iPhone 6 or 6 plus for light business travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Summit111

iPhone 6 or 6 plus for light business travel?

Post by Summit111 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:08 pm

My company furnishes me with an iPhone 5S. Due to my retirement this fall I will be purchasing my own iPhone 6 or 6 plus. I will be doing some part time consulting that will require business travel and was thinking of the best smart phone for the job.

DW has an iPhone 6 and I was thinking of getting a 6 plus due the larger screen size (Mail, Texting, Photos, Videos.) to eliminate carrying a laptop for short business trips. I held one and it didn't seem too unwieldy.

We're in the "Apple Eco-System" Any experiences you can share?

Thanks,
Summit

frugalecon

Re: iPhone 6 or 6 plus for light business travel?

Post by frugalecon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:15 pm

I still have the 5S myself, but it is a matter of time before I upgrade. I can see your reasoning on the 6 Plus, but I worry about carrying it when I don't have my briefcase or a jacket. Is it necessary to have a man purse?

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 pm

I found the larger size unwieldy, but the much longer battery life on the 6 Plus sold me. DW goes over 2 days without a charge sometimes.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:29 pm

I think its personal preference. I carry a MacBook Air 11" on trips in addition to an iPhone 6. An iPhone 6+ is too big for me.

I did add a Mophie juice pack to my iPhone 6 to increase rigidity as well as battery life. I bought the Mophie first for the battery but realized the phone had slightly bent due to carrying it my pocket (aka "bendgate"). The Mophie makes the phone much more rigid.

avenger

Post by avenger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:56 pm

I love my 6 plus. It has completely eliminated my need for a tablet, which I gave to my mother.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:03 pm

You didn't say whether you had an Apple Store nearby - it is completely worth it to handle them in person.

I thought I'd like the 6+ (similar situation as you, work was providing a new phone while I was coming off of a prior employers' old 4S) and ended up with a 6. It was quite large and I just couldn't find it very comfortable in a front pocket where I usually keep my phone (I have a wallet-style case so it would have been almost as big as an iPad mini).

But you may have a briefcase always with you and keep it in that, or a jacket. Another thing to consider is one-handed use - something else to check out while looking at it physically.

It may be a major hassle if you aren't local to a store to do an exchange, also switching it out (ownership receipt, reregistering) with a business account can be a hassle (i.e. prying out a copy of the paperwork and going through an exchange).

Five Scoop

Post by Five Scoop » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:47 pm

6 plus is great. Seems big at 1st but really helpful to have the extra space on the screen. You get used to the size quickly.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:02 pm

For me, actual work demands a physical keyboard. I like the feel of the 6 better in my hands. It's designed as more of a 1 handed device. I could probably get used to the 6+, but I thought it was overpriced.

Check out the new "Macbook". It's even smaller and lighter than the Macbook Air. I would pair an iPhone 6 hot spot to a Macbook and call it a day.

Mike

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 am

You can poll but preference plays a large role in this decision and you have to verify whether or not a phone can replace a laptop for the work you do.

NorthDakota

Post by NorthDakota » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:11 am

6 Plus no question! I have had the 6 and 6 plus and yes at first it seems large but you get used to it very quickly. I also got rid of my iPad after a couple weeks as the 6 plus is great for reading. The battery life is also very impressive. The 6 battery life is a joke in comparison. The camera on the 6 plus is also much better as it has image stabilization. Huge quality increase. I also recommend the basic leather apple case. Looks great and fits well.
My points and miles blog: thriftytraveler.com

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 am

My wife loves her IPhone 6 plus but she carries it in her purse. She loves it for the big maps and big text and big pictures so she does not need her glasses all the time. We used it so much on our vacation that we may not take a computer any more when we travel. Just the big phone.

My tile contractor carries a Note 5/6 with the giant screen. He carries it on a belt clip. He really uses the giant screen for tons of stuff. He takes notes and draws pictures of rooms and so forth with a stylis. He downloads these "drawings" directly into a program on the same phone and sends out complete written costs estimates with drawings etc. to me while he is setting in my house. He used to use a portable laptop and then a pad and now just the phone. Really good stuff.

I carry an old fashioned Blackberry Q10 because I like the real keyboard and big battery and it fits in my pants pocket. I am retired and do most of my computer stuff at home.

So different things for different people.
Good Luck.

jbird11

Post by jbird11 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:37 am

I have the 6 and it is PLENTY big for all the light business travel I do. 6+ is mammoth.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 am

I use 6 plus and that has become the primary for leisure trips. Depending on what type of consulting/business travel you do, you have to decide whether laptop is needed. For me laptop is essential for consulting travel and no phone/tablet can replace it.

Afty

Post by Afty » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am

Personally I like to bring 2 devices, a normal-sized smartphone (Nexus 5) to carry around, and a larger tablet (iPad) for more comfortable use. I really like the larger screen of the iPad, but it's small and light enough that it's not a burden to throw in your carryon. The battery life is also great. I could also see bringing an 11" Macbook Air instead of the iPad if you need to type long messages.

I also take a USB battery pack so I don't have to worry about running out of power.

kermit

Post by kermit » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:52 am

My vote would be to get a 6 and an iPad. The 6+ isn't for me. It's too large for me to comfortably use with one hand but it's too small to do serious typing on. Also, even though the 6+ has a better battery life, it's still not as good as an iPad. The iPad mini weighs basically nothing in my bag.

Right now I travel with my 6 and an iPad Mini. It works great!

furwut

Post by furwut » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Question for those with the 6+ - how do you carry the phone? In your pocket or somewhere else like a bag?

jane1

Post by jane1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:16 pm

furwut wrote:Question for those with the 6+ - how do you carry the phone? In your pocket or somewhere else like a bag?
In a jacket in fall/winter/spring. I don't use a purse. Back pocket of jeans when it is warmer. I take it out of the pocket when I sit down. I am also finding that I have started wearing cargo pants more often now! And once in a while, I keep it in a small shoulder bag.

Rosebud

Post by Rosebud » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:45 pm

6 Plus would be my recommendation if it isn't a problem carrying it. My iPad gets very little use and my 6+ is used all the time for email, photography, reading things on Kindle app, maps, Google, etc., etc. I have a little purse that has an outside pouch that the 6+ fits perfectly. Friends of mine have the 6 and I personally find the larger size of the 6+ to make a huge difference, particularly when I'm researching something on Safari.

If I were planning on primarily carrying it in a pocket, I'm not so sure how comfortable it would be.

Also, if you're planning on doing any word processing or anything that requires heavy use of keyboard, a tablet with an attachable keyboard would probably work better.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:17 pm

furwut wrote:Question for those with the 6+ - how do you carry the phone? In your pocket or somewhere else like a bag?
I'm a guy and I carry in front pocket. It fits just fine.

emkute

Post by emkute » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 pm

I like the 6+ and easily found a larger sized belt clip holder, similar to but larger than the standard belt clip holder for a 5 or a 6.
Every day is Saturday except for Sunday which comes around every now and then

avenger

Post by avenger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:28 am

I carry it in my pocket in my pants/jeans/shorts. If I'm wearing a jacket sometimes I'll put it in my jacket pocket.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:41 pm

avenger wrote:
I carry it in my pocket in my pants/jeans/shorts. If I'm wearing a jacket sometimes I'll put it in my jacket pocket.
Be careful with bending in a front pocket when you sit down. Problem is worse if you have a slim build (smaller radius) or wear tailored clothes (less fabric/tighter pocket).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:16 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (iPhone).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:37 am

I'm a frequent flyer (should reach 2MM miles before retirement in 5-7 years) and an iPad guy. I like the iPad for travel - it's my reading material (Kindle reader app), email device (the touch-typing sized keyboard is much better than a phone) and a couple of time-killing games like Sudoku and Chess. Now the Domestic (US) airlines let you keep it open during takeoff and landing, so I don't even need to carry the newspapers or magazines anymore.

Since I have the iPad, smaller is better for the phone. I would like something smaller than my iPhone 4, but that's as small as Apple gets.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

AWH_CPA

Post by AWH_CPA » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:15 am

I have the six plus. The wife has the six. I am able to put the plus in my pocket with no problems. After using the plus for a while even the normal six feels small. I would go with the plus.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm

I purchased 6 Plus (my first Smart Phone) about 6 months ago - and I like the larger size very much. I purchase a hard case - so it is safe to put in any pocket.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:22 pm

I went from BlackBerry to 6 Plus on retirement and think the 6P is great for travel. Biggest transition was not having push e-mail but since not working much anymore, not a huge issue. 6P is great for web access and I find the size not too bad even though it is giant compared to a Blackberry. Easily fits in front or back pockets but definitely want to take it out of a back pocket before sitting down.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 pm

6miths wrote:I went from BlackBerry to 6 Plus on retirement and think the 6P is great for travel. Biggest transition was not having push e-mail but since not working much anymore, not a huge issue. 6P is great for web access and I find the size not too bad even though it is giant compared to a Blackberry. Easily fits in front or back pockets but definitely want to take it out of a back pocket before sitting down.
With the hard case (front and back), I can safely put my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket and sit on it.