MacBook Pro Worth the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Non7WoodUser

MacBook Pro Worth the money?

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Are MacBooks that much better than HP or Dell laptops to justify the higher price?
wilked

Re: MacBook Pro Worth the money?

Post by wilked »

This clip puts it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnGgGoemzwU

you could get a whole bunch of mums... your choice
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

All personal preference.

I hate computers and like the simplicity of a Mac. My current computer is a 2007 Macbook - the cheapest and most basic model they sold at the time - and it still works great. For what I do, which is internet use, photo editing, and photo storage, it still fulfills all my needs after having had it for 8 years. It's never gotten a virus, and I can count on one hand the number of times it's crashed requiring a reboot. I'll probably replace it once it hits the 10 year mark.
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

I switched to MacBook Pro ten years ago or so and think they are absolutely worth the price. I've never had a virus or battery problem with any of them -- also no crashes / lost data.

Of course it depends on how heavily you rely on your laptop. I use it 10+ hours per day, so, just as a person with a long commute might buy a luxury car, I choose to splurge a bit when it comes to my laptops.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

I've been using the MacBook Pro for ages, and it's a solid computer. But a computer is good for specific tasks and you haven't mentioned what industry you work in, what software you will use...

I work in the world of media so it's a go to workhorse. I've had some issues but Apple has stood by it even after warranty, replacing the logic board. There are a little of other cheaper computers of what you want is affordable.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Non7WoodUser wrote:Are MacBooks that much better than HP or Dell laptops to justify the higher price?
Worth, better, etc are always highly subjective regardless of topic. No one can tell you what's worth it to you or not. If you want feedback then you need to be very clear on your criteria, priorities, where you draw the line, etc. My MBP was justified for me or else I wouldn't have purchased it but that doesn't mean that it would be justified for you. If these were universal matters then everyone would use X and no one would use Y. Reality clearly indicates that's not the case and different solutions best suit different people.

Have you ever used one? That's really the best way to answer your question.

Apple does charge a premium but it's not as high as people seem to think. Most seem to fail to make proper comparisons when shopping. Have you determine the specs you're looking for? What's your intended usage? Have you looked into the software that you'd need to purchase?
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I agree with Takeshi. People place value in different ways on different things, so it's hard to say.

No doubt that the MacBook is overpriced when you look at just the hardware. I'm sure you can buy a roughly-equivalent Windows laptop for a lot less, and you might even be able to find one nearly as well-designed too.

But the reason I buy Macs is the operating system. I find it to be a superior user experience all around.

I have a degree in Computer Science, so it's not like I'm unable to deal with fiddly and hassle-prone computers. But I sure would prefer not to, given the choice, and I'll gladly pay extra for the privilege.

Will you feel the same way about it? Enough to justify the added expense? Probably. Lots of people do. But who knows?
Last edited by JupiterJones on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I've been an Apple die hard for 11 years. I had an iMac and am now on my second Macbook Pro. It's a late 2013. Prior to that, my computers were self-built PCs

Pros:

1. Resale value. Do you want to have current technology and upgrade every few years? Save your retail packaging and sell your Macbook Pro to get an upgrade for a net price of around $400-$500 every 3 years.

2. Reliability and support. Amex + AppleCare = 4 years of warranty.

2. Design - They generally look better to me. The trackpad is the best I've experienced.

Cons:

1. Windows has closed the software gap, particularly with the Microsoft Signature Series. I'm finding my Mac to be a lot less intuitive and user friendly than it used to be, believe it or not, and I'm tempted to switch to a Chromebook or Windows PC with the upcoming Windows 10. The iCloud is not so great, and I'm envious of Google/Android users with Google Photos, Gmail, Drive, Docs, etc. I feel like my life could be a lot simpler (and cheaper) with a Chromebook and external hard drive.

2. Apple is trying to catch up, but it's just not a fluid experience. My relatively modest photo/video library is only 60 gigs and I have to pay $3.99 a month for an iCloud plan to accommodate it. My Macbook Pro has also slowed down. The software doesn't decay like Windows, but they constantly update OS X, which runs slower as your machine gets older. iOS does the same with the iPhones. Forces us to upgrade or have a slow phone experience.

3. The old gamer in me gets frustrated at how poorly many games run compared to a windows setup. Same system specs, but an average game doesn't run nearly as well on a mac. They own the hardware and the software, they should be able to optimize it for *better* performance.
Last edited by kjvmartin on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

They are all pretty comparable given a similar feature set. Dell's and HP's aren't that much cheaper than Macs when you compare apples-to-apples hardware.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

I recently got rid of the last Windows computer in my home (it was a HP laptop running Windows 7, and I put Ubuntu on it a few weeks ago) and it was a wonderful victory :), all other computers we have are Macs. Macs are absolutely worth every penny. I would recommend 2 things :

- Shop in the Apple refurbished store. They usually have great deals. I bought a Macbook Air at a $300+ discount for my daughter very recently from the refurbished store. These computers are refurbished by Apple and come with the same warranty.
- If you don't want to spend the extra $ on a Mac, consider buying a Windows laptop and put Ubuntu on it. Your computer will be a lot zippier and immune to viruses and malware. It is also a good idea to stick to a Mac or Ubuntu when logging into financial institutions (banks and brokerage houses).
pochax

Post by pochax »

KyleAAA wrote:They are all pretty comparable given a similar feature set. Dell's and HP's aren't that much cheaper than Macs when you compare apples-to-apples hardware.
was that pun intended?!??! :D
huntertheory

Post by huntertheory »

Very much a personal preference issue, and I completely get people balking at the price of a Mac versus a PC laptop, but to me it's a no brainer.

- I repeatedly had PC laptops die after a year or two, causing (a) me to replace them and (b) lots of headache, lost data, trips to the computer store.

- I have never had any issues with my Mac laptops, never had a virus or technical glitch, and they don't crash. I repeatedly had these issues with my prior laptops and I use a PC (issued by my employer) with work and I frequently have these issues there (which reminds me why I prefer my Macs).

- I'm sure you can test these things, but my Macs are substantially faster. It loads nearly instantly -- seriously, I just turn it on and it's on; it doesn't take 5-10 minutes (what feels like 20 minutes) to load up.

- In the most subjective thing, I just enjoy working with it more than a PC to toggle programs, apps, do basic stuff like Word and Excel, some very basic video editing, etc.

- I actually find using the remote login function to access my work on my 4-5 year old MacBook Pro is faster than using my work laptop at home.

Just my personal preference. Macs are more expensive but to me well worth the trade off when you factor in (a) reliability and not needing replacements or servicing (dollar-for-dollar) and (b) time/pleasure/ease of use (psychic/cost of time), it's an easy trade. I don't expect to ever buy a PC again and I was a PC guy for 10-15 years.
junior

Post by junior »

Non7WoodUser wrote:Are MacBooks that much better than HP or Dell laptops to justify the higher price?
If you are just using your computer for basic word processing and surfing the web probably not. (Also if you are comfortable with windows there isn't much to be gained by switching)
Ged

Post by Ged »

For a contrary opinion I would say not. I was a Mac user for many years going all the way back to the Mac Plus. I eventually got tired of Apple's closed hardware (things like RAM soldered to the motherboard), lack of expandability, poor compatability with 3rd party hardware and poor software choices.

It wasn't so much the price of the hardware itself, but rather that once you had the machine trying to get it to do what you wanted was a large pain. For example look at what your tax software choices are, or what the differences between Quicken are on the two platforms. I ended up with having both Windows and Macs around. Then it dawned on my that the money I was spending on Macs was a waste and stopped buying them.

I would advise that the main thing is to not cheap out when you buy a laptop - get good hardware. Business grade machines. But get an operating system that runs the software you want to use.

It used to be that people were taught when you buy a computer the choice path should run something like:

1. Pick the application software you want to run.
2. Pick the OS that runs (1) the best.
3. Pick the hardware that runs (2) the best.

Picking the hardware first, and based on slick marketing and aesthetic design rather than what you actually need to do is to me completely backwards.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

My wife has used Macs and PC for years.

She prefers a PC - easier to use, generally faster, the fact that they are cheaper does not enter into it - she'd opt for a PC even if the price was equal. She will use a MAC if an employer prefers it (currently the case), but prefers a PC which is what she currently owns personally, having given away a nearly brand new top end MacBook Pro she ended up with when my mother died.

So, really like so often, this is not at all a cut and dried objective decision. It depends on how you personally react to the machine and what you want to do and what you value in a computer.
Last edited by Rodc on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My spouse tells me she hates her MacBook. OTOH, she won't give it up. I like her MacBook because I have never had to re-install the operating system after she glommed it up somehow. At work she has an IT team to fix her MS Windows machine every week.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

After being a diehard PC advocate, we purchased a MacBook pro just a few weeks ago.
My wife is in education, and the school gave her a MacBook Air to use during the school year.
When she had to give it back and use my 6 year old laptop or 4 year old netbook, (both with SSDs)
she would nearly give up in frustration.

Add to it that the battery life for my laptop was nearly non-existent so it always needed to be plugged in,
and it weighed 3 times a much as the Air, I knew we'd be getting a mac.
The MacBook Pro was a better choice than the Air in my opinion. They are not upgradable though.
Memory and SSD are soldered in, so make sure you have enough of each.

We do have more money now, so it was not such a strain on me to pay so much for a laptop.
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

Most of my friends who got a mac, install windows to run some applications.
For a quality hardware, a business grade PC (Thinkpad, Latitude, Elitebook class) should be comparable to macbook pro. They can last a long time, >5 years.
Comparing a macbook pro to a cheapo regular dell/hp/lenovo is not apples-to-apples.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

My HP lasted 2 years (just out of warranty) and needed the motherboard replaced.

My MB Pro is without issue after 6+ years.

To me this is kind of like asking is a Vitamix worth it over a regular blender? I used to buy a new blender every year then I bought a Vitamix to hopefully never have to buy another blender.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

It's the $1200 solution to the $300 problem.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I was a Windows and Linux zealot for years - and finally I was sick of all the time I was spending on "tech support" around the house. We went all Mac and the tech support has been virtually zero! :beer

So yes, totally worth it. I'd get the refurbs from the apple website as posted before.

For those guiding towards Ubuntu: that's fine for web browsing, but Linux is the worst platform on the planet if you want to:
- upgrade a piece of software
- print
- use mainstream software
- do multimedia

It can all be done, but you pretty much have to love tweaking your computer late at night :shock:
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

The Apple ecosystem (closed and proprietary) is very good.

The biggest problem/issue with Win based systems is that the OS needs to be designed to work with all sorts of hardware, manufacturers and versions of drivers - the Mac does not have that problem, as the number of components are limited to a certain set.

With that being said, the Mac is a wonderful machine with a great user interface that is easy to learn. Very intuitive, and for me, worth the money in performance, usability and reliability.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Having owned a long string of Windows based desktop and laptop computers I can say I'm very happy with my rMBP. I've only had it 10 months, but so far so good. I think the only change would be given my usage of the laptop I would now go with the MB Air. Lighter, longer battery, cheaper. I was thinking to install windows on it as a dual boot, but I have not. If I did that to run AutoCAD then I would probably appreciate the additional horsepower in the Pro.

P.S. - My first computer was an Apple 2. I guess I've gone full circle.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

As others have said, the answer to this question is user preference. For what it's worth, I use Windows, Mac, and Linux all very regularly. I chose Mac for my desktop at home. All things being equal, Mac hardware generally does tend to last. (Not saying other products don't, just that Mac hardware tends to be on the nicer end, from my experience.)

Below are a handful of the software reasons that also swung me in Mac direction for my home computer:

* Quick Look - hit the space bar with a file selected and get a good, useful preview of the file, whether that file is a photo or a Word doc or a song. Use this all the time. Wish Windows had this feature on my PC at the office!
* Gestures - Slide finger up or down to scroll. Two finger slide between desktops. Three finger tap brings up an interactive index of all your desktops. When Mac first introduced the Magic Mouse and these gestures, it drove me nuts when I accidentally activated them until I figured them out - then it wasn't long until I loved these features. MacBook has similar (but slightly different) gestures on its trackpad.
* Command-Space and start typing to launch any program. (Or search for a file, though I rarely use this method for that.) I've seen flavors of Linux that do close to the same thing. Windows equivalent feature seems to require you to click the Start menu before typing, unless I'm missing the keyboard shortcut.
* Trash can has secure delete option - writes over the file with 1s and 0s to make it really gone. Or you can SRM from Terminal.
* Terminal window allows many of the same commands I'm used to in Linux (I know, Windows can sort of do this with Cygwin)
* Between automatic updates from the App Store and occasional manual updates of all my open source software via MacPorts, I can make sure all apps on my computer are up to date very quickly and easily
* Great integration with my iPhone, including texting and Facetiming on my desktop as long as the phone is nearby.
* Automator app makes a lot of tasks quick and easy that otherwise would require scripting
* iMovie has helped me create the few YouTube videos I've posted with a very minimal learning curve required
* A few tricks are available out of the box on Mac to reduce PDF file size, something I deal with regularly that probably not everyone cares about. On my Windows PC at work, options are limited for this and usually the best option ends up being to use software purchased from Adobe.
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

Why would you get a MacBook Pro instead of a MacBook Air? Unless you're mobile graphics designer, you won't need the extra horsepower. The Air is both cheaper and lighter and more than powerful enough for what most people do.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Yup!!!! I'm computer illiterate. The simplicity is amazing. Get the 13" with the Retina display.
Got one for the wife also.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I really like all my Apple products....2 MBP's, 2 iPads, 2 iPhonePlus phones, AirPort Extreme router. Everything works in harmony. I also have an HP laptop and a Surface Pro.

I am waiting to see what comes about with the rumored "iPad Pro" this fall!

I am Apple products all the way and very happy I made the switch.

Don
boyler99

Post by boyler99 »

I work in the IT field fixing broken Windows-based computers all day long, every day (HP, Dell, etc.). I have always chosen to use Macs at home for myself and my entire extended family for one reason: they just work! They don't break, they don't get viruses, and they last a long time, so the money spent up front pays for itself several times over during the total ownership period. A few years ago Apple also started giving users free upgrades to their newest versions of the Mac OS operating system, so you don't even need to pay for software upgrades. Pretty slick.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Apple is making great hardware these days. Better value than PCs overall IMHO. I have two MacBook Pros myself, they are fantastic in every way.

I fix Macs for a living.
Tomorrow never knows.
Topic Author
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

What's a good solution to the limited USB ports on a Mac?
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

We just went through the debate of replacing wife's Toshiba laptop with PC vs. Mac. Wife was sick of slow starts and anti-virus software on PC. Also, wanted a 'pretty' computer, more aesthetically pleasing. She does not have need to run powerful statistical programs or PC based applications anymore.

As for MacPro over MacAir and new MacBook, we found the following:
-For similar specs (upgraded RAM, processor, SSHD) 13" MacPro retina was best value IMHO
-We valued additional inputs (HDMI, SDXC slot, two USB 3 ports) over the new MacBook universal USB-C port (need to buy adapters for this) or MacAir
-Per friends and other 'techies', projected longevity of MacPro is a few years longer than other models
-Yes, the pro is heavier and thicker, the new MacBook and MacAir (which is heavier than new MacBook) are really slim and trim, that is the biggest drawback
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

Non7WoodUser wrote:What's a good solution to the limited USB ports on a Mac?
What limited USB ports? The Macbook Air and MacBook Pro both have two. Most PC laptops (like the HP Envy) have two. If you need to plug in more than two devices at once, you need a USB hub.
Leif

Post by Leif »

SleepKing wrote:We just went through the debate of replacing wife's Toshiba laptop with PC vs. Mac. Wife was sick of slow starts and anti-virus software on PC. Also, wanted a 'pretty' computer, more aesthetically pleasing. She does not have need to run powerful statistical programs or PC based applications anymore.
For the usage you describe I think the Air which is cheaper, lighter, longer battery is better suited. I make this comment as a MB Pro owner. Have her go to the Apple store and compare the Air lower res screen vs. the Pro higher res (retina) display. For me they are very similar, but to each her own.
tfb

Post by tfb »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:It's the $1200 solution to the $300 problem.
Agree. See other threads about Toshiba Chrome Book 2.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

tfb wrote:
I disagree. I'm a PC user predominantly, but am familiar and own Apple laptops and tablets, and I don't think Apple is overpriced for what it delivers - beautiful design, a unified hardware/software experience, and premium features.

There is huge overlap in software functionality between PC and Apple, but it's simply incorrect to say a $1200 Mac laptop is the equivalent of a $300 chromebook - it's not even a close comparison, even if you can browse gmail and use google chrome perfectly well on a chromebook.

The main,more important issue is whether you are ok with entering and committing to the mac ecosystem. Once you start using icloud and itunes (especially), and buying the iphone apps, it becomes very difficult to extricate yourself or even do true cross-platform work without compromise. In contrast, going with the more open PC/Android/Google experience can be slightly clunkier but tends to work surprisingly well on Macs, especially since Google and its services works extremely well on a Mac.
babington

Post by babington »

One thing that is not considered often enough by consumers: buy used! Most of the arguments that people make against buying new cars also apply to computers. Their value drops like a rock just buy virtue of being bought in a sealed box. I bought my 2011 Macbook Air for $400 on ebay a few months ago. Yes, its riskier (and without warranty), but, as with used cars, there are easy ways to mitigate the dangers without wasting too much time (e.g., reading seller reviews). You can buy three used Macbook Pros for the price of one new one.
BogleBooger

Post by BogleBooger »

babington wrote:One thing that is not considered often enough by consumers: buy used! Most of the arguments that people make against buying new cars also apply to computers. Their value drops like a rock just buy virtue of being bought in a sealed box. I bought my 2011 Macbook Air for $400 on ebay a few months ago. Yes, its riskier (and without warranty), but, as with used cars, there are easy ways to mitigate the dangers without wasting too much time (e.g., reading seller reviews). You can buy three used Macbook Pros for the price of one new one.
^This
Microcenter usually has great prices on used/refurbished macs if you have one in your area
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I am a fan of both Apple and Windows machines and own both. I dislike soldiered RAM in either platform. Apple charges a premium for RAM and gets away with it because it the user can not do an after market upgrade. This is not true with all Apple products, iMacs still allow upgrades as do the Macpro desktops. Older non-retina Macbooks with spinning hard drives do also. Feel the same way about glued in batteries
Best Wishes, SpringMan
btenny

Post by btenny »

I just bought a new HP Septre X360 convertible computer that does all the same stuff as Mac Pro and more. It folds up like a tablet or tents as well for easy desk and lap reading. It has a touch screen and 512 GB SSD disk for $1399. A Mac Pro with less features is $1799. The Mac weighs more. The Mas has 2 USB ports; the Septre has 3 USB ports. The HP Septre was co-designed by Microsoft and HP so it really does lots of things well. It has a 9.5 hour batter life yet a I5 high performance CPU. It weighs 3 pounds, less than the Mac. You can add full featured Office software for $49 versus $140 for a MAC. Can you really afford to keep paying that premium for years as you need more software?

So maybe you should check out these new full featured higher end PCs like the HP Septre. It is really a great computer.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

lightheir wrote:
tfb wrote:
The main,more important issue is whether you are ok with entering and committing to the mac ecosystem. Once you start using icloud and itunes (especially), and buying the iphone apps, it becomes very difficult to extricate yourself or even do true cross-platform work without compromise. In contrast, going with the more open PC/Android/Google experience can be slightly clunkier but tends to work surprisingly well on Macs, especially since Google and its services works extremely well on a Mac.
I agree with your earlier points but disagree with this paragraph. I religiously buy any mp3s from Amazon, not iTunes, even though I have an account. iTunes lost my business back when they had protected music files and never got me back as a customer. No issues using Amazon mp3s in the iTunes or other applications on the Mac.

The only things I use iCloud on my computer for are to sync with my iPhone's calendar and contacts. I have every other syncing option for iCloud turned off. I use OneDrive's larger free 30 Gb to sync my photos to the cloud, and if you don't mind the interface Amazon Prime actually has a better unlimited deal for that. I also have Dropbox and Google Drive accounts with plenty of room for syncing files. No need for iCloud except for the Apple-ecosystem specific stuff, which it does a fine job with the small free storage Apple gives you. Also, I do cross-platform work all the time, and am having trouble thinking of compromises I've made that are due to using a Mac, at least with your everyday Office documents.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I've been having trouble with the price tag as well, but will probably bite the bullet as well. I have been using an iphone/ipad/itunes since 2011 and have been very, very happy. I've also started using the AppleTV and love it.

The one thing that always got me with the macbook was how little storage you actually get compared to a PC. I like to have access to all my home videos on my computer so I can play them on my TV. Up until very recently, it was not cost effective to store mass-amounts of HD Videos in the cloud (for easy access); the only option was more longer-term storage options like Amazon Glacier. I still use external hard drives, but that worries me a little bit because they seem so fickle.

Recently, I came across Amazon Cloud Drive and basically gave me the last boost I needed. I can use a long-term storage option as an emergency, I can store all video files in Amazon Cloud Drive and be able to play them on my AppleTV, and I can store local backups on the external HD. If all of those fail, then maybe I wasn't meant to hold onto the videos :)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Everyone is stating that they are so much easier - but it also depends upon what you are used to. If you are used to PCs you may find that all the extra $$ you spend for a similar Mac will be wasted money. You may in fact find the opposite of other claims:
1) You may find it harder to use. If you are used to CTR and ALT shortcuts and switch to Mac - it will take a while to know when to hit Command versus something else. The lack of right click can be frustrating at first - (requiring you to use special keys more often to get to menus, etc.).
2) You may find the Apps aren't as robust as those you are used to. If you use apps like Word and PPT these are weaker on the Mac than on Windows - they are behind in features. Many people that use Macs for business end up running Windows on them in a VM just to be able to use applications they need to use.
3) Other people claim they never lock up: Just google "Spinning wheel of death". Kind of analogous to the old blue-screen of death with Windows.
4) There is also the fallesy that they aren't prone to viruses or other threats. They are targeted less often today - but this is changing. Don't be fooled to think they can't be hacked.

It is personal preference - and I've used both on and off for years - but a lot of the folks that love Macs fail to see (or want to discuss) the downfalls (probably because they are trying to justify the higher price they paid - just admit you like the experience a bit better...).

My opinion is - they aren't worth the extra price.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

I have found them worth the extra price if I am comparing equivalent hardware. When I find dramatic price differences, it is usually because we are comparing non-equivalent products.

If someone is looking at a Netbook or minimal laptop, then the proper comparison is with a Chromebook. I also find those worthwhile, but for a different use case than the ones I use a macbook for.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

DaftInvestor wrote:Everyone is stating that they are so much easier - but it also depends upon what you are used to. If you are used to PCs you may find that all the extra $$ you spend for a similar Mac will be wasted money. You may in fact find the opposite of other claims:
1) You may find it harder to use. If you are used to CTR and ALT shortcuts and switch to Mac - it will take a while to know when to hit Command versus something else. The lack of right click can be frustrating at first - (requiring you to use special keys more often to get to menus, etc.).
2) You may find the Apps aren't as robust as those you are used to. If you use apps like Word and PPT these are weaker on the Mac than on Windows - they are behind in features. Many people that use Macs for business end up running Windows on them in a VM just to be able to use applications they need to use.
3) Other people claim they never lock up: Just google "Spinning wheel of death". Kind of analogous to the old blue-screen of death with Windows.
4) There is also the fallesy that they aren't prone to viruses or other threats. They are targeted less often today - but this is changing. Don't be fooled to think they can't be hacked.

It is personal preference - and I've used both on and off for years - but a lot of the folks that love Macs fail to see (or want to discuss) the downfalls (probably because they are trying to justify the higher price they paid - just admit you like the experience a bit better...).

My opinion is - they aren't worth the extra price.
Exactly my opinion. My wife and I both use Macs at work, and are pretty familiar with both ecosystems, but when it comes to buying our own, no way can we justify the Apple premium. And, if all you are doing is surfing the web, you can not beat a Chromebook.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

DaftInvestor wrote:1) You may find it harder to use. If you are used to CTR and ALT shortcuts and switch to Mac - it will take a while to know when to hit Command versus something else. The lack of right click can be frustrating at first - (requiring you to use special keys more often to get to menus, etc.).
Good point that Windows users may encounter a bit of a learning curve getting used to the different keyboard shortcuts on Mac.

However, you can right-click on Macs. On laptops and on desktops with the trackpad, you can two-finger click to right-click. On the Magic Mouse with desktops, you can enable right-clicking easily in the preferences so the functionality is no different than with Windows.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Ice-9 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
tfb wrote:
I agree with your earlier points but disagree with this paragraph. I religiously buy any mp3s from Amazon, not iTunes, even though I have an account. iTunes lost my business back when they had protected music files and never got me back as a customer. No issues using Amazon mp3s in the iTunes or other applications on the Mac.

The only things I use iCloud on my computer for are to sync with my iPhone's calendar and contacts. I have every other syncing option for iCloud turned off. I use OneDrive's larger free 30 Gb to sync my photos to the cloud, and if you don't mind the interface Amazon Prime actually has a better unlimited deal for that. I also have Dropbox and Google Drive accounts with plenty of room for syncing files. No need for iCloud except for the Apple-ecosystem specific stuff, which it does a fine job with the small free storage Apple gives you. Also, I do cross-platform work all the time, and am having trouble thinking of compromises I've made that are due to using a Mac, at least with your everyday Office documents.
Actually, your post makes it clear that you pretty much agree with me - you go out of your way to avoid using apple products on a Mac, so you don't get sucked into their ecosystem permanently.

Sure, it might not feel onerous to you, but you gotta admit that something's not quite right when you find yourself intentionally avoiding some of the core software functionality (itunes, icloud, etc) of apple products just so you can maintain cross-platform functionality.

If you're this committed to avoiding apple functionality, it's time to seriously consider where a PC-android system would serve you better.

(FWIW, I do the exact same thing - I run my Mac laptop as if it's a google-based PC, and buy my media from amazon. I also recently made a mildly painful switch from 4-yrs of iphone to an android phone, and all of a sudden everything syncs incredibly well between PC-phone, as opposed to constant workarounds previously where I was running iphone-PC.)
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Not sure what core functionality I'm missing out on by buying music from Amazon instead of iTunes. Works the same, even on the iTunes software.

I think I read a David Pogue article or two that there are some cool photo integration things with iCloud, but I wouldn't know what I'm missing or how it compares. OneDrive is pretty darn cool at the automatic phone photo backup task, IMO, and I don't see myself doing anything differently if my home desktop were a Windows PC.

So, what core functionality am I missing?

Edit to add: As I said before, the free 5 Gb on iCloud is wonderful for syncing contacts and calendars on iPhone, I just use other cloud service free offers for other cloud functions. I listed a bunch of reasons I chose Mac over Windows for my home desktop earlier in this thread.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

You're not missing much as you have your own good workarounds, but I guarantee that apple did not make their tightly tuned ecosystem with the idea of people intentionally avoiding itunes and icloud and iapps! That's the missing functionality I'm talking about, even if you (and I) have perfectly good workarounds.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I switched my home computer (Windows at work) to a pair of 17" Mac Book Pros bought in 2010 and 2011. Since then I've doubled the RAM to 8 gigabytes and changed the hard drives to third party SSDs. Both computers work fine despite a fair amount of abuse (several drops, son poured OJ on one requiring a keyboard replacement) and continue to handle all challenges quite well. I generally use the Google ecosystem and Amazon for online storage, since I agree with the above comments that iCloud has a ways to go (although the backup function for iOS devices is seamless). If Google docs isn't enough, I've had good luck with the Open Office platform for Microsoft files (I don't have bootcamp running on the computer).

I'll probably replace them with new computers in another couple of years, and will stick with Mac Books.
Indexed Fully!
tfb

Post by tfb »

lightheir wrote:
tfb wrote:
... ...
There is huge overlap in software functionality between PC and Apple, but it's simply incorrect to say a $1200 Mac laptop is the equivalent of a $300 chromebook - it's not even a close comparison, even if you can browse gmail and use google chrome perfectly well on a chromebook.
No one said they are equivalent. It's just when you have a $300 problem you don't need a $1200 solution. We don't know whether the OP has a $300 problem or a $1200 problem.
Harry Sit has left the forums.