galaxy smartphone.

I've found this is redundant for my needs. I literally use the smartphone only for talk and text. That's all I need a phone for.
When I'm in a mobile situation and want to do some banking or check email, I pull out the tablet.

The next one that will probably reach end of life will be the phone. I don't see why I should purchase another smartphone, but have no idea if they even make simple cellphones any longer.

Can anyone recommend a simple phone or explain why I might want to keep buying smartphones when I only use talk and text?

thanks
I cannot justify the Cost of a 'Smart Phone' ... I am retired. I have a Flip Phone that I pay about $10 a year for (Pay as you Go). I hate talking on the phone, as it reminds me of Work. I have a Samsung Tablet that I can do anything a Smart Phone can, when I have WiFi. Mostly I use my Laptop and Desktop. But I have no need for a Device that costs over a Thousand Dollars a year.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^But one of the true benefits of being a Boglehad is that one can buy any device they don't need and use it simply for its convenience. There is no reason to become a character mentioned on that other thread.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MrGreen

Post by MrGreen »

I do think three devices may be redundant. I have often thought about that myself, but I find that I seldom use my iPad and I recently purchased a MacBook Air (on sale) that I like very much for travel. When I was working I used my iPad a lot. I had a job where I walked around between six different buildings and the iPad is excellent for that. Since I don't do that work anymore I find I don't use the iPad much. People have different needs and sometimes things change.

I wonder if one reason you don't use the Galaxy more might be because it's an Android phone and perhaps you like Apple products more? I know I do.

You can still buy things like a Motorola flip cell phone. They are pretty cheap on ebay and other places, but I personally would have a difficult time adjusting back that.

The Motorola E (2nd generation 4G LTE) is a pretty nice Android phone for the price ($149 from Amazon, no contract). It works well with the Cricket Wireless $35/month plan.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

BahamaMan wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:I own a MacBook, an iPad and Galaxy smartphone.

thanks
I cannot justify the Cost of a 'Smart Phone' ... I am retired. I have a Flip Phone that I pay about $10 a year for (Pay as you Go). I hate talking on the phone, as it reminds me of Work. I have a Samsung Tablet that I can do anything a Smart Phone can, when I have WiFi. Mostly I use my Laptop and Desktop. But I have no need for a Device that costs over a Thousand Dollars a year.
While it does sound like you've got the best simple lo-cost solution for your lifestyle, I'll mention you don't have to spend close to $1000+/yr to get a smartphone and its features.

At Republic Wireless, $150 gets you the outstanding Moto G phone, and it only costs $10/month for cell voice service (use free wifi for internet on this plan) and $25/month if you want cell voice and cell internet.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

I have a Doro Phone Easy 618 via Consumer Cellular. Talk, text, photos. The plan with the AARP discount and with fees added no contract is about $14 a month without the text, which I don't use. I forget what the phone cost, $50 give or take.

https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/PhoneDetails/468

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

Home laptop, work laptop, smart phone, iPad Air 2, iPad mini. All get used, with the air 2 getting the most.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I've been wrestling with this same issue. I've decided to get the Microsoft Surface. Just need to decide whether to get the new one due out in a couple months, or one of the current ones.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I had FOUR devices a couple years ago, including a desktop PC.
My heavy laptop battery died.
Then similar with my tablet.
So I use my 5" Nexus 5 for this post and web surfing quite often; it's the only device I have when I'm on the road.
I should get a new tablet at some point, but I'm in no rush...
Attempted new signature...
Aesthetics

Post by Aesthetics »

Hayden wrote:I've been wrestling with this same issue. I've decided to get the Microsoft Surface. Just need to decide whether to get the new one due out in a couple months, or one of the current ones.
Once they announce the Surface Pro 4, I'm sure the Surface Pro 3's will be on sale. So if you want a 3, maybe you can wait till then.

I personally have a Surface Pro 3 with a type cover and docking station, and it is perfect. Has full capabilities as a laptop when attached to the type cover, and if I want extra ports, then I attach it to the docking station and hook it up to a monitor. If I want to use it like a tablet, just take the type cover off and you have yourself a nice big 12" tablet with a great pen. As a tablet, it is a little large so it won't be as comfortable as an iPad/Galaxy tablet, but it's good enough.
GregV

Post by GregV »

I find my 3 devices (iMac, iPad, iPhone) work together very well and each has their use. For serious document creation/editing or for activities that need a large screen, the iMac is my choice. For travel, reading books, casual browsing, email, watching media, etc the iPad is great. When I'm out and about, the iPhone is the right device for phone, text, email, navigation, keeping on track with my tasks and searching for info. Data flows seamlessly among all 3 devices. For me, while there can be overlap in capabilities and use, each has their niche and the combination works well.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Barefootgirl wrote:Can anyone recommend a simple phone or explain why I might want to keep buying smartphones when I only use talk and text?
No one can do the latter for you. That's for you to address. As with any topic if you want recommendations you need to clarify your needs/wants/priorities/budget/etc. "Simple phones" are not all the same. Help us to narrow down the options.
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

A smart phone is basically a mini computer that fits in your pocket. The biggest features that make a smartphone worthwhile are the GPS, internet browser, camera, games to kill time, and the music that it holds. Especially when you are travelling in a new area a smartphone is a great tool and toy (games). I would get rid of the iPad and keep the Macbook for serious work if you're looking to downsize your gadgetry.
In order of usefulness IMO:
1. Smartphone
2. Laptop
3. Tablet
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

mbk734 wrote:A smart phone is basically a mini computer that fits in your pocket. The biggest features that make a smartphone worthwhile are the GPS, internet browser, camera, games to kill time, and the music that it holds. Especially when you are travelling in a new area a smartphone is a great tool and toy (games). I would get rid of the iPad and keep the Macbook for serious work if you're looking to downsize your gadgetry.
1. Smartphone
2. Laptop
3. Tablet
1.) Laptop
2.) Desktop
3.) Tablet
4.) Smartphone
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Each to their own. I am with the OP, I live on my Tablet. I also use a notebook and a smart phone.

I keep my old iPhone 3GS for the small size. It is mostly for talk, occasionally need Google maps while travelling. Buzzes when I receive mail (I reply on my iPad, way better for typing). I most certainly do not want a bigger item in my pocket. Even the 6 is too big for my taste.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

If you only use your phone for talk and text, then your hunch is correct, you simply don't need a smart phone.

Tracfone triple-minutes prepaid phone: http://www.amazon.com/LG-840G-Prepaid-M ... B009LRNLW2 . Email, text, voice, camera, video, etc. No iOS or Android apps.

Obihai device: http://www.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-Phone ... B00BUV7C9A . Then you setup Google Voice for free, and have it ring both your home phone (if you have one), and your cell phone at the same time.

Total spend over 2 years is around $10/month.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I used to have smart phone (iPhone 5), tablet (iPad 2), and computer (MacBook Pro).

I bought the iPhone 6 plusand then promptly gave my iPad to my mother as my iPhone 6 plus and MacBook Pro do everything I need. The iPhone 6 plus is a perfect size for my usage.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

iPhone is the best phone we have ever used.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
kolea

Post by kolea »

Hands down I would take an iPhone over a tablet. And my phone is an old 5s so it is not that big. But I use it a lot for traveling - Google Maps works in Rome, London, Mexico, Bangkok and Cambodia, all on a device that fits in my front pocket. When I am sitting in a waiting room I read the NY Times on line. Yes it is small but it works well enough to occupy me for 10-20 minutes. I rarely use the phone but I text and email all the time on it. They are truly amazing devices, IMO.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.
tony44

Post by tony44 »

I use Boost Mobile. $35 a month for unlimited talk and text. Small, simple flip phone that takes a pretty good picture. That's it! The phone is a Kyocera. Well under $100. And it gets great reception just about anywhere I've been and I get around.
jpark1982

Post by jpark1982 »

Of all my devices, I actually use the computer the least. I use the iPhone for calls, texting, browsing while out shopping with the wife and kids, etc. I use the iPad mini to browse the Internet when I'm home. The only time I'm using my desktop computer is when I'm doing some photo editing and or need to write anything longer than a few paragraphs long such as a research paper. Otherwise I do most of my internet usage on my iPad mini while lying in bed. I had a full size iPad that I got rid of because it was inconvenient to hold while lying down (but that was before the air had come out). But the mini is so easy to hold in landscape orientation and type with at the same time.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I Use em all: :happy
1.Android Smartphone
2,Chromebook
3.Windows laptop
4.Android tablet
5.Itouch
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
herpfinance

Post by herpfinance »

The Wizard wrote:I had FOUR devices a couple years ago, including a desktop PC.
My heavy laptop battery died.
Then similar with my tablet.
So I use my 5" Nexus 5 for this post and web surfing quite often; it's the only device I have when I'm on the road.
I should get a new tablet at some point, but I'm in no rush...
+1.

I'm very happy with my Nexus 5 (2013 model). I paid about €400 for the 32GB model a year and a half ago. My only major complaint is the relatively poor battery life, but I can usually go a full day without needing a charge.

The 5X seems like a worthy spiritual successor, so I would consider that as a phone today if I were to buy one. However, not enough of a bump in specs to justify an upgrade, at least not to me.

OnePlus 2 is another very strong value option.
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham
Abe

Post by Abe »

Watty wrote: I have a flip phone that cost less than $20 and I am on a plan that costs about $7 a month for more minutes than I will ever use.
Who is you plan with for $7 a month? Thanks
Slow and steady wins the race.
rpike

Post by rpike »

Cannot speak for Watty, but the other members of my family have used or hand-me-down smartphones on pay you go plans thru Kitty Wireless (a Verizon MVNO). They turn off cellular data on their phones so data access is only via WiFi and avoid costly cellular data.

My son's plan is $80 per year at 4 cents per minute and 5 cents per text (plus 50 cents per month) on the PagePlus Standard plan thru Kitty. My wife was on the same plan but has had to renew early after 8 months or so. She just used up her PagePlus balance and switched to the 3G-only $80 per year Puppy Wireless plan thru Kitty. Her plan charges the same 4 cents per minute for talk, but texts are only 4 cents and no monthly fee which should last her longer before she needs to renew. The Web dashboard for this plan lets you can monitor your usage (and change your plan or settings yourself) and is much better than than the crude reporting on the PagePlus site.
Last edited by rpike on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Didn't read the other responses, but wouldn't it be a heck of a lot more efficient to get rid of the tablet not the phone? Tablets, at least for me, offer almost no functionality. I know that the newer generations of phones are really starting to scavenge sales of tablets.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Abe wrote:
Watty wrote: I have a flip phone that cost less than $20 and I am on a plan that costs about $7 a month for more minutes than I will ever use.
Who is you plan with for $7 a month? Thanks
Virgin Mobile but that is an old plan, I actually pay about $21 every 90 days. I don't know if you can still get something like that by calling their 800 number. Tracfone likely has similar plans.
JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO »

explain why I might want to keep buying smartphones when I only use talk and text?
The only question I have is how much do you text? I remember being a frequent texter on a flip phone and it was awful.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I don't have a smartphone, just one for talk and text. Wife has a smartphone that we can use for looking up stuff in a pinch when on the road.

I like our IPad for home use, the larger screen size is easy on the eyes.

Since I am on computers all the time at work, as many are these days, it's a blessing to be off line and to just talk with people.

And when I am on vacation, I am off the grid. It's amazing society survived when most people took non interrupted vacations twenty years ago and before that. Of course, since they weren't always accessible 100% of the time, compensation for the masses was less equitable then than today. :oops:

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrick

Post by patrick »

nothing wrong with having a few spares :)