Your Top 10 Books

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
mbk734
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Your Top 10 Books

Post by mbk734 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Mine are:
1. Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
2. SteppenWolf by Herman Hesse
3. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
4. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
5. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
6. The Bogleheads Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Michael LeBouef
7. The Hobbit by Tolkien
8. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
9. Welcome to the Monkeyhouse by Kurt Vonnegut
10. Wherever you go, There you are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
I am interested to see what Bogleheads have as their favorite books.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 4538
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Peter Foley » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:33 pm

1. 1984
2. 100 Years of Solitude
3. Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
4. Azimov's Foundation trilogy
5. Lazarillo de Tormes
6. Don Quijote
7. Este Domingo (This Sunday - Donoso)
8. The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need
9. Gifts Differing (a Myers-Briggs book)
10. Learned Optimism (Martin Seligman - the basis for a lot of behavioral studies)

User avatar
pezblanco
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by pezblanco » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Peter Foley wrote:1. 1984
2. 100 Years of Solitude
3. Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
4. Azimov's Foundation trilogy
5. Lazarillo de Tormes
6. Don Quijote
7. Este Domingo (This Sunday - Donoso)
8. The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need
9. Gifts Differing (a Myers-Briggs book)
10. Learned Optimism (Martin Seligman - the basis for a lot of behavioral studies)
What??? And where is Ficciones and El Aleph??? :D

[your avatar made me do it!! :) ]

jdb
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by jdb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:46 pm

I define a favorite book as one that I have gone back and re-read a number of times simply for the pleasure of another visit. Although I have read many books which I thought were great there are far fewer than 10 books that qualify under my definition, in fact only three make my list:
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Odyssey by Homer
The History of the Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon.
Though the latter book is multi volume with 8 volumes in my set so guess that would make 10.
Edit: Make it four books, how could I forget The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by A Conan Doyle, published in 1922. Now in the process of re-reading with enjoyment of visiting old friend.
Last edited by jdb on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Raybo
Posts: 1668
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:02 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Raybo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:03 pm

The books that most affected both my knowledge of history and thinking is the 14 volume set "The Story of Civilization" by the Durants.

The first thing I did when I stopped working was to (slowly) read these 10,000 pages.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Herekittykitty
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:11 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Herekittykitty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:21 pm

One all time favorite:

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
I don't know anything.

Dimitri
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:51 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Dimitri » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:14 pm

In no particular order I would consider the following to be among my absolute favorite books:

Platform - Michel Houellebecq
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Noble House - James Clavell
Bangkok 8 - John Burdett
Confessions of a Yakuza - Junichi Saga
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

User avatar
market timer
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 am

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by market timer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:38 am

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Murakami
Glass Bead Game, Hesse
Siddhartha, Hesse
Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, Mitchell
Lost Illusions, Balzac
Journey to the End of the Night, Celine
Confederacy of Dunces, Toole
The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played, Chernev
Complexity, Waldrop
Bonfire of the Vanities, Wolfe
Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky
Lafcadio’s Adventures, Gide

red5
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by red5 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:52 am

The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Three Musketeers
Sherlock Holmes (all of them)
A Christmas Carol
Dracula
Robinson Crusoe
A Brave New World
[Insert whatever book I happen to be reading]

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:10 am

My top books are changing over the years. This is the current list.
  • 1. The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb
    2. Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
    3. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
    4. Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Roy Baumeister
    5. Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
    6. Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter
    7. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
    8. The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: How Risk Taking Transforms Us, Body and Mind by John Coates
    9. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
    10. Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long by David Rock
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:21 am

Herekittykitty wrote:One all time favorite:

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Erich Maria Remarque was very popular in Russia and I greatly enjoyed several of his novels. It appears that the Americans are well aware of All Quiet on the Western Front but not his other work.

Another powerful but virtually unknown in the U.S. author is Lion Feuchtwanger. I have six tomes of his collected works in Russian, which I am planning to reread.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 am

market timer wrote:Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Murakami
Glass Bead Game, Hesse
Siddhartha, Hesse
Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, Mitchell
Lost Illusions, Balzac
Journey to the End of the Night, Celine
Confederacy of Dunces, Toole
The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played, Chernev
Complexity, Waldrop
Bonfire of the Vanities, Wolfe
Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky
Lafcadio’s Adventures, Gide
Great list.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

JerLon
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 pm
Location: Western NY

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by JerLon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:07 am

In no specific order:

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman - Was given as a HS graduation gift, finally read when I graduated undergrad. Re-read it frequently.

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

Made in America - Sam Walton

When the Buck Stops With You: Harry S. Truman on Leadership – Alan Axelrod

How to Win Friends & Influence People – Dale Carnegie

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity –David Allen

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...And Others Don't – Jim Collins

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:13 am

JerLon wrote:Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman - Was given as a HS graduation gift, finally read when I graduated undergrad. Re-read it frequently.
This book has influenced me greatly, as well as Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson

In my teens I read a biography of Marie Curie that was very influential in shaping the rest of my life and career. I don't remember the author or the title.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
Tycoon
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Tycoon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:52 am

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself), Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss

Hop on Pop, Dr. Seuss

Christina Katerina & THE BOX, Patricia Lee Gauch

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, Pam Adams

Patrick's Dinosaurs, Carol Carrick

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe

Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

Genesis Chapter One, The Bible
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

User avatar
pezblanco
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by pezblanco » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:10 am

Tycoon wrote:One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself), Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss

Hop on Pop, Dr. Seuss

....(snip)
The Cat In The Hat didn't make the list? :happy

ResearchMed
Posts: 7198
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am

Les Miserables, especially given that I read and re-read it *before* the musical.

The candlestick/silver episode had a profound effect on me, as I first read it when I was still rather young and impressionable.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

sschullo
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Rancho Mirage, CA
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by sschullo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:21 am

mbk734 wrote:Mine are:
1. Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
2. SteppenWolf by Herman Hesse
3. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
4. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
5. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
6. The Bogleheads Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Michael LeBouef
7. The Hobbit by Tolkien
8. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
9. Welcome to the Monkeyhouse by Kurt Vonnegut
10. Wherever you go, There you are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
I am interested to see what Bogleheads have as their favorite books.
Yeah, I read 1, 2, 3, 6 (of course), and 8.
Richest Man in Babylon is one of my financial favorites. My favorite story is a little known book, Little Big Man and the children's book "Box Car Children."
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

User avatar
Tycoon
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Tycoon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:41 am

pezblanco wrote:
Tycoon wrote:One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself), Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss

Hop on Pop, Dr. Seuss

....(snip)
The Cat In The Hat didn't make the list? :happy
The Cat In The Hat is too dark. It reminds me of "Where Have You Gone, Where Have You Been?", Joyce Carol Oates :shock:
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

User avatar
mbk734
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by mbk734 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:40 pm

sschullo wrote: Yeah, I read 1, 2, 3, 6 (of course), and 8.
Richest Man in Babylon is one of my financial favorites. My favorite story is a little known book, Little Big Man and the children's book "Box Car Children."
Glad to see we are "on the same page" :) I will check those books out you mentioned.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 4538
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Peter Foley » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Pezblanco wrote:
What??? And where is Ficciones and El Aleph???
I considered listing Ficciones, but I was trying to stay away from short story collections. I took a graduate seminar on Borges and have read all his short stories and poetry. If one were to include short stories I would also list Guerra del Tiempo y Las Armas Secretas. If one were to expand into poetry, Bequer's Rimas y Leyendas would be near the top as would El Estudiante de Salamanca and El Cantar del Mio Cid. I tried to mix things up a bit, but did not want to have my Spanish literature preferences dominate the list.

mindboggling
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by mindboggling » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:32 pm

In no particular order:

Dune by Frank Herbert
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey
Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
Pale Fire by V. Nabokov
Titus Groan/Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Wolf Hall/Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel

steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

User avatar
FreeAtLast
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Oh boy, great question!.....in no particular order:
Moby Dick
Huckleberry Finn (unexpurgated version)
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, William Shirer
The Making of the Atomic Bomb, Richard Rhodes
Stonewall Jackson, James Robertson Jr.
Subtle is the Lord (Einstein scientific biography), Abraham Pais
The Feynman Lectures on Physics (Volumes I, II, and III)
To Hell and Back, Audie Murphy

Other Candidates: The Thin Red Line, James Jones; The Naked and The Dead, Norman Mailer
Uhhhhh.....How about our top 50 books?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

User avatar
pezblanco
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by pezblanco » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Peter Foley wrote:Pezblanco wrote:
What??? And where is Ficciones and El Aleph???
I considered listing Ficciones, but I was trying to stay away from short story collections. I took a graduate seminar on Borges and have read all his short stories and poetry. If one were to include short stories I would also list Guerra del Tiempo y Las Armas Secretas. If one were to expand into poetry, Bequer's Rimas y Leyendas would be near the top as would El Estudiante de Salamanca and El Cantar del Mio Cid. I tried to mix things up a bit, but did not want to have my Spanish literature preferences dominate the list.
I have always found it interesting that in the Spanish speaking world, the short story is viewed as at least as high a form of literature as is the novel ... if not greater. Ficciones is one of the great works of literature of all times .. a delicious chain of masterpieces. Cortazar's Las Armas Secretas is fantastic also ... but not as much to my taste as Borges. Borges is the writer for mathematicians and scientists I've always thought. Have you read his detective stories also? and his fantasy?

User avatar
MichaelRpdx
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:01 pm

I've chosen 10 books that changed my life. Apologies to the books and authors not mentioned here that also changed my life. And all the books I've loved to read and would happily re-read.

In roughly chronological order:

Tassajara Cooking, The Tassajara Bread Book - Edward Espe Brown
Somewhere in these books is a suggestion to learn a recipe by preparing it a number of times leaving out a different ingredient each time.
I can't find the passage anymore. These changed my approached to food as my teen years were ending.

The Daybooks of Edward Weston - Edward Weston
While flailing about with no clear direction Weston provided inspiration. I set off on a path for many terrible reasons, but I did set and pursue
a goal.

The Log from the Sea of Cortez - John Steinbeck
If only for "A Parable of Laziness" which is a great telling of Bogle's "Do just do something, stand there" dictum. Also for the exploration
and life example.

Visual Anthropology: Photography as a Research Method - John Collier
While in Art school John Collier provided a counter point to all the other lessons. He also provided the strongest "no bullshit" approach to work students brought in while still maintaining the respect for their largely illiterate efforts. This is the only book on the list where its reading was supplemented by interaction with the author.

A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway
Hunger is Good Disciple and a wonderful potato salad recipe. This is also a stand in for the rest of Hemingway that I admire.

A Pattern Language - Christopher Alexander and Sara Ishikawa
During my longest period of unemployment I found this gem. After getting a job I bought it. My views of architecture changed.

Learning Perl - Randal L. Schwartz, brian d foy, Tom Phoenix
A weekend to work through every exercise in this book changed the course of my career.

Alternative Presidents - edited by Mike Resnick
The day I met the woman who would become my wife I used a reference to this book as a conversational gambit. We continued to talk.

If On A Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Colvino
Maddening, frustrating, and not a novel as we know them. It is ultimately fulfilling.

Practical Ethics - Peter Singer
I can neither refute or live by his ethical arguments. So I remain inspired to keep trying.

#11 Because you can't just crank it up to 10.
Years of Rice and Salt - Kim Stanley Robinson
Let's explore reincarnation, history, and spirituality.

Apologies to Twain, Rickenbacher, Tolstoy, Harte, Truss, Hammett, Thompson, Kundera, Dick, Agee, Evans, Brautigan, Buck ...
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

HarrietSpy
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:59 am

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by HarrietSpy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Quincunx - Charles Palliser
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Mary, Queen of Scotland - Margaret George
Six Tales of Jazz Age and Other Stories - f. Scott Fitzgerald

A Confederacy of Dunces - j. k. Tools
Wild Swans - Jung Chang
Written on Water - Eileen Chang

The Element of Lavishness - letters between Warner and Maxwell

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barberry

Cosmic Code - Heinz Pagels

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Sorry that is 11 but they are all memorable to me for different reasons. I also enjoy the works of Alexander McCall Smith and am grateful for the children's, books The Chronicles of Narnia and Harriet the Spy for fostering a fondness for reading.

Dantes
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:38 am

Kipling, Kim (and I regularly re-read many other of his books as well)
Tolkien, Lord of the Rings
Paustovsky, Story of a Life (Soviet-era writer, also wrote fine short stories)
Greek Thought: A guide to classical knowledge (an odd one for a list like this, but it opened up a lot of trails for me to pursue. Its a perfect bedside book).
Twain, Huckleberry Finn.

Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun. ( When it first came out I was put off by its beginning, but eventually persisted and have since reread it every couple of years - maybe 8 times by now? More re-readings than Tolkien)

Grattan, Adventures with the Connaught Rangers (this is really a stand-in for a couple of dozen really fine memoirs written in later life by men who fought, mostly on the British side, in the Peninsular War 1808 until Waterloo. Many of them spent four or five years, without leave, in Spain or Portugal.)

William Roughead . Pick any of his collections of essays on crime. Twelve Scots Trials, his first collection, is as good a place to start as any; this book, like the one above, led me down a very long path.

Hammett - The Big Knockover. Or Red Harvest. Or the Glass Key...

Doyle. The White Company. (picking Sherlock Holmes would be more honest,but the White Company is also deserving.)

Dumas. The Count of Monte Cristo (quite the coincidence, I know)

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Ged » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:09 am

Wizard of Earthsea Ursula LeGuin
The Dispossessed Ursula LeGuin
Lord of the Rings JRR Tolkien
Dune Frank Herbert

Road To Reality Roger Penrose
Godel Escher Bach Douglas R. Hofstadter
The Honors Class: Hilbert's Problems and Their Solvers Ben Yandell
The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature Steven Pinker
Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein Abraham Pais
The Stranger by Albert Camus

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Ged » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 am

Tycoon wrote:
pezblanco wrote:
Tycoon wrote:One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself), Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss

Hop on Pop, Dr. Seuss

....(snip)
The Cat In The Hat didn't make the list? :happy
The Cat In The Hat is too dark. It reminds me of "Where Have You Gone, Where Have You Been?", Joyce Carol Oates :shock:
Bartholomew and the Oobleck is way darker.

pytheas2.0
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by pytheas2.0 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Wow, so many introspective thinkers on this forum! I feel my IQ just dropped a few points knowing I've attempted a few of these books but ended up saying, "I just can't get through this one."

I did love Frank Herbert's Dune series. But the one I've probabably re-read more than any was The Richest Man in Babylon. I loved it so much that when my wife was kicking back next to me I offered to read some to her, and tried to do so in some old-world, Arabic accent (I am not Arabic). That was a fail if there ever was one.

BlueNote
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by BlueNote » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Great thread. My list:

1. Jitterbug Perfume – Tom Robbins
2. Siddhartha – Herman Hesse
3. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
4. Island – Aldous Huxley
5. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy – J.R.R. Tolkien
6. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
7. A Tale Of Two Cities - Dickens
8. A Soldier Of The Great War - Mark Helprin
9. The Master And Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
10.The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger

Volkdancer
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Volkdancer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Mine is a rather eclectic list, for various reasons, that may not be obvious from the titles if one is not familiar with them, and not necessarily in the order in which they are presented, but all changed/shaped how I think, and think about the world:

The Conquest of Bread, Peter Kropotkin
La correspondence de Camille Pissarro, 5 Vol., edited by Janine Bailly-Herzberg
The Chosen, Chaim Potok
Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Discovery of the Unconscious: The History and Evolution of Dynamic Psychiatry by Henri F. Ellenberger
Huckleberry Finn, by Samuel Clemens
Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes
Light in August, by William Faulkner
L’histoire de l’antisemitism, by Bernard Lazare
Love in the Ruins, by Walker Percy

Karl V

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by bengal22 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Bible
Huckleberry Finn ...Twain
V...Pynchon
Catcher in the Rye...Salinger
Power and the Glory...Greene
Grapes of Wrath...Steinbeck
Dune Triology(first 3)....Herbert
Run Rabbit Run...Updike
Human Stain...Roth
Great Gatsby...Fitzgerald
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 4538
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Interesting thread - I'm seeing books listed that I really liked but haven't thought of in years: To Kill a Mockingbird, Dune, Catcher in the Rye, The Stranger ( which I read in French and enjoyed - I think I understood it pretty well.)

If you want to throw in a theater piece, La Vida es Sueño (Life is a Dream) is my all time favorite, followed closely by Bodas de Sangre.

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, Goodnight Moon, and Madeline are my favorite children's books.

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:59 pm

My favorites in random order.

Dune - Frank Herbert
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
The Chosen - Chaim Potok
The death of Ivan Ilyich, - L. Tolstoy
More die of Heartbreak – Saul Bellow
Gimple the Fool and other stories – Isaac Singer
The 4 Rabbit books – John Updike
The Foundation trilogy – Isaac Azimov
Catch-22 – J. Heller
Slaughterhouse Five – K. Vonnegut
The Stand – Steven King

User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1578
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by steve roy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Life On the Mississippi -- M. Twain

Philip Marlowe Mysteries -- R. Chandler

Travis McGees (in my youth) -- J. MacDonald

Wind In The Willows -- K. Grahame

Catch 22 -- J. Heller

More than ten, but oh well.

User avatar
MichaelRpdx
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by MichaelRpdx » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 pm

pytheas2.0 wrote: tried to do so in some old-world, Arabic accent (I am not Arabic). That was a fail if there ever was one.
If I want my wife to start screaming "No, Stop, No!" I just speak with any accent. :wink:
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Dantes
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Dantes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:47 pm

sschullo wrote: Yeah, I read 1, 2, 3, 6 (of course), and 8.
Richest Man in Babylon is one of my financial favorites. My favorite story is a little known book, Little Big Man and the children's book "Box Car Children."
Wow - and I thought I was the only adult in the past few decades to really like (and even re-read, but I take a lot of multi-hour bus trips) the Box Car Children. Older children's books are a guilty pleasure.

Fallible
Posts: 6496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Fallible » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Top nonfiction/fiction books read in the last five years:

Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
Your Money and Your Brain, Jason Zweig
Einstein: His Life and Universe, Walter Isaacson
Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely
John Adams, Walter McCullough
The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Age, Walter Isaacson
The Big Short, Michael Lewis
Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
and last but not least...
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, DOUGLAS ADAMS :D
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

MP173
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by MP173 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:43 am

In no particular order:

James Lee Burke - In the Eletric Mist of the Confederate Dead
Michael Connoly - the Burning Room
Lawrence Block - Hit and Run
John Feinstein - The Last Amateurs
Fred Frailey - Blue Streak Merchandise
Greg Isle - The Bone Tree (2nd in the Natchez, Ms trilogy)
Steig Klein - The Girl (fill in the blank)... loved them all.
Cormac McCarty - no country for old men
David Halberstam - The Fifties
Robert Caro - The Passage of Power

and the best book, or at least the book which has left the strongest impression...

Neil Sheehan - A Bright Shining Lie.

In addition, there are a few reference books which I use frequently including:
The Bible
The Official Guide of the Railways (usually a 1950s edition)
NHL Official Guide and Record Book (2015)...a handy reference for the Black Hawks Stanley Cup run.

Ed

amateurnovice
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story - Chuck Klosterman
Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
Generation Kill - Evan Wright
Animal Farm - George Orwell
1984 - Orwell
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig

All I can remember at the moment

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Fallible wrote:Top nonfiction/fiction books read in the last five years:

Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
Your Money and Your Brain, Jason Zweig
Einstein: His Life and Universe, Walter Isaacson
Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely
John Adams, Walter McCullough
The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Age, Walter Isaacson
The Big Short, Michael Lewis
Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
and last but not least...
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, DOUGLAS ADAMS :D
You have a good taste, Fallible,

What did you think about the Hitchhiker's Guide?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

letsgobobby
Posts: 11576
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Autobiography of Malcolm X
All the Pretty Horses - McCarthy
Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
Thinking, Fast and Slow - Kahneman

5 more I'd have to carefully consider... these 5 are easy.

vveat
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by vveat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:08 pm

I'll go with the (fiction) ones I have reread numerous times. Non-fiction is harder for such a list - I could almost do a top 10 in each area

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck
The First Man in Rome, by Colleen McCullough
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein
The Lions of Al-Rassan, by Gay Gavriel Kay
Island in the Sea of Time, by S.M. Stirling
Daughter of the Empire, by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts
Spark of Life, by Erich Maria Remarque
The Moon Valley, by Jack London

somebody mentioned Lion Feuchtwanger - I love "Foxes in the Vineyard" - about the French revolution, it was also my first introduction to Ben Franklin. I am not sure this author has been much translated in English though, I brought the book with me to the US, but I read it in my native language

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:29 pm

vveat wrote:somebody mentioned Lion Feuchtwanger - I love "Foxes in the Vineyard" - about the French revolution, it was also my first introduction to Ben Franklin. I am not sure this author has been much translated in English though, I brought the book with me to the US, but I read it in my native language
My Feuchtwanger is in Russian. I've read "Foxes in the Vineyard" years ago, I should reread it again soon.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Barefootgirl
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I need to compile my list. In the meantime, I can also put in a plug for The Boxcar Children. It was a favorite from my early childhood and from time to time, it still crosses my mind. It's part of the permanent collection I received as an award from my elementary school. I won a contest by reading every book in the school library.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Fallible
Posts: 6496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Fallible » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:54 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:Top nonfiction/fiction books read in the last five years:

Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
Your Money and Your Brain, Jason Zweig
Einstein: His Life and Universe, Walter Isaacson
Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely
John Adams, Walter McCullough
The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Age, Walter Isaacson
The Big Short, Michael Lewis
Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
and last but not least...
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, DOUGLAS ADAMS :D
You have a good taste, Fallible,

What did you think about the Hitchhiker's Guide?
Victoria
Well, one thought is that I can't stop hitchhiking to the galaxy. Earth is now too boring, especially after Douglas Adams left it.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18553
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:Top nonfiction/fiction books read in the last five years:

Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
Your Money and Your Brain, Jason Zweig
Einstein: His Life and Universe, Walter Isaacson
Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely
John Adams, Walter McCullough
The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Age, Walter Isaacson
The Big Short, Michael Lewis
Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
and last but not least...
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, DOUGLAS ADAMS :D
You have a good taste, Fallible,

What did you think about the Hitchhiker's Guide?
Victoria
Well, one thought is that I can't stop hitchhiking to the galaxy. Earth is now too boring, especially after Douglas Adams left it.
One solution is to re-read the book every year for the next 42 years, each time starting on 25 May.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Fallible
Posts: 6496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Fallible » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:35 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:Top nonfiction/fiction books read in the last five years:

Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
Your Money and Your Brain, Jason Zweig
Einstein: His Life and Universe, Walter Isaacson
Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely
John Adams, Walter McCullough
The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Age, Walter Isaacson
The Big Short, Michael Lewis
Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
and last but not least...
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, DOUGLAS ADAMS :D
You have a good taste, Fallible,

What did you think about the Hitchhiker's Guide?
Victoria
Well, one thought is that I can't stop hitchhiking to the galaxy. Earth is now too boring, especially after Douglas Adams left it.
One solution is to re-read the book every year for the next 42 years, each time starting on 25 May.
Victoria
Right, and with a towel close by. But I've probably no need to reread it - I've internalized it. For example, shortly after finishing the book, I was on a plane looking out the window and saw Arthur and Fenchurch slip off the wing and tumble into the slipstream.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Texanbybirth
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Your Top 10 Books

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:51 pm

1. The Bible, or if one argues that it's a library of books then specifically the Psalms and St Luke's Gospel
2. The Catechism of the Catholic Church by various
3. An Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
4. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
5. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
6. Paradiso (Book 3 of the Divine Comedy) by Dante

The following in no particular order:
7. A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens
8. A Christmas Carol
9. What's Wrong with the World by GK Chesterton
10. The Confessions by Augustine of Hippo

Edited to remove "The Pensees" by Pascal, in place of Augustine.

Post Reply