Chromebooks- What is the lure?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Chromebooks- What is the lure?

Post by protagonist »

The best rated Chromebook these days seems to be the Toshiba Chromebook 2 which sells for around $300.

People both here and online seem to love Chromebooks. I never owned or used one.

Those of you who do own them....what is the lure?

They seem to have so many limitations- local storage limitations, limitations on apps and software, limitations on what can be done offline, limitations on the type of printer, limited memory, lack of power (unless you buy the $1000 Pixel), etc.

Given that one can buy a fully functional Windows ultrabook, with much more space and power, expansion capability etc. that can run any software and at least a similar if not more powerful processor for not a lot more money (or sometimes even a similar price), why do you love your Chromebook?

Is it a second computer, or is it your primary computer?

Thanks.
pochax

Re: Chromebooks- What is the lure?

Post by pochax »

For me, chromebooks opened me up to living in the cloud. i can store my photos, files, etc. in the cloud. it makes the device pretty much a commodity. as long as the interface hardware (display, keyboard, trackpad) is easy on the eyes and hands, that's all you need.

the special things about chromebooks/chrome OS is that it is so CPU-light that it is practically instant boot up (<7-9 secs), practically virus-free, and automatically updates every 6 weeks.

it is not my only computer so in that sense it is a secondary computer....but i use it more than my "primary" windows 7 computer which takes a while to boot up, does not do updates as frequently, requires antivirus/malware software (which also needs to update itself), and has slowed down over the years.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

If I wasn't so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, I would be on a Chromebook.

It's a very easy and efficient system, especially now that Google Photos is "free" and unlimited for all of your photos and videos.

I would still save a hard copy backup of my own, perhaps an SD card or external hard drive.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Light, fast, and cheap.

But I don't think of it as a computer. I think of it as a browser. Anything I can do in Chrome, I can do on a Chromebook.

For web-base productivity apps, I much prefer the online versions of Office. Even the free versions you can use by signing up for an Outlook.com email account. The Google apps are getting better, but when I go to Excel Online, I feel like I'm home. :happy
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

pochax wrote:For me, chromebooks opened me up to living in the cloud. i can store my photos, files, etc. in the cloud. it makes the device pretty much a commodity. as long as the interface hardware (display, keyboard, trackpad) is easy on the eyes and hands, that's all you need.

the special things about chromebooks/chrome OS is that it is so CPU-light that it is practically instant boot up (<7-9 secs), practically virus-free, and automatically updates every 6 weeks.

it is not my only computer so in that sense it is a secondary computer....but i use it more than my "primary" windows 7 computer which takes a while to boot up, does not do updates as frequently, requires antivirus/malware software (which also needs to update itself), and has slowed down over the years.
1. Living in the cloud: Is this positive? Some seem to think so- I haven't tried- I find it scary but perhaps I should get my feet wet. Anyway, that can be done from a Windows machine as well, no? The difference is that you are not FORCED to spend all your computing time in the cloud with Windows. So on the surface I don't see that as an advantage, unless I am missing something.

2. CPU-light: this is a positive. But any contemporary budget laptop with a SSD should boot up in seconds as well, no? The highest rated 250 Gb SSDs cost under $100 retail on Amazon. A 500 Gb equivalent costs about $150-200. And that is after-market. Chromebooks typically have 16, or maybe 32 Gb local memory....that is less than today's smartphone standards.

3. Virus-free: This may be a genuine plus, assuming you trust Google Drive with all your sensitive stuff.

4. Automatic updates: I think Windows does this too. Granted at some point they withdraw support, but by then any contemporary machine will probably be either broken or obsolete. And what will Google do with your free 100 Gb of files on Drive after 2017? Maybe charge you a monthly fee to keep them, like your cell plan charges?

5. "Think of it as a browser". Yes, but a Windows machine for similar price or not much more is also a browser....in fact any browser you want....and ALSO a full computer.

I'm playing devil's advocate, not arguing with you. I never owned a Chromebook, but I am considering getting one based on the raves they get. I want to love the Chromebook idea. I am just trying to understand why, and I am having a hard time doing so. The minuses seem (at least superficially) to grossly outweigh the pluses. In certain ways even my phone seems like a more powerful computing device to me, since it has access to all of Android's apps, voice recognition, I'm paying for a data plan anyway, and 64 gb onboard.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I gave one to my wife for Christmas to replace her dead laptop. Best gift I ever gave myself--and she loves it, too!

She was very rough (IMO) on her laptop and really isn't interested in educating herself with technological things. As a result, I was a busy troubleshooter.

The Chromebook is very low maintenance. She can leave it in the "on" position when she falls asleep with it in her lap or places it on the carpet, bed, couch, etc without turning it off and has no concerns of it over-heating. She no longer has to ask me to "fix" anything at all. I do admit I went through a bit of a learning curve to get our wireless printer to work with it and to teach her how to access photos, documents, etc in the cloud. It is terrific for browsing and streaming, is quite lightweight, has great battery life, and is nearly as portable as a tablet.

It isn't quite completely bulletproof or disposable. But it's pretty darned close.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

So doom, are you saying it runs Chrome significantly better than a contemporary laptop would with the same internet plan?
If so, how so?
Because if so that would be a definite selling point, seeing that I, like most of us I suppose, spend the bulk of my computer time on my browser anyway.
(By the way, I never quite got the lure of tablets over ultrabooks for the same reasons. I have a 10' Nook HD Plus that I rarely ever use other than perhaps when I am on an airplane, in which case for watching movies it has a slight advantage over my ultrabook for convenience.)

Also my printer is not wireless, so if I wanted to print I would have to replace it, and it is a perfectly good printer.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

protagonist wrote: 5. "Think of it as a browser". Yes, but a Windows machine for similar price or not much more is also a browser....in fact any browser you want....and ALSO a full computer.
Any Windows laptop that costs $300 is going to be slow, heavy, full of bloatware, and will run hot.

Edited to add: I much prefer a Chromebook over a tablet. On a Chromebook, I can get real work done. A keyboard is essential for me.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

CFM300 wrote:
protagonist wrote: 5. "Think of it as a browser". Yes, but a Windows machine for similar price or not much more is also a browser....in fact any browser you want....and ALSO a full computer.
Any Windows laptop that costs $300 is going to be slow, heavy, full of bloatware, and will run hot.
Probably. But not so for a few hundred more bucks, and you get so much more. (The latest stuff I read is that Microsoft is planning to release (or collaborate with others to release) light and relatively powerful Windows 10 machines with similar processors to those used in Chromebooks to compete with Google in this market, starting around $150:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleath ... 0-laptops/

Plus bloatware can usually be removed.

OK, so maybe the answer is a better computer PLUS a Chromebook. But if you have a fast, cool, lightweight ultrabook that does it all, why be burdened with a second machine?
JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO »

I have one as my secondary computer because I like to work on the train, but don't want to tote around my Macbook Air in case it gets lost/stolen.

That being said, I got mine less than 6 months ago, have barely used it, and already it's completely dead.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

protagonist wrote:So doom, are you saying it runs Chrome significantly better than a contemporary laptop would with the same internet plan?
If so, how so?
Because if so that would be a definite selling point, seeing that I, like most of us I suppose, spend the bulk of our computer time on our browser anyway.
I haven't compared them, so I don't know. I can't imagine that it would perform better. I seldom touch her Chromebook, but my impression from the little experience I have with it, is that it runs quite well on our home network. Speedtest.net results are more than satisfactory. What I do know is that she makes no complaints about the Chromebook's speed, ability to access sites, stream, or run her installed apps. It meets my wife's needs as well as her HP laptop did--and with fewer problems and much less frustration.

Additionally, it relieves me of the stress (which she didn't share) of placing the machine in positions where it is likely to overheat. That, in turn, relieves me of the burden of worrying about having to replace it pre-maturely due to her recalcitrant habits.

Chromebooks undoubtedly don't fit everyone's needs, but this one has made us both happy even though I rarely touch it. There is a lot of value in that to me.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Chromebooks will get squeezed out as laptops and pads get smarter faster and less expensive. In fact desktops and laptops will also be obsolete. The endpoint of current PC technology is ultimately going to be a largish phone that can function as a pad, tablet and desktop - wirelessly connecting to displays and keyboards at home or in cars to be any computing device you need it to be and also just a phone when you need just that.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

protagonist wrote:if you have a fast, cool, lightweight ultrabook that does it all, why be burdened with a second machine?
Right. I have one of those fast, cool, lightweight ultrabooks. It runs Windows-based Excel and I couldn't do my job without it. And it cost me about $1,400.

If you need something more than a browser, a Chromebook isn't for you.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

CFM300 wrote:

Edited to add: I much prefer a Chromebook over a tablet. On a Chromebook, I can get real work done. A keyboard is essential for me.
I don't know about that. I bought a Toshiba Satellite 14 months ago, $249, and it honestly still works like it did when I took it out of the box. I worried about exactly the things you mentioned when I bought it, but no worries so far.

Granted, I download next to nothing and use cloud storage, but it has genuinely worked above expectation so far.
jtdavid

Post by jtdavid »

I have the $199 Acer. It is great. My wife kept on stealing it so I bought her one too. For casual computing it's all a lot of people need. Not having to deal with Windows hassles and annoyances is a big benefit. The chrome browser on windows is so much cleaner and better designed than Internet Explorer. Chromebook takes this same simplicity to an operating system format.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I have a Samsung Chromebook that I take with me when traveling. It's perfect for that: small and light and if I lose it somehow it's no great loss. Other than that I don't use it much. I don't like the screen and I have a better computer at home.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

donaldfair71 wrote:I bought a Toshiba Satellite 14 months ago, $249, and it honestly still works like it did when I took it out of the box. I worried about exactly the things you mentioned when I bought it, but no worries so far. Granted, I download next to nothing and use cloud storage, but it has genuinely worked above expectation so far.
Good to hear. Maybe I'm wrong.

My patience for dealing with consumer-level Windows machines expired a few years ago. Would be glad to learn that things have changed.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

CFM300 wrote:
donaldfair71 wrote:I bought a Toshiba Satellite 14 months ago, $249, and it honestly still works like it did when I took it out of the box. I worried about exactly the things you mentioned when I bought it, but no worries so far. Granted, I download next to nothing and use cloud storage, but it has genuinely worked above expectation so far.
Good to hear. Maybe I'm wrong.

My patience for dealing with consumer-level Windows machines expired a few years ago. Would be glad to learn that things have changed.
It's funny, because I see it both sides. I bought this computer, hoped to get 3-4 years out of it, but I have been very pleasantly surprised. My sister bought a slightly smaller (Processor/storage) ASUS around same time, does MUCH less work on it than I do, and she actually just gave it to me free 2 months ago because she is so fed up with it. It does exactly what some people describe in a cheap windows PC. It's clunky, never boots quickly at all, and is a PAIN. I was gonna use it as a backup, but even I feel ripped off and I got it for free!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

CFM300 wrote:
protagonist wrote:if you have a fast, cool, lightweight ultrabook that does it all, why be burdened with a second machine?
Right. I have one of those fast, cool, lightweight ultrabooks. It runs Windows-based Excel and I couldn't do my job without it. And it cost me about $1,400.

If you need something more than a browser, a Chromebook isn't for you.
Actually it does a bit more than browsing. You can do offline document editing and skype for instance. Is that limiting? Maybe. But it is also all the apps that my mom and dad have used for the past 10 years:) The big advantage is that it is a lot easier to maintain and you don't have to worry about backs up and the like (all in the cloud for you).

Chromebooks are great for a (growing) subset of the population. You might not be in that subset.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

I think most consumer-level Windows machines run better after a clean install of the OS. Where did you buy your Toshiba? Was it loaded with garbage? If you want to try to heal the ASUS, start with a clean Windows installation.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Chromebooks are nice because they are simple and you pretty much can't screw them up. You don't have to back up your data since it's all in the cloud. You can't get malware or viruses. If you break or lose your Chromebook (or just get a new one), you can just log into a new one and all your stuff is there and everything is configured the way you like it. You don't have to reinstall the OS every few years to keep it from slowing down. Etc.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

The overall simplicity is also appealing. I got one to take notes in a class because it seemed ideal for that, especially since I already used a lot of Google services.

It is very low maintenance. It starts up very fast and connects to WiFi painlessly. I adjust the brightness and turn it on and off and charge the battery and that's it. Software updates automatically, everything is saved to the cloud and accessible from any computer.

I'm not the only one who likes it. People are often impressed and curious enough to want to try it out and are shocked when I tell them how little it cost me. (I have a 2012 Samsung.)

It has also been useful to me used alongside a company computer to keep personal stuff off the company computer and company VPN.

One of the most important aspects for many people has been the low cost.

Would I want it as my only computer? No. But it is a great second, portable netbook for me.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

CFM300 wrote:I think most consumer-level Windows machines run better after a clean install of the OS. Where did you buy your Toshiba? Was it loaded with garbage? If you want to try to heal the ASUS, start with a clean Windows installation.
I bought the Toshiba at Best Buy.

I reset the ASUS, but I did not do a Windows Installation. Without the software, how would I go about doing such a thing?
joebh

Post by joebh »

protagonist wrote: Given that one can buy a fully functional Windows ultrabook, with much more space and power, expansion capability etc. that can run any software and at least a similar if not more powerful processor for not a lot more money (or sometimes even a similar price), why do you love your Chromebook?

Is it a second computer, or is it your primary computer?
My wife used to have a small laptop with Windows. I was the "local IT guy" for her computer. Anytime anything went wrong, I had to fix it. Any time Windows needed to be updated, I had to handle it. Anytime the virus tool needed attention, I had to do it. While she seemed to like it, I hated it - underpowered, small screen, slow.

She only used it for web access. She had no need for any local storage, nor for any more power, and she never printed anything.

When her small laptop died, I got her an HP Chromebook.
She loves the bigger, far more crisp screen, and the improved speed. It's light, has great battery life, connects with our bluetooth speaker. It does everything she needs it to do, and does it well.
I love that the Chromebook (in the spirit of Bogelheads) is pretty much a "set it and forget it" system. I almost never have to do anything to it.

My computer is a full Windows computer. I have a completely different set of needs for my computer.
But her computer of choice now is the Chromebook.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Simplicity. Speed. Quiet...and freedom from incessant (and often conflicting) operating system and security updates.
(And then there's the low price as an added bonus.)

I was very skeptical about replacing my older XP system with Chromebook but I have come to love it. About the only thing I use my XP system for these days is the occasional print job and to run the "Bond Wizard" once a month to update the value of I-bonds for my record keeping.

Honestly, if I ever get a "wireless" printer to replace my current (wonderful) Brother laser printer and hook it up to work with Chromebook, I don't think I'd ever buy another Windows or Mac system. That said, everyone's needs are different so YMMV.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

My wife and I have a Chromebook HP 14 that was originally purchased as a secondary unit, but which we now use as our primary unit.

We are NOT sophisticated users with a plethora of tech needs. That said, we've come to love our Chromebook----for our needs----it is simple, cheap, reliable and "hassle" free.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Hulu

Post by Hulu »

Has anyone tried remote desktop on their Chromebook? I'm wondering if you can harness your work's processing power while having all the perks of a Chromebook. That would be fantastic. I have Citrix Remote Desktop.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

This conversation has me interested is getting one for traveling. Here is one I found on Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11-6-c ... Id=8610161 It seems so cheap, I am wondering if it is worth buying? Thanks.
Best Wishes, | Joe
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I have been using a Chromebook (HP Chromebook 14) as my primary home computer now for a year and I love it. I don't use Microsoft Windows anymore unless I have to, like at work. No viruses. No constant updates of various programs like Adobe or Flash or Virus checkers or Windows or any number of other programs that used to constantly pop up. The only thing that needs to be updated with a Chromebook is the Chrome OS which is updated about once a week and it only takes a minute. Literally. No blue screen of death. No learning a new way of doing things with every new version of the OS (think Windows 8). No waiting several minutes for the computer to boot up, my Chromebook boots up from being completely off in about 10 seconds, and from sleep mode in less than 5 seconds. No loss of data if the hard drive fails because everything is kept online. No more hot lap from the heat generated by the computer because my Chromebook is fanless and generates much less heat, it is almost cool to the touch after hours of use, and the battery life is also much better as a result, I can routinely use the Chromebook for an entire day and sometimes part of the next day without worrying about the battery. Also, I can log out and other members of the household can log in and all of their apps and preferences and files and bookmarks are instantly available as if it were their machine.

It just works. Period. With almost no maintenance or hassle. I would not use a Windows computer now if you gave it to me for free.
Last edited by mptfan on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

For me the draw is cheap and simple ($199 Acer). The Windows machine is still my primary machine, but the Chromebook does what I bought it for... surfing the Internet, Email, and streaming live sports and videos to my HD TV when the wife is hogging the Win machine. I don't have to worry about anti-virus software or getting viruses by accidentially clicking on a bad link. And the Google software updates take only a few seconds to process, not a half hour or more like the mass Windows updates in the middle of each month. I'm not a big user of the cloud because I expect eventually after people develop a dependency on it the IT companies will start charging for the storage space they currently give you free. But I do use it for temporary files as an easy way to pass information between the Chromebook and Windows machine.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

How is Chromebook as a pad substitute?

ie for reading magazine subscriptions, kindle books etc?

It is workable for that?

Also for watching streaming video, say?
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Valuethinker wrote:How is Chromebook as a pad substitute?

It is workable for that?

A Chromebook does those things as well as any other notebook. You would want to make sure you get one with a great display for media consumption. The orientation of the screen will always be landscape rather than portrait, while tablets can go either way.
mrbry

Post by mrbry »

Sort of related, but I got my parents two Chromeboxes (Chrome based OS in an apple mini form factor). My primary reason was to minimize the amount of tech support I'd have to provide them going forward and be reasonably certain no virus/malware stuff was on their computer. I'm pretty sure you all can appreciate how easy it is to get some virus/malware on a standard windows/mac based computer.

Most of the stuff my parents do day to day is through a browser anyways. There is a spare windows desktop still for anything that can't be done in Chrome.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Pajamas wrote:

It is workable for that?

A Chromebook does those things as well as any other notebook. You would want to make sure you get one with a great display for media consumption. The orientation of the screen will always be landscape rather than portrait, while tablets can go either way.
Thank you very much.
tractorguy

Post by tractorguy »

Counting my smart phone, we've got 5 computers in the house that are used by 2 people. One of them is a HP 14" chromebook that I bought 3 months ago to take on a 4 week overseas trip. We use them all but for different things.

Our "workstation" PCs are a 8 year old Dell desktop and a 4 year old Dell laptop that my spouse and I use when we are going to sit down at a desk for an extended period and type stuff. I keep all my photos and financial files on my laptop (backed up locally and on the cloud) and my wife keeps all of her files on her desktop PC. I've got a backup service running on her machine that backs up her files without her knowing about it. I have to go in every couple of weeks or so to reset something or other that hasn't got updated properly. Her machine is also the print server for both our local wireless network and the Google chrome cloud.

For travel, she uses and old Apple Ipad and I use the chromebook and a smart phone. The phone is great when I'm in the car or walking around, but I've found I want a real screen and keyboard if I'm going to do some research while I'm traveling. (looking at destination websites etc.) I also used the chromebook when I was traveling in Europe because I didn't want to deal with a European data and cell plan for 4 weeks and just used a throwaway pay as you go dumb phone.

At home, I'm finding that I'm using the chromebook a lot. If I want to look at something quickly, or want to do a little surfing in my easy chair, the chromebook is faster, lighter, and cooler than the laptop and has better battery life.

I'm about 25% sucked into Google's cloud ecosystem. All of my mail is there and I'm starting to use Google office occasionally to create and edit documents that I want to have available when I'm away from home.

For example, I'm car shopping at the moment and its really handy to have a spreadsheet with the specs that I'm comparing accessable on my smart phone when I'm at the dealer. It's much, much easier to build this spreadsheet with a full sized screen and keyboard (eg chromebook or laptop) but I want to be able to jot in comments and notes right after I talk to the dealer. A google sheet is a great way to do this.
Lorne
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Valuethinker wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

It is workable for that?

Thank you very much.
My principal use for my Nexus 7 is to read magazines while on an exercise bike; no way could I use my Chromebook in that situation.

I have an two year old Acer Chromebook (C720), much appreciated for out of town trips, it does not measure up to my ThinKpad in terms of keyboard but then I don't think anything does!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

protagonist wrote:Those of you who do own them....what is the lure?

They seem to have so many limitations- local storage limitations, limitations on apps and software, limitations on what can be done offline, limitations on the type of printer, limited memory, lack of power (unless you buy the $1000 Pixel), etc.
Such limitations aren't issues for those that find them to be a good fit. Like anything else, needs/wants vary and it's up to the individual to find solutions suited to the individual. If a Chromebook is too limiting for you then you'll need to seek out other options.
protagonist wrote:Is it a second computer, or is it your primary computer?
It varies from person to person. My wife's primary is an iPad. Mine is top of the line Macbook Pro. Again, YMMV and you have to use what works for you. Why are you trying to justify something you've already ruled out?
Last edited by takeshi on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

At first I used it (Toshiba Chromebook 2) as a browser so i wouldn't have to fire up my 2009 Macbook. Now I use it for browsing, Netflix, and word-processing, spreadsheet, etc. I also like instead of a tablet because it has a keyboard - not a screen keyboard. Now I use my Macbook only for Quicken, iMovie, and iTunes.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
supton

Post by supton »

Wife had been buying business class laptops, and barely getting three years before something goes--and having to do warranty repairs in order to make those three years. She wanted/needed a portable machine. This time around she elected to get a decent desktop (which the kids are starting to use now), and a Chromebook, instead of a $$$$ laptop. So far she is pleased. The Chromebook is small and easy to travel with; and the desktop has the power and screen size for work. As long as she gets say 2 years out of the book, I think she'll be happy.

We'll see if this cheaper solution works longer than the 3 year laptops, and thus is a cheaper solution. Or not. Have to try different things sometimes.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

JMacDonald wrote:This conversation has me interested is getting one for traveling. Here is one I found on Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11-6-c ... Id=8610161 It seems so cheap, I am wondering if it is worth buying? Thanks.
I was thinking that traveling would be a good use for one as well.

That said, traveling is when you are most likely to not have wifi access. So it could be frustrating, no?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

My wife and I have the feeling that both Apple and Microsoft are systematically de-featuring and dumbing down their desktop OSes so that it is becoming more and more like a tablet. They are also getting harder and harder to use; there's more and more of the catch-22, you can't see where the controls are unless you already know where they are, invisible, undiscoverable stuff.

We both have tablets--she has an iPad, I have a Kindle Fire--and we are drifting toward them, not because they are good, but because the advantages of desktops are being systematically eroded.

Incidentally, on the whole I think the "One Laptop Per Child" and the XOXO machines were pretty much failures, but I think it's a darned shame because tablets should cost $100, not $300.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

protagonist wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:This conversation has me interested is getting one for traveling. Here is one I found on Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11-6-c ... Id=8610161 It seems so cheap, I am wondering if it is worth buying? Thanks.
I was thinking that traveling would be a good use for one as well.

That said, traveling is when you are most likely to not have wifi access. So it could be frustrating, no?
I would use it at motels with wifi, and various restaurants. No different than what I do now. I would rather take an inexpensive laptop than my MacBook Pro.
Best Wishes, | Joe
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I wonder if there would be a market for a chromeos tablet? I suppose you could make one cheaper than an android tablet as you would need less ram, processor power and storage?
Mike
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

nisiprius wrote:My wife and I have the feeling that both Apple and Microsoft are systematically de-featuring and dumbing down their desktop OSes so that it is becoming more and more like a tablet. They are also getting harder and harder to use; there's more and more of the catch-22, you can't see where the controls are unless you already know where they are, invisible, undiscoverable stuff.

We both have tablets--she has an iPad, I have a Kindle Fire--and we are drifting toward them, not because they are good, but because the advantages of desktops are being systematically eroded.
Nisiprius, you have a way with words! I share the exact same feeling about current technology trends.

It's almost like DOS wrapped in a flashy GUI. But instead of having to know secret a line code to navigate a field of text, you have to know a secret handshake/finger gesture to navigate a field of showy animations. The only advantage I can see is the learning curve is low. I saw this 2.5 year old on a plane navigating an iPad to watch video and play games. Someday very soon, I'll have to have my kid to unlock iGizmo :wink:
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

What's the lure? You decide.

Budget PC Laptop
- Cost: $300
- Specs: 'Good' on paper
- Weight: Heavy
- Performance: Poor
- Battery life: Short (hot)
- Wake/Sleep: Sluggish

High end PC Laptop
- Cost: $1k
- Specs: Excellent
- Weight: Light
- Performance: Excellent
- Battery Life: Medium (warm)
- Wake/Sleep: Fairly fast

Apple Laptop
- Cost: $1k+
- Specs: Excellent
- Weight: Very light
- Performance: Excellent
- Battery Life: Long (cool)
- Wake/Sleep: Instant

Chromebook
- Cost: $300
- Specs: 'Poor' on paper
- Weight: Very light
- Performance: Good enough
- Battery Life: Excellent (cool)
- Wake/Sleep: Instant
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

mhalley wrote:I wonder if there would be a market for a chromeos tablet? I suppose you could make one cheaper than an android tablet as you would need less ram, processor power and storage?
Mike
While not an expert I think that a chrome os tablet would essentially be an android tablet. Both chrome and android are based upon the Linux kernel. (I don't understand what that means beyond they're based on the same system.) I think Chromebooks are basically a branding of the same/similar OS. Please feel free to technically correct me.

Also here's a link https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 8175?hl=en

stating that google is starting to make popular android apps available in chrome on chromebooks. My read is they're moving in the direction you suggest but on the chromebook rather than vice versa.

BTW, any chromebooks with touch screens?
btenny

Post by btenny »

Chrome books sort of remind me of "thin client" computers that we used way back when. In the late 1970s and early 1980s we used to get forced to use "thin client computers" hooked to "a cloud IT department controlled mainframe" to do our engineering work. These ran a few applications but really would not do much without uploading data to the mainframe and running it there so no one used them much. It was just a cumbersome process. Same as a Chrome book. Little capability without the "cloud".

So back then we fought battles and paid the price for PCs and mini computers. Same as now, pay the price and get a good desk top computer or good laptop.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

btenny wrote:Chrome books sort of remind me of "thin client" computers that we used way back when. In the late 1970s and early 1980s we used to get forced to use "thin client computers" hooked to "a cloud IT department controlled mainframe" to do our engineering work. These ran a few applications but really would not do much without uploading data to the mainframe and running it there so no one used them much. It was just a cumbersome process. Same as a Chrome book. Little capability without the "cloud".
Conceptually that's what they are. Or looking back even further in time, the whole cloud computing concept is not much more than time sharing with dumb terminals. But the big difference is they didn't have the web then and all the things it makes available to the average person.
Last edited by cheese_breath on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

btenny wrote:Chrome books sort of remind me of "thin client" computers that we used way back when. In the late 1970s and early 1980s we used to get forced to use "thin client computers" hooked to "a cloud IT department controlled mainframe" to do our engineering work. These ran a few applications but really would not do much without uploading data to the mainframe and running it there so no one used them much. It was just a cumbersome process. Same as a Chrome book. Little capability without the "cloud".

So back then we fought battles and paid the price for PCs and mini computers. Same as now, pay the price and get a good desk top computer or good laptop.
What - you're still using a desktop computer today?

I've been in a thin client environment for years. These days it's called Linux View, MFU, VNC. Basically you just run a client to connect to a remote computer from anywhere. I do have a laptop, yes, but it's only for Office and for the thin client. The remote computer is no longer a mainframe but rather a cluster of disks and computers.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yep I agree. You are so right about all this "cloud" stuff being a rehash of centralized mainframe computing. I guess I am showing my age. I a can't wait until some big "cloud" provider goes broke or gets hacked and looses a bunch of client data. Or gets his servers knocked off line for a week or two. Just like happened to us but back when it was some "IT guy" calling the shots. How will the youngsters like it then?