MacBook Pro Worth the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Non7WoodUser

Re: MacBook Pro Worth the money?

Post by Non7WoodUser » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Update: Went with a Dell Laptop. Got 17" 1080p display, 4 USB ports, Bluetooth, 16 gigs of ram, etc. for half the price of an equivalent Mac.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:43 pm

Non7WoodUser wrote:Update: Went with a Dell Laptop. Got 17" 1080p display, 4 USB ports, Bluetooth, 16 gigs of ram, etc. for half the price of an equivalent Mac.
Post back in a couple years and let us know how it's performing :D

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:19 pm

tfb wrote:
lightheir wrote:
tfb wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:It's the $1200 solution to the $300 problem.
Agree. See other threads about Toshiba Chrome Book 2.
... ...
There is huge overlap in software functionality between PC and Apple, but it's simply incorrect to say a $1200 Mac laptop is the equivalent of a $300 chromebook - it's not even a close comparison, even if you can browse gmail and use google chrome perfectly well on a chromebook.
No one said they are equivalent. It's just when you have a $300 problem you don't need a $1200 solution. We don't know whether the OP has a $300 problem or a $1200 problem.
I hear what you're saying, but you are essentially saying they are indeed equivalent if you say that there's no added value in buying a $1200 Mac compared to a $300 Chromebook.

It's no different than paying 2x for a lexus or Infinity, when your problem of transportation can be 'solved' by just buying a $3000 well used Kia subcompact. One is clearly nicer a nicer experience, even if the Kia will get you to your destination just as safely and quickly.

And that's pretty much what the OP is asking - whether people have found the 'extras' that come with a premium Macbook Pro are worth it to them. Some will find it so, some will not. Just as some will prefer driving (excellent) Honda Civics even if they have plenty of cash to buy luxury cars.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:21 pm

lightheir wrote:
tfb wrote:
lightheir wrote:
tfb wrote:
Agree. See other threads about Toshiba Chrome Book 2.
... ...
There is huge overlap in software functionality between PC and Apple, but it's simply incorrect to say a $1200 Mac laptop is the equivalent of a $300 chromebook - it's not even a close comparison, even if you can browse gmail and use google chrome perfectly well on a chromebook.
No one said they are equivalent. It's just when you have a $300 problem you don't need a $1200 solution. We don't know whether the OP has a $300 problem or a $1200 problem.
I hear what you're saying, but you are essentially saying they are indeed equivalent if you say that there's no added value in buying a $1200 Mac compared to a $300 Chromebook.

It's no different than paying 2x for a lexus or Infinity, when your problem of transportation can be 'solved' by just buying a $3000 well used Kia subcompact. One is clearly nicer a nicer experience, even if the Kia will get you to your destination just as safely and quickly.

And that's pretty much what the OP is asking - whether people have found the 'extras' that come with a premium Macbook Pro are worth it to them. Some will find it so, some will not. Just as some will prefer driving (excellent) Honda Civics even if they have plenty of cash to buy luxury cars.
(I myself would always choose the Chromebook over the MacbookPro if it were my money to burn, but that's my personal preference and cloud-leaning habits.)

southbay

Post by southbay » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 pm

I use a Mac Mini desktop at work, and a Chromebook at home. I cannot stand windows.

I also travel with my Chromebook. It's a great travel companion.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:25 pm

I have only ever used Macs at home and have been fairly happy with them. But today the basic hardware (processor, memory hard drives) are generic to the Mac and PC worlds. If you look in the newspaper adds, you see that the cheapest Macbook Pro is something like $1200 and it has (I'm going by memory here) an i5 processor, a 13" screen, 4GB of RAM and a smallish hard drive. For half the price, you can get a PC laptop with the same processor, a larger screen, more RAM and a larger hard drive. So why get the Mac? I guess for me it comes down to familiarity, an existing software base that uses the Mac OS, not worrying much about viruses (although I do run Sophos), the apps like iMovie and - very important - easier backup. But my decision to get a MAC over a PC is not as easy to justify as time goes by. I don't like the closed hardware such that it's impossible to expand/upgrade. I also used a Windows 7 PC at work and thought it was acceptable.
Last edited by AAA on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:52 am

I switched to a Macbook Pro a few months ago, and really love it. My wife uses our old Dell, and when I have to go on to help her with something, I love my MBP even more.

IMHO, Mac's are worth it, and I can't see myself going back to a PC.

Additionally, MacBooks are comparatively priced to upper end PC's like the Dell XPS-15, so they are not over priced.

Thank you.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:51 am

Non7WoodUser wrote:Update: Went with a Dell Laptop. Got 17" 1080p display, 4 USB ports, Bluetooth, 16 gigs of ram, etc. for half the price of an equivalent Mac.
And more over there is no equivalent Mac laptop in their current lineup. Apple no longer makes 17" laptops.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Leif

Post by Leif » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:57 am

"One more thing" :wink:. Apple support is the best of all the PC manufacturers . If you are having a problem you can make an appointment at a Genius bar to get assist, or just call them. That is what your higher price is buying you. When you're buying you may not think of that, but believe me when you have a problem that can become very important.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:01 am

For people who think MacBook Pros and other computers are similarly priced, you obviously don't understand how non-Apple laptop pricing works. For an Apple, there is an MSRP, and if you're lucky you'll get $50 off at BestBuy. For PCs, there is a, say, 30% off or $400 off "sale" AT ALL TIMES, and periodically even better. If you just spend a week or two looking at deals, you can get a PC with equivalent specs to a MacBook Pro for half the price. Now, specs are not everything, and the Mac builds are better, on average, and the support and process for on-warranty repairs is painless. However, given the speed of advances in computing, I don't mind replacing my cheaper computer every 3 or 4 years, so it's not a huge deal for me. Plus, when Macs do need to be repaired off warranty, it will be much more expensive than for a PC. And the OS is purely a matter of preference and familiarity (I find the Apple OS unbearable, even after having to use it in school, and often using my girlfriend's - in fact I am typing on it right now).

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Yes. Purchased a 15" this year. By far best laptop I have ever used.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:50 pm

I have a Macbook Pro at work, a windows 7 desktop and a Windows 8 laptop at home.

The sore point with me and Mac is that they don't have a touchscreen laptop (like the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I bought). :(

Also, many of the programs I want to run do not run on Mac, or there are conversion issues.

I agree with the posters who say start with the programs you want to run, then backtrack to the hardware you need to do it. :!:

Windows 8 is terrible IMHO, but you can run it in Win7 mode.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 pm

FireProof wrote:For people who think MacBook Pros and other computers are similarly priced, you obviously don't understand how non-Apple laptop pricing works. For an Apple, there is an MSRP, and if you're lucky you'll get $50 off at BestBuy. For PCs, there is a, say, 30% off or $400 off "sale" AT ALL TIMES, and periodically even better. If you just spend a week or two looking at deals, you can get a PC with equivalent specs to a MacBook Pro for half the price. Now, specs are not everything, and the Mac builds are better, on average, and the support and process for on-warranty repairs is painless. However, given the speed of advances in computing, I don't mind replacing my cheaper computer every 3 or 4 years, so it's not a huge deal for me. Plus, when Macs do need to be repaired off warranty, it will be much more expensive than for a PC. And the OS is purely a matter of preference and familiarity (I find the Apple OS unbearable, even after having to use it in school, and often using my girlfriend's - in fact I am typing on it right now).
One of the most comparable PC's to the rMBP is the Dell XPS-15, and Best Buy has a Dell XPS-15, 16GB, 500GBSSD for $2,299.99. While the rMBP costs $2,499 and doesn't have a touch screen, it has a better battery. Not sure where you're getting half the price. To get the longer life battery in the XPS, the price jumps to $2,550. The touch screen is nice for some folks who actually need it, but I rarely used it on our XPS-15, and can't stand the finger prints on the screen.

This battle between the PC and Macbook has been going on for years. Folks who prefer PC's will always justify that PC's are less costly, and they are, but not for comparable PC's; folks who prefer the Mac will always justify the price of a Mac over a lower priced PC's because of the build quality, OS X, and the "Fantastic" Touch Pad.

Marc

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 pm

FireProof wrote:For people who think MacBook Pros and other computers are similarly priced, you obviously don't understand how non-Apple laptop pricing works. For an Apple, there is an MSRP, and if you're lucky you'll get $50 off at BestBuy. For PCs, there is a, say, 30% off or $400 off "sale" AT ALL TIMES, and periodically even better. If you just spend a week or two looking at deals, you can get a PC with equivalent specs to a MacBook Pro for half the price. Now, specs are not everything, and the Mac builds are better, on average, and the support and process for on-warranty repairs is painless. However, given the speed of advances in computing, I don't mind replacing my cheaper computer every 3 or 4 years, so it's not a huge deal for me. Plus, when Macs do need to be repaired off warranty, it will be much more expensive than for a PC. And the OS is purely a matter of preference and familiarity (I find the Apple OS unbearable, even after having to use it in school, and often using my girlfriend's - in fact I am typing on it right now).
While I agree with everything you wrote, and myself am a pretty serious pure PC/android user, the one Mac laptop I own that is now 6 years old, still feels like a "new" laptop compared to the PC laptops of superior spec I purchased the years afterwards. Yes, the mac cost more, but not a lot more, and it's a noticeably superior build elegance. And while I can't stand the closed ecosystem of itunes, I still would easily say that the Mac's unified OS and ecosystem is easier and more reliable than the PC. Windows 7 gave Macs a real run for their money, being the first (and only ) PC OS that I felt I could even bother to compare to the Mac OS, but then Win8 came out and proved yet again that Microsoft still knows how to break good things.

I feel that my <$1000 laptops are almost disposable, whereas I'd never feel that way about the Mac laptop I have, and it was literally the cheapest one you could get at the time 5 years ago. For everyday stuff like web browsing, email, movies, and music, it's clearly better than my PC laptops that have superior specs.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:34 pm

I agree with this last sentiment. Spent years and years with Compaqs, ThinkPads and finally Dell laptops before buying my first MacBook 8 years ago. The family now has 4 MacBook Pros and one Air. One son is using an HP laptop. The oldest Mac is still serviceable and looks like new while my son goes through a PC laptop every year or two. Years later I am still getting used to the Mac OS and definitely miss some of the Windows features that I used for 20+ years but I definitely don't regret transitioning to Apple products.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:48 pm

McCharley wrote: The sore point with me and Mac is that they don't have a touchscreen laptop (like the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I bought). :(
I am a Macbook user. My DH uses Windows. He has a fairly new Dell laptop. If I use his laptop, his trackpad is so crappy that, yes, I find his touchscreen necessary to get around. When I'm back onto my Mac, not a single moment I wish I could touch the screen.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Steve Jobs said: "It just works".

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

pingo

Post by pingo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I constantly use my 12" PowerBook G4 laptop which I purchased 11 years ago. Great machine. I sync it with my 10-ish year old Palm Centro "smart" phone. YMMV.

Mrs. Pingo has a 15" MacBook Pro purchased ~3 years ago.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:59 am

LoveMyDog wrote:
McCharley wrote: The sore point with me and Mac is that they don't have a touchscreen laptop (like the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I bought). :(
I am a Macbook user. My DH uses Windows. He has a fairly new Dell laptop. If I use his laptop, his trackpad is so crappy that, yes, I find his touchscreen necessary to get around. When I'm back onto my Mac, not a single moment I wish I could touch the screen.
abuss368 wrote:Steve Jobs said: "It just works".
Apple's trackpads are the best, so much better than having to reach across a keyboard to use the touch screen, plus with the many gestures you can do so much more, like not having to hit the back or forward arrows to move around in Safari; simply swipe on the trackpad. The trackpad alone is an awesome computing experience.

And yes, "it just works"

kenner

Post by kenner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:05 am

Priceless post.

Well stated.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:59 am

marc515 wrote:
LoveMyDog wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Steve Jobs said: "It just works".
Apple's trackpads are the best, so much better than having to reach across a keyboard to use the touch screen, plus with the many gestures you can do so much more, like not having to hit the back or forward arrows to move around in Safari; simply swipe on the trackpad. The trackpad alone is an awesome computing experience.

And yes, "it just works"
That quote will live on!

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 am

marc515 wrote:

And yes, "it just works"
I am quite happy with the new macbook trackpad.

I wouldn't ever get a mac notebook without the "Force Touch Trackpad". My 2012 MBP isn't nearly as useable. To me it's a real difference.

pingo

Post by pingo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:18 pm

^ Wow, that's really saying something about the new trackpad technology, given that I've always been impressed at how much more I like the responsiveness of my Apple trackpads and mouse.
Last edited by pingo on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:02 pm

I will never go back to Windows!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:04 pm

If you are on a limited budget then it is admittedly tough to justify the premium cost of a Macbook.

Based on an average user's typical IT computing tasks and usage, they can certainly purchase a non-Mac laptop for way less (50% less) than a comparable Macbook.

However if a person is not budget constrained a Macbook is a hugely better system to use and own. A Macbook is a level of magnitude better user experience in almost any typical IT user parameter - ergonomics, screen quality, maintainability, security, reliability, automated backup and restore ease, resale value, etc.

So if you have the budget for a Mac than in my opinion (35 year IT consulting career) there is no question that a Macbook is the right choice. If a person is budget constrained then they get the budget friendly PC laptop or worse yet a more limited computing tool like a chrome book. They also work assuming you are willing to deal with some additional compromises and limitations. I think chrome books and the like make little sense these days since their cost is now so close to bargain PC style laptop cost.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:49 am

marc515 wrote:
One of the most comparable PC's to the rMBP is the Dell XPS-15, and Best Buy has a Dell XPS-15, 16GB, 500GBSSD for $2,299.99. While the rMBP costs $2,499 and doesn't have a touch screen, it has a better battery. Not sure where you're getting half the price. To get the longer life battery in the XPS, the price jumps to $2,550. The touch screen is nice for some folks who actually need it, but I rarely used it on our XPS-15, and can't stand the finger prints on the screen.

This battle between the PC and Macbook has been going on for years. Folks who prefer PC's will always justify that PC's are less costly, and they are, but not for comparable PC's; folks who prefer the Mac will always justify the price of a Mac over a lower priced PC's because of the build quality, OS X, and the "Fantastic" Touch Pad.

Marc
See, for example:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7948357-hp-desk ... e-shipping

Envy 17t Laptop
i7-5500U Dual Core Processor + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB Discrete Graphics
16GB DDR3 Memory
17.3" LCD 1920x1080
512GB SSD Drive
6-cell 62WHr Lithium-ion Battery
DVDRW
Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth (upgrade to)
Windows 8.1

$1719.99 - 30% w/ coupon code FIREWORK30 - $250 Rebate = $954

That's a more powerful computer than the $2500 Macbook Pro (the video card especially). Similar options for a 15 incher, too. Obviously, it's made of cheaper materials and not as sleek, but those are the trade-offs.

Even the $660 option has more raw power for stuff like gaming, due to the video card, although a mediocre battery and only a hybrid SSD:

Envy 17t Laptop
i7-5500U Dual Core Processor + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 4GB Discrete Graphics
12GB DDR3 Memory
17.3" LCD 1920x1080
1TB Hardrive
4-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
DVDRW
WiFi N / AC + BT 4.0
Windows 7 Pro
$1199.99 - 30% w/ coupon code FIREWORK30 - $180 Rebate = $660

There are other configurations people came up with in the thread which are better, especially for the $660 one, getting a 15 incher with a better battery and 16 GB RAM, but still the top processor and graphics card.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:02 am

SpringMan wrote:
And more over there is no equivalent Mac laptop in their current lineup. Apple no longer makes 17" laptops.
Nor should they. Too big to carry around easily. And if you need a big screen while at your desk, hook up a more portable laptop to an external monitor (currently viewing this site from a 34" widescreen hooked up to my 13" rMBP).

jose

Post by jose » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:39 am

Here is my perspective:

There are 2 types of operating systems: Windows based or unix based.

Unix based systems are more reliable and "robust". They include Macs, Linux, and Chromebooks.

Macs are not "simpler", they just work better so you don't have to mess with them unless you choose to.

If you know what you are doing, you can have an OS similar to a Mac for free with Ubuntu, the most user friendly Linux distribution. But you will need to do some manual installs in the terminal and mess with the system a bit.

Macs are not really more expensive. If you want hardware of the quality of a Mac, it will be expensive, no matter the brand. A top of the line aluminum back lit keyboard ultrabook is as expensive as a Mac.

Do not confuse hardware quality with specifications. Hardware quality is the design, materials, durability, beauty, quietness, and how it feels in your hands. Go to a computer store and feel the products in your hand. In an Apple store they just drop the product in your hand and the customer just feels it, and wants it. It is good design.

One of my favorite Mac features is quietness and heat management. I just don't know how they do it. Like a tablet, it is cold, and has no fan, totally quiet.

If you spend time using a computer, $1200 is not a lot of money. It is very cheap compared to 10 or 20 years ago. They last longer too.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:29 am

FireProof wrote:
See, for example:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7948357-hp-desk ... e-shipping

Envy 17t Laptop
i7-5500U Dual Core Processor + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB Discrete Graphics
16GB DDR3 Memory
17.3" LCD 1920x1080
512GB SSD Drive
6-cell 62WHr Lithium-ion Battery
DVDRW
Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth (upgrade to)
Windows 8.1

$1719.99 - 30% w/ coupon code FIREWORK30 - $250 Rebate = $954

That's a more powerful computer than the $2500 Macbook Pro (the video card especially). Similar options for a 15 incher, too. Obviously, it's made of cheaper materials and not as sleek, but those are the trade-offs.

Even the $660 option has more raw power for stuff like gaming, due to the video card, although a mediocre battery and only a hybrid SSD:

Envy 17t Laptop
i7-5500U Dual Core Processor + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 4GB Discrete Graphics
12GB DDR3 Memory
17.3" LCD 1920x1080
1TB Hardrive
4-cell 48WHr Lithium-ion Battery
DVDRW
WiFi N / AC + BT 4.0
Windows 7 Pro
$1199.99 - 30% w/ coupon code FIREWORK30 - $180 Rebate = $660

There are other configurations people came up with in the thread which are better, especially for the $660 one, getting a 15 incher with a better battery and 16 GB RAM, but still the top processor and graphics card.
We all can agree, there are better prices to be had, and in the example you noted, while there are some better specs, the screen resolution and battery life would be deal breakers for me, but plenty fine for others.

The bottom line simply comes down to what you noted: "Obviously, it's made of cheaper materials and not as sleek, but those are the trade-offs."

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:22 am

It all comes down to an individual decision on what are you looking for, what do you want to enjoy and work with, and how much do you want to spend.

Personally, I can quite easily say that the MacBook Pro (that I am typing from now) is the best laptop I have ever used by far.

My parents recently purchased a 21" Mac and also an iPad. They mentioned it was so easy to use and more enjoyable than any other computer they ever used.

Best.