OPM breach and credit freeze

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SouthernCPA

Re: OPM breach and credit freeze

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm not even a federal employee (nor have I ever been) and I got notification that my information was compromised in the OPM breach. Then I remembered that I had an OPM background check done when we were granted access to records to do an audit of a federal entity.

What a PITA! I signed up for the ID Theft Monitoring provided in the letter. Haven't frozen my credit yet.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 pm

I received my second letter from OPM today about a data breach involving background investigations. The first notice I received was for the compromise of PII in OPM IT systems earlier this year. For that breach, I got a year's worth of credit monitoring and identity protection services from CSID. This second notice appears to relate solely to background investigations, which I had several years before I retired as part of a security upgrade to my clearance status. So, with this second notice, I can get 3 years of additional credit monitoring and identity protection services from ID Experts.

WAFM.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:50 pm

The IRS web site to request an IP Pin is now off line until January.

bru

Post by bru » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Blues wrote:
DJInvestor wrote:I think that freezing credit and submitting a Form 14039 will provide far more protection than anything the OPM or a commercial service can offer.
Just as a general FYI for those who are interested in availing themselves of this service...the IRS site that enables the online PIN request is down for maintenance from 11/21/15 until an undetermined date in January, 2016. So it will be impossible to request the PIN online until it is reopened.

(The letter from the IRS states, however, that the account has been "marked with an identity theft indicator" so hopefully that offers some modicum of protection in the interim.)
This is ridiculous. What type of website maintenance takes two months? Oh that's right, its the government. I'm sure it will be of little solace when millions of people again have their refunds/tax forms refused due to fraudsters and have to deal with the mess.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:26 pm

bru wrote:This is ridiculous. What type of website maintenance takes two months? Oh that's right, its the government. I'm sure it will be of little solace when millions of people again have their refunds/tax forms refused due to fraudsters and have to deal with the mess.
Many Federal web sites are maintained by contractors. If a Federal agency has to change a contractor, it must follow the RFP process and other rules mandated by the Congress. Compliance with these rules takes months, and the rules frequently constrain agencies in their ability to choose the best provider.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Gemini

Post by Gemini » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Ugh got the infamous letter as well.

Anyone care to summarize what is the recommended course of action from this long thread?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Gemini wrote:Ugh got the infamous letter as well.

Anyone care to summarize what is the recommended course of action from this long thread?
In my opinion:
1. Accept all OPM offers. If your identity is misused, you will be able to demonstrate that you took all prudent measures.
2. Do not provide information to monitoring companies beyond what they already have, e.g., do not give them your passport number.
3. Submit Form 14039 to the IRS to get a PIN for filing your returns (and preventing others from filing returns under your Social Security Number).
4. Freeze your credit at four major Credit Reporting Agencies (CRA), i.e., Equifax, Experian, Trans Union, and Innovis.
5. Freeze your information at other agencies such as ChexSystems, Clarity Service, FactorTrust, LexisNexis, and SageStream.

Read Brian Krebs on the reasoning and links.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Message deleted - off topic and adds no specific value to the thread.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:56 am

VictoriaF wrote: 1. Accept all OPM offers. If your identity is misused, you will be able to demonstrate that you took all prudent measures.
4. Freeze your credit at four major Credit Reporting Agencies (CRA), i.e., Equifax, Experian, Trans Union, and Innovis.
For those of us who froze our credit before being advised of one or more of the breaches, is there consensus on whether it makes sense to unfreeze our credit, sign up for the credit monitoring offered by OPM, and then refreeze our credit?

Blues

Post by Blues » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:54 am

FedGuy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: 1. Accept all OPM offers. If your identity is misused, you will be able to demonstrate that you took all prudent measures.
For those of us who froze our credit before being advised of one or more of the breaches, is there consensus on whether it makes sense to unfreeze our credit, sign up for the credit monitoring offered by OPM, and then refreeze our credit?
I don't think I'd be inclined to do so. I intend to leave the freezes I have in place absent compelling evidence to do otherwise.

(I haven't (yet) rec'd a letter but have resisted filling out the online form to request OPM to look into whether my data was included in the breach due to the amount of personal information I'd be supplying and putting at risk by merely doing so.)

There's additional good info on this specific topic here: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/12/opm- ... vs-freeze/
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:13 am

Blues wrote:
I don't think I'd be inclined to do so. I intend to leave the freezes I have in place absent compelling evidence to do otherwise.
This is what I decided to do also.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:40 am

Credit freeze should fall under "taken all prudent measures". If anything were to still happen, then the protection and recovery shouldn't be conditional on having signed up for the credit monitoring services offered.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:15 am

I didn't sign up with any of OPM's contractors, which would increase rather than decrease my PII "attack surface". I froze credit reports long ago, and monitor bank and investment accounts via activity alerts. I ignore opportunities to sign up for "health companion"-type e-records and social media, make all answers to security questions different and nonsensical, and also filed the IRS ID PIN request form by US Mail.
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” - George Orwell, 1984

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm

My wife signed up for the opm.myidcare.com protection today. When you log into that website, under the ID Protection menu there is a "Cyberscan" option. Here you can add personal information that they don't already have so they can track whether or not it's also being sold online. You can optionally add other email addresses, phone numbers, credit/debit cards, bank accounts, drivers licenses, passport number, and medical ID number.

She's on the fence about whether or not she should add this additional personal information. Just curious, are other Bogleheads adding the additional info in the Cyberscan section or not?

slowmoney

Post by slowmoney » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:13 pm

I was actually enjoying my Saturday morning when a T-1000 showed up and delivered my OPM letter that I have been compromised. To be honest, I have kind of "given up" being mad about it. Didn't this "malicious cyber intrusion" happen like at least 6+ months ago or maybe even longer ago? Anyway, I signed up for the services and I am implementing Victoria's suggestions.
Information is more valuable sold than used. - Fischer Black (1938-1995)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Ice-9 wrote:My wife signed up for the opm.myidcare.com protection today. When you log into that website, under the ID Protection menu there is a "Cyberscan" option. Here you can add personal information that they don't already have so they can track whether or not it's also being sold online. You can optionally add other email addresses, phone numbers, credit/debit cards, bank accounts, drivers licenses, passport number, and medical ID number.

She's on the fence about whether or not she should add this additional personal information. Just curious, are other Bogleheads adding the additional info in the Cyberscan section or not?
I was sitting on a fence until today. Today, I was procrastinating about something else and that forced me to enroll in MyIDCare. To be fair, this breach is handled by the OPM better than the first one. They have not sent an email with a link. And a sign-on process is pretty rigorous.

I decided NOT to provide any information that ID Experts have not already have. I clicked on the Tri-Bureau Credit Report and reviewed combined information from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. The information was about one month old but pretty accurate. One exception was a credit card that I closed a half-year ago, for which they had a wrong number.

Victoria

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 pm

VictoriaF wrote:...I decided NOT to provide any information that ID Experts have not already have. I clicked on the Tri-Bureau Credit Report and reviewed combined information from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. The information was about one month old but pretty accurate. One exception was a credit card that I closed a half-year ago, for which they had a wrong number.
If the credit card number is incorrect, it may belong to someone else. You should challenge the incorrect number: Reporting problems - Annual Credit Report.com.

The wiki has some background info: Credit cards
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Leif

Post by Leif » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:41 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
I decided NOT to provide any information that ID Experts have not already have. I clicked on the Tri-Bureau Credit Report and reviewed combined information from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. The information was about one month old but pretty accurate. One exception was a credit card that I closed a half-year ago, for which they had a wrong number.

Victoria
Victoria, did you freeze your credit? We discussed a while back in another thread. Since freezing I've not yet run into issues. A credit monitoring service I set up for free after the Anthem Blue Cross break in is still reporting no issues. I recently opened a savings account at Chase. I asked if they do a credit check, they told me no. My account opened with no problem.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:...I decided NOT to provide any information that ID Experts have not already have. I clicked on the Tri-Bureau Credit Report and reviewed combined information from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. The information was about one month old but pretty accurate. One exception was a credit card that I closed a half-year ago, for which they had a wrong number.
If the credit card number is incorrect, it may belong to someone else. You should challenge the incorrect number: Reporting problems - Annual Credit Report.com.

The wiki has some background info: Credit cards
All three Credit Reporting Agencies report the same wrong number for this card. All three CRAs accurately report the date I opened it and the fact that I have closed it. None of the CRAs lists this card open for me under another number. What's the risk?

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Leif wrote:Victoria, did you freeze your credit?
Not yet {blushing}.
Leif wrote:We discussed a while back in another thread. Since freezing I've not yet run into issues. A credit monitoring service I set up for free after the Anthem Blue Cross break in is still reporting no issues. I recently opened a savings account at Chase. I asked if they do a credit check, they told me no. My account opened with no problem.
Thank you, Leif. One of these days I'll freeze, too.

Victoria

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Ice-9 wrote:She's on the fence about whether or not she should add this additional personal information. Just curious, are other Bogleheads adding the additional info in the Cyberscan section or not?
Personally, I would not give them more data than they already have. They are another vector that could be hacked, now or in the future. The more data you volunteer to them, the more data hackers could get from them if they were hacked.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:09 pm

VictoriaF wrote:All three Credit Reporting Agencies report the same wrong number for this card. All three CRAs accurately report the date I opened it and the fact that I have closed it. None of the CRAs lists this card open for me under another number.
If this was an American Express card, that's how they do it. The number on your credit reports is a "Customer Service number", not the number on your card. They change the CS# every ten years or so even if your card number stays the same.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Duckie wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:All three Credit Reporting Agencies report the same wrong number for this card. All three CRAs accurately report the date I opened it and the fact that I have closed it. None of the CRAs lists this card open for me under another number.
If this was an American Express card, that's how they do it. The number on your credit reports is a "Customer Service number", not the number on your card. They change the CS# every ten years or so even if your card number stays the same.
This was a MasterCard. I have just checked my records and the number on my bills was the same as the one on the card.

Victoria

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote: All three Credit Reporting Agencies report the same wrong number for this card. All three CRAs accurately report the date I opened it and the fact that I have closed it. None of the CRAs lists this card open for me under another number. What's the risk?
I've taken to correcting all information on CRA reports after I was locked out of a couple of web sites for providing wrong answers to security questions that were based on credit reports. My answers were right, the credit reports had it wrong. Things like phone numbers, past addresses, places of employment.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:12 pm

rkhusky wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: All three Credit Reporting Agencies report the same wrong number for this card. All three CRAs accurately report the date I opened it and the fact that I have closed it. None of the CRAs lists this card open for me under another number. What's the risk?
I've taken to correcting all information on CRA reports after I was locked out of a couple of web sites for providing wrong answers to security questions that were based on credit reports. My answers were right, the credit reports had it wrong. Things like phone numbers, past addresses, places of employment.
You should also correct these things in case the CRA uses the data to merge files. I had one credit card report me as living at the bank's address, and one insurer report me as living at the address on the fax cover sheet from which I sent my application; I'd rather not be confused with other people who use the same bank or work in the same office.

I hadn't thought of the issue of security questions because the bank reporting me at its address was before the days of online applications, but this certainly could have come up.
Wiki David Grabiner

TdF fan

Post by TdF fan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:15 pm

I got my letter a couple of days ago and enrolled in myIDcare today. I added a phone number and an email address they didn't have, but that's all for now. I've been considering freezing my credit for awhile and this will push me to go ahead and just do it.

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:40 am

FedGuy wrote:

I haven't received notification from OPM, but am sure it's inevitable. Regardless, I have a credit freeze and do not intend to lift the freeze to include the free monitoring services provided by OPM. If I lift it for another reason in the next month or two, then I will add the services.

slowmoney

Post by slowmoney » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Victoria wrote:
They have not sent an email with a link. And a sign-on process is pretty rigorous.
Yes. Snail mail and then the security questions. I had forgotten some of those things they asked about in the sign up process. Actually, I think that your responses are timed. Either you will know the answer or waste a bunch of time looking it up....

It is kind of nice to see and read the response of other people in the OPM boat. Thanks for all the replies to this thread.

-Slowmoney

Salmon Maki

Post by Salmon Maki » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:18 pm

I got a letter about the breach a few days ago. When I signed up for a security freeze with Experian, my credit card was not charged even though their site says it would cost $10. Has anyone else experienced this? I was provided a PIN. I'm super paranoid about this whole ordeal and want to make sure nothing suspicious is going on.

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Well, I finally got my own "Dear John" letter... :oops: I knew it was only a matter of time.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

NorCalHiker

Post by NorCalHiker » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello all,

I finally got the letter as well. I'm the beneficiary of a parent who was a government employee! :annoyed My parent got letter a few months back.

A few questions:

1. I was about to send form 14039 to the IRS but stopped because according to some links online, the flag that would cause at the IRS would result in two negatives. One is that you might not be able to e-file again and secondly, refunds could take up to 180 days longer? I couldn't find anything about this on IRS' website and their identity theft phone line is "experiencing extremely high call volume, please call back tomorrow!" Don't care too much about the first issue, but the second issue would be pretty annoying. I'm still going to do it though. Also, is the 6-digit PIN automatically sent or do I have to request it after the IRS PIN maintenance is back online?

2. If I understand this correctly, putting a freeze on my credit would mean that I would have to pay each time to freeze my reports again after unfreezing them for credit card applications? I've been churning credit cards for miles pretty regularly over the last 6 years, so this would be quite annoying especially if I can't pinpoint which agency from which the CC company will pull the report from.

3. To get a free freeze at any of the agencies, it sounds like my state requires an official police report or DMV report, so I'm guessing the OPM breach wouldn't qualify? Or has anyone here filed a police report purely for the purpose of documenting their info being breached and getting free freezes as a result?

Thanks.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:42 am

NorCalHiker wrote: 3. To get a free freeze at any of the agencies, it sounds like my state requires an official police report or DMV report, so I'm guessing the OPM breach wouldn't qualify? Or has anyone here filed a police report purely for the purpose of documenting their info being breached and getting free freezes as a result?
I think a data breach is different than ID theft. The latter probably requires someone actually doing something with your ID, e.g. opening a credit card, filing a tax form, etc

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 am

Well, I knew from reading the news reports earlier this year that my personal info was likely compromised but I have been waiting since the news broke to find out for sure. OPM wasn't exactly a fountain of information.

Got my notice in the mail from OPM yesterday. I was beginning to hold out hope that I was wrong, but it looks like I wasn't wrong after all. I've been so very careful with my info over the years and I can't help but feel a bit down that strangers know more about my collective life events and friends than anyone else, except me. :annoyed

I think a re-read of this thread is in order before I decide to take up the credit monitoring offer or not. Sigh.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:01 pm

bru wrote:
Blues wrote:
DJInvestor wrote:I think that freezing credit and submitting a Form 14039 will provide far more protection than anything the OPM or a commercial service can offer.
Just as a general FYI for those who are interested in availing themselves of this service...the IRS site that enables the online PIN request is down for maintenance from 11/21/15 until an undetermined date in January, 2016. So it will be impossible to request the PIN online until it is reopened.

(The letter from the IRS states, however, that the account has been "marked with an identity theft indicator" so hopefully that offers some modicum of protection in the interim.)
This is ridiculous. What type of website maintenance takes two months? Oh that's right, its the government. I'm sure it will be of little solace when millions of people again have their refunds/tax forms refused due to fraudsters and have to deal with the mess.
Having worked behind the IRS curtain, I think I can shed some light on this. The IRS freezes all of their computer system hardware and software baselines from November until mid January. No changes can be made to their systems during that timeframe as they are making changes to their code to address the changes Congress has introduced to the tax code for the next tax year. The later Congress futs around the more compressed the IRS code change schedule becomes.

There is very detailed testing and eventually a roll out of the new code to each of the affected systems across the country that includes a lot of back testing to make sure its working properly at each site with all the other existing code. So I am not surprised that the PIN request on line is not working.
Last edited by Info_Hound on Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:45 pm

That's an interesting piece of IRS information. Thanks for posting it.

neuro84

Post by neuro84 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:31 pm

FedGuy wrote:
My wife and I had previously frozen our credit after she was the victim of ID theft about a year ago. I opted not to unfreeze for this.

I asked the OPM / ID Experts person over the phone whether there was any advantage to unfreezing and she said, "Not really. You just won't be eligible for our monitoring services." I'm okay with that.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Info_Hound wrote:
bru wrote:
Blues wrote:

Having worked behind the IRS curtain, I think I can shed some light on this. The IRS freezes all of their computer system hardware and software baselines from November until mid January. No changes can be made to their systems during that timeframe as they are making changes to their code to address the changes Congress has introduced to the tax code for the next tax year. The later Congress futs around the more compressed the IRS code change schedule becomes.

There is very detailed testing and eventually a roll out of the new code to each of the affected systems across the country that includes a lot of back testing to make sure its working properly at each site with all the other existing code. So I am not surprised that the PIN request on line is not working.
Brian Krebs has a new article Don’t Be a Victim of Tax Refund Fraud in ’16. It's worth reading. Tax fraud is being committed at the State level as well as the Federal level. Before blaming the IRS, consider the following:
Brian Krebs wrote:Whether or not we see an increase in tax refund fraud next year, one thing seems certain: the IRS will prosecute far fewer of the crooks involved. Congress has persistently underfunded the IRS, and budget cuts have pushed prosecutions of identity thieves to a new low.
Victoria

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm

An OPM page includes this statement:
"For those affected by the background investigation incident, you will receive a notification letter and PIN code in the mail providing details on the incident and the services available to you and your minor dependent children at no cost for three years..."
I created an account at myIDcare but cannot find a place to enter my children's social security numbers for monitoring. In the Monitored Information section, there's no orange "Add" button within the SSN section. Has anyone been able to do this?

I'm considering freezing my kids' credit reports (and creating those reports by adding them as authorized users for credit cards, if necessary?) as an alternative. Or is that just making things too complicated, and I should just monitor their (possibly non-existent) credit histories on regular intervals?

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:36 am

More good news about the IRS IP PIN program:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/03/irs ... n-feature/

:oops:

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Blues wrote:More good news about the IRS IP PIN program:

Cheers from one Krebs reader to another!

From reading the article and the comments it seems that credit freeze provides protection from this scenario.

Victoria

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:23 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Blues wrote:More good news about the IRS IP PIN program:

Cheers from one Krebs reader to another!

From reading the article and the comments it seems that credit freeze provides protection from this scenario.

Victoria
I would tend to agree though I just pretty much assume these days that nothing is safe or beyond the reach of the bad guys and try not to fixate on it too much.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:47 am

After having been signed up for the credit monitoring service since November, I just wanted to say I'm not pleased with the service provided by My ID Care.

(1) The credit report accessible on My ID Care hasn't updated since I signed up for the site six months ago. I'm not sure how keeping a static copy of my credit from November/December 2015 is supposed to help alert me to potential ID theft. The free site CreditKarma updates for two of the three bureaus weekly and seems much more effective for this purpose.

(2) I've received an alert via snail mail recently from online retailer LuckyPet that my data may have been compromised in a recent breach, but no notification has popped up on My ID Care. I realize it's only one missed notification, but I'm not feeling confident this website will alert me to future breaches.

(3) They include "Sex Offender Monitoring" as part of their service that, while interesting, I'm not sure what it has to do with helping me protect myself against potential ID theft. I've received a couple email alerts from My ID Care about this, and when I log in, it appears the reason for each alert is that a registered sex offender had moved to a home a couple of miles away from my address. While even a couple of miles isn't comforting, I live in a pretty dense area, and it seems it would simply be expected to have at least a few in that range. Unless I'm missing it, I see no way to adjust the map distance from my home that would trigger future email alerts regarding sex offenders.

Curious if other Bogleheads who have signed up for the service have opinions. I'm thankful for the advice on this forum to freeze credit, which I believe to be much more helpful in trying to protect my ID than this service.

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed May 25, 2016 7:55 am

Like you, the only alert I've received from them thus far was in regard to a sex offender somewhere in the general vicinity.

Also, like you, I believe that freezing my credit was the best option.

And so it goes... (To throw in a little nod to Vonnegut.)

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Wed May 25, 2016 8:00 am

Blues wrote:And so it goes... (To throw in a little nod to Vonnegut.)
Heh, my response was going to be "no damn cat, and no damn cradle" -- which was initially in response to the avatar, but actually fits quite nicely with the lies about identity protection that we tell ourselves (or that My ID Care tells us) so we feel better about it.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed May 25, 2016 9:32 am

Ice-9,

If your credit is already frozen, there is nothing a credit monitoring company can monitor except for non-credit related items such as sex offenders in your neighborhood. That's my understanding.

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 am

HueyLD wrote:Ice-9,

If your credit is already frozen, there is nothing a credit monitoring company can monitor except for non-credit related items such as sex offenders in your neighborhood. That's my understanding.
I believe one had the opportunity to temporarily suspend the freeze to allow them access after which point you could reinstate the freeze but my recollection may be faulty on this. (I personally opted not to temporarily suspend the freeze and requested that they monitor what they could with that limitation in place.)

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:49 am

HueyLD wrote:Ice-9,

Per the instructions in the Krebs article referenced earlier in this post, I actually signed up for My ID Care first, and took care of the credit freeze maybe a week later. As I mentioned above, my credit report updates weekly on CreditKarma despite the freeze, so I was surprised that it's several months old on My ID Care.

I enjoyed the Vonnegut references in Blues' and aaronb's posts. :sharebeer