Dress Shirts: Off The Rack + Tailored Or Made to Measure

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
roninmedia

Dress Shirts: Off The Rack + Tailored Or Made to Measure

Post by roninmedia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 pm

I work as a pharmacist in an office setting where the dress code is business casual. I have not had to wear a suit or tie at work. But I recently ran into an issue as I was purchasing a dress shirt to wear along with a suit for my sister's wedding.

I can't seem to find any dress shirts that fit me off the rack. I need a shirt to accommodate what is a large neck but when this occurs, the dress shirt is huge around my waist.

Collar: 17
Sleeves: 32/33
Chest: 40
Waist: 31

What do Bogleheads recommend for those who don't fit well into dress shirts off the rack? I see the forum posting for Charles Tywitt and their "super slim" that has a 17" neck comes with a 47.25" chest and a 44.25" waist.
Last edited by roninmedia on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IndexBeliever

Re: Dress Shirts: Off The Rack + Tailored Or Made to Measure

Post by IndexBeliever » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Have you tried on a "slim fit" shirt? These are great for all the excess shirtage around the waist.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am

Yes, pay close attention to the cut. The "regular" or "classic" shirts tend to be tents. The "fitted" are a hipster's dream shirt. Not sure how well-fed, healthy men are supposed to fit in those. Anyway, these are the two most popular cuts on the shelf.

The "slim fit" is in-between "classic" and "fitted". It is very hard to find and also varies in cut by the brand. However, this is the cut most healthy men should be wearing.

17 32/33 is also very hard to find.

Since you are looking for unicorn shirts, I would start by mail-ordering a few brands that have free returns. If you find one that's close, buy a few and have them tailored. The closer the shirt starts to fitting, the better the tailoring will go.

(For reference, I'm also a difficult 16 34/35 42 34, but your sizes make me feel like my grass is pretty green!)
Last edited by nanoanalyzer on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 am

I purchase my shirts at Jos A. Bank when they are on sale (i.e. 3 for $99). They are high quality and they can alter for this exact problem.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:48 am

Just to be clear, are you saying "off the rack" as a reference to actual store shopping, or have you looked online? The real "menswear" stores typically have much, much more online than they carry at stores. For example, looking at Jos A. Bank's slim fit line, it appears that they offer a 17/33. Their slim fit is pretty good, too: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Su ... 50_9301501

Best of luck. As others have said, I'm a somewhat difficult size and pretty slender, but it sounds like you've got it tough!

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 am

I puchase shirts at Sams or Walmart,,,,if they don't work out return them :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 am

It's impossible for me to find a well-fitting shirt off the rack. I'm a big fan of made to measure shirts.

You can check out Modern Tailor and their $20-25 trial shirts. http://www.moderntailor.com/trialshirts

My personal favorite is from Black Lapel. Their shirts are more expensive at $99 but I only wear them at formal occasions.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Your best option would almost assuredly be a tailored shirt, I wish I could afford them. I as well have a very difficult finding an off-the-rack shirt that fits. I usually end up going with a 15.5 collar size and extra (or ultra) slim fit. My neck is 17 and my chest is 44+, but with a 31" waist. I simply never button the top button and hope the sleeves are long enough (I have found two particular brands where they are). Clothes are made for the common man, it is unfortunately not common to be muscular or in-shape.

jimbowman

Post by jimbowman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:02 pm

I buy all my dress shirts from Jesse and Victor at Rajawongse Clothier in Bangkok. My father has got many suits from them as well (he was on business there and got them done in person). You just send them your measurements and you get back a second to none quality Egyptian cotton, tailored dress shirt. For $40 USD and $400 for a suit it’s a steal. They have been in business for almost 40 years and have tailored suits for world leaders and elites of the world. Can’t recommend them enough.

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

Reviews if you are interested:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... ml#REVIEWS
Last edited by jimbowman on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:04 pm

TSR wrote: For example, looking at Jos A. Bank's slim fit line, it appears that they offer a 17/33. Their slim fit is pretty good, too: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Su ... 50_9301501
With a large neck relative to the other dimensions, I would avoid a wider spread collar...
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

My size is 17 34 and I get Brooks Brothers slim fit- apparently now called Regent fit for about $55 each during sales. One begins this weekend.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:11 pm

I have the same problem with a big neck size seeming to create the impression you need a tent for a shirt.

I've gotten the athletic or slim fit dress shirts from JC Penneys, but I have moved into a higher position for which
higher-end shirts are expected. For these, I have been going to Brooks Brothers.
The Brooks Brothers seem to have better material.
The shirts are not cheap (in the $75 to $95 range) but are good quality.

I'm wearing a 17 1/2 inch neck with 34 inch sleeves in a slim fit with a point collar.
This fits and feels as good as any shirt I have ever had.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Wellfleet wrote:My size is 17 34 and I get Brooks Brothers slim fit- apparently now called Regent fit for about $55 each during sales. One begins this weekend.
2 guys in a row posting about BB slim fit, I gotta try these

I'm in the 18"+ neck and chest club also, I buy slim fit cuts from places like combatgent.com and others, and if the arms or sides are too baggy, I have a local Italian tailor that can fix it nicely for $15. Nothing beats a good tailor, can fix any shirt into a slim fit custom one easily. Same for suits, pants, etc. I am long and lanky but lift heavy weight, so almost always have to get something tailored.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:36 pm

I have a big neck and short arms so it is nearly impossible for me to find my size at a store. If by some miracle I find my size, it still fits like a parachute. I never really considered this to be a major issue since I only wore a dress shirt to weddings and funerals and I just kept my jacket on.

A few years ago my best friend got married and gave all of the groomsmen a custom tailored shirt as a gift. It was awesome. I didn't know that shirts could fit like that. Since then I've gotten a few more. Now I dress better when I go out and I also feel more confident when I do.

In short, if you aren't satisfied with an off-the-shelf shirt, I urge you to try a custom one. They aren't cheap, but every grown man should have at least a couple of nice shirts that fit.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Luke Duke wrote:I have a big neck and short arms so it is nearly impossible for me to find my size at a store. If by some miracle I find my size, it still fits like a parachute. I never really considered this to be a major issue since I only wore a dress shirt to weddings and funerals and I just kept my jacket on.

A few years ago my best friend got married and gave all of the groomsmen a custom tailored shirt as a gift. It was awesome. I didn't know that shirts could fit like that. Since then I've gotten a few more. Now I dress better when I go out and I also feel more confident when I do.

In short, if you aren't satisfied with an off-the-shelf shirt, I urge you to try a custom one. They aren't cheap, but every grown man should have at least a couple of nice shirts that fit.
Where did you get your custom shirts?

jodydavis

Post by jodydavis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Fit makes a huge difference. A number of internet companies offer custom-fit shirts for pretty reasonable prices. Not anything close to a true made-to-measure, but a lot cheaper. I've been pretty happy with shirts from Indochino. Here's an old-ish review of some of these sites:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/shop ... llars.html